Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Cake Controversy!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

osarusan wrote: »
    Who did they discriminate against?

Really?????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

old hippy wrote: »
    Mr McArthur added: "I would like the outcome of this to be that, any Christians running a business could be allowed to follow their Christian beliefs and principles in the day-to-day running of their business and that they are allowed to make decisions based on that."

Translation - "we should allow to discriminate as we see fit based on an archaic collection of tales that have no bearing on modern life"

Equality legislation also protects the right to hold particular religious beliefs. A bakery owned by a Muslim family could also claim that the message on the cake is offensive to their religious beliefs and forcing them to provide the cake would be against equality legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Really?????
    Really.

The man who ordered the cake is called Gareth Lee.

Is there any evidence that they even knew he was gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Equality legislation also protects the right to hold particular religious beliefs. A bakery owned by a Muslim family could also claim that the message on the cake is offensive to their religious beliefs and forcing them to provide the cake would be against equality legislation.

Wrong. Religion is one of the grounds that a person cannot be discriminated against. The 'type' of religous belief is irrelevant in this case. You can swap out Christian for Muslim or the the Flying Spaghetti Monster it makes no difference whatsoever. It was the Bakery that refused to provide the customer with the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

gozunda wrote: »
    Wrong. Religion is one of the grounds that a person cannot be discriminated against. The 'type' of religous belief is irrelevant in this case. You can swap out Christian for Muslim or the the Flying Spaghetti Monster it makes no difference whatsoever. It was the Bakery that refused to provide the customer with the order.

You can also swap Support Gay Marriage Queerspace for Support a United Ireland Eirigi. If a bakery decides that neither is something they want to put on a cake they should have the right to refuse.

• Advertisement

Really?

The man who ordered the cake is called Gareth Lee.

Is there any evidence that they even knew he was gay?

I imagine the cake design kind of gave it away, don't you?

Only a gay person could have ordered such a cake?

Again, is there any evidence that they knew he was gay?

You can also swap Support Gay Marriage Queerspace for Support a United Ireland Eirigi. If a bakery decides that neither is something they want to put on a cake they should have the right to refuse.

That's Irrelevant. 'Should' ie your opinion or 'Does' Ie what is actually in the legislation ? There is a very real difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Could I not order the same cake as a straight man?

Could I not order the same cake as a straight man?

That has only be suggested here for the nth time! I suggest you take a look at the actual legislation and give them a call if there are any questions or do as you suggest and order a cake!

http://www.equalityni.org/Home

• Advertisement

That has only be suggested here for the nth time! I suggest you take a look at the actual legislation and give them a call if there are any questions or do as you suggest and order a cake!

The letter sent by the equality commission mentions discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation.

Is there evidence to suggest (apart from the 'evidence' of the design of the cake, which is an extraordinarily ignorant comment) that the bakery staff/management were aware of the sexual orientation of the customer?

Yeah, that doesn't answer my question. As a heterosexual, who fully supports gay marriage, could I not order that cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,933 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The letter sent by the equality commission mentions discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation.

Is there evidence to suggest (apart from the 'evidence' of the design of the cake, which is an extraordinarily ignorant comment) that the bakery staff/management were aware of the sexual orientation of the customer?

Does there need to be?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yeah, that doesn't answer my question. As a heterosexual, who fully supports gay marriage, could I not order that cake?

Yeah but it had been answered nth times as well! Go order your cake. Be happy!

Does there need to be?
    I think it would hard to argue that the discriminated against the customer based on their sexual orientation if they are not aware of the customer's sexual orientation.

We would then be getting into the issue of whether a bakery has the right to refuse to put such a message on a cake, regardless of who ordered it.

Only a gay person could have ordered such a cake?

Again, is there any evidence that they knew he was gay?

Obfuscation. The customer was discriminated against. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it.

End of.

Yeah but it had been answered nth times as well! Go order your cake. Be happy!

Okay. So, would the bakery have completed the order for me as a heterosexual man?

1. Why is it 'extraodinarly ignorant' in your opinion?

Okay. So, would the bakery have completed the order for me as a heterosexual man?

Is that the same as a 'straight' man. That you asked about previously?

1. Why is it 'ignorant' in your opinion?

Are we sure they knew the customer was gay?

Look at the cake he ordered - what else could he be?

Extraordinarily ignorant in at least two ways - it reinforces some stereotypes about gay men, and ignores the support that is offered to the gay rights movement by heterosexuals.

• Advertisement

Obfuscation. The customer was discriminated against. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it.

End of.

Except for posters like flogg and joeyparrot, who say you are talking through your arse.

Extraordinarily ignorant in at least two ways - it reinforces some stereotypes about gay men, and ignores the support that is offered to the gay rights movement by heterosexuals.

Oh, I see what you're doing. Clever.
    Except for people like flogg and joeyparrot, who say you are talking through your arse.

They are entitled to their opinion. I know discrimination when I see it.

Is that the same as a 'straight' man. That you asked about previously?

Tell me which term you have a problem you have a problem with and I won't use it again but the question still remains. You seem to go out of your way to not answer questions properly.

Sorry I lost. So you are saying the customer was ignorant in ordering a cake with a message relevant to supporting gay marriage and civil rights
    Or
    The message itself is ignorant because of its wording or the use of cartoon figures!

Does the cake / message have to 'acknowledge' support of heterosexuals/ Martians / the granny? And more importantly why?

Tell me which term you have a problem you have a problem with and I won't use it again but the question still remains. You seem to go out of your way to not answer questions properly.

As I said it has been put up as a question and answered many times in this thread already. As I said go order your cake and be happy. What's the problem?

Sorry I lost. So you are saying the customer was ignorant in ordering a cake with a message relevant to supporting gay marriage and civil rights

Why should I respond to somebody who is happy to build pathetic strawman arguments?

That's not the issue and not what the EC has brought action over. It's in the letter. Read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭golfball37

Any business is perfectly within their rights to refuse somebody's custom.

Another storm in a teacup made into a big issue by the minority who want to promote their victimhood agenda on the rest of us.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Any business is perfectly within their rights to refuse somebody's custom.

As long as they're not breaking the law by refusing custom.

It remains to be seen if that is the case here.

• Advertisement

Why should I respond to somebody who is happy to build pathetic strawman arguments?

Your post didn't make sense imo. Hence the questions.

Advertisement