Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

vectra wrote: »
    Exactly the problem I had with my wifes SG2
    Root the sgs2 and flash CyanogenMod

I did it and now she gets days out of her battery. She is not a heavy user but nice to have a phone with some battery life when you pick it up.
    Oh thats funny! I had it rooted with a custom rom before I gave it to her, but thought I was better off to put it back to standard for her :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Resurrecting this thread. :)
    I have an Iphone4 but I hate it compared to my wifes S2 that I installed CyanogenMod on.

Is there anywhere I could buy an S2 (new? )
    at a reasonable cost as I would gladly get rid of the ip4.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Resurrecting this thread. :)
    I have an Iphone4 but I hate it compared to my wifes S2 that I installed CyanogenMod on.

Is there anywhere I could buy an S2 (new? )
    at a reasonable cost as I would gladly get rid of the ip4.

cheers

Still a brilliant little phone Imo.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004QTBQ2C/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_cvo7sb1HPG5T7

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Do all apps run on CyanogenMod? What about backing up contacts etc, can that be done with Kies or is another program used? Thinking about getting rid of the bloated OS on my S2

Just one other question
    If I were to buy one in the UK on some network like orange or something.
    Can I still unlock it here with no sim card and install CyanogenMod?

I almost have a new one bought cheap :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Dempsey wrote: »
    Do all apps run on CyanogenMod? What about backing up contacts etc, can that be done with Kies or is another program used? Thinking about getting rid of the bloated OS on my S2

The only app I've found that doesn't run on CyanogenMod is SkyGo which won't run on a rooted phone but any others I have run without issue. Best way to backup contacts is by syncing them to your Google account, they will be restored after installing CyanogenMod

Just one other question
    If I were to buy one in the UK on some network like orange or something.
    Can I still unlock it here with no sim card and install CyanogenMod?

I almost have a new one bought cheap :P

Anyone?

Or even buy one from Amazon.de?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone?

Or even buy one from Amazon.de?

Well when I had the S2 a few years ago, all you needed was to root the device and use an app from app store like this, I don't know if that still works on the newest firmware.

Well when I had the S2 a few years ago, all you needed was to root the device and use an app from app store like this, I don't know if that still works on the newest firmware.

Well I would be rooting it anyway and installing CyanogenMod.
    So should be ok with any of them?
    cheers

RoryMac wrote: »
    The only app I've found that doesn't run on CyanogenMod is SkyGo which won't run on a rooted phone but any others I have run without issue. Best way to backup contacts is by syncing them to your Google account, they will be restored after installing CyanogenMod

Right, I'm definately sick of the samsung bloatware!

I downloaded the cm-10.1.3-i9100.rar file, is that the correct one?

How do I do sync my contacts to my google account?

• Advertisement

Right, I'm definately sick of the samsung bloatware!

I downloaded the cm-10.1.3-i9100.rar file, is that the correct one?

How do I do sync my contacts to my google account?

I'm not using CM anymore but the last time I installed it I think I used their installer which does it all in one step. Google CM installer and you'll get all the info.

To sync your contacts to your google account go into settings and scroll down to the your google account, click that and it should show your gmail address, click that and it will give you a list of options to syne, select contacts and manually sync. Might be worth checking on a PC after to see that all of your contacts are listed in gmail

EDIT you can check your contacts have synced by going to https://www.google.com/contacts/

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'm not using CM anymore but the last time I installed it I think I used their installer which does it all in one step. Google CM installer and you'll get all the info.

To sync your contacts to your google account go into settings and scroll down to the your google account, click that and it should show your gmail address, click that and it will give you a list of options to syne, select contacts and manually sync. Might be worth checking on a PC after to see that all of your contacts are listed in gmail

EDIT you can check your contacts have synced by going to https://www.google.com/contacts/

Thanks for that, its an installer in the play store?

RE Contacts

The sync contacts option is ticked but nothing is in my contacts on gmail.

Do I need to merge my phonebook contacts with my google account?

Thanks for that, its an installer in the play store?

RE Contacts

The sync contacts option is ticked but nothing is in my contacts on gmail.

Do I need to merge my phonebook contacts with my google account?

I downloaded the installer to my PC from here http://get.cm/

Yes you would have to merge your contacts with google(sorry I'm running a different ROM so don't have that option anymore so left it out earlier)

Check out here for more info http://www.android.gs/how-to-sync-contacts-on-android-with-your-gmail-account/

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭nzylo

anyone any ideas of how to re-install the OS after the the current Gingerbread OS has crashed? phone doesn't actually work due to software malfunction. I've tried going the Samsung website support root but the phone is too disabled (software) to connect to exterior devices/interactions.
    Any help or ideas please.

nzylo wrote: »
    anyone any ideas of how to re-install the OS after the the current Gingerbread OS has crashed? phone doesn't actually work due to software malfunction. I've tried going the Samsung website support root but the phone is too disabled (software) to connect to exterior devices/interactions.
    Any help or ideas please.

Use odin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Im thinking about upgrading my GS2. If I decide to sell my GS2 I will wan tto wipe it of all info and data relating to me (pictures, passwords, etc etc ) How would I go about wiping the phone as if it was a fresh buy for somebody???

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

Im thinking about upgrading my GS2. If I decide to sell my GS2 I will wan tto wipe it of all info and data relating to me (pictures, passwords, etc etc ) How would I go about wiping the phone as if it was a fresh buy for somebody???

1. On the main home screen, just select MENU
    2. Select SETTINGS, then select BACKUP AND RESET
    3. Select FACTORY DATA RESET
    4. Select RESET DEVICE
    5. If the password is required,enter it. Then confirm by selecting ERASE EVERYTHING

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

gqma0 wrote: »
    1. On the main home screen, just select MENU
    2. Select SETTINGS, then select BACKUP AND RESET
    3. Select FACTORY DATA RESET
    4. Select RESET DEVICE
    5. If the password is required,enter it. Then confirm by selecting ERASE EVERYTHING

Thanks. I assume I can do this when I have my micro sd card removed? Also, I bought the phone on a meteor contract which expired 10 months ago. How do I find out if the phone is locked to meteor or if its unlocked in order to sell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

Thanks. I assume I can do this when I have my micro sd card removed? Also, I bought the phone on a meteor contract which expired 10 months ago. How do I find out if the phone is locked to meteor or if its unlocked in order to sell it?

METEOR will provide it
    http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-%28S2%29

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hey all

I am having an issue where my phone is turning on and off. The media scanner scans, then the phone goes blank and then comes on again and the scanner scans again. Bluetooth also appears on. After 4 or 5 minutes it seens to resolve itself. The phone can continue to work fine then.
    I first noticed a problem when taking photos on the camera the light was very poor. I could take a photo fine but when I clicked down in the corner to see the photo, nothing would come up and the little photo would go black dark. The photos were still saved though in the DCIM file directory. It just seemed the gallery had been corrupted. All photos were gone from the gallery. I googled and sorted that problem.
    However the issue with the phone turning on and off remains. I would rather not do a factory reset. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hey all

I am having an issue where my phone is turning on and off. The media scanner scans, then the phone goes blank and then comes on again and the scanner scans again. Bluetooth also appears on. After 4 or 5 minutes it seens to resolve itself. The phone can continue to work fine then.
    I first noticed a problem when taking photos on the camera the light was very poor. I could take a photo fine but when I clicked down in the corner to see the photo, nothing would come up and the little photo would go black dark. The photos were still saved though in the DCIM file directory. It just seemed the gallery had been corrupted. All photos were gone from the gallery. I googled and sorted that problem.
    However the issue with the phone turning on and off remains. I would rather not do a factory reset. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Btw the light on the camera is still poor and a battery icon is displayed on the camera screen when taking a photo, even though battery is fully charged.

Cyanogenmod installed.

Overall, very happy with the change. A little bit of pain reinstalling the apps and settings up profiles, wifi etc but its like buying a new phone.

Before I was using about 1.8Gb of internal storage despite removing apps I wasnt using & having all the apps I could on the 32Gb SD card I have installed. Since installing, I have avoided installing some more apps as I wasnt using them that much but but the usage is now 572Mb which is a huge improvement. Very responsive interface, like it was when I first bought the phone. Samsung really need to do something about the bloatware, its ridiculous.

I was busy on the phone today, more so than normal, and the improvement in battery life was noticeable. I can only imagine the improvement if I had a new battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

You inspired me Dempsey, just did the same yesterday and it's like a brand new phone again. Delighted with it. The UI looks great imo and the performance is much better! Also very quick and easy to install. While it is a bit of a pain that you lose your apps and profiles, it didn't delete my photos, videos or music which is great because I forgot to back them up beforehand.

Would recommend the mod to anybody.

Hey all

Thanks

Can anyone help me with the above.
    My photos have again disappeared from my phone's Gallery.

Can anyone help me with the above.
    My photos have again disappeared from my phone's Gallery.

You should wipe phone and format flash drive and install CM or a stock Samsung ROM. I know you don't want to do that but phones can go corrupt over time.

You should wipe phone and format flash drive and install CM or a stock Samsung ROM. I know you don't want to do that but phones can go corrupt over time.

I have got them back again. I went into Applications and cleared the cache on Media Storage and Camera and then rebooted the phone and it has worked.
    I have the phone nearly 3 years and the battery isn't lasting a day anymore even with limited enough usage. I might have to upgrade. I wouldn't mind getting a phone with unlimited data as I only have 1G at the moment for €30 p/m.

Any recommendations on getting another phone battery. See ones on amazon but not sure if they are good.

Any recommendations on getting another phone battery. See ones on amazon but not sure if they are good.

Anker batteries are suppose to be good. And I think they are extended batteries as well. I have no experience with them I just seen people on here post about them.

I got my new battery on Amazon.
    However, my phone is still giving the same problem. The phone is switching on and off continuously. When it comes on the media scanner runs, bluetooth also appears on, and then it switches off again.
    Is a factory reset my only option? Very reluctant to do it as I am sure I will lose something. Photos, calendar, messages, contacts - what else would need to be backed up?

Thanks

Edit: after 15 minutes of switching on and off it now seems to have sorted itself. It seems if I do not power off the phone it will work away fine from day to day, but if the battery goes completely dead (or the phone is powered off) the whole cycle starts again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

use wakelock detector to find out what is draining the battery

and then Greenify to hibernate the offending applications

Advertisement