Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

C'mon folks, it's a short clip. By the time this comes out we'll all be basking in all of its wonderful glory. (I hope)

Don't be getting too tight over a clip this far away from release! Calling it a snoozefest will more than likely turn out to be a huge overstatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Typical Live demonstration , Slow camera movement to leave awe and suspense , slow steps , stop and look at surroundings to entice people , bit of combat in the middle.

Love the uncharted series but I dunno I kind of expected it to change up the forumla abit more than be the same 4 games I played already

None of the Uncharted games ever really overhauled the basic game mechanics though. It was always very driven by stories and set pieces with, at times, subtle game mechanic changes/introductions. If anything this one looks like it has deviated from the course the most, from what we've seen. The combat and movement flows more freely and it looks to be a more 'mini sandbox' approach to the combat segments as opposed to a corridor of chest high walls. (Like TLoU)

However we haven't seen much and therefore have little to go off.

They look to be using a similar stealth mechanic to TLoU as shown in the trailer there too. One of my major gripes with the previous games was the AI constantly knowing where you had gone etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

RasTa wrote: »
    Looked to be 30fps, hopefully they can hit 60.

I think that its only on 30fps on Youtube. I read theres a 60fps version on the go. I did read that on reddit so It could be false mind you. At work atm so cant check.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I think that its only on 30fps on Youtube. I read theres a 60fps version on the go. I did read that on reddit so It could be false mind you. At work atm so cant check.

Yeah on PC you can watch 60fps videos if the uploaders uses it. Hopefully mobile and console apps get it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Gameplay Demo - Check
    "Not the 2nd coming of Christ" comments - Check

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

The fact that what I just watched is described by some as "meh" really shows how far gaming has come. Can you imagine seeing something like that 10 years ago? It wouldn't have seemed possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

Didn't naughty dog loose/lay off some of the staff that were key to uncharted up to now. I remember the woman who was the main writer left early this year and the guys behind the last of us took over. This would have slowed production considerably. Personally I don't think it's a bad showing of the game but it lacked a bit of polish. I think many of us on here myself included don't understand how hard it is to get a demo running that well about a year out but I trust this studio to get it all together for release. In fact they said that the last of us didn't really come together until a few weeks before it went gold. In ND I trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Fakman87 wrote: »
    The fact that what I just watched is described by some as "meh" really shows how far gaming has come. Can you imagine seeing something like that 10 years ago? It wouldn't have seemed possible.

But you can apply that logic to most of the 21st century. 10 years ago XYZ seemed impossible.

The game looks ok, nothing great, nothing new or innovative.
    I still haven't finished 3 yet....I completed 1 and 2...then was just kind of bored during 3...as it was just the same as the previous 2 games

Reminds me of old John Mclane quote "How can the same **** happen to the same guy twice (3,4 + times in this case) "

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

cloud493 wrote: »

This looks great. I'm not sure why people are so 'meh' about it. Graphics are slick, the textures and effects are definitely a step up from the remastered Last of Us, not sure how people think that's not the case, but anyway they were never mind blowing in the series, it's just about doing the basics well here. The foliage, the dry to wet textures, the movement. It's all the little touches that make it, the little scramble animations and the player movement never looks repetitive. It looks like they've improved on a combat format that was already great - no need to revamp it.

I don't know why, maybe it's because I always have low expectations on these series - I always viewed it at some generic console game before it's release - and then I played the first demo... And, yes, it actually is a fairly generic concept. But it does the basics well, and brings you back to an older age of gaming with a contemporary look and feel. Jumping, climbing, shooting, fighting. All in an Indiana Jones-esque setting. I'm very excited about this release, and that's coming from someone who used to scoff at console games. I think somewhere along the line we got too snobby when it comes to games, and forgot what they're actually meant to be - games. i.e; fun.

This looks fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah. I'm not even an fan of the series, but graphically I'd have no complaints about whats been shown so far. Maybe its just the terrain that people are complaining ? I'm sure there will be plenty of jaw dropping moments.

Roll on TLOU 2 though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

SeantheMan wrote: »
    But you can apply that logic to most of the 21st century. 10 years ago XYZ seemed impossible.

The game looks ok, nothing great, nothing new or innovative.
    I still haven't finished 3 yet....I completed 1 and 2...then was just kind of bored during 3...as it was just the same as the previous 2 games

Reminds me of old John Mclane quote "How can the same **** happen to the same guy twice (3,4 + times in this case) "

I can see your point and I agree to an extent but I think that the growth in gaming has been greater than most other technologies. If you think of something like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, that was over 10 years ago but still holds up well and is quite impressive in parts today.

On a different note, I started replaying Uncharted 1 yesterday and dear god the shooting is terrible in that game. Like really really terrible. I turned the game settings to easy just to get through those god awful shooting galleries. It made me think I've been spoiled by the 7th generation of gaming, they really stepped it up a notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End coming Spring 2016
    Since we showed you our first gameplay reveal of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, more of the game and story have come together, and it’s become clear to us that this game is much more ambitious than we originally envisioned.

After spending so many years with Nathan Drake, he means a lot to the team, and telling the climactic chapter of his adventures is a task we don’t take lightly – this game deserves every bit of the attention to detail, precise pacing, and nuanced storytelling Naughty Dog is known for.

So we’ve made the difficult choice of pushing the game’s release date. Giving us a few extra months will make certain that Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End not only meets the team’s high standards but the high standards that gamers have come to expect from a Naughty Dog title.

Thank you for your patience – we know the extra wait will be excruciating, but you’ll see it will be worth it as we reveal more about Uncharted 4 over the next year. The team at Naughty Dog will be heads down working through 2015 making sure that Nathan Drake’s story gets the closure it deserves. Come Spring 2016, you and Nate are in for one thrilling, emotional ride.

Disappointing but not entirely unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Otacon wrote: »

Every game gets delayed these days, I say they wait out for more pre-orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Dissapointed as I am, I'd rather they delayed it than rushed it out and we ended up with another Masterchief collection.

831fed82a85437a7c7c47a373d3141b042593d8db8d7fd174207724f486426bf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

gazzamc wrote: »
    Every game gets delayed these days, I say they wait out for more pre-orders.

I'd say it's less to do with pre-orders (it's going to be a massive seller no matter what) and more to do with avoiding the likes of this:

glitch1.jpg?w=580&h=326

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I wonder will they use an Uncharted Collection as the hold-over for the 'holiday season'?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wonder will they use an Uncharted Collection as the hold-over for the 'holiday season'?

I'd say that's a definite. We can pretty much expect any series from the previous genre to get a re-release.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Agh. Something about playing Unchartered for Christmas is one of life's little joys....

Better for it to be ready then rushed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I'd say it's less to do with pre-orders (it's going to be a massive seller no matter what) and more to do with avoiding the likes of this:

glitch1.jpg?w=580&h=326

It's naughty dog not ubisoft so that would never happen, they're only developing for one system..

They can take as long as they want but if it's anything like UC3 then it will be **** regardless, I want it to be more like UC2.. That game is the best in the series and I just don't see them topping it... I'll never forget the derailed train level.

• Advertisement

People who rip on 3 are just suffering for Trilogy hate, where the believe the 2nd of anything is the best and the 3rd is never better or equal.
    I think there's an awful lot of "Group-think" happening with people who don't like the 3rd instalment of a franchise.
    It's not just a UC thing, it's the same with movies and games like ME etc.

I think 2 and 3 are equal, neither is better than the other IMHO.
    3 was a pretty great game.

The Desert scene was really well realised.
    Having played the series in reverse order

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Cormac... wrote: »
    People who rip on 3 are just suffering for Trilogy hate, where the believe the 2nd of anything is the best and the 3rd is never better or equal.
    I think there's an awful lot of "Group-think" happening with people who don't like the 3rd instalment of a franchise.
    It's not just a UC thing, it's the same with movies and games like ME etc.

I disagree with the assertion that dislike of the third entry is due to series fatigue. I still really enjoyed UC3 but I can't see how it could be deemed comparable to the second entry. We actually had a fairly decent conversation about it back in the game thread at the time. These were my thoughts post-completion and there are some good posts by others following that which go into further detail if you're interested.

In the context of the above, I'm most definitely glad they've pushed back the release date to give themselves more dev time. :)

Cormac... wrote: »
    It's not just a UC thing, it's the sale with movies and games like ME etc.

UC3 had little or no surprises relating to innovation or in its gameplay. Full of repeat gimics that were fun in UC2 but when repeated again in three it brought no surprises.
    Enjoyable yes...better than UC2...god no

I'm glad, the demo that was shown a few months back showed little or no evolution in its gameplay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

gizmo wrote: »
    I disagree with the assertion that dislike of the third entry is due to series fatigue. I still really enjoyed UC3 but I can't see how it could be deemed comparable to the second entry. We actually had a fairly decent conversation about it back in the game thread at the time. These were my thoughts post-completion and there are some good posts by others following that which go into further detail if you're interested.

In the context of the above, I'm most definitely glad they've pushed back the release date to give themselves more dev time. :)

I completed the series backwards starting with Uncharted 3 and I thought it was fantastic. I never felt it was below par compared to 2 and it was really only the first one that I didn't think was as great as the others but that was more through it starting to show its age and with controls not as good as the other two. Maybe because I took an extended break from gaming and missed the hype machine that I guess must have been in overdrive prior to the release of 3 that I never felt any disappointment when playing the game. Never once when playing Uncharted 2 did I think 'Wow, this is so much better than Uncharted 3! What was I thinking playing that first!??!?!' and I can't say I noticed any pacing issues with 3 in comparison to 2. I'm guessing the problem for a lot of people is that it wasn't the jump forward in gaming experience that Uncharted 2 was from the original game.

I'm guessing the problem for a lot of people is that it wasn't the jump forward in gaming experience that Uncharted 2 was from the original game.

That's kind of what I was getting at. It was a "more of the same" affair, and I was ok with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I've only played the 3rd one, should I play all three before this I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Uncharted Trilogy Remastered has to be coming for Christmas now.

It has to be, Sony.

Sony.

Sony, pls.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

etxp wrote: »
    I've only played the 3rd one, should I play all three before this I wonder?

You should play them all, but definitely the 2nd, as it's the best of the series and an absolutely fantastic game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

I hope a collection is in the works and Golden Abyss is included. It's probably my favorite because it
    doesn't bring in the last act, silly faux monsters

Advertisement