Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

yop wrote: »
    I still wore out from last year, the thought of another semi/Ai final will kill me yet! :D

But the thought of winning it .......it's the hope that kills ya :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

km79 wrote: »
    But the thought of winning it .......it's the hope that kills ya :D

That or the blinding will that one day it will happen :D Course it will happen, otherwise I may as well measure up the casket! :)

I just hope my Dad and his mate, both clicking 70 that I now transport to every cock fight in a Mayo jersey see a senior mens AI final. I will happily retire then.... until the following year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

There are 2,000 Mayo fans heading over.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=214744

People can say what they want about Mayo but we're probably the best supported team in the country.

One of the reasons they are charging season ticket holders $15 instead of free as it was supposed to have been. Would loose out on megga bucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

km79 wrote: »
    Not everyone can get time off or afford to go to new York......

I understand that. But if someone is able and willing to make that sort of financial and time commitment to support their county, I think that it should be rewarded come hammer time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That's brilliant. Fair play. If Mayo make it to the All Ireland final, something should definitely be done to make sure that the fans who made the trip to NY get tickets to it.

The majority travelling will be season ticket holders who have been looking forward to the trip and saving for quite a while. Anyone who doesn't have a season ticket and is travelling would want to get their priorities in order!

I'd also have at more than 2,000. I know a few flying in from Canada and other parts. There's also plenty of Mayo folk already there.

It's gonna be some party, Times square will be like Belmullet on Acid :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fair play to all who are heading to the Big Apple,that's what I call real support.Enjoy!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

seligehgit wrote: »
    Fair play to all who are heading to the Big Apple,that's what I call real support.Enjoy!

I wouldn't necessarily say that now, yes fair play, but I would call those who stand in the sh*(!Te weather during an FBD match more real than those who wouldn't be seen at an FBD match but have a few k euros to spend to be able to travel to NY.

I wouldn't necessarily say that now, yes fair play, but I would call those who stand in the sh*(!Te weather during an FBD match more real than those who wouldn't be seen at an FBD match but have a few k euros to spend to be able to travel to NY.

Sorry Yop I certainly was'nt trying to insinuate that supporters who tog out in the unglamorous surroundings of the FBD league in the heart of the winter and the national league are not anything other than first class supporters.

I was posting in reference to the indication that a lot of season ticket holders appear to be heading over,they are quite fortunate to have a few bob for such expeditions.Obviously there are holidaymakers who planning to simply take the game in on their travels.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Sorry Yop I certainly was'nt trying to insinuate that supporters who tog out in the unglamorous surroundings of the FBD league in the heart of the winter and the national league are not anything other than first class supporters.

I was posting in reference to the indication that a lot of season ticket holders appear to be heading over,they are quite fortunate to have a few bob for such expeditions.Obviously there are holidaymakers who planning to simply take the game in on their travels.

I know buck, it would be an incredible experience, It would be something I would love to do for my Dad but no chance as its too much bobs.

If I win the lotto I will bring the few regular fans on this thread over for a Mayo game :D, and my missus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

I see that Mayo are gone out in the betting with P Power from joint second favourites with Cork to 3rd favourites - Cork are 11/2 and Mayo 6/1. I presume that it's down to Derry's poor showing v Dublin and taking regard of Mayo's loss to Derry.

I fail to see how Cork can be rated ahead of Mayo - Cork have lost a lot of players including our best player from last season - Ciaran Sheehan to AFL. We were very poor in the 2nd half v Dublin as were Mayo v Derry. We have huge issues at MF and in the FB line. Mayo and Cork are scheduled to meet in the AI Semi and I would not hold out much hope for a Cork win. Mayo hammered Cork in the league and the scoreboard only became respectable as Mayo made changes and eased up in the last quarter.

I'd say any Mayo Supporter at that league game would have few concerns about facing Cork in the c/ship.

I think Horan will use this to futher motivate the players. There seems to be few capable of challenging Dublin and Mayo look by far the most likely to me. What do Mayo Supporters think ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The majority travelling will be season ticket holders who have been looking forward to the trip and saving for quite a while. Anyone who doesn't have a season ticket and is travelling would want to get their priorities in order!

Yep, I'd agree with that. But these days, not everyone works a 9-5 Monday to Friday job, where they always have weekends off to go to games. I know a lot of people who work in the hotel/hospitality business. They go to as many games as they can, but they do not invest in a season ticket, as they don't know if they will have the day of the game off, until a few days before hand. If someone like that gave up some of their annual leave and a boat load of cash to attend one of their counties games on another continent, I'd love to see that level of commitment rewarded in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I'd say any Mayo Supporter at that league game would have few concerns about facing Cork in the c/ship.

Cork were already basically through and Mayo had to win that game, with that in mind I don't think you could judge a Championship meeting on that game.
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yep, I'd agree with that. But these days, not everyone works a 9-5 Monday to Friday job, where they always have weekends off to go to games. I know a lot of people who work in the hotel/hospitality business. They go to as many games as they can, but they do not invest in a season ticket, as they don't know if they will have the day of the game off, until a few days before hand. If someone like that gave up some of their annual leave and a boat load of cash to attend one of their counties games on another continent, I'd love to see that level of commitment rewarded in some way.

That's a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

are the rumours true? is ciaran mcdonald making a return to the inter co scene? ye could do with a bit of guile and finesse in the forwards, supose he is a bottler tho jus like the rest of the fools ye have playin football for ye. **** the pants when ye see sight of an all ireland.

The rumours are true Tricky. He played a friendly behind closed doors and got 7-15 from his new position corner back. Majestic it was from what I hear. All were taken off his right peg. You are dead right. We are all bottlers here in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Gael85

statto25 wrote: »
    The rumours are true Tricky. He played a friendly behind closed doors and got 7-15 from his new position corner back. Majestic it was from what I hear. All were taken off his right peg. You are dead right. We are all bottlers here in Mayo.

and he got a black card after 20 minutes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The Mayo Senior Football Team to face New York this Sunday 4th May at 2.30p.m. in Gaelic Park is as follows:
    1) Robbie Hennelly - Breaffy
    2) Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    3) Kevin Keane - Westport
    4) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5) Lee Keegan - Westport
    6) Colm Boyle - Davitts
    7) Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    8) Jason Gibbons - Ballintubber
    9) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    10) Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
    11) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    12) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    13) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    14) Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen (Captain)
    15) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

Starting 15 for NY has been announced

5) Lee Keegan - Westport
    6) Colm Boyle - Davitts

Higgins back in the corner thank god. I'd rather see McLoughlin at 10 and some else in the corner instead of DOC.

Edit: Damn you Wirelessdude!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Caff still carrying an injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

statto25 wrote: »
    Starting 15 for NY has been announced

5) Lee Keegan - Westport
    6) Colm Boyle - Davitts

Higgins back in the corner thank god. I'd rather see McLoughlin at 10 and some else in the corner instead of DOC.

Edit: Damn you Wirelessdude!
    have to agree with that.

Strong team, taking no chances. Can see a lot of scoring runs starting from the left hand side of the pitch.

Fantastic to see Keith Higgins back at corner back.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Looks like still experimenting. This is last chance to try some new things e.g. SOS on the 40

Doc in from no where. Surprised Adam Gallagher didn't get another chance there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

Where is freeman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Barry Moran won't feature, broke the nose during the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Andy at FF, interesting bit despite all the changes we're not going to learn a whole lot about the team this weekend. Focus seems to be all on Donegal and all the craic with players leaving the panel

Interesting I suppose, last chance saloon for Kev Keane, its about the only place he can play where he MIGHT not get caught out for pace, but NY shouldn't test him that much.
    Interesting to see Mickey Sweeney not in there, from what I have seen of DOC I think Sweeney is well ahead, presuming Freeman is injured.

THANK GOD this Higgins rubbish has come to an end, why it was continued with was beyond me, but its ended now. SOS in at centre half is interesting.

NY have a couple of decent players, can't say I know much more about them

Safe journey to those off here going. Bring us back a stick of rock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

The Mayo Senior Football Team to face New York this Sunday 4th May at 2.30p.m. in Gaelic Park is as follows:
    5) Lee Keegan - Westport
    6) Colm Boyle - Davitts

As stated great to see KH back in the corner where he belongs. I am undecided as to whether AOS or SOS is better in number 11 spot. For me the success of having one of these two guys on the 40 is that Andy must stay in the box as FF and not come roaming back to midfield to be a playmaker.
    Its a shame we wasted 8-9 league games with KH at 11 where he never belonged. Now we are expecting SOS to have a great game in his first competitive outing as number 11 when this should have been tested in the Derry semi final game. If it goes wrong and SOS is not effective in this position, do we face into Ros in the Hyde not knowing what our best half forward line is :eek:
    Overall good to see a strong team coming out.

+1 on the Kevin Keane being in the last chance saloon. Nice guy and all that but I just feel he does not have the what it takes to be a killer FB at inter-county level.

Overall I am hoping to see a real ruthless streak from the Mayo team. Aside from Galway and Donegal last year and a small bit against Cork in the league this year that determination to kill a team off and bury them has been non existent. I also want out half backs to leave the scoring to the half forwards.... we know what you can do no 5, 6 + 7...give Numbers 10-15 a chance for a while :D:D

Anyone want to predict the score or winning margin, for either team! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Ascii wrote: »
    As stated great to see KH back in the corner where he belongs. I am undecided as to whether AOS or SOS is better in number 11 spot. For me the success of having one of these two guys on the 40 is that Andy must stay in the box as FF and not come roaming back to midfield to be a playmaker.
    Its a shame we wasted 8-9 league games with KH at 11 where he never belonged. Now we are expecting SOS to have a great game in his first competitive outing as number 11 when this should have been tested in the Derry semi final game. If it goes wrong and SOS is not effective in this position, do we face into Ros in the Hyde not knowing what our best half forward line is :eek:
    Overall good to see a strong team coming out.

+1 on the Kevin Keane being in the last chance saloon. Nice guy and all that but I just feel he does not have the what it takes to be a killer FB at inter-county level.

Overall I am hoping to see a real ruthless streak from the Mayo team. Aside from Galway and Donegal last year and a small bit against Cork in the league this year that determination to kill a team off and bury them has been non existent. I also want out half backs to leave the scoring to the half forwards.... we know what you can do no 5, 6 + 7...give Numbers 10-15 a chance for a while :D:D

SOS played CF before against Longford in 2010...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Anyone want to predict the score or winning margin, for either team! :D

considering leitrim and sligo beat them by 24 points last two years anything less than 20 point mayo win would be a huge shock. new york are a shadow of the team they were in 2009-11

mayo taking no chances either by naming a super-strong team.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Will the Game be on TV on Sunday???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

royster999 wrote: »
    SOS played CF before against Longford in 2010...

I stand to be corrected but was he names at MF with Harte got one point from play. AOS played CF

Needless to say we know what that game resulted in....Johnno being able to do his Dail job 5 days a week :D:D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement