Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoT Illiterate Season 4 finale *HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

kryogen wrote: »
    He miraculously survives his injuries unscathed?

"You should know, the process may change him, somewhat."

If the creepy ex-Maester who was un-Maestered for being too creepy warns you about the "unnatural" consequences of what he's about to do, I'd go ahead and assume it will count as "scathed".

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I feel exactly the same. It was an epic season finale for a great season but I feel totally flat, not because we've to wait fcukin ages for 5 but because of all the epic characters, good and bad, who've gone.
    Look at this way. Every time we lose a Ned Stark it merely makes room for the show to gain an Oberyn Martell...

... and then Oberyn gets his head crushed like a beetle. **** you Martin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Do you lads know what book to get to continue on from season 4? Can't wait a year for season 5, and by the way Tyrian is a cold ass mother5ucker
    From page 2.
    Blay wrote: »
    Book reader..just posting here to answer this.

I'll spoiler this incase some people don't want to know.

There are no actual spoilers in here just where the show is in relation to the books...no plot points are revealed;
    It hasn't ended on any one book, it's a bit all over the place. This season pretty much finished with the end of A Storm of Swords but there are some elements from that which may happen next season. You could read A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings and the first half of A Storm of Swords and you'd be ok.
    kryogen wrote: »
    It actually pisses me off, he should die, end of story. His injuries would kill him, the poison would certainly kill him and even if by some miracle he isnt dead he would not be able to walk again.

Disgusted about it, if there is a book reader about can you tell me if this is how it happens in the book? He miraculously survives his injuries unscathed? Pm me if needs be, if it would be against the thread rules, but I don't want to wait the 10 months to find out!

If I am going to be angered by the cheating/lazy writing I may as well get it out of the way over the summer/winter
    You got a PM of what happens in the book; not confirming or denying any of your opinions in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Had to laugh at Jojen, he got super killed. Stabbed like 8 or 9 times, then throat sliced, then fire grenaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Had to laugh at Jojen, he got super killed. Stabbed like 8 or 9 times, then throat sliced, then fire grenaded.

didn't see that coming did he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Don't forget:
    Lancel Lannister (last seen Battle of Blackwater)
    The Blackfish (last seen Red Wedding)
    GreatJohn Umber (last seen... damn so long I can't remember)
    Sir Kevan Lannister (last seen at Harrenhal)

and last, but by no means least

Benjen Stark

And last, and by some means least

Rickon Stark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

10 months before I can catch up on my future missus, Khaleesi :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

10 months before I can catch up on my future missus, Khaleesi :(

If you can show the same patience she has. You'll be fine.

Now to figure out how Littlefinger masterminded all of last nights events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Thought that little fire throwing wench was a boss! Hopefully magic comes to the fore of the series now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really excited for next season.

Bran's no longer just wandering about
    Arya's no longer just wandering about
    Stannis finally did something
    Tyrion's still alive (though Tywin being dead is a kick in the balls)
    Likely some Varys and Tyrion team-up next season
    Dragon on the loose

Some of the stories the last two seasons have kinda dragged on, particularly Stannis and Bran. Glad to see some proper movement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Thanks to the guys who pm'd me, couple of different versions there too so still something to ponder ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

1 man walking into the camp of 100,000, he wasn't a threat, not until he was within distance to kill Mance. It was more of a "that's close enough" tbh.

Ah come on :) He was freely able to walk past hundreds of enemies and nobody seemed to care whatsoever - men whose comrades had just been killed at his command after turning sides away from them. Also he could have had a crossbow under his cloak ready for Mance and was well within range.
    What had Tyrion to lose at that point? He was "free", but the only things that had sustained him his whole life - the Lannister name and the money they had, were now gone. If he was going to be wanted for murder, he might as well commit it now while he has nothing to lose.

Tyrion wasn't someone who would just kill for the sake of it. He killed Shae partly out of self defense but also because seeing her in his father's bed pushed him over the edge. But all of that was unbeknownst to him when he decided to turn back from the stairway.

We wouldn't expect Varys to protect him, putting himself at risk, for no personal gain, so his life still had value (monetarily or politically) from his perspective. He also had his brother to help ensure he was kept in comfort.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It looked to me as though Cersei was losing her marbles. Maybe she is going to rule kings landing through Tommen and be a comletr psycho!
    Wot? You mean unlike her usual sane, level-headed self?! :):p

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

didn't see that coming did he?

I think he did though. The old guy in the tree said he knew about his end before he started the journey. I thought he looked kind of accepting of his death when dying rather than in shock as well because he saw it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Those skeletons at the big tree... not sure what sense they make, a field of evil skelly psychos right on the doorstep of the Mega Tree. Are they guardians? Why couldn't they be called off then? Are they besiegers? Why don't the children guys firebomb them all to hell then?
    Nice to see more REAL magic all the same. The show just gets better with every spell cast.

Was I the only one who thought it a bit OTT?

I mean... how would the skeletons see without eyes, or move without sinews? Think I saw Meera killing one with a good-old-fashioned blow to the head; but why would that kill one when it doesn't even have a brain? How did the skeletons know the party was approaching? Why didn't the Child of the Forest do something about the battle sooner, or just not have a whole load of spectral skeletons in shallow graves outside the front door in general (you're disturbing my corpse garden, yo!). Why, when the strongest magic we've seen has been predominantly illusionary in nature (Melisandre seeing "things" in her flames, or Pyat Pree making copies of himself) we now see someone casually chucking ball lightning.

And then, where's the context? Were the skeletons controlled by the White Walkers, and if so, were they deliberately trying to impede the progress of Bran and co.? If they were, why not just have a couple of thousand wights attack them long before that point?

Maybe I'm just overthinking it... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

The implication that Bran is going to warg and control Drogos was stunning. As was the reveal of the children of the forest (I busted through the illustrated 'lore of westeros' videos on youtube).
    seligehgit wrote: »
    She'd built a strong bond with him and despite having him on her list did'nt have the heart to do it...
    No, I think it was because he said all those horrible things to her about raping Sansa, etc. He was trying to provoke her into killing him, but it backfired. After hearing him spout all that horrible stuff, she probably thought a slow and painful death was the best thing for him.

It's really been a coming of age for the Stark girls. Sansa realising that the truth, the 'good' way of doing things, has only brought her grief. She doesn't trust Little Finger or is under no illusions of how ruthless he is. But she thinks she understands him enough to have some control and is willing to play along in order to keep herself safe.

Arya has been a hostage. She was kidnapped by the Hound. A brutal, cruel killer. He has helped her mainly for money. And now that her aunt is gone and the money is gone, the Hound is aimless. He isn't really protecting Arya.

And Arya is now smart enough to know that some kindness does not make the Hound a good person, nor a person she can trust. And it dose not absolve him from all the terrible pain and suffering he has dished out.

So it would have been a kind mercy to kill him. But he doesn't deserve that. Remember that kind desperate man a few episodes back who offered the Hound honest work? He beat the man, took his money and left him and the child to die.
    MOH wrote: »
    Little bit worried by the fireball throwing ancient children. I don't know why, but just that particular moment it felt like an extra level of weirdness and it was suddenly going to turn into Lost.

I thought she was throwing grenades?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Was I the only one who thought it a bit OTT?

I mean... how would the skeletons see without eyes, or move without sinews? Think I saw Meera killing one with a good-old-fashioned blow to the head; but why would that kill one when it doesn't even have a brain? How did the skeletons know the party was approaching? Why didn't the Child of the Forest do something about the battle sooner, or just not have a whole load of spectral skeletons in shallow graves outside the front door in general (you're disturbing my corpse garden, yo!). Why, when the strongest magic we've seen has been predominantly illusionary in nature (Melisandre seeing "things" in her flames, or Pyat Pree making copies of himself) we now see someone casually chucking ball lightning.

And then, where's the context? Were the skeletons controlled by the White Walkers, and if so, were they deliberately trying to impede the progress of Bran and co.? If they were, why not just have a couple of thousand wights attack them long before that point?

Maybe I'm just overthinking it... :pac:

The answer to all of these things: it looked cool and created action.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

quad_red wrote: »
    I thought she was throwing grenades?

Where would she get grenades from? Guns haven't even been invented :D

Whoever the tree people are, they're deep into magic. In the world of GoT, it makes more sense that she was throwing magic fireballs than throwing grenades.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

A Neurotic wrote: »
    The answer to all of these things: it looked cool and created action.

That's true... but I always thought of GOT as more than just looking cool, having action (and bewbs, of course). I don't think random fantasy action really lends itself to emotional investment (tbh when Jojen was killed I just thought "oh look at that... Jojen's dead.")

Sure, if anything goes, may as well have

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

RichFTW wrote: »
    I think he did though. The old guy in the tree said he knew about his end before he started the journey. I thought he looked kind of accepting of his death when dying rather than in shock as well because he saw it coming.

Yeah the episode where the mutineers had captured bran and co. Jojen seen his death in the fire and said the same to skinny king's landing torchwood guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Degag wrote: »
    I don't think he was planning on going but he heard the bells toll and that seemed to change his mind. Think he reckoned it was going to be too dangerous to stay.

Varys was like:

10457964_741970809187174_8861872637416670695_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Good episode and good way to finish the season but I was a little underwhelmed to be honest, I don't know why maybe it's because everything in the past few episodes has been so good it was hard to keep pace but it just didn't have that bang I was hoping for from a season finale.

The fight with the hound was enjoyable but I find it disapointing that he was killed by Brienne , like others said I kind of wanted a moment of respect between him and Ayra after all the building between them I guess we will never see the Mountain vs The hound now. The mountain should be dead , his injuries were sever just kill him off.

As always we loose some good charactors but that's to be expected, Tywin will be missed in the story he was a good actor and brought a lot to the show.

The battle for the wall was epic but a little unrealistic , I never really felt the 100,000 strong army vibe from the wildlings. If they had them numbers surely the wall would have fallen and then Stannis army just cuts right through them, It all felt a little off to be honest.

I just can't enjoy Brans plot at all , even last night as it was gaining some sort of momentum every time he pops up on screen I groan and want to go pop the kettle on I just don't feel it.

Leaves everything open for the next season though , King's landing is ripe for the taking now only another 10 month's!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,944 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bit of a tame finale. Getting fed up with the Khaleese story. Her just answering queries from the people she freed. The Bran story is also a bit stale now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Penn wrote: »
    Really excited for next season.

Bran's no longer just wandering about
    Arya's no longer just wandering about
    Stannis finally did something
    Tyrion's still alive (though Tywin being dead is a kick in the balls)
    Likely some Varys and Tyrion team-up next season
    Dragon on the loose

Some of the stories the last two seasons have kinda dragged on, particularly Stannis and Bran. Glad to see some proper movement.

Looking forward to more of this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Loved the reaction from Varys :pac:

wLkC0wX.gif
    Adamocovic wrote: »
    Wasn't expecting the Wall to be in it and was very surprised to see Stannis' army come charging in was fully expecting it to be the walkers.

Not sure why you were surprised to see Stannis, they'd made it pretty clear he was headed to the wall in the last season. I'd been itching to see him show up, and I was pretty sure he'd be in at the end of the last episode.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thing is.... this ISNT the season finale... its only a mid-term break. That may explain why people don't feel the same about it. We're only half way through the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Think I saw Meera killing one with a good-old-fashioned blow to the head

You just reminded me..... she was pretty bad-ass in that scene. And Hodor, he's pretty useless at defending himself (and Bran) until he's "taken over" isn't he?
    quad_red wrote: »

Arya has been a hostage. She was kidnapped by the Hound. A brutal, cruel killer. He has helped her mainly for money. And now that her aunt is gone and the money is gone, the Hound is aimless. He isn't really protecting Arya.

And Arya is now smart enough to know that some kindness does not make the Hound a good person, nor a person she can trust. And it dose not absolve him from all the terrible pain and suffering he has dished out.

So it would have been a kind mercy to kill him. But he doesn't deserve that. Remember that kind desperate man a few episodes back who offered the Hound honest work? He beat the man, took his money and left him and the child to die.

He's obviously not without redemption but who is in the show?

Arya hated him becaue he killed the Butchers boy - something that the King ordered him to do. He probably took great pleasure in doing so as he loves killing so much but he shouldn't really be held accountable for it.

We also heard his reasons for stealing from the farmer, it may have been tough but it was probably true. He was a bad ass through and through. Hope I haven't seen the end of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I really thought the Hound was going to produce a Brick Tamland insult to Brienne when he saw her sword.

"Nice sword. Where did you get it? In a toilet store?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Degag wrote: »
    He's obviously not without redemption but who is in the show?

Arya hated him becaue he killed the Butchers boy - something that the King ordered him to do. He probably took great pleasure in doing so as he loves killing so much but he shouldn't really be held accountable for it.

We also heard his reasons for stealing from the farmer, it may have been tough but it was probably true. He was a bad ass through and through. Hope I haven't seen the end of him.

I'm not saying the Hound wasn't an absolutely fantastic character. Or unsympathetic. His story of how his brother scarred him and how his father covered it up was surprisingly touching.

But the Hound's main purpose in the story has been achieved. Arya never wanted to be a lady, sewing and being wooed by a handsome prince the way Sansa wanted.

And now that all of her world and her family have been torn down, Arya needed someone to show her the ropes. How the world really was. And the Hound has done that. Not necessarily with combat training - she got that from Syrio. And Jaqen showed her that getting payback was possible with the right skills. But the Hound gave her a bloody lesson in what him and so many of the people of Westeros were about.

He is not one dimensional evil. But he was brutal, murderous, greedy and treacherous. And Arya has learned how to kill. How to take a life. But she hasn't become the Hound and she still hated what he stood for.

She could have followed Brien and done as the Hound suggested - be dependent on someone else again. Not in control.

But she is now empowered enough to follow up the best offer she has had since her father died. Go to Bravos and become a kick ass assassin.

As for the Hound - he really became an awesome character as a foil to Arya. Not sure how he would have fared without her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

I mean... how would the skeletons see without eyes, or move without sinews? Think I saw Meera killing one with a good-old-fashioned blow to the head; but why would that kill one when it doesn't even have a brain? How did the skeletons know the party was approaching?

If you're able to go along with the notion of skeletons coming to life in the first place, you really shouldn't have a problem with suspension of disbelief for the rest.

Advertisement