Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

kupus wrote: »

I hope SKY can see the potential in this fixture and it can come to the screen in future. It would mean so much to many players, and their familes, extended families, and all the people who would know them.
    As an aside the mwr team sounded dead ruff!! must have been a late one the night before!!

This the same Sky Sports we're talking about? They wouldnt give a **** about what it meant to players etc and as a tv sporting event, it'd be a damp squib

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

To be honest this game has zero TV appeal to anyone other than from the county that is playing NY, and even to them it’s seen as a mere formality and does not garner the same interest as a regular Connaught Championship games would.

Sure it’s a good event for anyone who is actually there, and for the GAA folk in NY who organize it and the events around it, but for TV purposes it’s like a top 4 premiership playing a League 2 team in a pre-season friendly, excuse the soccer to GAA analogy.

And with all due respect to NY , they will never be competitive, even the Letrim team that drew and lost to London hammered them last year

Late 90s New York entered the Connacht championship and i think only twice have the been competitive v Leitrim 2003 and v Galway 2010. London would beat New York comfortably if they played them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I hear they were charging $30 entry fee when the team wee there, this true?

True yes. It was an event on in the Old Castle (around the corner from his other pub, as you probably well know) after the match, all the money raised went to the players though and not the county board or himself, Eugene was at pains to emphasise this.

The County Board did have another function on in Connollys on the Saturday night which cost $20 admission, wasn't particularly happy about that one seeing as I didn't see it advertised as being a pay in but as it turned out they had stopped collecting by the time I got up there so didn't have to pay anyway.

All in all an expensive weekend for the fans but then again Manhattan isn't exactly renowned for being budget friendly!

I thought the facilities in Gaelic Park were poor enough, I heard though it's being redeveloped which is badly needed. Bit of a strange layout as well, it's not possible to spectate at all from the railway side, the park has a strange kind of lop-sided feel to it.

Agree with the posters above about it being a complete non-event TV-wise, some of the people at the ground even had left at the first drop of rain. No way it would be worth the cost of televising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Late 90s New York entered the Connacht championship and i think only twice have the been competitive v Leitrim 2003 and v Galway 2010. London would beat New York comfortably if they played them.
    They were unlucky not to beat Roscommon. Robert Moran at full forward destroyed David Casey hit the upright near the end of the game. Goal would have won it for them. Was around 2004 maybe. It was predictable Moran would have the beating of Casey, was much bigger/stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I would have watched it on tv. :D

Never liked seeing people leave the ground before the final whistle, disrespectful to the players to say the least. Worst one was the final with Kerry, droves left at half time, aful to see imo. I stayed till Kerry were presented with the cup as did the mayo team.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Oldtree wrote: »

Never liked seeing people leave the ground before the final whistle, disrespectful to the players to say the least. Worst one was the final with Kerry, droves left at half time, aful to see imo. I stayed till Kerry were presented with the cup as did the mayo team.

They were the ones who only turn up on AI final days. Make a weekend out of it and go to coppers just to tell their buddies they are GA fans.
    Wouldn't mind them ;)

I see Heffernan was ratified again as U21 manager. Thought he might get his papers after the last 2 years performance or lack of.

yop wrote: »
    They were the ones who only turn up on AI final days. Make a weekend out of it and go to coppers just to tell their buddies they are GA fans.
    Wouldn't mind them ;)

I see Heffernan was ratified again as U21 manager. Thought he might get his papers after the last 2 years performance or lack of.
    Heffernan had article in paper talking about structures etc. As Im aware those players are all on correct programs etc. Picked a shocking midfield diamond it was commented on here before we played Ros. Two of his midfield diamond were subbed by half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Oldtree wrote: »

Disgusted by those so called fans in 2004 and 2006,it was hard to stomach the beatings but I could not let our lads down by leaving before the final whistle.

Have to be honest I could'nt stomach staying for the Cup presentations,ditto 2012 and 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

seligehgit wrote: »
    Disgusted by those so called fans in 2004 and 2006,it was hard to stomach the beatings but I could not let our lads down by leaving before the final whistle.

Have to be honest I could'nt stomach staying for the Cup presentations,ditto 2012 and 2013.
    missed 2004 no ticket but stayed for the other 3 till the bitter end, its only right and sporting. Don't know how these part time "fans" get tickets for such a big day out in HQ when it was murder for me to get one. Not so this year keeping well up with the season ticket :D

I think that there should be larger quotas given to the final counties clubs.

• Advertisement

Gavin Duffy mooting about returning to GAA. Apparently he has kept his toe in the water with Salthill Knocknacarra. Twas on thescore.ie
    He was a top quality minor with great fielding ability. His skill level was good for a big minor. He'll have to prove himself at club level again but he'd be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Gavin Duffy mooting about returning to GAA. Apparently he has kept his toe in the water with Salthill Knocknacarra. Twas on thescore.ie
    He was a top quality minor with great fielding ability. His skill level was good for a big minor. He'll have to prove himself at club level again but he'd be worth considering.

Not sure about that. He's 32. He'd want to be very skilful to return to the sport after that long out of it.

He was super at picking kickouts out of the air and was decent in soloing/passing. He could lose a small bit of skill and his physique could make up for that. Not too many 15 stone Mayo men with pace. It would be next season at this stage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dont know, he will be 33 this year, not too many lads still playing intercounty at that age never mind returning to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,143 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Enough already.
    We don't need retired rugby players coming back to help this team out, not now, not next year, not ever.

There is enough GAA talent in the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Enough already.
    We don't need retired rugby players coming back to help this team out, not now, not next year, not ever.

But Duffy could be our keano...

Enough already.

His Job, rugby prevented him from playing Gaelic Football. A fit Duffy would make a contribution in a major way next year. Seen plenty of him playing up to minor. His physical attributes require him to be only at a decent level of skill. Why reject him if was available, unlikely puts himself forward but wouldn't rule out possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

His Job, rugby prevented him from playing Gaelic Football. A fit Duffy would make a contribution in a major way next year. Seen plenty of him playing up to minor. His physical attributes require him to be only at a decent level of skill. Why reject him if was available, unlikely puts himself forward but wouldn't rule out possibility.
    Waste of time, too old for the pace of a player required to lift SAM. The arse is ran out of him from the oval ball otherwise some rugby team will come in for him

Waste of time, too old for the pace of a player required to lift SAM. The arse is ran out of him from the oval ball otherwise some rugby team will come in for him

He wouldn't have to start the games though. Although we are hardly starved for midfielders, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him if he was committed and was showing well.

I heard him interviewed in a Off The Ball special before last years Final and he certainly loves Mayo GAA. All ifs and buts though for now, he might not even be playing football next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he preforms on the club scene first.

He can't be expecting to be parachuted straight onto the panel.....can he???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he preforms on the club scene first.

He can't be expecting to be parachuted straight onto the panel.....can he???

Have to agree with this..... don't see him being an addition to the current set up. Sure let him battle away in the club scene and if he can prove me wrong then so be it. You would have to feel that the attributes to being a good rubgy player (physically strong, good ball carrying skills etc) are not what we are looking for with the current set-up (pace, ball passing etc). Only when he can out run Higgins and can thread a foot pass like Ciaran Mc do I want to see him on the panel :):):). Until then he will have to be content with the Junior B club team.

You cant take away from the fact that he has been a fantastic rugby player down through the years and would make a great ambassador for the rugby game and kids going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Enough already.

What a ridiculous thing to say. if he's good enough then he should get a chance, what his rugby career has to do wit it i dont know. if he was abroad working for the past ten years and came home would you have a different attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Kalyke

What a ridiculous thing to say. if he's good enough then he should get a chance, what his rugby career has to do wit it i dont know. if he was abroad working for the past ten years and came home would you have a different attitude?
    Would we take Pearce Hanley at 32…?

Kalyke wrote: »

If he was good enough then yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Kalyke wrote: »

Leave Roscommon men out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I doubt Duffy will amount to anything at club level in Galway. Too long out of the game for inter-county if people are being realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Did the weekend club league games feature the county players ?

I does seem this CT journalist does have it in for Horan. If it is a pot of lies then its pretty shameful stuff.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/mayo-boss-james-horan-furious-over-mayo-rift-lies-30267932.html

I does seem this CT journalist does have it in for Horan. If it is a pot of lies then its pretty shameful stuff.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/mayo-boss-james-horan-furious-over-mayo-rift-lies-30267932.html

Really daft stuff, looks like certain elements in the local media won't be happy until Horan is hounded out. Interesting though what he has to say about Higgins, looks like he still intends to play him in HF when the time comes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Thing is, he's not even a proper bloody journalist. In any case, the standard of journalism being presented by the CT for publication is very, very poor. The Western People and Mayo News are far more substantive. I wouldn't buy the CT if I was never to read a word again.

Speaking of the WP interview that the Indo picked up on - it's a really interesting and honest interview. Well worth a read for anyone who hasn't seen it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement