Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone else think Froch is being a very arrogant and ungracious winner?

Groves' antics made this fight into the event it was and gave Froch his biggest ever payday. I mean even in this interview he disrespects Groves.

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/9337554/boxing-carl-froch-wants-julio-cesar-chavez-jr-ahead-of-james-degale-bout

Not seeing what you are in that interview. It's tame.

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Froch is a horrible winner. Nothing worse to see a person spit all over a guy after beating him. .

I assume the use of the word spit is not to be taken literally? Anyway, what was so bad from Froch after the win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Froch is a genuinely arrogant individual, it always comes out after fights.

He tries to portray himself as this calm, even minded mister cool who is unbiased and respectful but the mask always slips and he just becomes this self indulgent person who fawns over himself after fights.

Chavez Jr is probably the best option, It'll be in Vegas and its a fight he can win.

Bika would make for an ugly encounter and DeGale would be extremely hard to get up for IMO and justifiably so tbh, no point mentioning Ward, not marketable and he beats Froch 7 days out of the week anyway and Froch knows this.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

He tries to portray himself as this calm, even minded mister cool who is unbiased and respectful but the mask always slips and he just becomes this self indulgent person who fawns over himself after fights.

Chavez Jr is probably the best option, It'll be in Vegas and its a fight he can win.

Bika would make for an ugly encounter and DeGale would be extremely hard to get up for IMO and justifiably so tbh, no point mentioning Ward, not marketable and he beats Froch 7 days out of the week anyway and Froch knows this.

Ya he just dosen't seem that likeable of a person. i was hoping groves would have taken him out last fight but not to be. he is one tough nut though i'll give him that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

This is pretty much on the money, when the mask slips with Froch (and it always does with Froch) he shows himself to be a bit of an egotist.

I had to laugh when watching his Sky Sports special called "a special day", it involved sick children meeting their heroes, there was one on Wayne Rooney aswell.

The young kid met Froch after his first Groves fight and looking straight down the camera Froch told everyone how humbled he was and was keen to stress that even though he was a 3 time world champ he was still humbled by it.

I'll probably sound insulting now but there are not many very likeable fighters to the core in boxing, but its probably the way they are conditioned. In a sport where self promotion is so important in their development.

Froch is bitter about having to do it the hard way i'd imagine, having seen other fighters receive alot of fanfare, wealth and hype in their early career (Amir Khan being a subject of his criticism before).

Froch has developed this new warrior persona from Sky and has been coached in the ways of seeming affable and as a man of the people but it is just that, its a mask. He is not the most likeable of blokes and seems quite insecure about his spot but in fairness he is pretty old school in that he has taken on all comers and beaten most of them.

Most fighters would have a loss or 2 if they were to fight all of their competition but 90% of elite fighters don't do this, so Froch deserves kudos aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Froch is a horrible winner. Nothing worse to see a person spit all over a guy after beating him. He's nowhere near the top super middleweights, Eubank, Benn, Calzage, Collins would have smashed him, nevermind Jones, Toney, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Duran etc.

He's blown up out of all proportion, his movement is ponderous, reflexes slow. His asset is that he has a good chin and is a tough nut but skill wise he's not up to much and certainly not world class. It says it all that he's practically an unknown in the states and hasn't fought in Vegas.

Tripe, pure Tripe.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Tripe, pure Tripe.

I tend to agree. I would have Calzaghe beating Froch most times. Too fast and busy. Froch does well against the others.

Quote from Sky
    "I'll repeat that. George Groves beat James DeGale and I've just absolutely annihilated George Groves so that's not a big fight."

Some of the comments about Froch are ridiculous. The man has had an excellent career avenging all but one loss. As for coming across a bad winner, I wasn't reading those comments before the Groves fight. I like George but he set himself up for an almighty fall from grace.

walshb wrote: »
    I tend to agree. I would have Calzaghe beating Froch most times. Too fast and busy. Froch does well against the others.

I too would favour some of those guys but not one of them smashes him. In fact, I don't see any of those guys stopping Froch.

I guess everything appeared a little bigger and tougher on ITV and from 3.5 foot.

I too would favour some of those guys but not one of them smashes him. In fact, I don't see any of those guys stopping Froch.

I guess everything appeared a little bigger and tougher on ITV and from 3.5 foot.

Toney eats him alive!;)

But yes, no way he gets smashed vs. Collins or Eubank, and failing a one hit wonder from Benn I think Froch does well.

• Advertisement

Toney eats him alive!;)

But yes, no way he gets smashed vs. Collins or Eubank, and failing a one hit wonder from Benn I think Froch does well.

I didn't highlight Toney! :pac::pac:.

I didn't highlight Toney! :pac::pac:.

I knew that. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Calzaghe would probably outbox him, but it's almost laughable comparing their résumés. Froch will literally take on anyone, never really liked him before, thought he was a bit desperate, annoying in his chasing of Joe (similar in fact to the way Groves acted) but he's boxed the best... and losing to Andre Ward who's the complete boxer is no shame.

Calzaghe would probably outbox him, but it's almost laughable comparing their résumés. Froch will literally take on anyone, never really liked him before, thought he was a bit desperate, annoying in his chasing of Joe (similar in fact to the way Groves acted) but he's boxed the best... and losing to Andre Ward who's the complete boxer is no shame.

How is it laughable comparing their resumes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

Froch is a horrible winner. Nothing worse to see a person spit all over a guy after beating him. He's nowhere near the top super middleweights, Eubank, Benn, Calzage, Collins would have smashed him, nevermind Jones, Toney, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Duran etc.

He's blown up out of all proportion, his movement is ponderous, reflexes slow. His asset is that he has a good chin and is a tough nut but skill wise he's not up to much and certainly not world class. It says it all that he's practically an unknown in the states and hasn't fought in Vegas.

There have been quite a few uninformed posts on this thread but yours takes the biscuit.

The matchups can be put down to difference of opinion but when you state that a boxer who has won three different WORLD title belts and has a resume of opponents that almost no boxer in the entire sport can match, is "certainly not world class" you're asking to be ridiculed. Using your 'logic', I actually can't think of any boxer that actually is 'world class'.

If Froch was really "practically unknown in the United States", how come HBO televised the Groves fight LIVE in the US?

Despite being an American Andre Ward hasn't fought in Vegas either, so using your 'logic' he's obviously no good either.

By "smashed him" I'm presuming you mean hammering the crap out of him ie. stopping or KOing him. This desite the fact that his chin is widely regarded as one of the very best in the whole of boxing - you even admit it yourself! So, judging by his record and general opinion, nobody, not even all those greats you mention, would "smash him" - he's just too tough.

I too would fancy Calzaghe to clearly outpoint him, but he'd have to fight hard the whole way. Collins and himself would be a complete war. Too hard men taking lumps out of each other. Could go either way. I'd fancy Froch to beat Benn, who never took his power up to super-middle and wasn't exaclty iron-chinned himself. Eubank was just as hard, but more skilful, however he only worked in spurts, taking large chunks of time off in each round. Constant workrate was how Collins beat him and there is a chance Froch could do the same, though I'd fancy Eubank to squeak by him.

I'd fancy Jones, Toney and Hearns to beat him, but Hearn's chin, if hit like the Groves shot the other night, would crumble even quicker. Leonard was never really a super-middle. He weighed in with weights in his pockets against Donny Lalonde, who gave him quite a lot of problems before succumbing. Froch is a hell of a lot better than Lalonde. Hagler never fought at super-middle and Duran only fought there when he was in his 40's, so I don't know how they even enter the conversation.

It's ok to not like a boxer's personality, but you'd be better off not writing anything about their quality or achievments when you very obviously let your emotions cloud your judgment.

I think Froch would be a bit big for Collins. Bit too strong as well. Froch is a big SMW. Benn and Collins and Eubank were middles who moved up.

Just reading over the list. Duran? WTF?

This is boxing.

Collins did it to Joe, Joe to Froch, Froch to Degale. In the cold light of day you cannot blame an ageing champion for wanting to cash out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Tripe, pure Tripe.

Pointless post,at least attempt a debate instead of acting like a child.

megadodge wrote: »
    There have been quite a few uninformed posts on this thread but yours takes the biscuit.

The matchups can be put down to difference of opinion but when you state that a boxer who has won three different WORLD title belts and has a resume of opponents that almost no boxer in the entire sport can match, is "certainly not world class" you're asking to be ridiculed. Using your 'logic', I actually can't think of any boxer that actually is 'world class'.

If Froch was really "practically unknown in the United States", how come HBO televised the Groves fight LIVE in the US?

Despite being an American Andre Ward hasn't fought in Vegas either, so using your 'logic' he's obviously no good either.

By "smashed him" I'm presuming you mean hammering the crap out of him ie. stopping or KOing him. This desite the fact that his chin is widely regarded as one of the very best in the whole of boxing - you even admit it yourself! So, judging by his record and general opinion, nobody, not even all those greats you mention, would "smash him" - he's just too tough.

I too would fancy Calzaghe to clearly outpoint him, but he'd have to fight hard the whole way. Collins and himself would be a complete war. Too hard men taking lumps out of each other. Could go either way. I'd fancy Froch to beat Benn, who never took his power up to super-middle and wasn't exaclty iron-chinned himself. Eubank was just as hard, but more skilful, however he only worked in spurts, taking large chunks of time off in each round. Constant workrate was how Collins beat him and there is a chance Froch could do the same, though I'd fancy Eubank to squeak by him.

I'd fancy Jones, Toney and Hearns to beat him, but Hearn's chin, if hit like the Groves shot the other night, would crumble even quicker. Leonard was never really a super-middle. He weighed in with weights in his pockets against Donny Lalonde, who gave him quite a lot of problems before succumbing. Froch is a hell of a lot better than Lalonde. Hagler never fought at super-middle and Duran only fought there when he was in his 40's, so I don't know how they even enter the conversation.

It's ok to not like a boxer's personality, but you'd be better off not writing anything about their quality or achievments when you very obviously let your emotions cloud your judgment.
    Who many world championship belts are they now? Even our own Bernard Dunne won a world title. Froch has never in his lifetime been the best in this division, not even close.

I think you're buying into the Sky hype a lot. Fair enough I might be overboard with Eubank, Benn & Collins but I still feel they would have taking him. They had some savage wars between them, I include McClennan, Watson etc. In their Peak they all take Froch who I believe is overhyped. The standard in this super middleweight division is non existent at the moment.

Froch wouldn't have layed a glove on Hearns.

Pointless post,at least attempt a debate instead of acting like a child.

There is nothing to debate.

• Advertisement

Who many world championship belts are they now? Even our own Bernard Dunne won a world title. Froch has never in his lifetime been the best in this division, not even close.

I think you're buying into the Sky hype a lot. Fair enough I might be overboard with Eubank, Benn & Collins but I still feel they would have taking him. They had some savage wars between them, I include McClennan, Watson etc. In their Peak they all take Froch who I believe is overhyped. The standard in this super middleweight division is non existent at the moment.

Froch wouldn't have layed a glove on Hearns.

O.M.G - I'm scarlet for ya.

How is it laughable comparing their resumes?

Joe hadn't faced half as many tough opponents as Froch has. The two biggest names were well into their 40's by the time he faced them, and well beyond their prime.

Rubbish, A typical Sky Sports lovechild.

This is boxing.

Collins did it to Joe, Joe to Froch, Froch to Degale. In the cold light of day you cannot blame an ageing champion for wanting to cash out.

I'm well aware of them, you see it every time, but Froch's pursuit I found a bit desperate that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Anonamoose

Joe all the way

Rubbish, A typical Sky Sports lovechild.

Froch is pretty tough, he might get outboxed by some of those guys but he's got a good chin, don't see him getting KO'ed all that easily.

O.M.G - I'm scarlet for ya.

I think I'm okay, I'd be a tad more embarrassed about someone using acronyms like O.M.G.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Crotch is on SKY now RINGSIDE..I mean Froch

• Advertisement

Froch is pretty tough, he might get outboxed by some of those guys but he's got a good chin, don't see him getting KO'ed all that easily.
    Roy Jones would have smashed him. Calzaghe would have KO'ed him aswell-big gulf between Joe and Froch. No way Groves would have got so close to Calzaghe, Groves got very close to KO Froch in the first fight and he's not known to be a powerful puncher.

Advertisement