Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Guys, flashed cyanogen10.1 on Saturday, in fairness it makes the phone feel like a brand new device (New lease of life for my aging model anyway)

Anyone else have issues with the phone establishing a GPS lock though?

Couldn't use sat nav feature via gmaps today, anyone aware of any known issues with this, any fixes etc?

Appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

SamHall wrote: »
    Guys, flashed cyanogen10.1 on Saturday, in fairness it makes the phone feel like a brand new device (New lease of life for my aging model anyway)

Couldn't use sat nav feature via gmaps today, anyone aware of any known issues with this, any fixes etc?

Appreciate the help.

I have had this problem with one of the nightlies, but an updated one sorted it out, it's about a fortnight since I last update though, unless this issue has resurfaced

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭redscan

Appreciate the help.

I used this and it made the gps lock much quicker. Have a read of it. Looks complicated but the process was actually very simple. Make sure to backup though!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1447599&highlight=agps+patch

There is an app made called Ulysse Gizmos which will tell you how many satelites and other sensor info. Might be useful to have on your phone if you are changing settings to chck if things are measurably improving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Did anyone get the new Google Music app, the orange and white themed version?

If I open it this sometimes the artwork is all skewed, but if I rotate the screen, the artwork looks normal again, can someone else try it and see of they get the same? :)
    It seems to be on random tracks on the same album with exactly the same artwork! (artwork is in the ID3 tag, not a folder.jpg)
    Screenshots:
    http://imgur.com/GeyxRd6
    http://imgur.com/jL8OAyp

I really have to question their decision to make the artwork zoomed in and bounce from left to right too, whyyyyy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

yeah I noticed the same. Though if you rotate back and forth is does seem to correct itself - or crash the music app! I think it's juts buggy software, it'll probably be corrected in a future update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I hope so!
    The zooming in and bounce thing is quite annoying because now I can see all the lovely jpeg compression artifacts on the artwork of ~6500 songs that I couldn't see before in the previous version... THANKS GOOGLE! :pac:
    Just when I thought I had it all perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

redscan wrote: »
    I used this and it made the gps lock much quicker. Have a read of it. Looks complicated but the process was actually very simple. Make sure to backup though!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1447599&highlight=agps+patch

Worked perfectly.

I used the cwm zip, flashed it there. Took 5 mins tops.....

I can get around unfamiliar areas again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

MAJJ wrote: »
    Updated firmware via kies and since then phone keeps using much more battery power. Goes from full to empty and off over a few hours and phone is hot like a heavy proces is running non stop.

Any thought appreciated, thanks

After borrowing another battery it seems my battery is at fault. Any suggestions for sourcing a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

After borrowing another battery it seems my battery is at fault. Any suggestions for sourcing a new one?

Get an anker one from Amazon
    Bigger battery and huge difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭shnburn

I got a new offical samsung battery for only 6 inclidin post off ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Go for the official extended battery on amazon. It makes the back of the phone a bit bigger but worth it in my opinion. I got 4 days out of it when I first got it and tested it by doing a minimal amount of use of the phone. With normal use I'm usually getting up to 2 days.

Edit. Actually it was nearly 5 days. Knew I took a screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

shnburn wrote: »
    I got a new offical samsung battery for only 6 inclidin post off ebay

link>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

ronano wrote: »
    link>
    Hiya, can you edit that link please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

anyone know what the latest supported os is in the SII on meteor? looking to change mine up and bit.

Anyone have a good rooting guide? and just how real a risk is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hiya, can you edit that link please

I think he meant "link?"

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

El Spearo wrote: »
    anyone know what the latest supported os is in the SII on meteor? looking to change mine up and bit.

Anyone have a good rooting guide? and just how real a risk is it?

eMobile is pushing Jelly Bean 4.1.2 to the S2 at present. I presume the same applies to Meteor. Got mine over the air about a week or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Appreciate the help.

Is it essential to have an sd card to flash or can this be done on its own storage space?

vectra wrote: »
    Is it essential to have an sd card to flash or can this be done on its own storage space?

I'm pretty sure it can be done on its own storage space, as this is treated like an internal sd card. It is nice to have an actual SD card in case their were any problems.

In answer to the post you quoted, download faster fix from the Play Store, and change the GPS server to Europe or the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

vectra wrote: »

yeah I have done it countless times on different droids, never had any problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Zagato wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it can be done on its own storage space, as this is treated like an internal sd card. It is nice to have an actual SD card in case their were any problems.

In answer to the post you quoted, download faster fix from the Play Store, and change the GPS server to Europe or the UK
    kingtiger wrote: »
    yeah I have done it countless times on different droids, never had any problems

Flashed it last Sunday.
    Absolutely brilliant.
    No problems in doing so,

No sd card only internal memory.

Normally on Jelly Bean if I charge it and let it lie idle it might last anywhere from 6 hours to 1 day and the battery would be dead.

Charged it fully last sunday morning,
    Flashed it and it is lying idle since. Just checked now and it has 47% battery left.

Should have done this sooner.

Thanks for the heads up.

All, does anyone know if I root my phone and put the latest sam firmware on it or if I flash a new rom, will my Ulster Bank app work?
    Also anyone recommend a good rom to flash which you are currently using.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

All, does anyone know if I root my phone and put the latest sam firmware on it or if I flash a new rom, will my Ulster Bank app work?
    Also anyone recommend a good rom to flash which you are currently using.
    Yes it will, i have it on mine

Well, I took the plunge and rooted my phone and installed latest CyanogenMod with Android 4.2.2.
    Took a couple of hours with backing up etc but no problems at all. Was sweating thinking I would brick the phone or something.
    Was really surprised when all my apps automatically downloaded and most had no data loss.
    UB worked no problem. Am delighted. Hope the battery life improves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

My S2 has been dying the last few weeks. It doesn't seem to understand how much space is on my SD card, the GPS works one day in three and the battery is now almost useless. Literally a day or two into having these problems I got my first message to say that I was due an upgrade. Now I'm not one for conspiracies but....

On another note, I hate Opera now since it updated to the latest version and un-installed it this morning. Is there a recommended alternative to the stock browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Beefy78 wrote: »
    On another note, I hate Opera now since it updated to the latest version and un-installed it this morning. Is there a recommended alternative to the stock browser?
    I don't know if its recommended, but I've been using Dolphin Browser practically since I first got my S2. Find it handy enough to use.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    My S2 has been dying the last few weeks. It doesn't seem to understand how much space is on my SD card, the GPS works one day in three and the battery is now almost useless. Literally a day or two into having these problems I got my first message to say that I was due an upgrade. Now I'm not one for conspiracies but....

You may as well root the sgs2 and flash CyanogenMod with Android 4.2.2 Its like having a new phone and the SGS2 is well worth holding onto.
    If anything goes wrong, take the upgrade. But rooting a flashing the new ROM is very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Actually that's not a bad idea. Little to lose in rooting it at this stage. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Which particular version of CyanogenMod are people using these days? Any links?

Been a while since I last flashed a new ROM on mine, and its getting a bit sluggish of late so might be time for something fresher :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Having serious problems with charging my model lately lads. Seems to work fine off the USB cable on laptop or in car etc, but the mains charger keeps hopping between on and off every second or so.
    Beginning to piss me off now tbh, anyone got any ideas as to what the problem would be?

Advertisement