Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Cake Controversy!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

One reason is that same sex couples cannot ever produce children without the parentage involving someone else outside of the relationship. Which could have a bearing on inheritance rights. And is an argument that same sex marriage cannot be exactly the same as man woman marriage. Whether it is a rational argument depends on ones point of view and does not make someone homophobic.

I get it that you are opposed to same sex marriage - what had that got to do with the issue of discrimination that this matter has raised except that you sign up to the beliefs held by the bakery?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

gozunda wrote: »
    And you are equating marriage between
    Two consenting adults (Currently an issue of civil rights) with a sexual attack on a corpse??

Boy you are one sick puppy

There is no such thing as marriage between two consenting adults unless they are of opposites sexes. The marriage law does not provided for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

old hippy wrote: »
    One is a message of hatred and persecution & one is a message of tolerance and love.

So basically, its ok to refuse when you disagree with the message, and not ok when you do agree with it. Got it.

For the record, I think the bakery are dicks. But so are the customers who went out of their way to find a religious bakery to garner some free attention for their event, even though it may well destroy said bakery. These jerks deserve each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

osarusan wrote: »
    The question of whether or not a heterosexual customer would have also been refused is not some irrelevance - it is central to the issue of establishing whether this is a case of discrimination.

Not necessarily no.

Again, you are all arguing about what is or isn't against the law, but few of you actually understand the law.

Why don't you stick to be debating what should be classed as discrimination, not what is.

And you are equating the issue of marriage between Two consenting adults (Currently an issue of civil rights) with a sexual attack on a corpse??

Boy you are one sick puppy

There is no such thing as marriage between two consenting adults unless they are of opposites sexes. The marriage law does not provided for anything else.

I have clarified that to make it a bit easier to understand ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I put the word Ever in my sentence for exactly that reason.

Still a load of old pony, at the end of the day.
    Jester252 wrote: »
    Can you answer the question?

Obfuscation.

It will. Very soon. How do you feel about that?
    So basically, its ok to refuse when you disagree with the message, and not ok when you do agree with it. Got it.

For the record, I think the bakery are dicks. But so are the customers who went out of their way to find a religious bakery to garner some free attention for their event, even though it may well destroy said bakery. These jerks deserve each other.

The bakers are sending out a message of hatred. It deserves to go under.

As for your tattoo nonsense. Obfuscation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

As for your tattoo nonsense. Obfuscation.

A precedent in this case will definitely have legal implications for tattoo artists in Northern Ireland, no question about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Obfuscation.

So you can't answer a simple yes or no question?

or

You don't want to answer it because it will put a nice whole in your argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

You do know necrophillia is illegal? Or are you just sick?

Do you know how an analogy works? Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick…

• Advertisement

Is it discrimination when a Jewish tattoo artist refuses to tattoo a swastikas on a neo-nazi. If the message doesn't matter than he discriminated against the neo-nazi.

I will post this again for your benefit as there seems to be some difficulty of understanding ...
    I refuse to tattoo swastikas, wolfangels etc. Am I wrong to do that?

Context is everything. The bakery representative refusal was stated as follows:

"This order was at odds with our beliefs and in contradiction with what the Bible teaches".

And they did in the knowledge that the order was for a LGBT event.

No mention of the message. This is what has got them into trouble. Simple

Obfuscation.

You're getting great value for money out of that word of the day website…

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Has this been established?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A precedent in this case will definitely have legal implications for tattoo artists in Northern Ireland, no question about it.

And for lots of other businesses. If a printer who is a Muslim is asked by a customer to print material promoting Same Sex Marriage and he refuses he could be subject to the very same complaint as the baker is facing. Even though his refusal had nothing whatever to do with the sexual orientation of the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

I will post this again for your benefit as there seems to be some difficulty of understanding ...
    I refuse to tattoo swastikas, wolfangels etc. Am I wrong to do that?

"This order was at odds with our beliefs and in contradiction with what the Bible teaches".

No mention of the message. This is what has got them into trouble. Simple

Operative word there. Order, which was a cake. Not the customers sexuality.

And 'christian' bakeries, and gay people and civil rights and well lots of others ...

And for lots of other businesses. If a printer who is a Muslim is asked by a customer to print material promoting Same Sex Marriage and he refuses he could be subject to the very same complaint as the baker is facing.

Indeed. I'll just highlight last year's printing controversy again, because it is very relevant to the current issue - and it seems there was no legal action taken to date.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/mar/29/printer-refuses-publish-gay-magazine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

osarusan wrote: »
    Has this been established?

Think so
    The gay rights activist customer who ordered the cake also wanted the logo of a campaign group called Queerspace included.

Operative word there. Order, which was a cake. Not the customers sexuality.

And the order was made by _ _ _ _
    for _ _ _ _ who are _ _ _ _

I left it so you can fill in the spaces yourself.

We should get a few good suggestions for that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

It doesn't matter given it was the order itself and not the customer which resulted in the refusal of service.

Same as the tattoo artist having an issue with the content of the tattoo rather than having an issue with the customer themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Can you proof the order was placed by a LGBT person?

They never mention an issue with the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

As you previously posted it was the order they had a problem with not _ _ _ _ who are _ _ _ _

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    As you previously posted it was the order they had a problem with not _ _ _ _ who are _ _ _ _

The 'order' did not just materialise out of thin air as in the Harry Potter books...

The legislation does not separate the customer from the service. Hence the issue

So you can't answer a simple yes or no question?

or

You don't want to answer it because it will put a nice whole in your argument.

This is about a bakery who refused to serve a customer because they do not want equality for gay people. Because of their belief system- a system which promotes hatred against gay people. Your questions are mere obfuscation.

And that's the whole of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

floggg wrote: »
    Not necessarily no.

Again, you are all arguing about what is or isn't against the law, but few of you actually understand the law.

Why don't you stick to be debating what should be classed as discrimination, not what is.

I know. Theres 45 pages of people talking rubbish and not actually knowing at all what they are talking about.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can you proof the order was placed by a LGBT person?

They never mention an issue with the customer.
    Whats an lgbt person?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I know. Theres 45 pages of people talking rubbish and not actually knowing at all what they are talking about.

Correction that's 58 panes and counting ...

I guess that includes all of us Joey ;)

I will add the following as it may be of some use ....
    We have listed below current legislation relevant to gender/sex discrimination. You should note that equality and anti-discrimination law may be changed or updated. The law is also complex and can require interpretation. Please feel free to contact our discrimination advice team if you need clarification or guidance on what the law means. Email: discriminationadvice@equalityni.org or tel: 028 90 500 600.

NewCorkLad wrote: »

Nah. It was down to this:

"what the Bible teaches"

It teaches irrational hatreds.

• Advertisement

In fairness floggg if you have an issue with what people post report it. Don't sit there and back seat mod telling everyone they are talking rubbish and advising them what they should and should not be discussing ?

Tbf, he's right. It is an ongoing case and we have no idea what way it will be resolved. In essence, most of have been doing nothing more than debating what should be classed as discrimination and how religious freedom and discrimination on sexual orientation can intersect, should one trump they other or are we dealing with direct or indirect discrimination or is it discrimination at all.

Advertisement