Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

10339603_10152454728234138_4178049824191233241_n.jpg

Fairplay Groves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Like I said I didn't see the first so it was 4-3 to either fighter heading into the 8th round, it was not Froch 3 rounds up in anyone's eyes imo

When I tuned into the fight, Grooves went 3-0 until the 5th round then I had Froch winning the next rounds until the KO in the 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Same as last time, GG all steam in the first few, but experience counts. Your mouth doesn't win fights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

user2011 wrote: »
    Like I said I didn't see the first so it was 4-3 to either fighter heading into the 8th round, it was not Froch 3 rounds up in anyone's eyes imo

When I tuned into the fight, Grooves went 3-0 until the 5th round then I had Froch winning the next rounds until the KO in the 8th.

I already gave my round by round, but yeah 4-3 Froch going into the 8th is how I had it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

kryogen wrote: »
    I already gave my round by round, but yeah 4-3 Froch going into the 8th is how I had it too

I took your post (probably wrong) that you were disagreeing with mine, we move swiftly on ;)

Imo the right man won what ever about the first fight it has been put to bed tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Had it 1-2 up for groves. Did not get fooled by jim watt and the pro froch commentary. Well done froch u won fair amd square. I hate judging . But he has been so lucky. Calzaghe would of beat him every round. A fit robin reid would of beat him. Richie woodall . Close fight. Benn and eubank would of beat him. And imo collins he would of beaten. He is imo the most overrated fighter ever.

Anyone who knows anything about boxing. Please dont judge froch as been a world beater by tonight. Sky so robbed the people its unreal. James degale. Best 12st. Fighter on show tonight by mile. And i dont really like him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Groves was slightly ahead on the cards going into the eighth, without sounding like a dick, anyone who says Froch was "dominating" the fight hasn't a bloody clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

FTA69 wrote: »
    Groves was slightly ahead on the cards going into the eighth, without sounding like a dick, anyone who says Froch was "dominating" the fight hasn't a bloody clue.

I wouldn't say dominanting completely but to me up until round 7 and 8 i thought he was controlling the fight,and really i think its hard for anyone to say groves ever looked like winning this fight from round 1,possibly like i say he he planted some seeds of doubt around 7 and 8 rounds but still i always felt froch was winning and going to win .
    There is no doubting groves is a silkier boxer and froch's style isn't very appealing but groves didn't do near the damage or put in the workload he did in the first fight.

amkin25 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say dominanting completely but to me up until round 7 and 8 i thought he was controlling the fight,and really i think its hard for anyone to say groves ever looked like winning this fight from round 1,possibly like i say he he planted some seeds of doubt around 7 and 8 rounds but still i always felt froch was winning and going to win .
    There is no doubting groves is a silkier boxer and froch's style isn't very appealing but groves didn't do near the damage or put in the workload he did in the first fight.

In fairness u are right. U always thought froch would win

• Advertisement

In fairness u are right. U always thought froch would win

Exactly that's what count's sean,and we both know im usually on the money.

Froch has to fight ward again

Personally i wouldn't be mad to see froch fight again,he should retire after this fight,his style isn't worth paying to watch and can't see him beating ward,but money talks and sky could sell a big pay per view versus ward so probably will happen.

Exactly that's what count's sean,and we both know im usually on the money.

U think your on the money. I think u guessed right. 😃 froch has to want to fight ward again. And lose

Personally i wouldn't be mad to see froch fight again,he should retire after this fight,his style isn't worth paying to watch and can't see him beating ward,but money talks and sky could sell a big pay per view versus ward so probably will happen.

Sky wont sell. There fighter losing. De gale is the next fight he has to take.and he will lose it

U think your on the money. I think u guessed right. 😃 froch has to want to fight ward again. And lose

I backed up my guess with a bet,there isn't much sure things in life but froch winning this fight was one of the surest bets i have seen in a long time.

I backed up my guess with a bet,there isn't much sure things in life but froch winning this fight was one of the surest bets i have seen in a long time.

Only after u won. I bet u wish u bet more. Nothing is sure in boxing trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Officer999

Officer999 wrote: »
    How can people honestly think Groves is going to win this??

Groves is a brilliant fighter, no doubts about that. And he was excellent in the first fight. But he threw everything he had at Froch, and still he couldn't beat Froch. Yes he was winning on the scorecard when it was stopped, but he was tiring big time, Froch was getting the upper hand. Everyone could see Froch becoming better as the fight was going on.

I've never seen Froch fight as bad as that night.....yet he still won. He will improve so much on that performance.
    Groves was excellent on that night....still lost.

I don't think Groves can improve on that performance....i really don't. Froch took his eye off the ball that night going into the fight, completely underestimated Groves. He won't make that mistake again. Froch to win with a stoppage after 9/10 rounds

Off by a round but proved right. Welcome to a real fight George...

Officer999 wrote: »
    Off by a round but proved right. Welcome to a real fight George...
    . Amazing

Only after u won. I bet u wish u bet more. Nothing is sure in boxing trust me

One of the surest bets i said,obviously in betting nothing is 100% sure or then it wouldn't be betting,but this was a solid bet,it was only when i was on a similiar thread a few days back,and seen people talking about betting on groves that i realized froch wasn't as short as i thought he would be.
    I thought he would be something like 1-5 for the win to be honest,not 4-6 and 5-4 by knockout great value considering the way the first fight panned out for people that payed attention,obviously officer999 did as he was spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

One of the surest bets i said,obviously in betting nothing is 100% sure or then it wouldn't be betting,but this was a solid bet,it was only when i was on a similiar thread a few days back,and seen people talking about betting on groves that i realized froch wasn't as short as i thought he would be.
    I thought he would be something like 1-5 for the win to be honest,not 4-6 and 5-4 by knockout great value considering the way the first fight panned out for people that payed attention,obviously officer999 did as he was spot on.

Most on here though Froch would stop him.... myself included. I just thought it would take a round or two more than it did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 St890

The stats back up what I saw, Groves landed more punches and had a higher connect ratio.

People give Froch far too much credit for swinging multiple punches that hit groves arms.

http ://m.espn.go.com/extra/boxing/story?storyId=11013495&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FoPQuWglu7I%22%7D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

FTA69 wrote: »

Don't buy into that at all. At no stage during the fight did I get the sense that Groves was going to win the fight. Always felt Froch was comfortable.

I called Froch pre fight so maybe confirmation bias but to say people who thought Froch was ahead and dominating are clueless is arrogant nonsense. It's sport peoples opinions differ.

Chavez? GGG at super?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 St890

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Chavez? GGG at super?

Golovkin would punish Froch badly. You can't make the mistakes he does against a guy like Golovkin.

St890 wrote: »
    Golovkin would punish Froch badly. You can't make the mistakes he does against a guy like Golovkin.

Agree and maybe it's a dumb fight for Froch to take as GGG has everything to gain but it's still a fight I'd pay to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He won't want any of Ward again, fight won't sell and he would lose, he doesn't have to fight DeGale next even though he is the mandatory, I can see a fight with Chavez for the money and the confidence he will have in beating him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

On paper Golovkin should have Froch out of there in 6 rounds... GGG has more power and talent than Groves ever will and has a considerably better defence and chin to boot as well. he won't make the mistakes Groves made in the two fights and will punish Froch when he slips up. But Boxing is a funny sport, anything can happen. I cannot see Froch taking on the fight though, he has admitted it would be a bad move for him fighting GGG and would duck him if at all possible.

Bringing Ward to England would be a massive fight for Boxing. I doubt S.O.G. would travel though... It would be a boring fight too and Froch knows he will never beat Ward. He got beaten easily by a guy who had one hand during the fight. I think a fight with Chavez Jr. would be a smart move. Big payday and he has a decent chance of winning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,671 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poor fight overall. Groves juts didn't seem to want to engage. He lacked a will and desire to take the fight. Content to be competitive in every rd and nothing more. Never thought one shot would win it for Froch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,671 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Didn't get to see the post fight action. Did Froch and Groves speak? Make up or get on? Interviews after, what was said?

Advertisement