Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How excruciatingly annoying is Brian Kerr's commentary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

EazyD wrote: »
    Fair enough, if rote punditry is your thing there's always BBC/ITV I suppose.
    Now there's no need to bring in the Rote.

when I'm watching the actual match, I don't want to be jerked out of the moment, by commentary.

Otherwise, I'm ok with the whole (cough*) being er...jerked, em, thingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Add me to the Kerr fan club. He's brilliant, hope he's on more regularly, it's weird watching football on terrestrial tv where the co commentator actually knows what he's talking about and points out interesting stuff about the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Now there's no need to bring in the Rote.

when I'm watching the actual match, I don't want to be jerked out of the moment, by commentary.

Otherwise, I'm ok with the whole (cough*) being er...jerked, em, thingy.

Strange that you dislike him yet seem to have extracted all the notable lingo he used in the games broadcasted. Anyway I digress.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Add me to the Kerr fan club. He's brilliant, hope he's on more regularly, it's weird watching football on terrestrial tv where the co commentator actually knows what he's talking about and points out interesting stuff about the game.
    is that...George Best as your Avatar...????

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Coat22 wrote: »
    Couldn’t believe RTE had actually poached this thing from TV3.

Thing? Wtf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Kerr on Fellini "look at him dare runnin arow wind with de big micra foewind head of hare on him"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

vidor wrote: »
    Thing? Wtf.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

He is by far the best co-commentator on any of the channels. he is knowledgeable, does a good line in dry wit and is obviously an enthuasiatic football fan (lawrenson on the BBC is the complete opposite and just whines and moans through a game).

My one bugbear with him is if he has a point he wants to make he can get quite repetitive about it like the Robben diving, he must have mentioned it 20-30 times during the third place play off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Kerr has been a revelation for me this WC. For some reason, never really liked him when TV3 had him for the studio analysis, but he's been quality in his role as co-commentator. I really hope we see (hear) much more from him.

Do people seriously prefer Trevor Steven...or Ray Houghton? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Macavity. wrote: »
    No, you've a poor understanding of the understanding of the understanding of the game if you think Kerr doesn't have a poor understanding.

My head hurts just reading this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

I liked Brian Kerr till someone said he criticised Robben. Can't like anyone who gives out about Robben. Luv a man with a bald head, me.

is that last bit off topic.....sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Could not imagine the bores at BBC and ITV being half as insightful or interesting as Kerr, one of the better commentators at RTE imo.

Just because he hasn't got the 'right' accent is probably alot of people's problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ArtSmart wrote: »
    is that...George Best as your Avatar...????
    No, ian brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Listening to him talking about "Thomas Meweller" made me want to vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

auldgranny wrote: »
    I liked Brian Kerr till someone said he criticised Robben. Can't like anyone who gives out about Robben. Luv a man with a bald head, me.

is that last bit off topic.....sorry

auldgranny....... baldies.......

Wayne Rooney is ripping his implants out as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He knows his stuff, no dour abour ih, but his accent is dire and his diction is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Are people really that stupid as to base their opinion of a person solely on their accent?

Nobody's doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

To be fair about RTÉ's coverage, they are streaks ahead of BBC or ITV which seem to be full of 'yes-men' who have recently finished their careers and are looking to kick-start a career in media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

He's relatively tactically astute; usually knowledgeable beyond premier league cliché and not an intemperate drunk so therefore not really suitable for most Irish armchair experts..

• Advertisement

Strange that you dislike him yet seem to have extracted all the notable lingo he used in the games broadcasted. Anyway I digress.
    And that was from ONLY TEN MINUTES OF LISTENING!!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Macavity. wrote: »
    His commentary made me want to kill myself.

Ray Houghton thread > > > > > > >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,724 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I heard a familiar whine, don’t tell me he’s back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

"ah that's too much like bank talk"

They haven’t learned anything, it appears.

He’s back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

They haven’t learned anything, it appears.

He’s back.

There's nothing to learn.

• Advertisement

There's nothing to learn.

Apart from losing audience, unfortunately.

Would have to say, not surprised, but couldn’t take the lad for more than a few minutes.

Nothing personal, but hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Must say I think Kerr is an excellent pundit. The accent isn’t great, but he knows his stuff and has a nice turn of phrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

Would have to say, not surprised, but couldn’t take the lad for more than a few minutes.

Obviously not a football fan.

He’s one of the best Co-commentators and analysts around at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

He knows his stuff. The accent is just the cream on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I think he sounds hilarious. Like a fella ranting on the Luas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He's fcuking great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I tuned in when you said he was on, so net loss of 0 :cool:

I tuned in when you said he was on, so net loss of 0 :cool:

Thanks, he’s a nice lad really, but very hard on the ears, can’t take to him at all.

Each to his own eh:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Kerr is amazing, it's a travesty they haven't put up a statue of him yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,129 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So genuine. Speaks his heart and mind. A million times better thsn some say nothing upset no one bland nobody.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Thanks, he’s a nice lad really, but very hard on the ears, can’t take to him at all.

Each to his own eh:rolleyes:

What’s your thoughts on Mick McCarthy, Brendan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I like him and his commentary can be great.

Also, he did a lot of good work with youth teams.
    I knew a fella who worked with him in that capacity and he said he was a decent sort.

he sounds like an oul drunk in the chipper on the walkinstown roundabout on a saturday night

In the Kestrel?

How the lad is tolerated has me bet into a cocked hat.

Brian Kerr is a national treasure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I'm not a huge fan of the self-aggrandising "he's a proper salt o'de ert Dub" stuff you get from his fans. They're the type who think that the "inner city Dub" is somehow under-represented on our airways, even though they're a totally dominant demographic in Irish fiction and non-fiction alike. I'll never understand why people down in the capital are so fascinated with the social classes and groups that make up their population and feel the need to hoist that fascination with the rest of us.

That being said, Kerr himself is said to be a top man and knows his soccer inside out. So I don't mind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

How the lad is tolerated has me bet into a cocked hat.

Shurrup yew, ye fucken tick. He's bleedin' deadly 'n all 'n anyways.

I'm not particularly into football, but I could happily listen to him talking about it for hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The documentary "In League With Gaddafi" was an interesting watch.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Kerr does play up the auld Dubliner act a bit but he knows his stuff and i think he's a good commentator.

Pity he actually had to become a pundit because the FAI, in their infinite spite, couldn't find a place again for an underage coach of his calibre once he left the senior setup.

Wasn't enough of a Yes man by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Real pity he was never given a proper crack at managing the senior squad.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

As a donegal person, I love his working class dublin accent. Much better than Ryle nugent and the other marble mouth lads that are on Irish sports programs.

He is also someone who geniunely cares for Irish football and we need him in a senior position in the new FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Kerr does play up the auld Dubliner act a bit but he knows his stuff and i think he's a good commentator.

Plays up the comedian a bit too he once linked messiah‘s diminutive stature to his small feet. To a small ‘you know wha’. Messi’s a size 10

John Doe1 wrote: »
    As a donegal person, I love his working class dublin accent. Much better than Ryle nugent and the other marble mouth lads that are on Irish sports programs.

He is also someone who geniunely cares for Irish football and we need him in a senior position in the new FAI.

Lookit, if we are looking for a ‘new FAI’ we don’t need the blasts from the past.

Clear the lot out, the Inchicore weasel included.

Get professionals in, not chancers and barrow boys.

We’ve had enough of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Must say I think Kerr is an excellent pundit. The accent isn’t great, but he knows his stuff and has a nice turn of phrase.

I think he's very enjoyable to listen to. He's a pure football man so can easily commentate without feeling the need to add drama.

I'd take him any day over McEntyre off newstalk & virgin, who absolutely shoots his load anytime the ball gets close to the goal. Horrible commentary to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

Lookit, if we are looking for a ‘new FAI’ we don’t need the blasts from the past.

Clear the lot out, the Inchicore weasel included.

Get professionals in, not chancers and barrow boys.

We’ve had enough of them.

The Inchicore what now?

Are they not all professionals there already?

Advertisement