Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

New trailer featuring some gameplay footage from the previous video.

Pre-ordering also gets you access to the Doom 4 beta it seems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I have to say I am looking forward to this, slight spoiler if you watch the video to the point with the final card, nothing major just it might be more fun to make the final choice yourself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Out a week on Tuesday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Saw an interview with the devs saying it clocks in at around 20 hours if you explore everywhere and get all the collectibles, didn't mention how extensive the collectibles were though so hard to gauge that 20 hours in terms of play vs bloat and padding with collectibles. They also didn't mention difficulty used on that time either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Looks good, but from various searches there will be no co-op element. This will hinder it's playiable a bit. Still, if the reviews are decent one to put on my to get list.

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    Looks good, but from various searches there will be no co-op element. This will hinder it's playiable a bit. Still, if the reviews are decent one to put on my to get list.

No multiplayer at all which was a surprise to me , usually this is the exact type of game that gets MP needed or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

calex71 wrote: »
    No multiplayer at all which was a surprise to me , usually this is the exact type of game that gets MP needed or not.
    I think I read that they really wanted to try to make a good single player game, as an alternative to the usual MP games with a weak SP tacked on. I dont have much faith that this will work in a sales way though :(

I think I read that they really wanted to try to make a good single player game, as an alternative to the usual MP games with a weak SP tacked on. I dont have much faith that this will work in a sales way though :(

On the one hand it will the 1st major release on ONE/PS4 in some time which could help it given the lack of games anyway on those but on the other its a week before watch_dogs which will almost certainly hurt it sales wise I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wolf ET (the best one) was meant to be SP and MP but seemingly the Sp was **** so they said "**** it" and released it as MP only for free.

This looks decent will get it when its a tenner or less, which wont be long looking at prices on g2play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Quite looking forward to this, looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Also in case anyone hasn't seen the different ways to play, here is a better idea of the stealth gameplay vs the traditional run and gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 The Surround Gamer

Keep these vids coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Getting the game just for the sake of it - loved Wolfenstein 3D back in the day... :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It actually looks like a lot of fun. I'll pick it up if it's cheap enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dont like how easy he got some of those headshots with that pistol...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Autoaim I imagine with crosshair turned off. Gameplay footages are usually shìte anyways and have a few tricks / cheats enabled.

I'll probably pick this up, looks like decent fun. I like the twin shotguns destroying all around :)

Running slide while throwing a knife to the nuts was my personal favourite :P

Parawind wrote: »

Also in case anyone hasn't seen the different ways to play, here is a better idea of the stealth gameplay vs the traditional run and gun.

There's only one way I will be playing this game...all guns blazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Looks terrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Latest trailer:

Moon Confirmed.

Looks excellently over the top. As it should be.

• Advertisement

Dermighty wrote: »
    Looks terrible!

Agreed , no fun to be had in this game at all by the looks of it :p

If borderlands 2 taught me anything, it's that dual wielding guns > not :pac:

I want it so bad, but single player means it'll go cheap fairly quickly. Bleh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Slightly off topic, but do they predict when the Doom 4 beta will actually be available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Dair. wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but do they predict when the Doom 4 beta will actually be available?

I reckon they will announce that at E3. Techincally, Doom 4 hasn't even been announced yet! We all just kinda knew they were making one after they said they scrapped the original Doom 4 to rebuild it from scratch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,512 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm cautiously optimistic on this one. It seems to have a potentially good mix of old school mechanics and violent fun. But it's already up for a day 1 patch that's 7.3 gig in size:

http://www.geek.com/games/wolfenstein-the-new-order-has-a-7-3gb-day-one-patch-1593907/

Spear wrote: »
    I'm cautiously optimistic on this one. It seems to have a potentially good mix of old school mechanics and violent fun. But it's already up for a day 1 patch that's 7.3 gig in size:

http://www.geek.com/games/wolfenstein-the-new-order-has-a-7-3gb-day-one-patch-1593907/

An issue if you have a limited connection that's for sure, though I'd rather a big patch than none at all if there are issues with the game after it's gone to be pressed. A patch that size is questionable though surely has to contain some kind of game content or fmv and not simply modifying some of the games code?

MS and others really need to look into some kind of compression for delivering patches etc though that would require extra free space to extract / install etc. that said for all I know maybe they already have compressed them :confused:

An issue if you have a limited connection that's for sure, though I'd rather a big patch than none at all if there are issues with the game after it's gone to be pressed. A patch that size is questionable though surely has to contain some kind of game content or fmv and not simply modifying some of the games code?

MS and others really need to look into some kind of compression for delivering patches etc though that would require extra free space to extract / install etc. that said for all I know maybe they already have compressed them :confused:

It's one of the most frustrating aspects of the X1 at the moment. I have limited bandwidth (Connection of 2mg) and these game patches are ridiculously large.

So frustrating purchasing a game and having to download for another day before I actually play the game.

Had an issue recently with Dead Rising 3 where some of the files got corrupted somehow...I ended up having to re-download 13gbs :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Shame they haven't attempted a multiplayer mode imo. Couple of the best online shooters of their time, was never that fussed on the SP games tbh.

Magill wrote: »
    Shame they haven't attempted a multiplayer mode imo. Couple of the best online shooters of their time, was never that fussed on the SP games tbh.
    I'm glad it's not multilayer. Single player seems to be a 'dying art'.

Glad the focus is Single player only. As long as it delivers.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm glad it's not multilayer. Single player seems to be a 'dying art'.

Glad the focus is Single player only. As long as it delivers.

I don't ever remember Wolfenstein having particulary good single player tho, maybe the original -> 3D were good in their day (Before my time unfortunately). RTCW and ET were amazing multiplayer games, 2 of the best imo... its what i'll always remember from "Wolfenstein".

This just looks like a serious sam styled shooter, doesn't look like its something that would be sacrificing plot or something important from the SP to make a MP mode.

I get why people want developers to drop the MP in some games (Your Mass Effects etc) but Wolfenstein...
    'dying art'

Jesus....

I have a good feeling about this game from all I've seen and heard so far.

I get a real Bioshock vibe from it, ok it looks nothing like Bioshock and plays nothing like it, more in that we are getting a good meaty single player FPS.

I don't ever remember Wolfenstein having particulary good single player tho, maybe the original -> 3D were good in their day (Before my time unfortunately). RTCW and ET were amazing multiplayer games, 2 of the best imo... its what i'll always remember from "Wolfenstein".

This just looks like a serious sam styled shooter, doesn't look like its something that would be sacrificing plot or something important from the SP to make a MP mode.

I get why people want developers to drop the MP in some games (Your Mass Effects etc) but Wolfenstein...

Jesus....

The plot looks to be more developed than expected by the looks of the trailers to be fair..
    I'm not comparing it to any other Wolfenstien game but it looks like a lot of fun. I enjoy old-school shooters.

Not sure what your issue is with this comment about it being a 'dying art'??

I'm glad some developers still keep the focus on single player content only, no point in throwing in a half arsed multilayer mode at the development expense of the single player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

The plot looks to be more developed than expected by the looks of the trailers to be fair..
    I'm not comparing it to any other Wolfenstien game but it looks like a lot of fun. I enjoy old-school shooters.

Not sure what your issue is with this comment about it being a 'dying art'??

I'm glad some developers still keep the focus on single player content only, no point in throwing in a half arsed multilayer mode at the development expense of the single player.

I will always remember Wolfenstein for its classic MP awesomeness. RTCW has a special place in my early days of online gaming. Loading it up for the first time, on the map beach... it was fantastic.

My issue with "Single player being a dying art" is that... well its complete garbage. There are tons of great single player games released every year, more than ever before, more than most people can possibly play and complete. Used to read this a lot when talking about poor games, as if the fact that the game having multiplayer was the sole reason for the gaming being crap. Most developers have separate teams for SP and MP.

Is the review embargo tomorrow or tuesday?

• Advertisement

I will always remember Wolfenstein for its classic MP awesomeness. RTCW has a special place in my early days of online gaming. Loading it up for the first time, on the map beach... it was fantastic.

My issue with "Single player being a dying art" is that... well its complete garbage. There are tons of great single player games released every year, more than ever before, more than most people can possibly play and complete. Used to read this a lot when talking about poor games, as if the fact that the game having multilayer was the sole reason for the gaming being crap. Most developers have separate teams for SP and MP.

I think we can agree to disagree here, my opinion stands.

Detracted development of single player and multiplayer components effects the overall quality of the product unless multilayer was part and parcel to the original design concepts.

This game was designed as Single player only, would be stupid to wast time and try and tack on a multiplayer portion so late into development.

Take the Last of Us for example. Naughty Dog spent years perfecting the single player & the multiplayer component in tandem & both are class. Agree they had two teams but they spent adequate time on both components and was always part of the original game design.

Companies outsourcing multiplayer components to other companies is even worse just to satisfy a portion of the market.

Quote from Machine Games

'Eurogamer: Speaking of single-player only games, Wolfenstein: New Order is the first game in the series in over a decade not to include multiplayer. Can you explain why that is?

Pete Hines: We talked to Machine Games about the game they wanted to make and multilayer wasn't in their thought-process.

We're not going to force it down their throats and say, "well, the last games did, so you have to do it." These guys do cool stuff. If you look at The Chronicles of Riddick or you look at The Darkness, those games have a creative element to them that is similar to the things they're doing in Wolfenstein and that's what attracted us to them, and that's what attracted us to their vision of Wolfenstein. And we said "okay, run with that." We're not going to say, "Oh, we'll find somebody else to do the multilayer." Wolfenstein: New Order is as you describe it. End of discussion.'

I think we can agree to disagree here, my opinion stands.

Detracted development of single player and multiplayer components effects the overall quality of the product unless multilayer was part and parcel to the original design concepts.

This game was designed as Single player only, would be stupid to wast time and try and tack on a multiplayer portion so late into development.

Take the Last of Us for example. Naughty Dog spent years perfecting the single player & the multiplayer component in tandem & both are class. Agree they had two teams but they spent adequate time on both components and was always part of the original game design.

Companies outsourcing multiplayer components to other companies is even worse just to satisfy a portion of the market.

Oh I don't want them to just tact mp on. I'm just surprised and slightly disappointed that we've never gotten a sequel ET deserves after all these years.

It's also funny that you mention outsourcing mp being the worse thing you could do... since that's exactly what ID did with RTCW... and it was brilliant !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Parawind wrote: »

Feck. I can see myself dying quite a bit, as I'll go in shooting. It's Wolfenstein, so yup, shooting all the way. I have Hitman for the stealth part. Will probably get it in a month, when the pre-order keys go cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Magill wrote:
    It's also funny that you mention outsourcing mp being the worse thing you could do... since that's exactly what ID did with RTCW... and it was brilliant !!

The guys who developed RTCW Single Player are now part of Treyarch, actually. They also made Call of Duty: United Offensive.

RTCW Multiplayer was untouchable in its day. That Beach map was pretty much the only map i ever played. I'm surprised they never attempted a reboot of the Wolfenstein franchise based on MP. The multiplayer in the 2009 version was terrible. For whatever reason, Steam actually removed that version from their store a while ago, so its incredibly hard to buy now digitally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The guys who developed RTCW Single Player are now part of Treyarch, actually. They also made Call of Duty: United Offensive.

RTCW Multiplayer was untouchable in its day. That Beach map was pretty much the only map i ever played. I'm surprised they never attempted a reboot of the Wolfenstein franchise based on MP. The multiplayer in the 2009 version was terrible. For whatever reason, Steam actually removed that version from their store a while ago, so its incredibly hard to buy now digitally.
    Never played RTCW Multiplayer, but had great fun with Enemy Territory. I wouldn't be surprised if someone ported the levels of WTNO to ET?

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was sort of the golden age for online fps games imo, I remember at the time I had just got into the whole online gaming thing. Between like 1999-2001, Quake 3, TFC, Counterstrike and Wolfenstein were all released.... probably 3 of these being in my top 10 favorite games ever !

I never played too much ET as CS had pretty much taken over my entire gaming life when it was released, but its pretty amazing that they released it as freeware ! Good guy id/SplashDamage.

Multiplayer RTCW was an absolutely enjoyable experience. I play Enemy Territory from time to time still, seems to be going strong still, despite its now extremely outdated graphics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

as someone who sucks at multiplayer FPS , i'm looking forward to this , lost count of the amount of headshots i received yesterday in call of duty ghost deathmatch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,512 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Preload is up, and is 40.7 gigs.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A lot of uncompressed audio?

Xtravision listing the PS4 / X1 version @ 59.99

Haven't seen anything else listed.

Looking to trade in.

Xtravision listing the PS4 / X1 version @ 59.99

Haven't seen anything else listed.

Looking to trade in.

Gamestop are 69.99 but according to the website its something called "occupied edition" also I was in Xtra Vision over the weekend and checked their site their and in both they were showing 23rd as the release date.

I don't know about others but our local have gone very bad for stocking stuff on release day, they got one copy of Bound By Flame in on PS4 a few weeks back and nothing for other systems.

Gamestop are 69.99 but according to the website its something called "occupied edition" also I was in Xtra Vision over the weekend and checked their site their and in both they were showing 23rd as the release date.

I don't know about others but our local have gone very bad for stocking stuff on release day, they got one copy of Bound By Flame in on PS4 a few weeks back and nothing for other systems.

Same in the midlands, local is gone shocking bad for stock and incorrect release dates. It was brought forward for EU to match the US release. I will check Xtravision tomorrow regardless and point it out to them.
    To hell if I'm paying 70 beans :eek:

Same in the midlands, local is gone shocking bad for stock and incorrect release dates. It was brought forward for EU to match the US release. I will check Xtravision tomorrow regardless and point it out to them.
    To hell if I'm paying 70 beans :eek:

I know, only I've nothing to play and my old games not shifting on adverts I'd buy online, xtra vision seem to give decent money on one titles when trading in too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement