Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Turtwig wrote: »
    More worrying is the treatment of councillors and politicians outside of their work. Apparently, because of the job they're doing that makes them open to abuse in their private lives.

Given that councillors get €40k in wages plus €40k in expenses per annum, plus added expenses for such essentials as attending weekend poetry festivals in Donegal, I have no sympathy for them to be honest. Now I would not abuse someone in public, but given the amount of hardship caused to the vast majority of the people by our politicians (who are either too corrupt or too stupid to run the country in the interests of its people) it is perfectly understandable that one of them gets ****ed out of it good and hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I've always thought that shouting abuse at someone who just walking down the street, is something done by Idiots who have no interest in properly addressing issues that they're annoyed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

I've always thought that shouting abuse at someone who just walking down the street, is something done by Idiots who have no interest in properly addressing issues that they're annoyed by.

Apparently not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

My point, which I'm sure you're aware, is that confronting Waters in public is an entirely natural reaction, and to be expected.

I don't believe it's necessarily all that constructive, and it wouldn't be my approach, but it *is* understandable and, when you're writing the bile Waters is so fond of, entirely foreseeable. Please don't pretend otherwise.

My point, which I'm sure you're aware, is that confronting Waters in public is an entirely natural reaction, and to be expected.

I don't believe it's necessarily all that constructive, and it wouldn't be my approach, but it *is* understandable and, when you're writing the bile Waters is so fond of, entirely foreseeable. Please don't pretend otherwise.

But this seems to be the nub of the debate.

Is it the tone of what Waters writes that is the issue? Or his views?

When Waters dismissed lesbian couples as 'playing house', it was pretty contemptible. I understand the angry reaction.

But there remains a question about how society will view, and legislate for the family structure.

If Waters had posed the question more respectfully, I'm not sure the reaction would have been any less angry. Maybe it should be angry, regardless of tone. It's not for me to judge as I am not directly affected.

But if it is not possible to ask these questions, regardless of how moderate your views are, then I think something is wrong

• Advertisement

MaxWig wrote: »
    Apparently not

Given Jawn's economical use of the truth, and very intimate knowledge of how to lie, I'll believe he was shouted at by someone when I witness it for myself.

But this seems to be the nub of the debate.

Is it the tone of what Waters writes that is the issue? Or his views?

When Waters dismissed lesbian couples as 'playing house', it was pretty contemptible. I understand the angry reaction.

But there remains a question about how society will view, and legislate for the family structure.

If Waters had posed the question more respectfully, I'm not sure the reaction would have been any less angry. Maybe it should be angry, regardless of tone. It's not for me to judge as I am not directly affected.

But if it is not possible to ask these questions, regardless of how moderate your views are, then I think something is wrong

Sorry - what's the nub of the debate?! I'm not being facetious here, but who is suggesting that it shouldn't be possible to " ask these questions"?

All I'm saying, and all a lot of other posters are saying, is that a certain reaction is a natural a foreseeable outcome when you choose to use your valuable, national platforms to spout bile and word vomit.

Sorry - what's the nub of the debate?! I'm not being facetious here, but who is suggesting that it shouldn't be possible to " ask these questions"?

All I'm saying, and all a lot of other posters are saying, is that a certain reaction is a natural a foreseeable outcome when you choose to use your valuable, national platforms to spout bile and word vomit.

But the same standards should be applied to any reaction.

If a swathe of people respond by calling Waters a tirade of names - by insulting him endlessly - then I see no reason why their response should be respected either.

If it is the tone of what Waters says that is a problem, replying in a similar tone is equally contemptible. I don't get the whole 'fight bile with bile' thing.

In such scenarios, it seems to the casual observer to be imbeciles flinging excrement at each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

If a swathe of people respond by calling Waters a tirade of names - by insulting him endlessly - then I see no reason why their response should be respected either.

If it is the tone of what Waters says that is a problem, replying in a similar tone is equally contemptible. I don't get the whole 'fight bile with bile' thing.

In such scenarios, it seems to the casual observer to be imbeciles flinging excrement at each other.

Possibly but I believe the sh*t will stick to Mr Waters for a lot longer than most.

This is going around in circles. I've explained my point fully, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The trouble is I doubt JW has had anywhere near the level of abuse on the streets that he hints at. Once or twice, maybe. But the vast majority of people a) wouldn't recognise him, b) are mature enough not to shout such things, and c) simply don't care.

You'd swear there's been people waiting outside his home day and night to pelt him with rocks the way he goes on. Chances are he's been shouted at across the street a few times by the same sort of people who think putting their religion as Jedi on the census is a legitimate form of social protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Penn wrote: »
    The trouble is I doubt JW has had anywhere near the level of abuse on the streets that he hints at. Once or twice, maybe. But the vast majority of people a) wouldn't recognise him, b) are mature enough not to shout such things, and c) simply don't care.

There was a recent story about how when Jay Z and Beyonce were in Dublin nobody really bothered them, so if celebs like that can go around the city unhindered, then I doubt claims of Jawn's abuse are on the level. Much like another clown who makes claims of "rivers of bile" or some such nonsense in response to any criticism.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Being 'called out' and having abuse shouted at you on the street are two quite different things.

Maybe he should check himself at the pedestrian crossing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

5uspect wrote: »
    Maybe he should check himself at the pedestrian crossing.

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Waters does not seem to recognise the consequences of what he writes. Journalism is one of these undefined professions and it seems anyone with an opinion willing to express it can be one. His comment about depression, his homophobic views and his pro-Iraq war views all show the hateful nature of the way he thinks.

But, the papers and TV are much worse for giving this fascist airtime to express his un-needed views. Some people in the media world seem to think that having him give his views is edgy and exciting. Waters has been a lot of things, but exciting is not one of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Waters does not seem to recognise the consequences of what he writes. Journalism is one of these undefined professions and it seems anyone with an opinion willing to express it can be one. His comment about depression, his homophobic views and his pro-Iraq war views all show the hateful nature of the way he thinks.

But, the papers and TV are much worse for giving this fascist airtime to express his un-needed views. Some people in the media world seem to think that having him give his views is edgy and exciting. Waters has been a lot of things, but exciting is not one of them!

In fairness I'd say he does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/05/27/wheres-your-big-daddy/

Anyone going?

Also, what is the crisis about fathers?

lazygal wrote: »
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/05/27/wheres-your-big-daddy/

Anyone going?

Also, what is the crisis about fathers?

It' says when he starts shiteing on (17.00) but doesn't say when stops....what if he doesn't......what if he doesn't....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

According to Alive, John is right and that if one is suffering from depression, it's cos they're atheist and not going to heaven. Or something like that.

310714.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

According to Alive, John is right and that if one is suffering from depression, it's cos they're atheist and not going to heaven. Or something like that.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/28953/310714.jpg

I don't subscribe to Alive, but am also interested in the article to the left.

Seems a well balanced journal of thoughts and reason.

• Advertisement

Love how medical disciplines the God Squad dislike get described as "industries"

How much is the RCC as an entity worth again?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I am amused that they are whinging that "heretical" (their air quotes) are not being tolerated by the liberal blah blah.

Yup. Many the tufo bbq I have been to with my sandal smoking hemp wearing PC buddies where we burn such heretics to keep the mossies away. So much better for the environment then those nasty chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I am amused that they are whinging that "heretical" (their air quotes) are not being tolerated by the liberal blah blah.

Yup. Many the tufo bbq I have been to with my sandal smoking hemp wearing PC buddies where we burn such heretics to keep the mossies away. So much better for the environment then those nasty chemicals.

Sounds great - May i suggest an A&A forum tofu BBQ? Everyone MUST have smokable sandals and possess the usual air of unsettling depressing that us non-believers are doomed with due to our rejection of "the jesus"....... also BYOB

Sounds great - May i suggest an A&A forum tofu BBQ? Everyone MUST have smokable sandals and possess the usual air of unsettling depressing that us non-believers are doomed with due to our rejection of "the jesus"....... also BYOB

I have a large number of loud Hawai'ian shirts, would one of them do as substitute for the sandals?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I have a large number of loud Hawai'ian shirts, would one of them do as substitute for the sandals?

Are they hideous?

I love hideous Hawai'ian shirts.

....will slayer t-shirts do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

I have but one. However, it is so hideous that I'm not allowed take it out of the wardrobe; never mind wear it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

So long as there's no pineapple on the pizza....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Nodin wrote: »
    ....will slayer t-shirts do?

Makes me sorry I threw out that Cradle of Filth shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And here I am, with only a Kasabian t-shirt to my name. :o

Advertisement