Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's very hard to know about holidays... With my first, we took a week away in portugal when she was 16 weeks old and it was easy peasy. She was a straightforward baby though. Normal weight, good feeder, slept well, fell into a routine very early. 12 weeks would have been fine with her.

I have a ~9 week old now who is a different kettle of fish, she is refluxy, isn't a great feeder (because she brings a lot of it up) and as a result doesn't sleep as well. We are still feeding her every 3 hours. A holiday with this baby would be a different undertaking with the feeds being much more frequent and the amount of laundry. No way I would bring her near a poolside for example. Just too much baby puke.

I'd say play it by ear and see how the baby is when he/she arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

pwurple wrote: »
    It's very hard to know about holidays... With my first, we took a week away in portugal when she was 16 weeks old and it was easy peasy. She was a straightforward baby though. Normal weight, good feeder, slept well, fell into a routine very early. 12 weeks would have been fine with her.

I have a ~9 week old now who is a different kettle of fish, she is refluxy, isn't a great feeder (because she brings a lot of it up) and as a result doesn't sleep as well. We are still feeding her every 3 hours. A holiday with this baby would be a different undertaking with the feeds being much more frequent and the amount of laundry. No way I would bring her near a poolside for example. Just too much baby puke.

I'd say play it by ear and see how the baby is when he/she arrives.

I think you're right. We can hold onto the idea and see what things are like closer to the time.
    I have a new concern today and it's bothering me quite a bit.
    Myself and my husband have been looking at houses to move to- currently we live in a 3 bed semi detached which will be fine with one baby but our dream I so have a nice family home that is detached and ideally on its own.
    I recognise that we are very lucky in this respect.
    We found a smaller house in a nice location and the plan would be to build a big extension onto the house and live there for the long term. My worry is are we mad to move from a house that is perfectly fine right now to a smaller one, apply for planning to extend (get it first time or maybe not) and live with a small baby in a building site or move in my parents while the building work is going on.
    Would the stress of this be worth it or should we just relax, press pause on that part of our live for now and enjoy this first pregnancy and the baby when it arrive?
    What would you ladies do? Am I being a silly worrier who is scared to do this big thing or am I being sensible by putting the pregnancy and so myself first?
    I'd really appreciate any advice or personal experiences any of you may have had in this regard.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

If it were me (and I'm in a not dissimilar position!!) I'd wait. Having my first baby is an experience that will only happen once and I want to cherish every second of it. Anything that potentially gets in the way of me enjoying it can wait, and top of that list is moving home!! There will always be other houses, there will never be another first born :)

We have no nursery, we're in a two bed apartment, we won't have room for a lot of the things we'd like to have that fit with the image we had in our minds eye of what having baby number one would be like, we've no garden BUT we have plenty to make do. In a few months when we've settled into the role of parents then we can look at making the big move, but for now all our energy is going to welcoming the newest addition of our family.

I do understand the pressure of house buying, the fear of seeing something nice and worrying that if you don't get it now you'll regret it, but - and again this is personally for us - we've made the choice to just take it one step at a time. We're cash buyers with a healthy pot to draw from and still the process has been unfruitful for over a year, so we had to decide to put the house on hold so we could concentrate on our family.

If you're good at adapting to change you may well be fine with a big move, you'll know yourself what's best for you.

Jerrica wrote: »
    If it were me (and I'm in a not dissimilar position!!) I'd wait. Having my first baby is an experience that will only happen once and I want to cherish every second of it. Anything that potentially gets in the way of me enjoying it can wait, and top of that list is moving home!! There will always be other houses, there will never be another first born :)

We have no nursery, we're in a two bed apartment, we won't have room for a lot of the things we'd like to have that fit with the image we had in our minds eye of what having baby number one would be like, we've no garden BUT we have plenty to make do. In a few months when we've settled into the role of parents then we can look at making the big move, but for now all our energy is going to welcoming the newest addition of our family.

I do understand the pressure of house buying, the fear of seeing something nice and worrying that if you don't get it now you'll regret it, but - and again this is personally for us - we've made the choice to just take it one step at a time. We're cash buyers with a healthy pot to draw from and still the process has been unfruitful for over a year, so we had to decide to put the house on hold so we could concentrate on our family.

If you're good at adapting to change you may well be fine with a big move, you'll know yourself what's best for you.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. It is really good to be able to chat about these things with people in the same position.
    I agree with you re: you only get to have your first pregnancy once and so far we've really been enjoying the exciting news and it's been brilliant. I'd hate for that to get shoved out of the way with selling and mortgage approval etc. I think if the house we were looking at was ready to move into then it would be a different story but it won't be and it will take ages to get to a stage that I'd like it be at and in the mix of that will come along our little baby.
    Add into the mix my husband will be in the second year of his MSc next year too just when the little one arrives.
    I discussed this with my husband last night and he was great about it yet is concerned that we'll never move at this rate and I understand that too. I really do think that the baby comes first though.
    Sometimes I feel like a spoiled brat when I think about us feeling sorry for ourselves by not moving, it's such a first world problem compared to the dreadful situations that so many women find themselves in all over the world and when you think of those poor girls in Nigeria for example, you realise how very lucky you are don't you?

We are incredibly lucky but it's all relative at the same time, and your concerns are just as valid as anyone elses :)

• Advertisement

We are incredibly lucky but it's all relative at the same time, and your concerns are just as valid as anyone elses :)

Of course you're right (yet again, twice this morning and its not even midday yet;)). I'm trying to focus on the good things in my life and appreciate them for what they are. Sometimes I think we can all focus on the next move, the next thing to do and get caught up in that and before you know where you are the time to stop and enjoy the moment has passed. I suppose its a bit like stopping to smell the roses while you can isn't it?
    Life can throw enough bad stuff at you so when things are good I have decided to appreciate them for what they are. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Stooped question alert!

For those mums who have given birth already (or indeed anyone who has been an in-patient), do I only need pyjamas/nighties for hospital? Or do some people actually get dressed into clothes during the day??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Stooped question alert!

For those mums who have given birth already (or indeed anyone who has been an in-patient), do I only need pyjamas/nighties for hospital? Or do some people actually get dressed into clothes during the day??

I was only there for a few hours but everyone I saw had pjs on, the people who had proper clothes on were going home! I went home in my pjs :)

Did any of you ever think you'd be spending so much time in the bathroom:eek: At the very start I was peeing like a racehorse and that lessened thankfully.
    I am 18+4 today and my bump is starting to make a little gentle appearance at long last. That happened on Tuesday and I've been peeing like a racehorse once again. There has been a lot of stretching over the last week or so too so the little one must be going through a growth spurt or something and more pressure is on my bladder as a result.
    I have also been waking in the morning absolutely starving too and have been having two breakfasts over the last two days. I'm like a Hobbit. :eek:
    I wake at 4 or 5am so hungry you'd swear I hadn't eaten in a week, get up, bleery eyed looking enviously at my husband who is still sound asleep, go downstairs and have two Wheetabix - you can eat them without too much effort and chewing so no need to wake up fully.
    Back to bed with me then until I get to my proper getting up time and after getting ready for work have my porridge with nuts and seeds.
    I still haven't put any of the weight I lost at the start back on though and I'm not sure if that is something that I should be concerned about. The little one seems to be coming along fine, as I said the bump has started to come out and my appetite is increasing so I'm sure I'll be clocking up the lbs soon enough. According to the NHS wedbsite (which bases your recommended weight gain based on your pre pregnancy weight and whether you're carrying more than one baby) anything from 25-35lbs (11-16kg) is a decent weight gain. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Did any of you ever think you'd be spending so much time in the bathroom:eek: At the very start I was peeing like a racehorse and that lessened thankfully.
    I am 18+4 today and my bump is starting to make a little gentle appearance at long last. That happened on Tuesday and I've been peeing like a racehorse once again. There has been a lot of stretching over the last week or so too so the little one must be going through a growth spurt or something and more pressure is on my bladder as a result.
    I have also been waking in the morning absolutely starving too and have been having two breakfasts over the last two days. I'm like a Hobbit. :eek:
    I wake at 4 or 5am so hungry you'd swear I hadn't eaten in a week, get up, bleery eyed looking enviously at my husband who is still sound asleep, go downstairs and have two Wheetabix - you can eat them without too much effort and chewing so no need to wake up fully.
    Back to bed with me then until I get to my proper getting up time and after getting ready for work have my porridge with nuts and seeds.
    I still haven't put any of the weight I lost at the start back on though and I'm not sure if that is something that I should be concerned about. The little one seems to be coming along fine, as I said the bump has started to come out and my appetite is increasing so I'm sure I'll be clocking up the lbs soon enough. According to the NHS wedbsite (which bases your recommended weight gain based on your pre pregnancy weight and whether you're carrying more than one baby) anything from 25-35lbs (11-16kg) is a decent weight gain. :confused:

I lost a few pounds at the start and didn't start regaining until 20/21 weeks. 30 weeks now and I've gained 5kg/12lb. Doctors weren't in the slightest bit concerned about slow weight gain.

• Advertisement

I lost a few pounds at the start and didn't start regaining until 20/21 weeks. 30 weeks now and I've gained 5kg/12lb. Doctors weren't in the slightest bit concerned about slow weight gain.

The doctors haven't said a thing, actually they're super happy with everything so far. Its just me wondering about it I suppose.
    My clothes are starting to get tight and a little uncomfortable now so I'd say the weight will start to go on soon.
    I'm not complaining:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Stooped question alert!

Some people changed into clothes during the day, personally I didn't bother... PJ's all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Sweet divine merciful Jesus and all that is holy. I braved having my fanjita waxed today and I may need counselling after it.

I've always gone for my Hollywood religiously every six weeks or so but since being pregnant I've taken up a bit of lady garden maintenance myself, mainly trimming and a little bit of light topiary. However, since bump is now genuinely massive I've been unable to properly access all my lady bits and it honestly looked like I'd one of the Jackson Five hidden in between my legs the last few weeks. So today was V-Day and I would not recommend that anyone be so remiss with their waxing and leave it so long between appointments. It took the therapist nearly an hour and at the end I was perspiring, she was perspiring and I looked like a freshly plucked guinea fowl by the end of it all......nice and smooth now thankfully but am a little traumatised!!!

Merkin wrote: »
    Sweet divine merciful Jesus and all that is holy. I braved having my fanjita waxed today and I may need counselling after it.

I've always gone for my Hollywood religiously every six weeks or so but since being pregnant I've taken up a bit of lady garden maintenance myself, mainly trimming and a little bit of light topiary. However, since bump is now genuinely massive I've been unable to properly access all my lady bits and it honestly looked like I'd one of the Jackson Five hidden in between my legs the last few weeks. So today was V-Day and I would not recommend that anyone be so remiss with their waxing and leave it so long between appointments. It took the therapist nearly an hour and at the end I was perspiring, she was perspiring and I looked like a freshly plucked guinea fowl by the end of it all......nice and smooth now thankfully but am a little traumatised!!!

I nearly burst my c section scar (I can't say stitches cos the bastards stapled me back together) laughing at that. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oh lolers don't let that happen woman! :eek: I'm beginning to see the humour in it myself now that I've got about half a tub of Sudocrem on it!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

January.. stitches???? Have you had your baby???????? :D:D:D I must have missed it, I hope all is well!

Can I ask you all when you started buying baby items? I am 20 weeks now (I can't freakin' believe I'm typing that) and people are asking me what I've bought and what buggy I'm getting etc.
    I actually haven't bought a thing, I was thinking like ...30 weeks is time enough? Am I wrong?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Isolt wrote: »
    January.. stitches???? Have you had your baby???????? :D:D:D I must have missed it, I hope all is well!

Can I ask you all when you started buying baby items? I am 20 weeks now (I can't freakin' believe I'm typing that) and people are asking me what I've bought and what buggy I'm getting etc.
    I actually haven't bought a thing, I was thinking like ...30 weeks is time enough? Am I wrong?

It depends. You may get very heavy and trawling around the shops in the last 10 weeks might be the very idea of hell for you. And depending on what you want to buy, some shops have a long wait time for items on order. I think I was about 25 or so weeks because we used himself's January bonus to get the more expensive items. No harm to do your research now about what you want though. Get thee to pintrest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Neyite wrote: »
    It depends. You may get very heavy and trawling around the shops in the last 10 weeks might be the very idea of hell for you. And depending on what you want to buy, some shops have a long wait time for items on order. I think I was about 25 or so weeks because we used himself's January bonus to get the more expensive items. No harm to do your research now about what you want though. Get thee to pintrest :)

+!! I started looking at stuff seriously about the 6mth mark, had everything (more or less) bought and my bag packed by 34 weeks. My OH wanted to go out and buy everything when I was about 38 weeks.......

.....I had him at 36 weeks!

Oooh interesting, thank you mamas! I will start buying the essentials in another month or so (the big things) to eliminate any last minute rushing. All the other stuff will be easily got though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Once we got the big anomaly scan I picked my travel system. I had hyperemesis so was pretty much bed bound from 20something weeks, that I ended up buying everything online and got it delivered to my house. We collected travel system from the shop at maybe 30 weeks (I wanted it before dec in case of weather disruptions). By the time he arrived I had everything.

• Advertisement

Ha ha yeah I had my little boy by emergency c section on the 1st of May :) there's a pic of him in the April 2014 thread.

On the shopping anytime is a good time. Take your time and shop around.

January wrote: »
    Ha ha yeah I had my little boy by emergency c section on the 1st of May :) there's a pic of him in the April 2014 thread.

On the shopping anytime is a good time. Take your time and shop around.

Congratulations January. I hope you're healing well after the surgery and your little girls are delighted with their new brother.

Thanks :) I'm still a bit sore and practically paranoid about my wound getting infected so hopping in the shower as much as I can and hosing it down!

I know when it gets sore that I'm doing to much and have to slow down.

I knew once I got hooked up to the oxytocin drip I was heading for c section but wanted to give myself a chance at another natural birth.

Thankfully little man is doing well, he did spike a temperature after birth and needed antibiotics and bloods taken as a precaution but he was fine :)

Glad to hear baby is doing well! Hopefully you'll be all healed up soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Congrats January!

I'm in my 20th week today. 19+o today and a definite and constant little bump is there. I've been dying to feel the baby move and I think I just did but can't be 100% sure.
    I was lying down on my bed watching stuff on the iPad when I felt a gentle popping on the right hand side of the bump. Thinking it was a peculiar feeling I put my hand there and then felt it two and half times again in the exact same place. Then I rushed downstairs to tell my husband and it's stopped. Stupid excitement.
    There is still something going on on the right side of the abdomen at the bump but it's a little like popping or gentle tapping rather than the much talked about flutters.
    Have I imagined feeling the baby or just totally mistaken some other bodily thing that I've never felt before?

It was movement Penny :) You'll probably get a few more of those "was it....?" moments but then you'll feel it for sure and it's the most wonderful thing! In another week or so your partner will be able to feel it too, and then a couple of weeks after that you'll start to SEE the movement and that's just glorious!! I spend a lot of my day watching my tummy ripple back and forth, and she's well able to kick the remote off my belly :D

It was movement Penny :) You'll probably get a few more of those "was it....?" moments but then you'll feel it for sure and it's the most wonderful thing! In another week or so your partner will be able to feel it too, and then a couple of weeks after that you'll start to SEE the movement and that's just glorious!! I spend a lot of my day watching my tummy ripple back and forth, and she's well able to kick the remote off my belly :D

Yazers! I really want to feel it again now! I'm sure in about 10 weeks I'll be asking / demanding that the little one give me a break from moving but for now I love it. I really am looking forward to my husband being able to feel the baby too. I think it must be somewhat isolating for them, we get the rough stuff for sure with the nausea etc but it also means we get to "feel" the pregnancy and baby we're nurturing and until movement gets pronounced or a bump appears they don't get anything.

Haha, I was the very same, I remember feeling definite movement for the first time sitting on the train, the guy beside me must have thought I was day release from the asylum I was grinning so hard :D No matter how sore it gets if you enjoy the movement you won't mind a jot.

And you're so right, I love lying in bed with my husband's hand on my belly, it makes me feel more connected to him and the baby when we both share it. You will absolutely adore it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Ah the first little kicks are lovely, I've heard it described as like popcorn popping in your stomach which was exactly how it felt at the start! For the first bit my fiance couldn't feel the kicks when I could but that all changed and now he can lay his head on my tummy and the little man kicks him in the head:D

Advertisement