Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoT Illiterate Season 4 finale *HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Syferus wrote: »
    If you don't see someone die on-screen there is always a reason. Television 101.

So much happened in this episode. The whole game has been turned on its head.

well in that case, I want Syrio Forel, the first sword of Braavos back. He was Obyren Martell level badass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Once a whore.......

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

I've waited four years for some vengeance and retribution. Utterly satisfying......

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

......Oh yeah, Sinbad skeletons FTW!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It looked to me as though Cersei was losing her marbles. Maybe she is going to rule kings landing through Tommen and be a comletr psycho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Grimebox wrote: »
    Anybody else reminded of this :pac:

Soon as I saw them I though of the the old Harryhausen effects.

What's the timescale between Stannis getting funded by the Iron Bank and turning up beyond the Wall? Still seems a tad weird that he could get a navy/army that size up there that quickly, and without anyone noticing.

Little bit worried by the fireball throwing ancient children. I don't know why, but just that particular moment it felt like an extra level of weirdness and it was suddenly going to turn into Lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Jaime will be pissed at Tyrion

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Degag wrote: »
    Jaime might be able to get money to him perhaps.

Don't think Jaime will be too keen to help Tyrion once he finds out he killed their Father.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

its been mentioned that danni didnt do a lot and it was a bad season for her. i think she wanted to move forward with her plan, but the more places she conquered the more she felt responsible. she couldnt just swan off and take kings landing she has the onerous duty of keeping control of the cities she freed. she really is the one leader with a conscience. she cares about her people and wont abandon to be enslaved again.

she is learning its hard to be a leader, especially if you want to be a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

well in that case, I want Syrio Forel, the first sword of Braavos back. He was Obyren Martell level badass

Arya is heading in that direction. Wouldn't be surprised if Spanish Robert Downey Jr. makes an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

In episode 8 Sansa appears to be joining Littlefiger and young Arran for a strol, could they come accros the hound before he dies who tells them Arya is alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I was fairly underwhelmed by this episode as well.

Stannis appearing as if out of nowhere, to almost zero resistance from the 100,000 wildlings who were supposed to have descended on the wall was pretty anticlimactic in respect to all the stories and tales of who and what the wildlings were. Maybe I missed something that said that the rest of the army were stationed elsewhere?

And I thought the fact that Jon Snow was able to walk within a couple of meters of Mance Rayder before anyone drew on him was a bit stupid.

Tywin being with the woman that his son was in love with was kind of silly as well. He was repulsed by his son since he was born yet there he was sleeping with his "whore"?

Am I the only one who thought Tywin's death wasn't as clear as it should have been - it looked like the second dart went in to his shoulder rather than his heart? :confused: It wasn't until the bells started ringing that I dropped the notion of him popping up in an episode or two being nursed back to health.

Also, did Jaime intentionally send Tyrion through the Hand's chambers?

It was good watching the Lannister "legacy" fall to dust in a few short minutes. King's Landing is wide open for the taking now - I'd expect a lot of political movers from within the city of liars to have their eyes on the Iron Throne now.

Aria and The Hound were given tonnes of screen time showing a bond slowly building between them. I felt Aria walking away was a cheap "Martin moment" where the unexpected seemed to have been favoured over what the story had been developing, just because it was unexpected.

The Hound v Brienne was a bit rushed in to action - I wouldn't have expected Brienne to initate a fight so quickly. Maybe they decided to leave out a lot of dialogue in favour of a longer more gruelling action sequence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Those skeletons at the big tree... not sure what sense they make, a field of evil skelly psychos right on the doorstep of the Mega Tree. Are they guardians? Why couldn't they be called off then? Are they besiegers? Why don't the children guys firebomb them all to hell then?
    Nice to see more REAL magic all the same. The show just gets better with every spell cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

Cianos wrote: »

Maybe Tywin was in on the plan to break Tyrion out? As much as he hates him i don't think he would let him be executed.

BTW, Why is the word "Illiterate" in the thread title?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Were the bells that Varys heard, just before he decided to go with Tyrion, ringing for any particular reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Were the bells that Varys heard, just before he decided to go with Tyrion, ringing for any particular reason?

They found the bodies.

SeanJ09 wrote: »

I presume it was to indicate that Twyin had been shot and/or Tyrion has escaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Cersai will now control Kings Landing through Tommen and Jamie will be the Hand.

Too soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Does this mean Arya will kill the Mountain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Poor dragons :(

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

No. Jaime led Tyrion directly to a set of stairs and said Varys was waiting at the top. You can see Tyrion start up the stairs, then change his mind and wander off in another direction.. presumably to go find his father.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Maybe Tywin was in on the plan to break Tyrion out? As much as he hates him i don't think he would let him be executed.

Nah he was heading to the door to meet varys then he turned it around, I guess because he was the hand for a time he knew of the trap door and went there instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Aria and The Hound were given tonnes of screen time showing a bond slowly building between them. I felt Aria walking away was a cheap "Martin moment" where the unexpected seemed to have been favoured over what the story had been developing, just because it was unexpected.

I liked that Arya left him to die and didn't suddenly have mercy on him or show forgiveness in his last moments. I think that would have really gone against the kind of person Arya is becoming. As the Hound mentioned plenty of times over the season, she's a killer. She's developing into this desensitized, fairly cold-blooded individual. Having her walk away, leaving the Hound to suffer a slow and painful death was pretty fitting with her development as a character, I think. She has hated the Hound for quite some time too and any time it looks like he's about to redeem himself, he always goes and does something that turns her against him again. He said all the most horrible things he could think of to get her to kill him quickly, but I think it all just reminded her of why she hated him in the first place, so she left him and did the exact opposite of what he wanted her to do. She wouldn't even bother putting him out of his misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

mrkite77 wrote: »
    No. Jaime led Tyrion directly to a set of stairs and said Varys was waiting at the top. You can see Tyrion start up the stairs, then change his mind and wander off in another direction.. presumably to go find his father.

Why would he risk doing so? He said himself moments later that his father was always waiting for a chance to kill him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Have to say was kind of rough hearing The Hound begging to be killed - really grew to like his character over the seasons.. He really had a ****ty life - and looks like equally ****ty death. Alone in the hills.

Even when both Clegane brothers are left dying - The Mountain has atleast people willing to try bring him back (Cercessi and the wacko doc)

Haven't thought of this, highly doubt it though - surely Tywin would have mentioned it when he was on the jacks "Shouldn't you have gone to Varys by now?" or something? Interesting concept though..

Think was just a joke by Timmyctc ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

It was merely a joke at us not having read the books.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    It was merely a joke at us not having read the books.

I thought it was the episode title and was trying to think what relevance it had to the episode until i looked it up. Thought it was in relation to Ser Davos or something:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

At first I thought he'd be like a vegetable or unable to function properly in some way, but yer man said he'd still have his strength. Maybe he'll become even more lethal?

It actually pisses me off, he should die, end of story. His injuries would kill him, the poison would certainly kill him and even if by some miracle he isnt dead he would not be able to walk again.

Disgusted about it, if there is a book reader about can you tell me if this is how it happens in the book? He miraculously survives his injuries unscathed? Pm me if needs be, if it would be against the thread rules, but I don't want to wait the 10 months to find out!

If I am going to be angered by the cheating/lazy writing I may as well get it out of the way over the summer/winter

Overall a great episode, some moments that moved me, the 3 year old, the dragons getting locked away, The Hound etc and some that gave me a great sense of joy, Shae getting what she deserved, Jamie saving his brother, some sort of progress in the Branns storyline.

I liked the focus of the episode, on all the children.

Something that bothered me a bit is how Stannis is able to get north of the wall from down south so fast, he went by sea obviously, but surely it would have taken longer to get from the iron bank place, round up an army and set sail and reach the wildling camp.

Its going to be a long wait :(

Edit: Oh yeah, one more thing, Arya leaving the Hound like that, despite how much I wanted her to give him the mercy of a quick death, was perfectly done. Bravo on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not sure where they're going, but I'm pretty sure Varys is going along for the ride, as if it's discovered he had anything to do with Tyrion's escape (and by proxy, Tywin's murder), he would be executed for it.
    DeVore wrote: »
    Varys is definitely going with Tyrion... whats going to happen to Tyrion now that his father is dead and he has no money in a foreign place?

Can't remember was it Jaime or Varys, but they said the ship was leaving for the Free Cities. I've my money on it they're heading for Braavos. It's the richest of the Free Cities, and as we've heard before it's impenetrable - meaning no matter how hard the (remaining) Lannisters try, they will never get Tyrion. Varys probably has some contacts there.
    Really thought too they would have gone into her aunt's place even if they discovered she was dead? I know no one except for a handful of people knew Sansa was there, but still I thought they would go in.

That's why Arya started pissing herself laughing - They'd travelled all that way so the Hound could trade her for coin. She was his meal ticket, and this was the only way he had to cash it in, nobody else would pay for her without either killing her or him (Lannisters).
    No real leader in Kings Landing now. Cersei is probably in charge and all weddings with the Tyrells are off (I assume from the conversation with Tywin). Cant imagine the grandmother being happy with that.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Tywin dead, there's no Hand. Tyrion gone, Varys gone, Littlefinger gone - There's no master of coin now either. We'd already heard about how indebted the throne (essentially the Lannisters) were to the iron bank. The Tyrells are now the only way the Lannisters have of maintaining any power, without them there's no gold to run the kingdom.

I'm curious to see what comes of Casterly Rock now too.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Anybody offer any plausible explanation as to why Mance Ryder and his supposedly 100,000 strong army of wildlings waved the white flag to Stannis's numerically inferior forces?
    Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Wildlings were a bit rubbish weren't they? I fancy the wall would hold no bother to be honest if that's all they've got.
    Mance had no defences at all at his position. I thought he was supposed to be a clever one?

As Mance said, he wanted no more bloodshed of his people (Wildlings). He explained to Jon that they were trying to head south before winter comes around again (and presumably the walkers). They were only attacking Castle black because they needed to herd everyone through the tunnel to go south of the wall. If Stannis captures them all as prisoners and takes them south anyway, why put up a fight?
    And I thought the fact that Jon Snow was able to walk within a couple of meters of Mance Rayder before anyone drew on him was a bit stupid.

1 man walking into the camp of 100,000, he wasn't a threat, not until he was within distance to kill Mance. It was more of a "that's close enough" tbh.

Tyrion was going to knock on the door when he decided otherwise, went off and came up through a secret passageway out of the dungeons. Then went in search of Tywin.
    Why would he risk doing so? He said himself moments later that his father was always waiting for a chance to kill him off.

What had Tyrion to lose at that point? He was "free", but the only things that had sustained him his whole life - the Lannister name and the money they had, were now gone. If he was going to be wanted for murder, he might as well commit it now while he has nothing to lose.

Advertisement