Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Useless information about the game, but it features an all new, and very sophisticated, character animation engine

That's all I've got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

All I need to hear is 'new uncharted game' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭wayne040576

At least they didn't call it Uch4rted. I still have the third game sealed. Never got around to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I enjoyed the 3rd. No where near as good as the 2nd (which was fantastic), but definitely worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Whenever this is released could well be when I get the ps4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

While i don't really like uncharted games, can't deny they looked pretty amazing, especially for the hardware they were on. So excited to see what naughty dog can do with the PS4, would have preferred if they started a new IP this gen tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I love uncharted. I completed all three within about a week and then hit myself repeatedly for ignoring the series for so long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

All 4 you mean :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The series really needs to evolve and shake any complacency the studio might have following the success of the earlier games. As much as I think Uncharted 2 remains a pinnacle of the AAA blockbuster game, an increasing disconnect existed between the wonderful storytelling / atmosphere / presentation and the disappointingly genocidal gameplay. By the third game, the many great moments were distractingly broken up by tedious combat corridors. The fascinating, fully rounded Nathan Drake of the cutscenes felt increasingly disconnected from the avatar I was controlling, bar a few standout moments such as the extremely effective desert sequence. This was also true of the second game, but there maybe I was just more forgiving since that caught me so off guard after the decent but less spectacular first. There was too many good things about Uncharted 3 for it to be a bad game, but certainly it felt oddly underwhelming.

The Last of Us, though imperfect in other ways, illustrated a more mature relationship between narrative and gameplay - even if Naughty Dog surrendered to vaguely fillerish shooting and stealth just as often, at least the characterisation reflected the violence and cynicism of the world. It felt far more cohesive than Drake's Deception. Almost as if Naughty Dog realised the limitations of Uncharted and purposefully adapted the formula to work in a more appropriate setting. Let's hope it wasn't just a fluke.

Naughty Dog has long since managed to show themselves as at the top of their game in many respects. Now, they need to shake up the formula and subvert our expectations. They certainly have the talent to do so. Hopefully Uncharted 4 won't just be more of the same, but prettier, because that would be a terrible waste of great characters and developers. It's very possible to take a franchise in exciting new directions without undermining what made it memorable and special in the first place: Shadow of the Collossus, Persona 4, Half Life 2, MGS3, all those other worthy follow-ups and sequels. We shouldn't demand anything less, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Only played 3 when it came free with plus.

Some bits were great however I did get bored by the end of the shooting the same people over and over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The first one
    The Bunker
    Ah hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I loved the first two but the 3rd I agree with everyone above had memorable moments but was a let down.

The game needs to remove the linear gameplay and stop from becoming a scripted corridor shooter.

Game needs to be more open and do something new to spice up the series than becoming another prettier uncharted game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

It appears Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog and it has been suggested she was forced out by Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Might be for the best for Amy. She'll be snapped up by any developer and she can move away from the Uncharted series which might be refreshing for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

Its a shame for the series she brought a lot to it.

http://youtu.be/y1Rx-Bbht5E

Looks like the game is back on track and Nolan North appears to be back to :)

Very excited for this. Drake looks to have aged a few years so who knows what shape Sully is in! I'll have my PS4 acquired before this comes out anyway :D

who knows what shape Sully is in!

Pretty bad shape come the end of the game I'm willing to wager - the suffix is almost definitely a misdirection

COYVB wrote: »
    Pretty bad shape come the end of the game I'm willing to wager - the suffix is almost definitely a misdirection

Yeah they weren't subtle about it that's for sure :pac: Guess it could be a double bluff but I'd like to see it happen if it's where the story is going. No half measures

• Advertisement

Yeah they weren't subtle about it that's for sure :pac: Guess it could be a double bluff but I'd like to see it happen if it's where the story is going. No half measures

I'd like them to kill off Nate, but it's not going to happen any time soon, unless they leave things where you don't know if he's dead or not. More likely is Sully's death, leaving things open for more potential sequels down the line - but I don't expect to see Naughty Dog continuing to flog the series too regularly. It'll probably be a one every 5 years kinda series from here on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

You can see the influence the TLOU team had on the trailer. Looks much darker than previous titles in my opinion.

I've a feeling someone is going to be killed off

matty55 wrote: »
    I've a feeling someone is going to be killed off

I actually hope so, it's borderline ridiculous that
    none of the main cast have died 3 games in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Killing characters is a fairly standard and predictable dramatic tool, for reasons both positive and negative. These are well defined and likeable characters that interact in consistently engaging ways - there's plenty that can be done with that dynamic without reverting to a major death, although I wouldn't be surprised if this was the game where they dispatched someone (and of course deaths can be handled in a potent way too, with the necessary care). Many even excellent TV dramas particularly rely almost entirely on 'shock' deaths, which can be powerful but at the same time eventually becomes sort of a tired old schtick. But then there's the reason why the tragedy has been such a popular dramatic tool since the dawn of storytelling - life and death stakes, after all.

Uncharted 3 actually worked better because they led everyone to expect the death of Sully, but instead focused on reinforced his and Drake's relationship in a richer way - a decision that will serve them well whatever the direction of a fourth story, tragic or otherwise. But it's almost more interesting to try and draw drama without relying on a major death as a punctuation mark.

One problem with gaming deaths is that it's hard to pull off without contradicting the gameplay - especially in Uncharted where Drake survives deathly situations every few seconds. And Sully, Elena et al have survived their fair share of catastrophic events too!

Killing characters is a fairly standard and predictable dramatic tool, for reasons both positive and negative. These are well defined and likeable characters that interact in consistently engaging ways - there's plenty that can be done with that dynamic without reverting to a major death, although I wouldn't be surprised if this was the game where they dispatched someone (and of course deaths can be handled in a potent way too, with the necessary care). Many even excellent TV dramas particularly rely almost entirely on 'shock' deaths, which can be powerful but at the same time eventually becomes sort of a tired old schtick. But then there's the reason why the tragedy has been such a popular dramatic tool since the dawn of storytelling - life and death stakes, after all.

Uncharted 3 actually worked better because they led everyone to expect the death of Sully, but instead focused on reinforced his and Drake's relationship in a richer way - a decision that will serve them well whatever the direction of a fourth story, tragic or otherwise. But it's almost more interesting to try and draw drama without relying on a major death as a punctuation mark.

One problem with gaming deaths is that it's hard to pull off without contradicting the gameplay - especially in Uncharted where Drake survives deathly situations every few seconds. And Sully, Elena et al have survived their fair share of catastrophic events too!

I agree but still, how many cat lives can you have?? Something has to give in the series eventually just hopefully it's done tastefully and to the benefit of the actual gameplay.

In fairness
    Sullys 'Death' in 3 was a bit of an :rolleyes: and really cheesy when he came back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You can see the influence the TLOU team had on the trailer. Looks much darker than previous titles in my opinion.

Remember it is Stanley and Druckmann (TLOU directors) who are in charge of this game, whereas it was Amy Hennig who was in charge of Uncharted 1 - 3, though Stanley and Druckmann did a lot on Uncharted 2.

Remember it is Stanley and Druckmann (TLOU directors) who are in charge of this game, whereas it was Amy Hennig who was in charge of Uncharted 1 - 3, though Stanley and Druckmann did a lot on Uncharted 2.

Uncharted 2 in my opinion is the current pinacle of the series.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Uncharted 2 in my opinion is the current pinacle of the series.

Uncharted 2 was a masterpiece. ND's best game by a mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

COYVB wrote: »
    Uncharted 2 was a masterpiece. ND's best game by a mile

I still think TLOU has it beat, but Uncharted 2 was fantastic as well.
    I've yet to even play the third one, never got around to it. Have it on PS+ but a 50GB download is daunting.

Advertisement