Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Top Dog wrote: »
    Which particular version of CyanogenMod are people using these days? Any links?

Been a while since I last flashed a new ROM on mine, and its getting a bit sluggish of late so might be time for something fresher :)

A nightly from two nights ago. All the recent nightlies seem very stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

El Spearo wrote: »
    anyone know what the latest supported os is in the SII on meteor? looking to change mine up and bit.

Anyone have a good rooting guide? and just how real a risk is it?

It's actually very straight forward. I used a program called Odin to flash and root it. It created a recovery partition (Clockworkmod).

Then I got a cyanogenmod zip file for the i9100 and placed it on the sd card (I also got the google stuff like maps/email/playstore on a zip file and did the same). Then in recovery mode, I installed the cyanogenmod zip followed by the google stuff.

The phone works very well despite being quite old. There's not really any risk either. I had no idea what I was doing when I spent the night googling for instructions while drunk and getting it sorted.

Go root your phone with the latest 10.1 nightly. It'll be like a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Which particular version of CyanogenMod are people using these days? Any links?

Been a while since I last flashed a new ROM on mine, and its getting a bit sluggish of late so might be time for something fresher :)

If you are on version 10+, you can update from the "About Phone" menu. Otherwise download a recent 10.1 nightly and install it from your recovery partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Decided to put CM10 on last night.

After 2 hours re-installing apps and information, discovered that it wouldn't play any flash videos at all for me. So now its back to where I started again!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Beefy78 wrote: »
    On another note, I hate Opera now since it updated to the latest version and un-installed it this morning. Is there a recommended alternative to the stock browser?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opera.browser.classic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I need a _monster_ battery for S2. The biggest that I found on ebay is 5000mAh. Anything bigger that this?

Be careful installing the latest CM 10.2 nightlies. Managed to break recovery and stop my phone from booting - had to flash a new recovery and ROM from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Another Cyanogenmod fan here with an S2.

Installed it for the first time 2 weeks ago (Had only been using stock touchwiz) and I'm absolutely delighted. The phone is running much faster, everything seems smoother, there are extra features and even the battery might be lasting longer. Warning though - you do lose the ability to use your radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Another Cyanogenmod fan here with an S2.

Installed it for the first time 2 weeks ago (Had only been using stock touchwiz) and I'm absolutely delighted. The phone is running much faster, everything seems smoother, there are extra features and even the battery might be lasting longer. Warning though - you do lose the ability to use your radio.

I put on the CM rom but I wanted to change back to touch wiz because mhl doesn't appear to work on CM. Does anyone have a link for Samsung touch wiz jelly bean for an unlocked s2. I've already downloaded two that don't work. Thanks

Does anyone here download the CM nightlies? I see 4.3 is out but reluctant to download if not stable.

• Advertisement

It's not good yet. Lots of screen flicker, and one of the recent nightlies broke my ROM and recovery.
    Titanium Backup can't restore half my apps (may be unrelated to 4.3 - having trouble installing/updating some apps anyway, tells me insufficient space when there's plenty.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

Yeah the 4.3 nightly are brand new and bogey. Im running one. I would wait a few weeks and check the forums there before updating.

I'm currently downloading the last 4.2 nightly. Will switch back to that for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

numorouno wrote: »
    I put on the CM rom but I wanted to change back to touch wiz because mhl doesn't appear to work on CM. Does anyone have a link for Samsung touch wiz jelly bean for an unlocked s2. I've already downloaded two that don't work. Thanks

Have you tried sammobile.com?

Zagato wrote: »
    Have you tried sammobile.com?

Yeah. I downloaded the rom there but it comes as corrupted when I try and load it on the boot menu

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

It says that you shouldn't use a screen protector as this will create a malfunction on the sensor. Does the screen not get scratched without a screen protector?

It says that you shouldn't use a screen protector as this will create a malfunction on the sensor. Does the screen not get scratched without a screen protector?
    Where did you read that?

I've been using screen protectors for over 2 years with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I've 2 years with the s2 w/o a screen protector and have no scratches, do have a casemate tho. Hope the note3 works out as well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

I saw it on the manual.

Have latest CyanogenMod on phone and noticed that GPS lock takes ages and some apps are out my a km or more.
    Any suggestions to get better or faster GPS lock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭redscan

Have latest CyanogenMod on phone and noticed that GPS lock takes ages and some apps are out my a km or more.

I have found this to be quite helpful. I normally use method 1 after I flash a new rom. I also use GPS Fix from the play store. It starts up automatically when you load Maps. Lock on still takes a while depending on where you are but I used it in south east Asia for the summer without many problems. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1447599

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I use FasterFix from the app store, works pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Do some apps lose functionality when moved to the SD card?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Dempsey wrote: »
    Do some apps lose functionality when moved to the SD card?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Yes

How do I check what functionality is lost when transferred to the sd card

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Dempsey wrote: »
    How do I check what functionality is lost when transferred to the sd card

I think it's mainly widgets stop working is the only disadvantage to storing on the SD Card, there may be others but that's what I always thought

Nick

Sold mine the other day for 150 Canadian dollars to a friend. Goodnight sweet indestructable prince..

I'm having severe problems with the microphone in my s2. It only works in loudspeaker mode. I reinstalled the Samsung rom and it worked for the first day or two normally and then didn't so I don't think it's a physical problem

I've searched this online and it recommended I install csip and play with the settings which I've done with no success

I'm on 4.1.2. I don't want to go down the route of custom roms if possible as I have a mhl to hdmi cable and it doesn't work with most of not all of these but if it definitively solves the problem then I could be open to them

I don't have insurance and it's not my Pm primary phone but nonetheless I'd like to get it back to its former glory.

Can anyone recommend someone in/around Cork who could have a look at my S2 for me? In the past few weeks (since I flashed an official rom for my wife) the battery use has absolutely plummeted. Thought it might have been the battery finally dieing (it is 2 years old) so sourced a new one but same problem. It won't stay turned on for more than a couple of hours before its completely discharged - even with no-one using it and wifi/data turned off.

Its even discharging when powered off and getting quite warm near the lens!

Could it be the older sim causing issues? Help please, as I don't want to have to tell her to start using her brick Nokia again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Can anyone recommend someone in/around Cork who could have a look at my S2 for me? In the past few weeks (since I flashed an official rom for my wife) the battery use has absolutely plummeted. Thought it might have been the battery finally dieing (it is 2 years old) so sourced a new one but same problem. It won't stay turned on for more than a couple of hours before its completely discharged - even with no-one using it and wifi/data turned off.

Its even discharging when powered off and getting quite warm near the lens!

Could it be the older sim causing issues? Help please, as I don't want to have to tell her to start using her brick Nokia again :(

Exactly the problem I had with my wifes SG2
    Root the sgs2 and flash CyanogenMod

I did it and now she gets days out of her battery. She is not a heavy user but nice to have a phone with some battery life when you pick it up.

Advertisement