Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm inclined to believe that it's a publicity stunt and the Sindo are giving him a column.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jihad John?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

lazygal wrote: »
    That's who John thinks he is.
    Dogs surround me,
    a pack of villains encircles me;
    they pierce my hands and my feet.
    All my bones are on display;
    people stare and gloat over me.
    They divide my clothes among them
    and cast lots for my garment.

insert pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

goose2005 wrote: »
    Dogs surround me,
    and cast lots for my garment.

insert pic!

You left out:
    They have made me sign for a visitors badge; they know not my countenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Psalm Of John
    goose2005 wrote: »
    Dogs surround me,
    and cast lots for my garment
    but were too ignorant to cast a vote
    for my Great Song Of Hope
    They have made me sign for a visitors badge;
    they know not my countenance

insert pic!

• Advertisement

I feel sorry for the guy tbh. The Indo are milking everything they can out of his little meltdown but the Times are somehow the bad guys?

They just left the rope there. What hes doing with it and that wood is his own business.

Whats interesting is that 'John Waters the columnist' is not an act, in the way that - for example - Bill O'Reilly the Fox TV Host (by all accounts) largely is. This makes more amusing the remarks from the 1st part of the interview, where he was disappointed that no one stood up and said "he's not that guy". Its now entirely evident he is, and has very little self awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Nodin wrote: »
    <snip>

My eyes, my eyes! Why won't they stop bleeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

jjpep wrote: »
    I agree. At this point they're clearly taking advantage of someone who in the least is a bit delusional and at worst is having a mental breakdown.

No. He is getting exactly what he wants. A platform for his nasty views. But yes they are exploiting the whole circumstance by enflaming the public discourse in this country.

My eyes, my eyes! Why won't they stop bleeding?

O they'll stop.

That's when the Brain starts tying itself in knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Jihad John?

I believe that is his final form.

"And of course the liberal fascist intelligentsia trapped in a Christian-rationalist-atheist cave of lies will finally see the truth of Allah and His Prophet."

What's not to like? Lots of rights for fathers, and the ability to see yourself as a persecuted minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Goose that is the funniest thing I've read in a long time, thank you.

And it would actually be a good career move for him :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I'm inclined to believe that it's a publicity stunt and the Sindo are giving him a column.

I hope not... Here's a message that Jawn seriously needs to get

KS1vB4a.gif

Links234 wrote: »
    I hope not... Here's a message that Jawn seriously needs to get

No offence, but a bit too subtle

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

People who think like this make me angry. I remember SoulandForm spewing bullshit about depresion being a "sin". People like this, who are so fucking devoid of empathy deserve to be subjected to the lowest form of depression, just so they can actually develop a sense of empathy.

I've wondered from time to time whether religious fundamentalists are empathetically retarded. Now I think I know. John Waters can go "bugger" himself.

Waters comments on depression made me quite livid as I know full well what depression is like. (Yes, I suffer from clinical depression.)

But I would not wish someone else to suffer from depression, not even someone as obnoxious as Waters has shown himself to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Himself is on Today with Sean O'Rourke today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

No doubt it'll be a bonfire of discussion about 'online trolls' and 'hate campaigns' and himself as a victim. The usual modern refuge for the dim witted celeb.

How do you know that? unless you're part of the feminist detesticlising society, out to get Martyr John.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

He is on Radio 1 now.

No escaping his whinge fest since the 'Liberals' silenced him :rolleyes:

He sounds like a nightmare to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

Sounds like he has been used to having his opinions go unchallenged for a very long time. Columnists can easily feel that their opinion pieces are much more appreciated than they are, it's a sort of ivory tower complex. However recently his bubble has burst as the real world has made an unwanted intrusion into his life - suddenly his ideas are being challenged, and he hasn't the intellectual capacity to defend his (usually incoherent) assertions. No surprise really that he feels like the victim, he isn't smart enough to see that he is simply out of his depth.

A supposedly serious newspaper like the Irish Times should have found a way to get rid of him years ago.

• Advertisement

Panti really is the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks Rory!

“I will never have any regrets about defending my reputation because it’s vitally important that a commentator of any kind preserve their reputation and their credibility in the public sphere,” he continued.
    “It is vitally important that I am seen to intervene. My job was to intervene in the debate and have controversial views and have robust views and if you can be presented as motivated by malice in what you say, you are entirely disabled as a commentator. “

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/john-waters-has-no-regrets-for-taking-legal-action-against-rte-30214757.html

....so he then goes to look for money, which fairly clarified that he is indeed motivated by malice, and brings to attention the quotes which show everything said about him was true. One way of preserving reputation.

"Mr Waters said he left the Irish Times newspaper because he felt he wasn’t receiving support for “the dogs of war unleashed [on him] week after week to attack [him]”, referring to his former colleagues’ columns and readers’ comments.
    “Anytime I asked could the comments underneath my columns online be moderated, they did nothing about them,” he said.
    “It’s about the fact that when I drew [my issues] to the attention of the editor, nothing happened.
    “This is what I resigned for. I was told in relation to [a colleague’s] article, that my options were either to, quote, go the legal route, or write a letter to the editor.”
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/john-waters-has-no-regrets-for-taking-legal-action-against-rte-30214757.html

'Waaaaah, they're sayin things'

Hilarious, considering

"This is about free speech. It is about the rights of people to speak about what is important without being demonised," he said."
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ive-been-put-on-trial-over-my-beliefs-30180643.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Welcome to Waters World logic..

In which describing gay marriage as being "a kind of a satire on marriage" is just good ol' free speech but suggest that maybe he should think about whether he has a problem with gay people and you've just committed a hate crime.

*Other fun Waters world logic include, Up is Down Left is Right and Right is far Right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Nodin wrote: »
    “"This is about free speech. It is about the rights of people to speak about what is important without being demonised,"
    Said the man who demonized gay men.

SebBerkovich - snap!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

What has free speech got to do with being demonised for things that you say?

Free speech is the government not restricting your ability to speak out. Saying "you're wrong" is free speech just as much as the original opinion.

...and it doesn't even exist in Ireland, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 gillmelly

I never liked John Waters, but I'm getting tired of the bullyfest at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

gillmelly wrote: »
    I never liked John Waters, but I'm getting tired of the bullyfest at this stage.
    Care to expand on that? It could be taken as falling on either side of the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 gillmelly

Care to expand on that? It could be taken as falling on either side of the fence.

Never was one for jumping in with any group to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Well, both sides have accused the other of bullying tactics. Do you mean that you agree with both?

• Advertisement

gillmelly wrote: »

Why is it a "bullyfest"? Please explain.

Advertisement