Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We have the uppababy vista, great system too. We were told in Tony Kealys that its suitable for sleeping in but the Bugaboo isnt FYI!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

We have the uppababy vista, great system too. We were told in Tony Kealys that its suitable for sleeping in but the Bugaboo isnt FYI!

Were they talking about the 3rd gen Bugaboo chameleon? Or a different bugaboo model? The bugaboo Cham is 100% definitely ok for overnight sleeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

We were told the same.

I find the Uppababy Vista great because even I can manage to use it out and about on my own ... that's saying something! :D It's so easy!

We've just switched from the carrycot to the buggy seat (he's three months old) - I love that you can just fold it up as it is without taking out the seat, will be great on buses etc! And also it's great to have access to the big massive basket (not easy with carrycot!)

For the first couple of months, he was napping in the carrycot downstairs, which was very handy ... also great for nights that we stayed with relatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Were they talking about the 3rd gen Bugaboo chameleon? Or a different bugaboo model? The bugaboo Cham is 100% definitely ok for overnight sleeping.

Anywhere I looked when I was shopping, I was told that this carrycot wasn't approved for overnight sleeping, but was "probably fine" ... it doesn't say that it's OK for overnight sleeping on the Bugaboo website, you'd imagine they'd say it, if it was?

http://tonykealys.com/bugaboo-cameleon3-dark-grey-base.html

Lol... Tony kealys contradicting themselves then. See 2nd paragraph from bottom taken from their own website! Is definitely fit for overnight sleeping.

I went to 3 shops before I bought mine and they all confirmed the bugaboo was fit for overnight sleeping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Just saw a picture of one of the bathrooms in the Rotunda... a friend was in today and took it and shared it on her FB page.

Manky is an understatement... :\

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

January wrote: »
    Just saw a picture of one of the bathrooms in the Rotunda... a friend was in today and took it and shared it on her FB page.

Manky is an understatement... :\

Was spotless when I was there last Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Was spotless when I was there last Monday!

Not today, shared a picture on my FB page... to be fair it just needs a good tidy but the sanitary bin is over flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I think their exact words to me were that it is clearly designed for overnight sleeping, but they havent got it officially/ legally stamped seal of approval for some reason. They couldnt fathom why since the structure/ compliance/ air vents etc are all there but it wasnt official before Xmas anyway. Unless theyve done it now! :)

Also LOVE the massive basket on the vista, although you need 3 hands to put down the shade thingy on the basinette. and i dislike that the carry handle touches the wheels when its folded - but that is probably the same for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

To be fair I've spent an almighty amount of time in various parts of the hospital in the last six months and the loos are always spotless. I wonder is it a loo connected to a very busy ward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

January wrote: »
    Not today, shared a picture on my FB page... to be fair it just needs a good tidy but the sanitary bin is over flowing.

Wouldn't have thought there be many people using sanitary products haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

http://tonykealys.com/bugaboo-cameleon3-dark-grey-base.html

Lol... Tony kealys contradicting themselves then. See 2nd paragraph from bottom taken from their own website! Is definitely fit for overnight sleeping.

I went to 3 shops before I bought mine and they all confirmed the bugaboo was fit for overnight sleeping.

Sligo1 they told me the same that it technically has not been officially approved for overnight sleeping even though it has an aero sleep mattress! Supposedly bugaboo won't pay for the tests to get it approved. They said the uppababy vista is really the only thing that is officially approved.
    Merkin I have bruiser too. I find that the width is very important for sleeping. So I would recommend the lullaby glider crib from baby elegance it is the widest one I found. It is €50 cheaper to buy in smyths then he can go into cot/cotbed in his room? Although a lot of people put babies straight I to the cot!
    http://www.toys.ie/Baby-Elegance-Lullaby-Glider-Crib-!123040-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=9c22e0a2-6d58-46a6-ad4e-16255be64be0
    Also I would highly recommend bugaboo cameleon for travel system the carrycot is one of the biggest on the market.

Perhaps tony kealys are the only ones Giving this info? I asked 3 places including the sligo shop (spoke to owner) that has the website and they all said its fit for over night sleeping. Perhaps TKs have done their research more than others....

Perhaps tony kealys are the only ones Giving this info? I asked 3 places including the sligo shop (spoke to owner) that has the website and they all said its fit for over night sleeping. Perhaps TKs have done their research more than others....

One of the workers told me she used it on her baby for overnight sleeping. She said she was happy to use it and then took apart mattress to show me "honeycombe" thing that makes it breathable. I use it everyday for naps down stairs and had Moses basket upstairs for overnight. I now use a cot but at 6 months he is going into a cot bed in his room. I couldnt justify cradle so just got an ikea cot and had a proper matress already for my travel cot (which happens to be standard cot size). I would of loved love the cradle from the start but I had to use family Moses basket (which is a wicker and fab).

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

Sorry totally off subject, but I'm due first week in June (just under 8 weeks), and just lying in bed here wondering would it be too early to start making and freezing dinners now?? Hubby a terrible cook and want to eat something decent when come home from hospital, hoping to breastfeed.. But worried if I start cooking them now they might be manky by then.. What you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Anything to be eaten within three months should be fine. If you've got the energy and inclination to do it now definitely get on with it before you get very big or tired etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Merkin wrote: »
    Aw thanks very much January, I am VERY excited! So curious to see what he looks like and what kind of little personality he has and what his little likes and dislikes are you, you know! It's very exciting. :)

I have a question around the very confusing topic of bedding! Excuse my cluelessness but what do people recommend for newborns? If baby Merkin is a big boy I'm not so sure about a Moses basket (given that my nephew grew out of his in about two weeks!)

So I was thinking of one of these. http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-chicco-next2me-crib-dove-grey/475120600/type-i/ Does anyone have something similar? Or would we better getting a cot from when he is small? Or should we get a crib and then graduate on to a cot? I'd like something that I could also have for downstairs so he could have a little nap there. Is there a little sturdy carry cot type thing I could get also?

Any recommendations for bedding for the various stages of babyhood would be great as I'm a little bit at sea in this regard - cheers!

Hi merkin, my little guy (not really he is 12 weeks old,16 pounds and over 2 feet long) is now in his big cot, we had a moses basket to start, he grew out of this after 4 weeks, we used to carry this upstairs for him to sleep at nite as he didn't settle well in the crib when he was new born, he then had to go into crib at night, but he was grand, he out grew that three weeks later as he was waking himself up when his arms hit off the side, in the mean time we needed something downstairs for day time sleeping so I found the baby elegance travel cot with mattress separate perfect, it's not too big and has a feature of a crib/moses basket, that is higher up for when baby is small. He is in his cot bed now (in our room) and has never slept better, so much room. If I could go back and do it all again I really think I would just have travel cot and the actual cot and leave the other stuff, maybe the basket for the first couple of weeks, but for me now I think they were a huge waste of money.
    But every baby is a different size and some babies stay in basket for 5 - 6 months.

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Hi merkin, my little guy (not really he is 12 weeks old,16 pounds and over 2 feet long) is now in his big cot, we had a moses basket to start, he grew out of this after 4 weeks, we used to carry this upstairs for him to sleep at nite as he didn't settle well in the crib when he was new born, he then had to go into crib at night, but he was grand, he out grew that three weeks later as he was waking himself up when his arms hit off the side, in the mean time we needed something downstairs for day time sleeping so I found the baby elegance travel cot with mattress separate perfect, it's not too big and has a feature of a crib/moses basket, that is higher up for when baby is small. He is in his cot bed now (in our room) and has never slept better, so much room. If I could go back and do it all again I really think I would just have travel cot and the actual cot and leave the other stuff, maybe the basket for the first couple of weeks, but for me now I think they were a huge waste of money.
    But every baby is a different size and some babies stay in basket for 5 - 6 months.

I actually rang baby elegance when he outgrew Moses basket and she suggested the travel cot! I have one (I bought it to use as a playpen) that is a standard cot size 120 cm x 60 cm but I feel the base is too low for him to sleep in! Merkin if you go into smyths they have crib, cot, and travel cot beside each other so you can see what you think. I wouldn't waste money on a Moses basket though! I wouldn't mind the Moses baskets you buy now are so flimsy and bendy! I have a big hard whicker one I actually haven't seen one like it in the shops soooooo sturdy.

Hi merkin, my little guy (not really he is 12 weeks old,16 pounds and over 2 feet long) is now in his big cot

Little? :eek: He's almost ready for school! :) What a little bruiser he is!

Thanks a million for the feedback both Coopaloop and Millem, I think a good sturdy travel cot and then a normal baby cot that he can grow into sound like the best option tbh. A lot of people have advised against the Moses basket if he's going to be a big boy so probably best to avoid altogether. Thank you ladies! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I remember on my first i was told by an experienced midwife that she'd weigh in at around 8 - 8 1/2 pounds... she was 7 days late and weighed in at 5lbs 8ozs .. :eek: i had not one stitch of clothes to fit her :pac:

The morning sickness is horrible.. 24 hour nausea and the tiredness is just wiping me out! Add to that a car accident on monday night (€3000 damage to the car) i'm just ready to give up :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Millem wrote: »
    I actually rang baby elegance when he outgrew Moses basket and she suggested the travel cot! I have one (I bought it to use as a playpen) that is a standard cot size 120 cm x 60 cm but I feel the base is too low for him to sleep in! Merkin if you go into smyths they have crib, cot, and travel cot beside each other so you can see what you think. I wouldn't waste money on a Moses basket though! I wouldn't mind the Moses baskets you buy now are so flimsy and bendy! I have a big hard whicker one I actually haven't seen one like it in the shops soooooo sturdy.

The baby elegance has an attachment that goes into it so the baby is half way up if you get me, and then when they are bigger they go in the bottom, you can get a mattress for it too, oh and it has a changing mat that flips over down the side, really handy, it's the best thing we have bought so far.
    Oh there is a website for wicker baskets, I have one, got it as a gift, really sturdy, but they are not cheap, izziwatnot, based in UK, but delivery to Ireland, and big enough too.

The baby elegance has an attachment that goes into it so the baby is half way up if you get me, and then when they are bigger they go in the bottom, you can get a mattress for it too, oh and it has a changing mat that flips over down the side, really handy, it's the best thing we have bought so far.
    Oh there is a website for wicker baskets, I have one, got it as a gift, really sturdy, but they are not cheap, izziwatnot, based in UK, but delivery to Ireland, and big enough too.

My one looks exactly like a izziwotnot one except bigger and off white waffle cover if my memory serves me correct 70cm x 30cm is mattress! [URL] http://www.izziwotnot.com/moses-baskets/all-moses-baskets/white-premium-gift-wicker-moses-basket?colour=Natural[/URL] Mine is our family one is old but still in perfect condition the stand is all wooden. We just buy a new mattress every time :) yes I looked at baby elegance travel cot but I wanted a standard size and thicker mattress. My mattress for travel cot is a baby elegance standard cot mattress. I am using it in ikea cot at the mo but have a fab pocket sprung one for cot bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Has anybody found that their bump just suddenly popped up over the space of a few weeks? I only had a small pooch about two weeks ago and now I have a proper firm, roundy bump. I thought it was too early at 4 months to show but the midwife had a feel today and said my uterus is up nice and high. I was very surprised by how high up she heard the baby on doppler (what a delightful sound :D )

I'd even been hiding my belly in hoodies for the last while because I thought people would think I'm a fatty but after today's visit I feel way better about it. She said because I'm so short (I'm 4'11) that the bump has to grow out rather than up and that's why her short women tend to show a bit sooner. I'm just surprised by how fast the bump came up. I'm not complaining at all, I'm so happy that baby is growing just as he/she should be :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yes, I'm petite and was showing by 14 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Definite bump since 12wks..5ft 4 and fairly slim. Was amazed to show so early! Great tho! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Isolt wrote: »
    Has anybody found that their bump just suddenly popped up over the space of a few weeks? I only had a small pooch about two weeks ago and now I have a proper firm, roundy bump. I thought it was too early at 4 months to show but the midwife had a feel today and said my uterus is up nice and high. I was very surprised by how high up she heard the baby on doppler (what a delightful sound :D )

I'd even been hiding my belly in hoodies for the last while because I thought people would think I'm a fatty but after today's visit I feel way better about it. She said because I'm so short (I'm 4'11) that the bump has to grow out rather than up and that's why her short women tend to show a bit sooner. I'm just surprised by how fast the bump came up. I'm not complaining at all, I'm so happy that baby is growing just as he/she should be :)

Your bump sounds cute! :)

Can anyone please recommend a good maternity swimsuit? Preferably one that will accommodate a rather large and ever expanding bump please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I've seen decent ones in Dunne's. I've not used them but there stretchy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I've seen decent ones in Dunne's. I've not used them but there stretchy

+1 - I got one when I was pregnant. You might need to go up a size though, esp if you have big boobs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

So we broke the news to my family over the weekend when we were all together (for once!). It was lovely, everyone was so happy and pleased for us. We're visiting my husband's family next weekend and will tell them then.
    I might have to tell work this week, I was hoping to hold off for another few weeks but the workplace is proving very difficult since just before Christmas (not just for me, it's a new regime, new CEO who acts like a tyrant and so so many people are upset, stressed, pee'd off, etc) and I think I'm going to be forced to move into an area that I really really don't want, was promised before hand I wouldn't have to go to, it's a long story really. Anyway, they'll be expecting me to move into it by the end of August and I think I'll tell them that I am pregnant and will be going on maternity leave in the middle of September.

Advertisement