Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How excruciatingly annoying is Brian Kerr's commentary?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He is undoubtedly a very knowledgeable man when it comes to football and I respect him for that. But I cannot listen to him. Excruciating on the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Kerr's my favorite RTE commentator.He obviously knows his stuff

"the doctor wouldn't want to get blood on his suit would he" - Brian Kerr, Holland vs Brasil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Knowledgeable about football
    Witty
    Pronouces names well
    Can explain and dictate the goings on during the match

BUT.......

He has a working class Dublin accent, so let's all slate him because we're small-minded idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It always amazes me how worked up people get about commentators. It's just background noise to the football for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Witty
    Pronouces names well

BUT.......

He has a working class Dublin accent, so let's all slate him because we're small-minded idiots
    Not right on this part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Witty
    Pronouces names well

I disagree on the last three points.

osarusan wrote: »
    Not right on this part.

Compared to George Hamilton and his Oh-Zeal for Ozil and the generally shoddy attempts from most of the Irish pundits/commentators, he's much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's clearly the best, most insightful and knowledgeable analyst in TV right now. Sadly there's a big degree of a snobbery and anti-Dublin bias over his accent which some people can't see past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

He is a bit harsh on the ears, but he's decent and can be quite funny sometimes, sounded drunk and very shouty for the 3rd place playoff match though.

Either way he's better than Andy ruddy Townsend...

"Better"

"That's better"

"That's more like it, Clive"

"Oh, not for me, Clive"

That's basically all he ever says!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Have heard him on the radio a few times over the WC. Would imagine he's a bit of an acquired taste because I certainly couldn't listen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

geeksauce wrote: »
    Reminds me of Sid Waddell, most normal people find him unbearable to listen too, however the chances of him being sacked are ruined by a few of the less normal people thinking he is wonderful and hilarious.

I may be able to tolerate Brian if he changed his accent whilst commentating but alas I believe I may never find out if he is tolerable as the accent doesn't seem to bother him. (just 99% of the rest of the worlds population)

You want him to change his accent whilst on air. Ah now. What are you looking for, someone with a mid-Atlantic voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Funny how no-one demands that Michael Muircheartaigh, Brian Carthy or Marty Morrisey change their accents, but as soon as there's a Dublin accent on the TV it has to be 'tailored'.

Funny how no-one demands that Michael Muircheartaigh, Brian Carthy or Marty Morrisey change their accents, but as soon as there's a Dublin accent on the TV it has to be 'tailored'.

I was in Cork when Paul Doolin was announced as the manager for Cork City and pretty much every local radio station had to comment on his accent and mention how it wouldn't go down well in Cork.

There's a lot of very small people in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Compared to George Hamilton and his Oh-Zeal for Ozil and the generally shoddy attempts from most of the Irish pundits/commentators, he's much better
    Hamilton speaks fluent German and has talked many time about how he always makes a point of talking to a native speaker of the language of the country to get the pronunciation as accurate as possible.

About the only thing Hamilton does well is get the names right (he doesn't seem to understand the offside rule or the concept of away goals), he only sounds so different because the other commentators don't bother to make the effort.

Yeah, all the people clamouring for Dunphy, Giles and Brady to change their accent, it's hard to keep track of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Could be worse could be RODDY COLLINS !!!

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Yeah, all the people clamouring for Dunphy, Giles and Brady to change their accent, it's hard to keep track of.
    But they already have nice "normal" accents.

How did that howiye get a job with that accent

KungPao wrote: »

Do they? They all have Dublin accents. And I'm not exactly fond of Brady's either. The fact is not everyone has a sonorous voice. When you're a broadcaster that matters. It's perfectly valid to find a voice grating and nothing to do with snobbery, regions or anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

How did that howiye get a job with that accent

He got the job because he knows what he's talking about......if that criteria was applied to all co-commentators, there would be far fewer of them.....and that wouldn't be such a bad thing imo....

If his accent is such an issue....bye bye to Kenny and Ritchie......and hopefully Ray also.....
    Maybe everyone in RTE should be signed up to Speech and Drama classes

• Advertisement

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Do they? They all have Dublin accents. And I'm not exactly fond of Brady's either. The fact is not everyone has a sonorous voice. When you're a broadcaster that matters. It's perfectly valid to find a voice grating and nothing to do with snobbery, regions or anything else.
    Giles and Dunphy have nice soft accents to my ear. Chippy is a more "working class", but I don't see any problem with that.

RTE seem to have a system anyway...for Soccer the experts must be from Dublin and not have a D4 accent. For Rugby, the more upper class the better (even the anchor has a well-to-do English accent), and for GAA, Dubs are banned from the studio.

Now, I don't watch GAA or Rugby at all, so I may be talking out of my backside! But at a glance this seems to be the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

He kept Alkin quiet. That will do for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

You mean they have accents like your own...

I think hes great, very entertaining and was a great manager too.
    As for Paul Doolin I cant see what that point has to do with the thread. If Shamrock Rovers were being managed by someone with a strong Cork accent there might be a few on air jokes about it, big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Witty
    Pronouces names well

That's Tim Vickery right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

With Billo stepping down now's the time for a cabinet re-shuffle. Kerr in as main co-commentator, send Ray Houghton to the back benches. I can imagine Rays reaction...."you took the wrong option there...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I was in Cork when Paul Doolin was announced as the manager for Cork City and pretty much every local radio station had to comment on his accent and mention how it wouldn't go down well in Cork.

There's a lot of very small people in this country

I thought the leprachauns were extinct?

Anyway, Brian Kerr is good, much better than Peter 'The Robot' Collins.

Flem31 wrote: »
    He got the job because he knows what he's talking about......if that criteria was applied to all co-commentators, there would be far fewer of them.....and that wouldn't be such a bad thing imo....

If his accent is such an issue....bye bye to Kenny and Ritchie......and hopefully Ray also.....
    Maybe everyone in RTE should be signed up to Speech and Drama classes

I agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I like Brian Kerr , he can be funny but he also has great knowlegde of the game . He is much better then most of the commentators out there .

Giles and Dunphy have nice soft accents to my ear. Chippy is a more "working class", but I don't see any problem with that.

RTE seem to have a system anyway...for Soccer the experts must be from Dublin and not have a D4 accent. For Rugby, the more upper class the better (even the anchor has a well-to-do English accent), and for GAA, Dubs are banned from the studio.

Now, I don't watch GAA or Rugby at all, so I may be talking out of my backside! But at a glance this seems to be the way.

I think you are thinking a little more deeply about this than anyone at RTE is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Stephen Alkin/Brian Kerr combo is the stuff of nightmares when it comes to professional sports broadcasting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Are people really that stupid as to base their opinion of a person solely on their accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Hidalgo wrote: »
    You want him to change his accent whilst on air. Ah now. What are you looking for, someone with a mid-Atlantic voice

No not at all just anyone that doesn't have his accent. And to be fair if he was going to change it whilst on air I would recommend he changes it full time. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭baldbear

Hes a geat commentator and knows his stuff. Alot of people here judging him on his accent yis big "floopy head " eejits.

• Site Banned Posts: 65 ✭✭Cerveja69

'e purra gra'e ball into the box dere. Wirra birra luck dey cud get true dis gayim.

I like him though but you'd think working in media he'd stop with the "purra" carry on! Better than Jim "It was always going wide" Beglin anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

I never thought there was anything wrong with his voice. He has a great knowledge of and enthuasism for the game. Instead of listening to waffle and cliches it is good to hear someone with a good technical understanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Kerr makes a game worth watching even if it's crap.

People saying he sounds like a knacker/scobe whatever, projecting every negative feeling they have about the worst person they can imagine with that accent onto the man because he speaks similarly? It's not like he's drooling on the mic repeating 'spaaare changgge budddd'.

He speaks clearly, is obviously the most passionate man about football in the organisation and some people here would prefer to listen to Peter-Cardboard-Cutout-Collins who doesn't even sound like a human, should be narrating over operas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

...even the anchor has a well-to-do English accent...
    Tom McGurk has an English accent now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

baldbear wrote: »
    Hes a geat commentator and knows his stuff. Alot of people here judging him on his accent yis big "floopy head " eejits.

He has a poor understanding of the game as well as a chalk scratching the blackboard type voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Kerr is dreadful.

I might be in the minority here, but I pay my tv licence and I think that the least that can be expected of the state broadcaster is to employ people that have a solid grasp of the English language.

There's nothing worse than listening to him 'He done well there' etc it really is awful.

Oh, and his accent is horrible. If it was a D4 accent it would be perfectly acceptable to dislike it, just because its a Dublin working class accent doesn't mean its above reproach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Macavity. wrote: »
    He has a poor understanding of the game as well as a chalk scratching the blackboard type voice.
    Seriously? There's more knowledge and understanding in Kerr's pinky finger than the collective rest of RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

That's a fair point re: D4 accent but for some reason Kerr's accent gets the most stick when lots of others don't. Nobody complaining about (forgive my ignorance) a culchie accented lad on the GAA. To that ye might say again that at least he has a 'grasp of the english language' but I think if you look at some other football co-commentators and even panelists they have idiosyncracies in their speech or use of grammar. I put it to you that psychologically, Kerr's dublin accent causes some to be more analytical of very minor grammatical errors based on prejudicial views about the educational levels of people who speak in that way.

But oih cud be taaahlkin out me bleedin' hoop!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Macavity. wrote: »

You've a poor understanding of the understanding of the game if you think Kerr has a poor understanding. He's very knowledgeable about football, certainly more so than anyone else in RTÉ - including the great players they have such as Whelan, Giles and Brady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Thud

He's a great man for spotting players that are "just lacking that bit of guyal.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You've a poor understanding of the understanding of the game if you think Kerr has a poor understanding. He's very knowledgeable about footballcertainly more so than anyone else in RTÉ - including the great players they have such as Whelan, Giles and Brady.

*head explodes*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Birneybau wrote: »
    *head explodes*

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I think it was Kerr’s ramblings on Saturday night that started it for me but I have lost interest in listening to sport on RTE full stop.

I can’t stand Kerr on TV. Actually think he’s a good coach so its got to be an accent thing. His continuous attacks on Robben on Saturday were cringeful too. Right Brian – he dives – we get it, no need to remind us every 60 seconds. Could a producer not have had a word? Couldn’t believe RTE had actually poached this thing from TV3. Amazing.

But then on Sunday I turned on the GAA. Colm O’Rourke spouting s**t from a table in the middle of a field in Mayo trying to mimmick I’m not sure who. But it got worse – the Munster hurling final with Ger “Smug B*****d” Loughnane and Cyril “Won an All Ireland 30 years ago” Farrell – I couldn’t listen to it. Turned off and went outside with the kids.

Then back to the World Cup Final and the best anchor on TV bows out but we are left with the freak show that is Giles and Dumphy. Someone make it stop please. Put them out to retirement along Gay Byrne. Why is my licence fee spent lining the pockets of these people who have had nothing to say of interest for 20 years?

But nothing will change. We will be listening to all these ramblers in 10 years time and hark back to the days of Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

EazyD wrote: »
    Are people really that stupid as to base their opinion of a person solely on their accent?
    WHA'???

KURSE NOT.

lol.

As I've said, it aint the accent. The accent is harmless enough, true down the Dargle Dub stuff. No probs there.

It's the fooking incessant chatter, the I wudda done different thingy and the fooking INCESSANT CHATTER!!!!!

otherwise, shure he's grand.

Thud wrote: »
    He's a great man for spotting players that are "just lacking that bit of guyal.."
    lol x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Needs to show dat bit of guyal, dat fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

ArtSmart wrote: »
    WHA'???

KURSE NOT.

lol.

As I've said, it aint the accent. The accent is harmless enough, true down the Dargle Dub stuff. No probs there.

It's the fooking incessant chatter, the I wudda done different thingy and the fooking INCESSANT CHATTER!!!!!

otherwise, shure he's grand.

Fair enough, if rote punditry is your thing there's always BBC/ITV I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement