Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Inflamation of the knee.Was talking to a clubman of alan's this week

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

km79 wrote: »
    Has anything been heard on Freeman's omission ? The silence is worrying

Knee injury according to mid west. Also Adam Gallagher not amongst the subs is surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,190 ✭✭✭✭km79

Inflamation of the knee.Was talking to a clubman of alan's this week

Short term? It always worries me when a big player gets an injury and nothing is reported on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

km79 wrote: »
    Short term? It always worries me when a big player gets an injury and nothing is reported on it!

According to mid west, its a knee injury and he will be out for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Keep it tighter New York

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

10-2 to Mayo not out of 2nd gear yet. New York playing with 13 back trying not to concede a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

4 heifers on the road near Tibohan. Not cows, not cattle, definitely were heifers.
    AOS centre forward interesting. JDoc seems very quiet.
    Adam Gallagher not travelling. I dunno, dont matches count more than training. Dillon travelled in his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

COC looking like a decent shout already to be top scorer for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I could see Cillian O'Connor scoring another hat-trick of goals on Sunday New York will be total overpowered in midfield and they won't be able to cope with the Mayo runners from the half back line or the intensity. New York might sneak in for a late goal when the bench is cleared though.

New York 1-7 Mayo 4-18

Close prediction that ;)

Close prediction that ;)

Wow!!! Very close .you got 4 18 to 8 scores right :-)

• Advertisement

Will there be highlights of the game anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

seanhynes wrote: »
    Will there be highlights of the game anywhere

Highlights on TG4 tomorrow evening at 20:15

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A win is a win. We were always onto a loser in some people eyes but winning is a habit. It's done and dusted. Wait for the next test now.

yop wrote: »
    A win is a win. We were always onto a loser in some people eyes but winning is a habit. It's done and dusted. Wait for the next test now.

Next test in three months to be realistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Just back in Rooney's now from the match :-p

Mayo never really got out of 2nd gear. NY tried to disrupt Mayo by putting everyone behind the ball but even so Moran and AOS found themselves alone and unmarked in the backs in the first half, the NY backs just simply weren't up to it. It was like the classic Mayo of last year with good hard tackling and a high defensive line. The backs were hardly troubled at all but Kevin Keane put in a good show and moved up the field quite regularly. Keegan and Vaughan made some good runs as usual. Midfield did seem disjointed with Aidan moving to half forward and with Gibbons and Seamus manning midfield from the second half onwards. Forwards were impressive with Varley and young Diarmuid finding the net and Andy as usual working his socks off.

It was a complete performance but honestly it's hard to gauge where we really are after playing such limited opposition. The Rossies game will be telling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Mayo never really got out of 2nd gear. NY tried to disrupt Mayo by putting everyone behind the ball but even so Moran and AOS found themselves alone and unmarked in the backs in the first half, the NY backs just simply weren't up to it. It was like the classic Mayo of last year with good hard tackling and a high defensive line. The backs were hardly troubled at all but Kevin Keane put in a good show and moved up the field quite regularly. Keegan and Vaughan made some good runs as usual. Midfield did seem disjointed with Aidan moving to half forward and with Gibbons and Seamus manning midfield from the second half onwards. Forwards were impressive with Varley and young Diarmuid finding the net and Andy as usual working his socks off.

It was a complete performance but honestly it's hard to gauge where we really are after playing such limited opposition. The Rossies game will be telling

How's the bould Eugene? loving this weekend i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Nice to see Richie Feeney got a run out at HT,heard through the grapevine that the news re Barry Moran's injuries is serious....

Wonder was that the first time three brothers have played for Mayo? Conor would need much more game time yet as he's had injuries. But good to have a few big forwards around. If he stays injury free Conor OShea might improve alot. Has decent hands from the games I'v seen him and can lay a ball off. Not a big scoretaker but could be effective.

Wonder was that the first time three brothers have played for Mayo? Conor would need much more game time yet as he's had injuries. But good to have a few big forwards around. If he stays injury free Conor OShea might improve alot. Has decent hands from the games I'v seen him and can lay a ball off. Not a big scoretaker but could be effective.
    3 Mortimers played together

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Conor O Shea has excellent potential, stand out player for the Mayo under 21s that were trounced by Roscommon in the Connaught championship.
    Like his brothers he's physically imposing, has good hands and has the requisite skill set.
    Highlights of the game on TG4 tonight, brief report on the six one news.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Conor O Shea has excellent potential, stand out player for the Mayo under 21s that were trounced by Roscommon in the Connaught championship.
    Like his brothers he's physically imposing, has good hands and has the requisite skill set.
    Highlights of the game on TG4 tonight, brief report on the six one news.
    Its about the only vulberability Dublin have that most their defence is 6 foot or under. Create mismatches on 2 or 3 smaller defenders. Maybe a better tactic for second half when pace has dropped slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,140 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    COC looking like a decent shout already to be top scorer for the championship.

No doubt someone will tell us that he has not scored from play in three championship games in a row now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Its a shame this match wasnt broadcast live on rte, its a unique event and if rte really did give a sh1te about gaa then I dont see any reason they could not do it. THere is plenty of irish lads and women who would gladly give their free time to get it organised to be broadcast home in Ireland.
    remember NY team is an all ireland team, and im guessing that everybody in ireland would know somebody in ny or even playing with one of the teams there.
    Its hard to explain but that fixture is a huge event for a lot of the irish there. EVERY YEAR, from seattle to san francisco, miami to massachusetts, they would go to this fixture.

I hope SKY can see the potential in this fixture and it can come to the screen in future. It would mean so much to many players, and their familes, extended families, and all the people who would know them.
    As an aside the mwr team sounded dead ruff!! must have been a late one the night before!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

If there was decent wifi access in gaelic park the fans could have streamed it! I have my data connection switched off, its too expensive, relying on the free wifi hotspots here to get all my updates

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

Highlights available on Tg4 player now for anyone wanting a look

kupus wrote: »
    Its a shame this match wasnt broadcast live on rte, its a unique event and if rte really did give a sh1te about gaa then I dont see any reason they could not do it. THere is plenty of irish lads and women who would gladly give their free time to get it organised to be broadcast home in Ireland.
    remember NY team is an all ireland team, and im guessing that everybody in ireland would know somebody in ny or even playing with one of the teams there.
    Its hard to explain but that fixture is a huge event for a lot of the irish there. EVERY YEAR, from seattle to san francisco, miami to massachusetts, they would go to this fixture.

I hope SKY can see the potential in this fixture and it can come to the screen in future. It would mean so much to many players, and their familes, extended families, and all the people who would know them.
    As an aside the mwr team sounded dead ruff!! must have been a late one the night before!!
    I was annoyed that the championship has started and we don't have the streaming over the internet up and running. Not only that no further details on how much it is going to cost. Any Mayo match will have a decent viewership. There are people in Mayo that are impossible to meet without them talking football. They could be stood in front of the Pope and they'd turn to ya and say "Dy'know there was a priest on the '51 team?". Big spread of Mayoness globally. Few thousand from the county went to New York for the game which is unreal.
    The MWR team were on the recovery I'd say. I actually like it when they're just kinda making it up as they go along. Commenting on how guy putting up the umbrella to protect the equipment was operating now as a "Pool boy".
    It was pretty much one way traffic out on the pitch so not that much missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I hear they were charging $30 entry fee when the team wee there, this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Mayo look decent enough odds at 6/1 for Sam. Even though Galway and Roscommon are capable of a shock, I can't see Mayo fail to win Connaught. After that, they could get a tough Northern Side in the QF and look likely to face Cork in the Semis. Cork have good forwards but a very poor MF and won't be ready to beat Mayo this year.

I'd be very surprised if Mayo don't get to the AI Final and face Dublin. Dublin look impossible to stop at this stage but a few teams will give it a decent go and Horan is smart enough to come up with the right tactics. I feel that this could be Mayo's year. I'd be a little concerned about their inner belief but most people on here seem to think that won't be a problem.

What do Mayo Fans here think of the chances for this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Think we gave gone back a tad from last years peak. Early days. Our experimentation. Of putting midfielders into cf positions should continue and keep our best backs back. Semifinal minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,140 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

kupus wrote: »

To be honest this game has zero TV appeal to anyone other than from the county that is playing NY, and even to them it’s seen as a mere formality and does not garner the same interest as a regular Connaught Championship games would.

Sure it’s a good event for anyone who is actually there, and for the GAA folk in NY who organize it and the events around it, but for TV purposes it’s like a top 4 premiership playing a League 2 team in a pre-season friendly, excuse the soccer to GAA analogy.

And with all due respect to NY , they will never be competitive, even the Letrim team that drew and lost to London hammered them last year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement