Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

They're awesome! I can see the Mei Tai being used for outdoors and the stretchy wrap for indoors (although that may be very idealistic!!). Did you use yours with a newborn January?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

She was about 4 weeks old when I started using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

QUOTE.

You are under no obligation to agree to induction or any other interventions when overdue. You can be advised of the necessity for them but you are free to refuse. I was allowed to go a week overdue on my second because of a previous section but I could have waited it out if I didn't want a planned section or waters broken. I refused some interventions after my waters broke

Are you over 40yrs old? My query is that some places apparently have this policy for those aged 40+.

73trix wrote: »
    As a first-timer 40+ I was wondering about what people know about this. I heard that in some hospitals, if over 40, they do not let you go over your due date at all. Is this common? First proper hospital appt in 2 wks with the big scan etc so getting the Q's ready but v curious in the meantime!

I haven't heard of that policy anyway but I'm not over 40 either... from just a quick google it seems prominent in the UK at least not to let 'older' mums go over their due date but I can't seem to find a reason for it at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My query (for today and probably only for now, there are always more queries!) is in relation to jury duty.
    I got called for jury duty a little while back and was fine with going. Now I find that its impossible for me to sit still for long periods of time (my back and pelvis get quite sore and uncomfortable) and I have to pee frequently. If I get picked to sit on a jury for a trial I won't be able to sit for hours on end while the trial progresses. Do you think I can be excused? I have to present myself for selection next Monday.
    I'll be 18+3 on Monday.

I was excused twice due to having young children . ring them then send a letter .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

73trix wrote: »
    QUOTE.

You are under no obligation to agree to induction or any other interventions when overdue. You can be advised of the necessity for them but you are free to refuse. I was allowed to go a week overdue on my second because of a previous section but I could have waited it out if I didn't want a planned section or waters broken. I refused some interventions after my waters broke

Are you over 40yrs old? My query is that some places apparently have this policy for those aged 40+.

Even if it is hospital policy you can still refuse. Hospitals or medical professionals cannot force you to do anything you do not want. Obviously they can advice you what is best for you and baby but ultimately it is your decision.

A bit like the policy in holles st to give oxytocin if you have not progressed after 2 hours. You have the right to refuse this even tho it is hospital policy. However,
    I would be sceptical in regards to this policy and if it is in the best interests of the mother and baby to give same so soon. Obviously in some cases it is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I lost a filling from a tooth this morning.
    Off to the dentist with me at 10:30!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

best of luck penny you will be grand,

been a while since i was in here, hope everyone is keeping well 29+1 here now time is flying

It wasn't too bad in the end. I had a bad dental experience about ten years ago and it's left me dreading the dentist ever since. Oddly I go really often for check ups as a result. My thinking behind that is that he'll be able to sort any potential problems before they get too bad.
    Anyhow, he fixed my tooth without it hurting too much although the anaesthetic is wearing off now and it is starting to hurt more. Some paracetamol and a nap and I'm sure I'll be brand new.
    On a good note he looked over the rest of the pearly whites and they're all in good working order so hopefully there will be no more dental surprises over the remainder of the pregnancy.
    Did cost €150 though!!

€150 for 1 filling?

• Advertisement

€150 for 1 filling?

It wasn't just a regular filling though. I had a big filling in the tooth years ago and was told at the time it was a temporary job. The dentist put a calcium pack into strengthen the remains of the tooth. It should have held for only a few months but ended up lasting almost ten years. Today it decided to give up the ghost.
    So when I was there today he had to lay a flat calcium bed in the remains of the tooth again and fill around it and top it all off. As what's in there now is so big he had to put a titanium screw in from the side of the tooth to hold it all together and keep it strong.
    He drew it out for me to see which was kinda cool. It's a rare and unusual job that he hasn't had to do that often.
    The alternative was a root canal and a crown which would have cost about €1000 and possibly leave the tooth weaker so I'm happy enough with what I got done. Also it wouldn't necessarily have been as ok to do while pregnant.

Anaesthetic totally worn off now though and my face is killing me.

oh right thats ok i was nearly getting sick at the thought of €150 for 1 filling im a dental nurse you see, root canals can fail especially if the tooth is heavely filled not worth it really, you could look at an implant but same kinda price your talking about x

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

oh right thats ok i was nearly getting sick at the thought of €150 for 1 filling im a dental nurse you see, root canals can fail especially if the tooth is heavely filled not worth it really, you could look at an implant but same kinda price your talking about x

Surely a post and core- would be the way to go?
    Anyhow- miles off topic.
    Hope the soreness has worn off by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had such a gorgeous day yesterday. Mr.Merkin treated me to a full body nurturing pregnancy massage and a facial in the spa at Solis Lough Eske and then we had a lovely lunch there, it was absolute bliss! Was massaged all over in beautiful rose oil and not only did I love it but baby Merkin did too. For anyone who needs a little bit of pampering I'd really recommend it, feel a million dollars after it :)

Wow that sound's amazing merkin so jealous xx hope all is well today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Merkin wrote: »
    Had such a gorgeous day yesterday. Mr.Merkin treated me to a full body nurturing pregnancy massage and a facial in the spa at Solis Lough Eske and then we had a lovely lunch there, it was absolute bliss! Was massaged all over in beautiful rose oil and not only did I love it but baby Merkin did too. For anyone who needs a little bit of pampering I'd really recommend it, feel a million dollars after it :)

O my that sounds glorious! Lough eske is the most gorgeous place.

It was just lovely girls, I promised them I'll be back when baby comes. :) The whole thing was wonderfully rejuvenating and relaxing.

must look into something like that and start leaving hints for the hubby haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ooo30

Hey all, New to this !

just wanted to ask im 25 weeks now due in August the last few days ive had a really bad back and pain in the pelvic area, esp when i walk i feel it now ive no spotting and no other symptoms just feel like ive had a 5 hour horse riding lesson!!

I was at my midwife on Friday and all was ok she said it was normal and not to worry as i had no spotting or cramps. and i had a bad back anyway before , ive been going to physio and have stretches

Did anyone else have this and any tips on how to ease it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Just a Quick Q: how many blood tests we're getting done? I had my first around 14wk mark, all results were fine then, over two months ago. I'm concerned whether my diet is good enough and I'm not lacking anything, I'd like to know iron, calcium etc levels.

• Advertisement

I don't think they check calcium levels, just iron and for the rubella immunity etc.

You can always ask them to check for you again but I only ever got one set of bloods done at booking appt and then not again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ooo30

I had them done when i first went to my doctors to confirm my pregnancy only because i had Anemia when i was younger and they did them again at the dating scan / booking appointment at 12 weeks.

I had a another lot of bloods done as i got an infection and had to check everything again.

If you are concerned ask them to take your bloods

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm feeling fine at the moment but I wouldn't want to get to the stage where I'm gasping for air or feeling like passing out and later to find out that my hemoglobin was low. I have an appointment with my GP in two weeks time, maybe I should book the bloods too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

j@utis wrote: »
    I'm feeling fine at the moment but I wouldn't want to get to the stage where I'm gasping for air or feeling like passing out and later to find out that my hemoglobin was low. I have an appointment with my GP in two weeks time, maybe I should book the bloods too.

I'm feeling great too and have never had my bloods taken. Now, I didn't ask either, just assumed the GP would have done so at my 13wk check up but he didn't so i just figured he didn't think it necessary??? I don't have any significant medical history, maybe that's why? I have my big scan next week followed by the first antenatal hospital visit where I'm expecting to get tests done then. Weird how the system is so different around the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I had my blood done initially at the 13 week mark and then got them taken again last month to check my iron levels etc. but I am vegetarian so don't know if that's why they wanted to check them again. My platelets were also ever so slightly elevated for first bloods so they tested that again too and all was grand.

i had my bloods done at my booking appointment and again at 28 weeks just to check iron levels etc

must look into something like that and start leaving hints for the hubby haha :)

Don't be too subtle with the hints. ;) In case my husband didn't quite get what I was hinting at I decided to tell him outright that I'd love a trip to Monart (or similar) with him before the baby is born.
    Now he is very aware of what I'm hoping for:):o

I'm heading off to the shops this evening to buy my first set of maternity clothing:eek:.
    I've been flat as a pancake until this week and on Tuesday a little bump decided to appear. Now my own jeans are starting to get a little uncomfortable as the day wears on so I thought I'd just bite the bullet and go for it. I'm also going to look at summer clothes as I'll be heading off on holidays for the first two weeks in June and will certainly be needing something to wear by then.
    My sister called over last night and gave me a loan of a lot of the clothes she wore while she was pregnant. Most of the tops are lovely and will fit me fine but I'm a fair bit taller than her and we're opposite sizes top and bottom (I'm a 10 on top, 12 on bottom and she is the opposite). A lot of the trousers she gave me are too short or too tight on the bum area.
    I think I'll buy a couple of pairs of jeans this evening and a summer dress too. I'll leave the work clothes for a while longer as I still have enough that fits me for that now.

Whats really hit me hard and its so silly and such a first world problem, is the fact that I'm going to get really big! I love the fact that I'm pregnant and am so so happy about this little baby thats on its way and so is my husband but I think the lack of control over my body and its shape and size is freaking me out a little.
    I'm being silly I know, when I was on the TTC thread I'd have given anything to have this concern so I'm not being ungrateful its just an odd feeling.

Had my 28-week consultant's appointment this morning in hospital and little baby Merkin is doing very well. My belly measures 30cm!! (:eek:) which is within the normal range but explains why my bump is mahoosive! Consultant said he is a very active and busy little boy, my BP was great at 100/60 and the little fellow's BPM was between 135-170 so all in all very happy. He's been a little quieter than normal the last couple of days but he had an exceptionally busy Monday and Tuesday - the consultant said they have a little rest after being exceptionally busy like that.....so sweet :) I've gone up a few more points on the smitten-ometer!

By the way, I am booked in for my Anti-D injection next Thursday, have any of you ladies had this and what should I expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Merkin wrote: »
    Had my 28-week consultant's appointment this morning in hospital and little baby Merkin is doing very well. My belly measures 30cm!! (:eek:) which is within the normal range but explains why my bump is mahoosive! Consultant said he is a very active and busy little boy, my BP was great at 100/60 and the little fellow's BPM was between 135-170 so all in all very happy. He's been a little quieter than normal the last couple of days but he had an exceptionally busy Monday and Tuesday - the consultant said they have a little rest after being exceptionally busy like that.....so sweet :) I've gone up a few more points on the smitten-ometer!

By the way, I am booked in for my Anti-D injection next Thursday, have any of you ladies had this and what should I expect?
    Anti D is grand, I wasn't waiting long to have it done (rotunda) wasn't sore. I had to wait 20 mins after to make sure I didn't have a reaction.
    They gave it in my bum if I remember correctly! Flu jab was worse my arm was sore after that!

Advertisement