Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How excruciatingly annoying is Brian Kerr's commentary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

That's a fair point re: D4 accent but for some reason Kerr's accent gets the most stick when lots of others don't. Nobody complaining about (forgive my ignorance) a culchie accented lad on the GAA. To that ye might say again that at least he has a 'grasp of the english language' but I think if you look at some other football co-commentators and even panelists they have idiosyncracies in their speech or use of grammar. I put it to you that psychologically, Kerr's dublin accent causes some to be more analytical of very minor grammatical errors based on prejudicial views about the educational levels of people who speak in that way.

But oih cud be taaahlkin out me bleedin' hoop!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Macavity. wrote: »
    He has a poor understanding of the game as well as a chalk scratching the blackboard type voice.

You've a poor understanding of the understanding of the game if you think Kerr has a poor understanding. He's very knowledgeable about football, certainly more so than anyone else in RTÉ - including the great players they have such as Whelan, Giles and Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Thud

He's a great man for spotting players that are "just lacking that bit of guyal.."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You've a poor understanding of the understanding of the game if you think Kerr has a poor understanding. He's very knowledgeable about footballcertainly more so than anyone else in RTÉ - including the great players they have such as Whelan, Giles and Brady.

*head explodes*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Birneybau wrote: »
    *head explodes*

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I think it was Kerr’s ramblings on Saturday night that started it for me but I have lost interest in listening to sport on RTE full stop.

I can’t stand Kerr on TV. Actually think he’s a good coach so its got to be an accent thing. His continuous attacks on Robben on Saturday were cringeful too. Right Brian – he dives – we get it, no need to remind us every 60 seconds. Could a producer not have had a word? Couldn’t believe RTE had actually poached this thing from TV3. Amazing.

But then on Sunday I turned on the GAA. Colm O’Rourke spouting s**t from a table in the middle of a field in Mayo trying to mimmick I’m not sure who. But it got worse – the Munster hurling final with Ger “Smug B*****d” Loughnane and Cyril “Won an All Ireland 30 years ago” Farrell – I couldn’t listen to it. Turned off and went outside with the kids.

Then back to the World Cup Final and the best anchor on TV bows out but we are left with the freak show that is Giles and Dumphy. Someone make it stop please. Put them out to retirement along Gay Byrne. Why is my licence fee spent lining the pockets of these people who have had nothing to say of interest for 20 years?

But nothing will change. We will be listening to all these ramblers in 10 years time and hark back to the days of Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

EazyD wrote: »
    Are people really that stupid as to base their opinion of a person solely on their accent?
    WHA'???

KURSE NOT.

lol.

As I've said, it aint the accent. The accent is harmless enough, true down the Dargle Dub stuff. No probs there.

It's the fooking incessant chatter, the I wudda done different thingy and the fooking INCESSANT CHATTER!!!!!

otherwise, shure he's grand.

Thud wrote: »
    He's a great man for spotting players that are "just lacking that bit of guyal.."
    lol x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Needs to show dat bit of guyal, dat fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

ArtSmart wrote: »
    WHA'???

KURSE NOT.

lol.

As I've said, it aint the accent. The accent is harmless enough, true down the Dargle Dub stuff. No probs there.

It's the fooking incessant chatter, the I wudda done different thingy and the fooking INCESSANT CHATTER!!!!!

otherwise, shure he's grand.

Fair enough, if rote punditry is your thing there's always BBC/ITV I suppose.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, if rote punditry is your thing there's always BBC/ITV I suppose.
    Now there's no need to bring in the Rote.

when I'm watching the actual match, I don't want to be jerked out of the moment, by commentary.

Otherwise, I'm ok with the whole (cough*) being er...jerked, em, thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Add me to the Kerr fan club. He's brilliant, hope he's on more regularly, it's weird watching football on terrestrial tv where the co commentator actually knows what he's talking about and points out interesting stuff about the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Now there's no need to bring in the Rote.

when I'm watching the actual match, I don't want to be jerked out of the moment, by commentary.

Otherwise, I'm ok with the whole (cough*) being er...jerked, em, thingy.

Strange that you dislike him yet seem to have extracted all the notable lingo he used in the games broadcasted. Anyway I digress.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Add me to the Kerr fan club. He's brilliant, hope he's on more regularly, it's weird watching football on terrestrial tv where the co commentator actually knows what he's talking about and points out interesting stuff about the game.
    is that...George Best as your Avatar...????

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Coat22 wrote: »
    Couldn’t believe RTE had actually poached this thing from TV3.

Thing? Wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Kerr on Fellini "look at him dare runnin arow wind with de big micra foewind head of hare on him"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

vidor wrote: »
    Thing? Wtf.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

He is by far the best co-commentator on any of the channels. he is knowledgeable, does a good line in dry wit and is obviously an enthuasiatic football fan (lawrenson on the BBC is the complete opposite and just whines and moans through a game).

My one bugbear with him is if he has a point he wants to make he can get quite repetitive about it like the Robben diving, he must have mentioned it 20-30 times during the third place play off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Kerr has been a revelation for me this WC. For some reason, never really liked him when TV3 had him for the studio analysis, but he's been quality in his role as co-commentator. I really hope we see (hear) much more from him.

Do people seriously prefer Trevor Steven...or Ray Houghton? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Macavity. wrote: »
    No, you've a poor understanding of the understanding of the understanding of the game if you think Kerr doesn't have a poor understanding.

My head hurts just reading this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

I liked Brian Kerr till someone said he criticised Robben. Can't like anyone who gives out about Robben. Luv a man with a bald head, me.

is that last bit off topic.....sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Could not imagine the bores at BBC and ITV being half as insightful or interesting as Kerr, one of the better commentators at RTE imo.

Just because he hasn't got the 'right' accent is probably alot of people's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

is that...George Best as your Avatar...????
    No, ian brown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Listening to him talking about "Thomas Meweller" made me want to vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

auldgranny wrote: »
    I liked Brian Kerr till someone said he criticised Robben. Can't like anyone who gives out about Robben. Luv a man with a bald head, me.

is that last bit off topic.....sorry

auldgranny....... baldies.......

Wayne Rooney is ripping his implants out as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He knows his stuff, no dour abour ih, but his accent is dire and his diction is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Are people really that stupid as to base their opinion of a person solely on their accent?

Nobody's doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

To be fair about RTÉ's coverage, they are streaks ahead of BBC or ITV which seem to be full of 'yes-men' who have recently finished their careers and are looking to kick-start a career in media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

He's relatively tactically astute; usually knowledgeable beyond premier league cliché and not an intemperate drunk so therefore not really suitable for most Irish armchair experts..

• Advertisement

Strange that you dislike him yet seem to have extracted all the notable lingo he used in the games broadcasted. Anyway I digress.
    And that was from ONLY TEN MINUTES OF LISTENING!!!

:D

Advertisement