Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well you would be mistaking as drinking at all at that high level of sport , will have an effect on your preformance, Even a few drinks will have a much bigger effect on you rbody than you would think and at that level its the small things that can make the difference,

In farinees maybe fighthing is slightly different as other things effect the fight but in sports manily based on athletic prefromance any Alcohol is a huge no no

I doubt anyone would dispute that regular drinking, be it weekly, monthly etc has a affect on performance.
    But I think he was getting at the fact that it's a cumulative effect. A one off drink, months out from an event. Would be neglible imo.

Just speaking generally here. It's a bit silly to speculate that Connor was drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just spoke to the same mate I spoke of before.

According to him, Conor was in Sin on Sunday night and was lashing the drink into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

The next Paul McGrath

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Chad Mendes had a few choice words to say about McGregor recently......
    Mendes didn't hold back when asked about McGregor, "Bottom line, this guy is the biggest **** talker I have ever seen or heard in my entire life. Basically, what he's doing is trying to get up in the top mix as quickly as he can because he hasn't fought anybody. This guy he needs to fight someone in the top five and I guarantee he will get his ass kicked. I don't see why he feels he needs to run his mouth, talking ****. It's one thing to build the fight up, but to make it personal and talking **** about people, it's not cool. This guy is just a **** talker who is trying to get to the top without doing the work. He needs to take his stupid-ass haircut, his goofy little suits and fight someone in the top five and prove himself before he doesn't any of that."

When asked if he had any interest in fighting McGregor, Mendes, without hesitation, replied, "I would beat the **** out of Conor McGregor. It wouldn't even be a fight. I would knock that dude out in the first round. Guaranteed. The guy is a clown."

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

This latest spree of speculation is absolutely ridiculous! He's spotted out having a drink and all of a sudden, he's always out, lashing drink into him. Of COURSE, the next logical conclusion is he's not bothered, half arsing if even bothering to train, he'll probably be an alcoholic by the end of the week.

If this was an American acting like this, it'd be lapped up. But he's Irish and there's nothing we do better than giving out. Whatever happens, Conor McGregor, prize fighter, is doing his job.
    Whether you love him or hate him, you all wanna see what happens next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I think Chad Mendes is bang on with what he said. Liking Conor less and less the more I hear the guy talk, if he wasn't Irish I would probably despise the guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

I reckon Cole submits him in the first anyways

Richy06 wrote: »
    Whatever happens, Conor McGregor, prize fighter, is doing his job.

True enough, but...............
    Whether you love him or hate him, you all wanna see what happens next.

Nobody will really give a **** though if the thing that happens next is he gets choked unconscious by Cole Miller. There's only so far talking can get you.

If he backs it all up and smashes everyone on the way to the title, amazing!

But as soon as he doesn't, all that goes away and nobody wants to listen to his sh*te talk anymore! It's happened to many fighters before him! And the "Yore juzt jellisss" attitude of wanting to see what happens next quickly turns into "Jesus, remember when Brandon Vera was telling people he was going to be World Champ at LHW & HW? Lol"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just spoke to the same mate I spoke of before.

According to him, Conor was in Sin on Sunday night and was lashing the drink into him.

I say he was still in Sin on Monday talking to the MMA hour

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Think we are seeing more of a bullying trait coming out from beyond the persona. I recall a poster earlier in this thread saying that they attended school with Conor and that he was nothing but a bully.

He went 'full retard' in that last interview and he is trying to sound all deep and intelligent but it is just not working out for him as he does not seem to have the intellectual capacity to speak in this way. It is great to listen to the one liners for a while but it really wears thin after a while.

Fair play to him for attracting all the publicity at getting the spotlight, but to claim that he is representing a nation is simply incorrect. Other UFC fighters must think we are a nation of wackos to support this kind of carry on.

I like his style of fighting but i think he power and speed is far from those at the top of the division. I think he is absorbed by delusions of grandeur at this point and I also think his world will come crashing down when he meets a top fighter.

This is pure speculation on my part, but from his personality, I believe that the money is more important to him than the fighting.

After hearing responses from aldo,cub and mendes they are worlds apart in terms of respect and humility. Aldo is pure class in that he has actually been very complimentary of Conor up to this point. If anyone has the right to say he is 'the king' it is Aldo. I would actually fear for Conor's safety if they ever met, but that may never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Unless your Tank Abbott of course
    he did most of his training in bars!

jodaw wrote: »
    Think we are seeing more of a bullying trait coming out from beyond the persona. I recall a poster earlier in this thread saying that they attended school with Conor and that he was nothing but a bully.

He went 'full retard' in that last interview and he is trying to sound all deep and intelligent but it is just not working out for him as he does not seem to have the intellectual capacity to speak in this way. It is great to listen to the one liners for a while but it really wears thin after a while.

Fair play to him for attracting all the publicity at getting the spotlight, but to claim that he is representing a nation is simply incorrect. Other UFC fighters must think we are a nation of wackos to support this kind of carry on.

I like his style of fighting but i think he power and speed is far from those at the top of the division. I think he is absorbed by delusions of grandeur at this point and I also think his world will come crashing down when he meets a top fighter.

This is pure speculation on my part, but from his personality, I believe that the money is more important to him than the fighting.

After hearing responses from aldo,cub and mendes they are worlds apart in terms of respect and humility. Aldo is pure class in that he has actually been very complimentary of Conor up to this point. If anyone has the right to say he is 'the king' it is Aldo. I would actually fear for Conor's safety if they ever met, but that may never happen.

he kind of is whether we like it or not,

I really hate how the crowd chants "USA! USA!", I notice it most when its a Brazilian opponent

Anyone remember Houston Alexander?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

You could not be more wrong. These guys struggled to rub two pennies together for years whilst honing their craft. All in pursuit of a bigger, or in some cases just to get any money, pay cheque. But if you thought money is his only motivator, you've never seen the man train.

Anyone thinking Conor is going to just be submitted on the ground by Cole Miller, just like that, is really underestimating Conor's training partners, coaches and Conor himself. Conor is no slouch on the ground and certainly doesn't shirk that element in the game. Plus, Cole Miller is no Gunnar Nelson.
    Anyway, we'll see.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Houston Alexander?

Or Sokoudjou?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

I prefer fighters that do their 'talking' in the ring/octagon. Chael has the gift of the gab, its not something you can train for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I prefer fighters that do their 'talking' in the ring/octagon. Chael has the gift of the gab, its not something you can train for

Has he not done that thus far? Two very impressive performances, one with a blown ACL no less.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Has he not done that thus far? Two very impressive performances, one with a blown ACL no less.
    yes, Im not anti Conor, looking forward to his next fight. just not a fan of the bs

he must be doing something right eitherway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Wow, I was never his biggest fan, but he seriously comes across as a totally disrespectful asshole.

You have to laugh when he talks about Cole running his mouth and getting himself into trouble.

The chap is actually delusional.

WTF does he keep on talking about being so fast, compared to who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd be interested to hear what Dana White made of it all. It's good for the UFC that this event will sell out well as will future events with Conor on the card because there's a whole division wanting to smash him.

For Conor, it could turn sour very quickly and the hype train could come to a shattering halt. It's how he bounces back from a loss -more precisely a devastating loss- that will be the most interesting piece to all of this.

I like Conor as a fighter and I was charmed by his real "lad-ish" attitude after the first fight.

I'm beginning to think the worldwide recognition and huge increase in money has changed him for the worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Desperate interview. Came across as an idiot, all mouth and he's setting himself up badly for a fall. Previously he had a bit of charm but this was just embarrassing and repetitive. Disappointed because I want the guy to do well because he's Irish but he's not helping himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Some role model for teens and adults alike..............................mouthpiece, bully, gombeen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Ok folks, he didn't come across too well in the interview. We get it.
    But knock off the name calling. Fighter bashing is against the charter. We don't want this thread to head down the road of the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

I still love Conor even though I agree that he went overboard. Hopefully he will calm down after this and I'm sure John will have a word with him about it.
    Capture.png
    ...See he's already changing his ways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I would say Conor has lived a comfortable existence and up until got a UFC contract traìned while in receipt of JSA funded by the Irish taxpayer. Aldo on the other handed moved to train at Nova Uniao really without a penny. He slept on the floor and relied on trainers for food etc... This is where the real animal instinct comes from and why I think there will be a gulf in heart and class if they ever meet. Aldo maybe help his family out of abject poverty with his first paycheque whereas Conor has suits and a BMW on his mind.

And the end of the day Conor can return to the Dole if it does not work out and Brazilian fighters etc... cannot and there is no state support to mention. They will always be hungrier and better for this amongst other reasons.

IMO, that's a load of nonsense. Aldo is the fighter there is because he is incredibly gifted and skilled. He slept at the gym because he had to, he received no benefits because there were none. Saying his ability is done to his environment is extremely belittling of the effort he surely put in.
    For every success story like his pumped out on UFC tonight, there are countless other in Brazil sleeping in gyms and on the streets and not escaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I think it might be worth noting that one of his friends passed away recently, so perhaps he is acting out in this way. I'm not sure how close they were exactly, but he was posting about it a good few times on Facebook etc recently.

I know it's not an excuse for being an asshole to other people, but personal tragedies have different effects on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Or Sokoudjou?

Or Kimbo slice

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Or Kimbo slice

Or Brock !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement