Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Anti D is grand, I wasn't waiting long to have it done (rotunda) wasn't sore. I had to wait 20 mins after to make sure I didn't have a reaction.
    They gave it in my bum if I remember correctly! Flu jab was worse my arm was sore after that!

I've had it a number of times (6 I think), always in my arm (holles st.). It's a bit sore while being injected as it comes out of the fridge, but it's nothing major and I had no after effects apart from a slightly sore arm - just like any injection. I've never had to wait around afterwards but the first time I every got it I was an inpatient so maybe they know I don't react? Anyway, it's nothing at all to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Merkin wrote: »
    Had my 28-week consultant's appointment this morning in hospital and little baby Merkin is doing very well. My belly measures 30cm!! (:eek:) which is within the normal range but explains why my bump is mahoosive! Consultant said he is a very active and busy little boy, my BP was great at 100/60 and the little fellow's BPM was between 135-170 so all in all very happy. He's been a little quieter than normal the last couple of days but he had an exceptionally busy Monday and Tuesday - the consultant said they have a little rest after being exceptionally busy like that.....so sweet :) I've gone up a few more points on the smitten-ometer!

By the way, I am booked in for my Anti-D injection next Thursday, have any of you ladies had this and what should I expect?

That sounds great Merkin. :) My little bump has come out to play since Tuesday and I'm loving having a little something now. Its still super tiny so even though I'm getting close to 19 weeks you'd never know I was pregnant if I didn't tell. I like that for work and stuff but its nice to have the little bump for home. The smitten-ometer is in full flight in our house too.
    Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Anti D is grand, I wasn't waiting long to have it done (rotunda) wasn't sore. I had to wait 20 mins after to make sure I didn't have a reaction.
    They gave it in my bum if I remember correctly! Flu jab was worse my arm was sore after that!

Does everyone need an Anti D injection and why?
    I've had it a number of times (6 I think), always in my arm (holles st.). It's a bit sore while being injected as it comes out of the fridge, but it's nothing major and I had no after effects apart from a slightly sore arm - just like any injection. I've never had to wait around afterwards but the first time I every got it I was an inpatient so maybe they know I don't react? Anyway, it's nothing at all to worry about!

I'm a bit concerned about getting injections into my arm these days. I had vaccinations for travelling to Africa 2 years ago and had massive problems with frozen shoulder in both shoulders afterwards. It was very painful and uncomfortable and lasted for months. I did get my top up for the Hepatitis vaccine into my bum and had a milder reaction there that lasted for only a few weeks.
    I imagine if I do require an Anti D then they'll allow me have it injected into the buttock rather than the arm when I explain the reason:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Anti D is only needed of you have a rheuses negative blood type, so you probably won't need it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

i had my anti d injection last week boaring wait but not that sore,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You'd know by now if you needed it Penny, only given to Mummy's who are rhesus negative so your blood group must be rhesus + I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

wife is having her 20 week scan on Wednesday, we got a call yesterday saying the consultant has declined the anolomy scan as he doesnt think we need it even thought the mid wife recomended it due to first pregnancy and age, so what im wondering is will there be any scan ?
    we are going to the cumh

wife is having her 20 week scan on Wednesday, we got a call yesterday saying the consultant has declined the anolomy scan as he doesnt think we need it even thought the mid wife recomended it due to first pregnancy and age, so what im wondering is will there be any scan ?
    we are going to the cumh

Is the scan booked with the ultrasound dept? I'm attending the Coombe and have to book the appointments myself and I pay for them directly. The Consultant hasn't a thing to do with them as far as I can tell.
    If you're not going to get one in CUMH you can always book one with a private scanning centre.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Merkin wrote: »
    By the way, I am booked in for my Anti-D injection next Thursday, have any of you ladies had this and what should I expect?

I tripped twice in the last trimester, so the first time I got the Anti-D. Needle in the butt and its grand. did you trip or is it just given to all RH- women there?

The second time, I mentioned that I'd had the Anti-D, so they decided to run a Klein-Harr blood test. What this does is check your blood for foetal blood cells so that would indicate if baby's blood crossed the placenta and if you subsequently began to develop antibodies. I was grand after that too.

Turns out lil monkey was RH Neg anyway in the end. But its good to be sure.

Penny, Anti-D is given to pregnant women who are Rhesus Negative blood group. A baby can have a different blood group to Mother and if the mother is RH- a bruise or fall in a pregnancy can cause her blood to develop antibodies that may be detrimental to the next pregnancy she may have. If you were RH-, the midwives at your antenatal would have talked to you at length and probably given you leaflets about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭thebomb

Hey guys iam 21 weeks pregnant with my first, had a scan at 12 week's and told not getting another one till the 30th of august, sorry if this is a silly question but with it being my first have plenty of questions.... I've not felt any movement or baby kick yet is that normal ? And has anyone else suffered with really bad headaches ? Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks Sarah

Hey Neyite! No falls thank goodness, Anti D is given in the first pregnancy on a prophylactic basis at between 28-34 weeks here and then in all subsequent pregnancies as standard. I have to say, I'm just super impressed with the NHS. Got a call from a senior midwife today who I really like to see how I am etc and she has offered to come round to Chez Merkin when I'm 34-35 Weeks pregnant and do a private ante natal one on one class with us! How lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Well jealous of the NHS midwifery system :)

The level of care is phenomenal, feel very lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

They're being very skimpy with the pain meds today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Is the scan booked with the ultrasound dept? I'm attending the Coombe and have to book the appointments myself and I pay for them directly. The Consultant hasn't a thing to do with them as far as I can tell.
    If you're not going to get one in CUMH you can always book one with a private scanning centre.
    The appointment is with Cumh team antenatal clinic, has a consultants name on is and speciality is obstetrics
    And it says it may take 2-3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

January wrote: »
    They're being very skimpy with the pain meds today :(

Meanies... start shouting.. :D

cbyrd wrote: »
    Meanies... start shouting.. :D

Had to ask three times and then they tried to fob me off with Panadol. :eek: I got the good stuff in the end. Stuck here til tomorrow. Miss my girls so much, can't wait to get us home.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

Firestarter, when I had my 20 week appt in CUMH, I met the midwife who checked urine, b.p. weight and checked about any problems, worries etc. then had to see one of the medics, they gave me a quick mini scan to make sure everything was okay and went off to have bloods done. It took about 2 hours in all. My advice is the earlier you're there, the quicker you're seen. If your very concerned and want to have a private anomaly scan there are a few places that do them in Cork. My pregnancy is classed low risk so I can attend the midwife led clinics which is what I've done. You can ask the about them at your 20 week appt. They're held in a variety of places. I've found them great and a lot less busy than the Cumh

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

thebomb wrote: »
    Hey guys iam 21 weeks pregnant with my first, had a scan at 12 week's and told not getting another one till the 30th of august, sorry if this is a silly question but with it being my first have plenty of questions.... I've not felt any movement or baby kick yet is that normal ? And has anyone else suffered with really bad headaches ? Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks Sarah
    21 weeks is still early to feel a lot of movement baby is still tiny now!
    Some woman only begin to feel movement later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Thanks Sarah

Every hospital seems different with scans, that does seem like a big gap but you could always talk to the midwife about it and also decide if you want the anomaly scan around 20 weeks yourself.

At 21 weeks I don't think I felt anything either and then when I did it was like a feeling of gas almost that didn't even feel like a baby so don't worry! When you get to where I am at 34 weeks they'll be kicking the life out of you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

At 25 weeks now & have been feeling movement for a couple of weeks now.

Pretty sure the guy is in the breach position, feels so odd kicking down towards my bladder.

Hopefully he turns before getting much bigger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

. I've not felt any movement or baby kick yet is that normal ?

I've heard that depending on where the placenta is it can make it harder to feel the little kicks early on, like it acts like an extra cushion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Anyone help.. My girlfriend had her first scan at 18 weeks, the sonograph looked like it was a boy.. The nurse said it's possibly a boy.. How likely is it to be true at that stage? She's 28 weeks now, and her next appointment she'll be 30! So we'll get another look and know for definite.. Just wondering should we be waiting or just continue buying boy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Anyone help.. My girlfriend had her first scan at 18 weeks, the sonograph looked like it was a boy.. The nurse said it's possibly a boy.. How likely is it to be true at that stage? She's 28 weeks now, and her next appointment she'll be 30! So we'll get another look and know for definite.. Just wondering should we be waiting or just continue buying boy stuff

I'd say the initial assessment will probably be true.

If the sonographer got a good angle, the penis & testis would have been visible (I think).

There will be no mistaking them at 30 weeks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

I'd say the initial assessment will probably be true.

If the sonographer got a good angle, the penis & testis would have been visible (I think).

There will be no mistaking them at 30 weeks though!
    All she saw was a wee little round thing... Which could I discovered later form a vagina in a girl.. so I'm pretty confused v.v we'll just have to wait c:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Hmmm at our scan she was pretty definite that it was a boy (and it turns out she was right), even so I bought mainly unisex clothes before he was born. I've heard quite a few stories of them getting it wrong, you just won't know for certain until the baby arrives.

Having said that if you get it confirmed in a second scan, I'd say it's unlikely to be misinterpreted twice. Not impossible though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

we are going to the cumh

Bullsh1t. I had a textbook pregnancy on my first but the anomaly scan showed up a low lying placenta which needed monitoring and a couple of other things. Insist on one. I know others who didn't get one and their babies were born with difficulties that should have been picked up on. Scans are necessary diagnostic tools.

I'd insist on an anatomy scan.

I really think their should be a campaign launched so that every woman is offered an anatomy scan between 18-22 weeks regardless of their age or whether they are low risk or not. It should not be something to be scrimped on.

Our baby was diagnosed with a little cleft lip (and now palate) at his 20-week anomaly scan and the level of care subsequent to diagnosis has been amazing and has really armed us with all the information and resources needed to give bubba the best start when he arrives in July. I couldn't comprehend what it would be like not having had the diagnosis and then having the shock of seeing our little man arrive with a little facial defect, it would be shocking beyond belief.

An anomaly scan is a very very basic expectation IMHO and if there are other mitigating factors that put you at higher risk then all the more reason. I'd be stamping feet in this instance and insisting upon it, the reasons given for not allowing it are both spurious and archaic and I find it infuriating. Have it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

In Cork it really does seem to depend on who you get on the day. The anatomy scan is not done as a rule but you may get a scan at your 20 week appointment. I know two people who had to fight tooth and nail to get it, both had pretty serious conditions in the family that could be picked up in the scan. Thankfully both were fine but they wanted to be prepared for it if necessary. The lack of consistency about scans was part of the reason I went private. Anyone I know who went public in Cork was delighted with the level of care though.

• Advertisement

My query for today relates to holidays and the idea of going away. Our little one is due in October (7th currently but this is a moveable feast) and myself and my husband were thinking of a week away with the baby after Christmas.
    My husband doesn't get a lot of holidays where he works and will be taking 2 weeks after the little one arrives. However, his office closes over the Christmas holidays and he'll be off from Christmas Eve until January 2nd and these days aren't taken out of his allowance which is great. I suggested we go to the Canaries for a week after Christmas if we can and the idea has really taken our fancy.
    Are we totally nuts? The baby will be 11/12 weeks old at that stage and as this is my first I don't know if we're being silly to think that we can do this. We wouldn't be after anything more than a quiet break so the early nights and mornings won't be a problem.

Advertisement