Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I have a good feeling about this game from all I've seen and heard so far.

I get a real Bioshock vibe from it, ok it looks nothing like Bioshock and plays nothing like it, more in that we are getting a good meaty single player FPS.

Magill wrote: »
    I don't ever remember Wolfenstein having particulary good single player tho, maybe the original -> 3D were good in their day (Before my time unfortunately). RTCW and ET were amazing multiplayer games, 2 of the best imo... its what i'll always remember from "Wolfenstein".

This just looks like a serious sam styled shooter, doesn't look like its something that would be sacrificing plot or something important from the SP to make a MP mode.

I get why people want developers to drop the MP in some games (Your Mass Effects etc) but Wolfenstein...

Jesus....

The plot looks to be more developed than expected by the looks of the trailers to be fair..
    I'm not comparing it to any other Wolfenstien game but it looks like a lot of fun. I enjoy old-school shooters.

Not sure what your issue is with this comment about it being a 'dying art'??

I'm glad some developers still keep the focus on single player content only, no point in throwing in a half arsed multilayer mode at the development expense of the single player.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The plot looks to be more developed than expected by the looks of the trailers to be fair..
    I'm not comparing it to any other Wolfenstien game but it looks like a lot of fun. I enjoy old-school shooters.

Not sure what your issue is with this comment about it being a 'dying art'??

I'm glad some developers still keep the focus on single player content only, no point in throwing in a half arsed multilayer mode at the development expense of the single player.

I will always remember Wolfenstein for its classic MP awesomeness. RTCW has a special place in my early days of online gaming. Loading it up for the first time, on the map beach... it was fantastic.

My issue with "Single player being a dying art" is that... well its complete garbage. There are tons of great single player games released every year, more than ever before, more than most people can possibly play and complete. Used to read this a lot when talking about poor games, as if the fact that the game having multiplayer was the sole reason for the gaming being crap. Most developers have separate teams for SP and MP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Is the review embargo tomorrow or tuesday?

• Advertisement

Magill wrote: »
    I will always remember Wolfenstein for its classic MP awesomeness. RTCW has a special place in my early days of online gaming. Loading it up for the first time, on the map beach... it was fantastic.

My issue with "Single player being a dying art" is that... well its complete garbage. There are tons of great single player games released every year, more than ever before, more than most people can possibly play and complete. Used to read this a lot when talking about poor games, as if the fact that the game having multilayer was the sole reason for the gaming being crap. Most developers have separate teams for SP and MP.

I think we can agree to disagree here, my opinion stands.

Detracted development of single player and multiplayer components effects the overall quality of the product unless multilayer was part and parcel to the original design concepts.

This game was designed as Single player only, would be stupid to wast time and try and tack on a multiplayer portion so late into development.

Take the Last of Us for example. Naughty Dog spent years perfecting the single player & the multiplayer component in tandem & both are class. Agree they had two teams but they spent adequate time on both components and was always part of the original game design.

Companies outsourcing multiplayer components to other companies is even worse just to satisfy a portion of the market.

Quote from Machine Games

'Eurogamer: Speaking of single-player only games, Wolfenstein: New Order is the first game in the series in over a decade not to include multiplayer. Can you explain why that is?

Pete Hines: We talked to Machine Games about the game they wanted to make and multilayer wasn't in their thought-process.

We're not going to force it down their throats and say, "well, the last games did, so you have to do it." These guys do cool stuff. If you look at The Chronicles of Riddick or you look at The Darkness, those games have a creative element to them that is similar to the things they're doing in Wolfenstein and that's what attracted us to them, and that's what attracted us to their vision of Wolfenstein. And we said "okay, run with that." We're not going to say, "Oh, we'll find somebody else to do the multilayer." Wolfenstein: New Order is as you describe it. End of discussion.'

I think we can agree to disagree here, my opinion stands.

Detracted development of single player and multiplayer components effects the overall quality of the product unless multilayer was part and parcel to the original design concepts.

This game was designed as Single player only, would be stupid to wast time and try and tack on a multiplayer portion so late into development.

Take the Last of Us for example. Naughty Dog spent years perfecting the single player & the multiplayer component in tandem & both are class. Agree they had two teams but they spent adequate time on both components and was always part of the original game design.

Companies outsourcing multiplayer components to other companies is even worse just to satisfy a portion of the market.

Oh I don't want them to just tact mp on. I'm just surprised and slightly disappointed that we've never gotten a sequel ET deserves after all these years.

It's also funny that you mention outsourcing mp being the worse thing you could do... since that's exactly what ID did with RTCW... and it was brilliant !!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Parawind wrote: »
    Quite looking forward to this, looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Also in case anyone hasn't seen the different ways to play, here is a better idea of the stealth gameplay vs the traditional run and gun.

Feck. I can see myself dying quite a bit, as I'll go in shooting. It's Wolfenstein, so yup, shooting all the way. I have Hitman for the stealth part. Will probably get it in a month, when the pre-order keys go cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Magill wrote:
    It's also funny that you mention outsourcing mp being the worse thing you could do... since that's exactly what ID did with RTCW... and it was brilliant !!

The guys who developed RTCW Single Player are now part of Treyarch, actually. They also made Call of Duty: United Offensive.

RTCW Multiplayer was untouchable in its day. That Beach map was pretty much the only map i ever played. I'm surprised they never attempted a reboot of the Wolfenstein franchise based on MP. The multiplayer in the 2009 version was terrible. For whatever reason, Steam actually removed that version from their store a while ago, so its incredibly hard to buy now digitally.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The guys who developed RTCW Single Player are now part of Treyarch, actually. They also made Call of Duty: United Offensive.

RTCW Multiplayer was untouchable in its day. That Beach map was pretty much the only map i ever played. I'm surprised they never attempted a reboot of the Wolfenstein franchise based on MP. The multiplayer in the 2009 version was terrible. For whatever reason, Steam actually removed that version from their store a while ago, so its incredibly hard to buy now digitally.
    Never played RTCW Multiplayer, but had great fun with Enemy Territory. I wouldn't be surprised if someone ported the levels of WTNO to ET?

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was sort of the golden age for online fps games imo, I remember at the time I had just got into the whole online gaming thing. Between like 1999-2001, Quake 3, TFC, Counterstrike and Wolfenstein were all released.... probably 3 of these being in my top 10 favorite games ever !

I never played too much ET as CS had pretty much taken over my entire gaming life when it was released, but its pretty amazing that they released it as freeware ! Good guy id/SplashDamage.

Multiplayer RTCW was an absolutely enjoyable experience. I play Enemy Territory from time to time still, seems to be going strong still, despite its now extremely outdated graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

as someone who sucks at multiplayer FPS , i'm looking forward to this , lost count of the amount of headshots i received yesterday in call of duty ghost deathmatch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Preload is up, and is 40.7 gigs.

Spear wrote: »

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Spear wrote: »

A lot of uncompressed audio?

Xtravision listing the PS4 / X1 version @ 59.99

Haven't seen anything else listed.

Looking to trade in.

Xtravision listing the PS4 / X1 version @ 59.99

Haven't seen anything else listed.

Looking to trade in.

Gamestop are 69.99 but according to the website its something called "occupied edition" also I was in Xtra Vision over the weekend and checked their site their and in both they were showing 23rd as the release date.

I don't know about others but our local have gone very bad for stocking stuff on release day, they got one copy of Bound By Flame in on PS4 a few weeks back and nothing for other systems.

calex71 wrote: »
    Gamestop are 69.99 but according to the website its something called "occupied edition" also I was in Xtra Vision over the weekend and checked their site their and in both they were showing 23rd as the release date.

I don't know about others but our local have gone very bad for stocking stuff on release day, they got one copy of Bound By Flame in on PS4 a few weeks back and nothing for other systems.

Same in the midlands, local is gone shocking bad for stock and incorrect release dates. It was brought forward for EU to match the US release. I will check Xtravision tomorrow regardless and point it out to them.
    To hell if I'm paying 70 beans :eek:

Same in the midlands, local is gone shocking bad for stock and incorrect release dates. It was brought forward for EU to match the US release. I will check Xtravision tomorrow regardless and point it out to them.
    To hell if I'm paying 70 beans :eek:

I know, only I've nothing to play and my old games not shifting on adverts I'd buy online, xtra vision seem to give decent money on one titles when trading in too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭brady12

50/50 on whether buy this

peteeeed wrote: »

The Good, and what I was expecting.

'Old-school combat mechanics are a refreshing change of pace.
    Big, loud guns with excellent feedback & a simple but effective stealth approach'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It unlocked early for the EU last night, along with the US.

After about 40 mins of play:

There was hideous stuttering when it started. Apparently the game engine really doesn't like the compressed video texture option being turned off. Also SLI support isn't working currently. Frame rate is still good with everything maxed on a single GTX 680 at 2560x1440.

Gameplay is standard enough, mindless but still fast and fun. Enemies die to a small enough amount of hits, which keeps momentum up.

There's some hidden details which do add some hidden depth to it. Finding enigma pages to unlock an overall extra, finding maps reveals areas on your own map etc.

But at this point I haven't even finished the prologue, so it's not representative of the main body of the game yet.

Another update on pricing;

Smyths listing X1 & PS4 version @ 64.99.

Cheapest so far still in Xtravision for next gen versions @ 59.99 IF it's stocked. Will be checking later this evening.

Reviews scores so far;

Gamespot - 8
    IGN - 7.8
    OXM - 9.5
    Game Informer - 8
    EGM - 8.5
    Nowgamer - 8
    Polygon - 9
    Eurogamer - 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

According to xtravisions website they're not selling it till the 23rd.

Cheapest so far still in Xtravision for next gen versions @ 59.99 IF it's stocked. Will be checking later this evening.

Reviews scores so far;

Gamespot - 8
    IGN - 7.8
    OXM - 9.5
    Game Informer - 8
    EGM - 8.5
    Nowgamer - 8
    Polygon - 9
    Eurogamer - 6

i'm going to take a stroll up henry st and see who's the cheapest

cloud493 wrote: »
    According to xtravisions website they're not selling it till the 23rd.

Yea, mistake on there behalf. I would check the store.

It's an EU / US / AU release all today, it was brought forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Reviews scores so far;

Gamespot - 8
    IGN - 7.8
    OXM - 9.5
    Game Informer - 8
    EGM - 8.5
    Nowgamer - 8
    Polygon - 9
    Eurogamer - 6

Well, eurogamer being themselves again... Does anyone even take them Seriously anymore?

Would love to get this on PS4, but I am not paying those prices! Pc version most likely for me. Not going to get it now as I got enough stuff to play right now.

Advertisement