Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I couldnt agree more on this. Outside of these 3 the rest are late rounders at best.

Two words...Deone Bucannon.

Gonna be a great addition for anyone who picks him up. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he slips into the 1st round even.

Ed Reynolds is also going under the radar. I actually really like the class of safeties this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The wise football fans booked Friday off work a long time ago :cool:

7289nd.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I couldnt agree more on this. Outside of these 3 the rest are late rounders at best.

I cooled a bit on pryor when he measured in 3 inches shorter than his listed at the combine, but I have come back onside and I would have him ahead of HaHa

Pryor's a heat seaking missile. He's going to spend so much of his rookie money on fines :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Interesting article on why trading up is foolish:

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/7/5683448/how-nfl-teams-ignore-basic-economics-and-draft-players-irrationally
    But the data says that teams just aren't very good at figuring out when this is true. On average, the chance that first player will start more games than the second one picked at his position: 52 percent. Compared to the third, it's still only 55 percent, and compared to the fourth, it's merely 56 percent.

These numbers suggest that moving up eight picks (the average distance between the first and second players at the same position) should cost a small amount, since you're only increasing the odds of a getting a more productive player by four percent or so. But as the steep curve shows, teams pay a ton to move up, especially at the top of the draft.

The top rated mockers from the last five years:

Bob McGinn's mock draft.

Jason Boris's mock draft, though the website seems to be down for the last couple of hours.

Ben Standig's mock draft.

Dan Kadar's mock draft.

Mel Kiper's mock draft (ESPN Insider access required).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

So assuming the experts are right, titans will definitely be drafting, Barr, or Bortles, or Manziel, or whoever Boris and Kiper have mocked :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

So assuming the experts are right, titans will definitely be drafting, Barr, or Bortles, or Manziel, or whoever Boris and Kiper have mocked :P.

Kiper gave ye Barr as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Take note of Todd McShay's final mock draft released today.

Bridgewater to the Browns
    Manziel to the Cowboys
    Mosley to the Ravens
    Clinton-Dix all the way down to the Eagles

This is the first time he's had any of the four above scenarios, and all on the same day when Mayock released his first mock draft which included the above.

Draw your own conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Cowboys and Manziel. Mother of Christ. All you can do is laugh :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Clinton-Dix shouldn't make it as far as the Eagles with us (Packers) ahead of them.

Most mocks have us picking Shazier or Mosley which would be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

chris snee is a very good analyst hes on nfl network at the moment

nerd69 wrote: »
    chris snee is a very good analyst hes on nfl network at the moment

Nice one. Will take a look

Knex. wrote: »
    Nice one. Will take a look

hes gone now.

theres not enough ex o-lineman analysts out there

hes gone now.

theres not enough ex o-lineman analysts out there

Have game pass so can go back. Was it Snee or Shaun O'Hara, who is often on and is quite good? Have never seen Snee on it before. Plus, he's still playing :D

Have game pass so can go back. Was it Snee or Shaun O'Hara, who is often on and is quite good? Have never seen Snee on it before. Plus, he's still playing :D

sorry your right it was shaun o hara

Here's my final mock for tonight:

0610345a5dc81bfdee8798f12e41d04d.png

It's without doubt going to be miles off, but I just get this sneaking feeling that has been in my head for the last couple of days that the Browns are going to get sense and take Bridgewater. I honestly didn't see the McShay pick of him mentioned by JaMarcus or any other link for Bridgewater/Browns before finishing this mock either.

Some other changes I've made:

Vikings pass on a QB with Teddy off the board and go for Donald, the Bears as a result select the heat seeking missile that is Calvin Pryor as they badly need safety help despite just missing out on Clinton-Dix. This also results in the Cowboys needing to adjust and taking Jernigan. Final adjustment is that the Panthers decide to go big WR with Benjamin and the 49ers go for pass rush in Dee Ford.

Otherwise it's unchanged.

Only 1 QB off the board. Unlikely, but I can't get anyone else in. I've come to the conclusion that Jerry Jones is just trolling if he takes Manziel. I'm fully convinced that he's playing a blinder and will get someone to make a trade up to take him at #16, but that would be giving him too much credit :pac:

sorry your right it was shaun o hara

Cool. Fully agree, find his analysis is often quite good. I'd be bias, naturally, but he certainly beats the likes of Miller and Sapp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

I think the Texans will trade back and take a QB with their first pick.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The excitement! This time last year I was positive who the titans were taking this year it have no idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

The excitement! This time last year I was positive who the titans were taking this year it have no idea

Would you wet yourself if they traded into first for Clowney??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Paully D wrote: »

It's without doubt going to be miles off, but I just get this sneaking feeling that has been in my head for the last couple of days that the Browns are going to get sense and take Bridgewater. I honestly didn't see the McShay pick of him mentioned by JaMarcus or any other link for Bridgewater/Browns before finishing this mock either.

Some other changes I've made:

Vikings pass on a QB with Teddy off the board and go for Donald, the Bears as a result select the heat seeking missile that is Calvin Pryor as they badly need safety help despite just missing out on Clinton-Dix. This also results in the Cowboys needing to adjust and taking Jernigan. Final adjustment is that the Panthers decide to go big WR with Benjamin and the 49ers go for pass rush in Dee Ford.

Otherwise it's unchanged.

Only 1 QB off the board. Unlikely, but I can't get anyone else in. I've come to the conclusion that Jerry Jones is just trolling if he takes Manziel. I'm fully convinced that he's playing a blinder and will get someone to make a trade up to take him at #16, but that would be giving him too much credit :pac:

You think Bridgwater will be the first QB off the board? And get picked before Sammy Watkins? I can't see it.

No way Taylor Lewan is still on the board at 17

Bortles will sure be off the board in round one also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

McShay mocks him at 26 to the Browns though. I havent seen a mock for about a month that has him going top 5. I have a dangerous amount of money on him going after 5 so dont be making me nervous!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

What time will the actually 1st pick be announced live. After all the posturing and promotion build up that drags on at the start of the program

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Cowboys and Manziel. Mother of Christ. All you can do is laugh :pac:

Please make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 16m
    Blake Bortles at the top RT @ProFootballTalk: Now the Cowboys are saying Johnny Manziel's not atop their draft board http://wp.me/p14QSB-9tyF

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Is it 2 rounds tonight? Beer/sun has made me forget!

Is it 2 rounds tonight? Beer/sun has made me forget!

just 1, rounds 2/3 are tomorow and the rest the night after

You think Bridgwater will be the first QB off the board? And get picked before Sammy Watkins? I can't see it.

No way Taylor Lewan is still on the board at 17

Bortles will sure be off the board in round one also

Yep, I think there's going to be a lot of surprises in terms of QB's behind all the bluster in this draft, but I'm obviously just guessing and in all honesty we all might as well be throwing darts at a board with players stuck on it as trying to predict what will happen :pac: If I even got 7 or 8 picks spot on I'd be delighted considering the best ranked experts average 10.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bortles goes to the Vikings at #8. Cardinals at #20 probably his only other real shot at going in the 1st IMO, I've seen a few people mock him there and I don't think any of the QB needy teams at the top of the draft will pull the trigger on him so early. If the Vikings and Cardinals pass he could easily slip out of it for me.
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    McShay mocks him at 26 to the Browns though. I havent seen a mock for about a month that has him going top 5. I have a dangerous amount of money on him going after 5 so dont be making me nervous!

Ah, I see. Everything indicates that you'll be fine with that bet mate. You're on Clowney #1 too aren't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

The top rated mockers from the last five years:

Bob McGinn's mock draft.

Jason Boris's mock draft, though the website seems to be down for the last couple of hours.

Ben Standig's mock draft.

Dan Kadar's mock draft.

Mel Kiper's mock draft (ESPN Insider access required).

Bears' target Aaron Donald going at #7 or #8 (Bucs & Vikings) in most, so looks like he won't be there at #14.

Calvin Pryor the most common next pick, though some feel he's not quite worth the #14 pick, so could see the Bears trading down if they can find a partner.

Advertisement