Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If John Waters was from Iraq or Syria, he'd be the political wing of ISIS!!

Western civilisation would tremble in fear. :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

ninja900 wrote: »
    he's got a grand jihad beard on him already sure.
    An all-over body beard to be fair.

Obpicture avoided as some people may be eating lunch shortly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »

You utter utter flashback inducing barstard!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Why did you have to remind me?

crying_in_the_corner.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I have a large number of loud Hawai'ian shirts, would one of them do as substitute for the sandals?

What a co-incidence. I, too, have a large collection of Aloha shirts. I've been collecting them for years. Mind you, in the hot weather, walking down the street I often have white van man questioning my sexual preferences. Or maybe it's just my fashion preferences :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Absuve mod trying to trigger collective PTSD! :mad:

Links234 wrote: »
    Absuve mod trying to trigger collective PTSD! :mad:
    Sheesh, a mod tries to do a favour by not reminding everybody of the luxuriant, Chewbacca-like overexuberant hirsutosity that is the follicular growth which snugly encloses Mr Waters ample and wobbly frame.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sheesh, a mod tries to do a favour by not reminding everybody of the luxuriant, Chewbacca-like overexuberant hirsutosity that is the follicular growth which snugly encloses Mr Waters ample and wobbly frame.

1450.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I love my hawaiin shirts but both my mother and OH have been secretly getting rid of them for years, I still have a few left though. As a youth being one of the few who didn't wear a check shirt and skin tight levis that attempted to castrate their bearers. I unfortunately did not have the panache to carry of grunge or hipster and then one day I passed a local shop that had a bight red shirt with palm trees and a beach/ocean imprinted at the bottom. Walking into the local, it got looks, it got comments but more importantly it exuded confidence, who is this renegade who wears bright colours on a Saturday night in the Midlands, this is a man who wants and needs for nothing but you want him to have all you can give regardless.

I still have that shirt to this day, and it's still a winners shirt, unfortunately, the now slightly more portly frame that fills it does not exude confidence so much as midlife crisis.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I love my hawaiin shirts [...]
    Ain't no call for that. First Hawaiian pizzas with pineapples; and now equally tasteless shirts.

Popette, for anybody keeping score, gave me a christmas pressie of a second-hand shirt some years back. A brown shirt. Despite her living through some of the time concerned, she seems blissfully unaware of the history of brownshirts. It became a window wipe on boxing day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

CramCycle wrote: »
    I love my hawaiin shirts but both my mother and OH have been secretly getting rid of them for years, I still have a few left though. As a youth being one of the few who didn't wear a check shirt and skin tight levis that attempted to castrate their bearers. I unfortunately did not have the panache to carry of grunge or hipster and then one day I passed a local shop that had a bight red shirt with palm trees and a beach/ocean imprinted at the bottom. Walking into the local, it got looks, it got comments but more importantly it exuded confidence, who is this renegade who wears bright colours on a Saturday night in the Midlands, this is a man who wants and needs for nothing but you want him to have all you can give regardless.

I still have that shirt to this day, and it's still a winners shirt, unfortunately, the now slightly more portly frame that fills it does not exude confidence so much as midlife crisis.

Nonsense; there's no age limits on the shirts :D

Wear them loud & proud and sear some people's retinas with dazzling colours!

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    1450.gif

More like this

tumblr_lky77wKqUI1qdhxyeo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Links234 wrote: »
    More like this

tumblr_lky77wKqUI1qdhxyeo1_500.gif

Slightly longer version

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    You utter utter flashback inducing barstard!

pcwhdlU.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

tawnyowl wrote: »

"Since the 'bother' erupted in January - as a result of a stranger in drag presuming factlessly to define me, and prompting a mob of cowards and chancers to jump at the chance of a casual lynching - I often found myself thinking that the Ireland I grew up in and loved so unconditionally had gone for ever. It seemed that we had arrived someplace that was not merely post-irony and post-reason, but which had also left behind the possibility of perspective, balance, fairness, truth or decency. "

"In the depths of February, I went to London and found myself walking around wondering if, what with the way things were going, I could live there now and start over, not caring about the public life of the place I lived in, privatising myself and emulating several of my peers by writing indifferent novels as though Beckett and Kafka had never bothered to burn the building. I decided to come back and give it another lash. \"
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/searching-for-the-soul-of-the-true-ireland-30426465.html

Why? We're not good enough for you, o great one. Londinium is the place for thee!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

He really has a high opinion of himself doesn't he? Hey John, I thought pride was a sin?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nodin wrote: »
    "Since the 'bother' erupted in January - as a result of a stranger in drag presuming factlessly to define me,"

The 'bother' he helped propagate by suing, and the factless defining being based on prior statements of record.

Hmmmm...

Lucky he's not someone who's given a voice by the national media, oh wait :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

A couple of themes he has harped on before,...

- the soul of the "True Ireland", which of course doesn't include those of us who laugh at Garth Brooks or don't have a religious belief

- his victim status, the pathetic whining of someone who is in his own mind some kind of misunderstood prophet. This is the guy who decided to sue.

- a glorification of middle Ireland, a unique place that is impossible to define. This obsession with Irishness is part of his self-obsession, his conviction that we are so "special", is part of his own assurance that he is "special."

- Immigration - something that forces us into a kind of "a cultural Esperanto that leaves us lonelier and colder." Quite disturbing this one, blaming immigrants for a kind of dilution of Irish culture, getting close to a National Front viewpoint here.

- Hatred of the Swedes and Sweden. What have the Swedes ever done to you, John? Got a bad meatball in Ikea one day?

- "I often found myself thinking that the Ireland I grew up in and loved so unconditionally had gone for ever" - Well, if it has, good riddance to it, John. This is a constant theme with Waters, like with a lot of ultra conservatives, this longing for a past idyll, this intense nostalgia, this glorification of the wonderful past. Of course he never mentions the mother and baby homes of this past, the industrial schools, the poverty, ignorance, the tyrannical church.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I wish he'd take his 'lump' and just go away, what an awful self absorbed rant.

I just KNEW the Indo would take him in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

tawnyowl wrote: »

I'd life to point out to JW that such horrible words such as 'makey-uppy' and 'makey-up' are themselves 'made up' words

Funny how he (I'd love to say ironically but he seems to feel that his readers are too thick to understand such irony) also commits the acts that he holds most in disdain.

I really can't understand what the indo group hope to gain by having him onboard.

Lisha wrote: »
    I'd life to point out to JW that such horrible words such as 'makey-uppy' and 'makey-up' are themselves 'made up' words

Funny how he (I'd love to say ironically but he seems to feel that his readers are too thick to understand such irony) also commits the acts that he holds most in disdain.

I really can't understand what the indo group hope to gain by having him onboard.

I'm guessing that they want to seize the market of potential Regress Alliance voters.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Lisha wrote: »

Looks like he's trying to win over what he perceives to be the Indo readership. Some sort of 50s obcessed culchie who longs for the good old days.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Very strange that Waters would suggest that the DCC would have let the 5 nights go ahead if Brooks was gay. It this sort of stupid comment that supports the idea that Waters has issues with homosexuals. In this case, suggesting that homosexuals are exempt from the law :confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

I saw Jawn bumbling around Galway yesterday (either that, or some poor unfortunate soul who looks very, very like him) and was tempted to ask him for a pic :pac: but I thought better of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Ain't no way I'm clicking on that link. Damn you to hell, INM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

SW wrote: »
    Very strange that Waters would suggest that the DCC would have let the 5 nights go ahead if Brooks was gay.

Especially considering tht Brooks is a big supporter of gay rights, given that he had a lesbian sister who was a fairly big part of his band until she died last year.

Does Jawn not realise this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Especially considering tht Brooks is a big supporter of gay rights, given that he had a lesbian sister who was a fairly big part of his band until she died last year.

Does Jawn not realise this?

maybe the DCC can sue him for suggesting they are heterophobic. :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Advertisement