Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Terry dillion ,is the player ,clonakily man played rubgy highfield,like shea fahy and the rock also in the past

Few games under tomkins

Father was kevin ,a kerryman that played for cork

Kevin Dillon would be from my part of the world TTM, was meant to be a fantastic footballer. Little piece on him here in case anyone's interested.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cork/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=119404

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Ray carey isnt going to come back,hes in dublin ,and he was asked to make up hes mind when clyda were beaten by kilteragh,but wanted more time to think bout,but they wanted an answer asap.Thats fair game.

People need to forget the past and live in the moment.i have huge affection clyda,at most there games all year ,but at the end of the day im honest and ruthless and understand what the red and white means ,that he isnt up to it,and let my clyda emotions aside.

I said it ocober ,i didnt think he was up to it and had doubts if he joined.
    2009 form,he was superb and was a huge loss in the final.
    He 2010 form was awful,went back than forward and 4 zears watching lad ,he hasnt came close to intercounty.

Superb for clyda during the year at 3,but he had a blanket defence to help him.So I wouldnt say he was greater than great.
    In the semi against kilteragh was exposed for the 1st goal badly.
    He has lost a yard if not more of pace.He would be ruthlessly cleaned out in croke park.

I for 2 years was a huge critic gary of kissane as a player ,remicssent old style cork,athleticsm,stamina,endurance(people mix it up real pace,he hadnt)and limited kick passing and pure football.He was the one player ididnt want to have goal chance against dublin last year.
    Penalty miss against kilteragh ,was blasted rather than precison and it was a mile wide.Hes techinique showed he hasnt natural skills.I admire hes bravery,honesty,courage though to take the penalty.
    He hes great commitment to clre.I believe hes living in cobh now,and thats some journey to limerick to train .Often training start at 9 after hurlers ,so be late he get home .

However ,he is now coach.So you forget bout hes playing days.Judge him on the task in hand ,county boards do well to do that.
    A superb coach,really astute ,and real intensity.Had arigeen rangers for a bit last year,while playing,then ,with clare.Watched them ,train ul,winter said it after ist session here ,clare would do well and make real progress.

He is a new ,modern,coach brings a science to it,very much the man behind the rennaniscence ,in them ,and he does all coaching drills.Not afraid mince he wors.A real real intensity.Limited panel ,but will get every inch out of them .

He has brought two drills cork training,i identify with to them ,
    He had u21 training with them 6 weeks to help them develop .
    Munster ex player,ex aussie chris deloze is strength and conditioning and podge father brings club scence and knowledge of there to them .

They will rattle tipp and take a scalp in the qualifer.Cork must get him in cork team in two years or he be lost another county .He upward curve,and clare is a steeping stone.

What I saw cork set up last wknd,he is miles ahead of one our management set up in intensity,organisiton ,etc .

Tipp have roscarbery man Peter creedon a principal in tipp .
    They have fine talent,but should they beat limerick ,cork would beat them by 8 plus,same limerick in the pairc.Quinlvan is real threat at 14,however unlike the u21 team we have natural full backs in cads,shields,jamie sul more than capable holding the lad .

O riordain id say is a cert go afl .Hurling extended panel ,45 panel at start winter with tipp.
    Awesome player,and a great young lad.Huge huge fan I am.

Training camp ,are great,however Intensity is A Neseccity and Organisiton paramount to success.
    Id say Cork may not have another one,if they do ,i hope certain lesson have been learned ,imo .
    Dinnen family,old man helps out at farm I believe .

Horse ,i be at it ,so I can be updates,however my ear may be burned from ,some limerick lads lamenting o grady let them down.Ie
    F I do not do a update,i do a full match report ,player by player,honest ,and as I see it ,and from weather ,to state ptich,crowd ,and faciltes I try and bring you a picture of it .

I agree,im going to see limerick also .That game though I expect limerick to win,the gander is up ,and real sean south talk with them ,passion,and balls of fury .And there against the word now.I expect intensity be up .They win,and I see it ,paper monday,tj and players ,dug in to well and wanted to bring pride players and ,they done it for the fans.Wow,limerick naivety takes over,they will tell you there ready to beat tipp.

Usual rubbish ,pr game .
    Then tipp beat them .They are a shambles,board and also Not all but some players arent exactly backing o grady and loyal .Feel for the players,no I dont.They didnt back o grady .
    There a law to themselves and I have zero sympathy for them,the board,and sum players ,and tj ryan is a yes man,despite hes bluff he isnt.Sorry now,but lets be honest ,and call it as it is,actions speaker louder than words.

I was a fan of limerick ,but after that,hope tipp beat them .
    As cusack said today it was disgraceful what they done to O grady who should be director of hurling in Cork he said.As he said you don't need to apolgise in limerick,they do it for you.

Imo ,it say it all regards tj he work with them now.BIRDS of a feather always flock together .

Im not sure team be announced,may be tommorrow.Cahalane and walsh id expect to start .

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

The rock will have a job picking a squad out of the players on view in Limerick. Some of the A players are simply not good enough its easy to talk about the talent thats there the likes of young gunning and a few others but this A squad was inherited from last year and is in my opinion badly put together. but some of the so called B players should be pushing for places on the A squad. The likes of Ahern and Harrington both just 15 and playing major roles for their respective clubs at minor level should be given considerstion. Both posses strenght and ability not often seen in kids of their age. This should be nurtured as cork teams are full of nice wristy hurlers but lack real power. Any one watching the recent interdivisional blitz over easter would have seen the two lads playing for Seandun where they gave exhibitions. Harrigtons free taking and alround play was super while his teammate's power and interplay would put many senior players to shame

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

I'd heard that Ray Carey wouldn't be up to IC anymore. Hard to know who will play in the corner Tom Clancy/Galvin/Jamie.

Interesting to hear about the inexperience showing at the training camp. We'll have a month to prepare for the Tipp game and that should be enough time but the dual players might miss some of it.

Good to hear that Paudie Kissane is doing well with Clare - hopefully we'll see him involved with Cork before too long.

A lot I agree with,some I take issue with
    That u16 team is well coached ,and is team that has a huge chance in september.

Around 9 that team could be minors and will be.
    Paddy sheehan and Darragh Guiney at the full back,Murphy blarney,Niall o leary ,and then Tadhg Deasy ,Tristan o leary ,and daniel gunning then ,Cashman at full forward
    And yes aherne and harrington I mentioned must be on it .

They beat limerick 4 weeks ago march 29th,they had a few out,cork had also ,looney,smith ,mcdonnell-tracey ,beausang and garan manley were with midelton in u16 all ireland

They with a full strengtH team would rattle arrabawn tournament .
    guiney is some talent at corner back for newtown ,but half back is where he plays at club ,he be a huge part Charville dean ryan cup team next year , and with newtown minors with tim o mahony at half back beside him.A great temparment ,down to earth .

Harrington is great talent as you say would and I said it put some seniors cork midfielders candiates to shame.This passage man(great great club,)has drive,hunger and steel ,and mixes it and isnt afraid rough hurling,what hands he has ,lad has hurling left and right side.He will be mark my words ,minor next year,panel.Wont start as butty mac,be starting but christ what a paternship we have if he did

Both real,hard ,gritty,lots of hurling in them.Hurlers but warriors inside.Two great talents I have huge faith in .

Harrington was awesome ,team got beat,b team .A limerick selector told me after,hugely taken by hes display.

Aherne is a fine talent .Strong and works hard,great on a beaten b team.Hes living in mallow I believe but going to Ag mhuhre.People are na piarsaigh,but moved to the mallow aera,like Glen kennifick a glen man living in kilshannig.A fine talent,unlucky with injury.Unlucky not be on football or hurling panel in the minor.Was with both,but for injury would made it imo.

Adam o sullivan that club,a tough ,talen ed hurler also that could make the starting team.

Rock is a good coach and doing good with them.

I wouldnt judge lads soley on easter camp today ,or during week as ,that is just against cork lads .Real real intensity is next wknd mallow and in tipp I think when the 16 and 17 a and b plays in inter divisonal intercounty comp against west clare ,north tipp etc.i go to the a or b games .
    That u16 team is a fine team ,and 9 aprox limerck lads cork a beat ,beat clare u16 last week .Thats how good our lads are .

I agree we need physical hurlers,but musnt comprimse on the skill level .

We have a great blend of both here and at minor .

• Advertisement

My exact post I done after the games in March 29th

Cork u16 hurlers A team beat Limerick A team 2-17 to 2-10 in the astro turf ,ul North Campus ptich.
    Both the A and B games had 3 x 20 minutes -and Diarmuid O Sullivan was with them,while Noel Hartigan,and Jerry Wallis ,that great cork coach,with Limerick teams.Limerick A team was mainly made up of the city east and west divisions.Not there stongest teams by any means ,as they had a few lads with the Ard Scoil panel and Doon today and Pallas also .
    But a good test for Cork all the same

It was 4-4 at the end of the 1st period  then the 2nd period Cork lead 1-11 to 2-5  (winning that 20 1-7 to 2-1 )and then in the last 20 minute period won 1-6 to 0-5 points winning the match 2:-17 to 2-10 with Tristan O Leary Sars and Daniel Gunning getting a superb goal,brother of Eddie ,a Cork minor,the Na Piasaigh Lad was awesond at centre forward.
    Cork U 16 Hurling A Team that started

Barry Kenneally-kanturk,got a run as did Colin Looney Sarsfields.Both were very good,Kennellys shows what Nash has done,in that every lad in kanturk would want to be a keeper.

Robert Bourke Ballincollig
    Paddy Gleasson  Eire Og
    Darragh Guiney Newtwonshandrum
    Kevin Murphy St Itas
    Conor Murphy Blarney
    Niall O Leary Castletlyons
    Aaron CollinsWatergrasshill
    Stephen Condon Glanworth
    Gearoid O Donughe Ballincollig
    Daniel Gunning Na Piarsaigh
    Tadhg Deasy Blackrock 12
    Tristan O Leary 13
    Kieran Cashman Lisgoold
    Jack O Connor Sarsfields

Lads like Jack Ryan Sliabh Rua,Shane O Driscoll Sarsfields,Niall Murphy etc,all got game time also.

They all played well but the stand out players for Cork would have to be Darragh Guiney(a half back at club)superb in the right corner back poistion.I mentioned the lad before as a talen,he can hurl left and riit,and very fast and leads from the back,always attacks the ball.

Robert Bourke was very good,he just won a u15  football premier title last week , along with hes Clubman Gearoid O Donoughe and teamate who got 4 points against Glamire in that final ,both were impressive today.

Conor Murphy and Kevin Murphy hurled a lot of ball with ,Tristan O Leary ,Tadhg Deasy ,and Gunning very good up front.Cashaman at 14,very strong and tall won a lot of ball,and Jack O Connor who is in great form at club level with sars,got some great points.
    Cork were missing lads with Midelton next week ,in the All Ireland final ,the likes of
    Jack McDonnell  ,Josh Beausang
    ,Killian Treacy  and ,Garan Manley,shows the strength of them at u16 and they will shake the u16 Arrabawn tournament in Autumn.

The Cork U16 Hurling B Team lost 1-17 to10.
    At the end of the Ist half it was 1-7 to 4 in favour of limerick then 1-11 to 8 at the 2nd period (drew that half 4 apiece ,and Limerick won the last half 0-6 to 02.
    1-17 to 10
    The B team gave there all,couldnt fault any one for there effort just one of those days,and they will learn from it.Michael John Shine Blarney ,Killian Ahern Na Piarsaigh,Adam O Sullivan Kilshannig and Ronan Harrington Passage Were very good for them ,with Ahern scoring some nice points and with the likes of  him,Evan Connell,Dayne Lee,The Gunning lads ,they have good talented young hurlers coming through.
    I feel Na Piarsaigh will be strong in the future,and thats good for Cork,as we need the city clubs to be prominent.

One player that was very impressive was Ronan Harraington of Passage(that great club of the Great Justin Mccarthy and three goal Eddie,3 goals in the 1970 all ireland final ,a remarkable feat that held its own for 40 years.Made more legendery ,that he had a few Guinness the night before.).

This lad is a dual player , i belive .Today imo,he was the best of the midfielders on show ,of all the 4 teams.Strong on the ball,hurler that is just as strong on both sides,was always on the ball.
    Lads at this age group,its always hard to say who may or not make the next grade etc,for various reasons but it will be interesting to watch them develop.
    They will get better under the guidance of the Rock.Ist time saw him in action,extremelmy impressed by hes organistion,hes shrewdness and hes calm compusure on the line.
    Early yet ,im normally seldom wrong with managers in my judgement,my view is the Rock will be okay .

In relation to the comment regards Hamilton never again doing well in the Harty and they should be almagated more or less,thats  dissrespectful to Hamilton and makes me actually think that people with that view don't have the remote understanding of the level of work gone in to the school ,and that is still going in by Crowley for example ,a harty winner himself with Franferris and also managed Carbery to a Senior County in 94,
    at hurling in the school.

Hamilton people must realise and many do,that they had a 16 year absence from the Harty cup 95 to 2012.Won a Kinnane Cup ,in 2011, then held there own in the 1st year back in the group stages,ran the top teams to 3 or 4 points and Michael cahalane was injured for a few of them and absent for one i think.

They werent give much chance,a hope in hell even by me to get out the group  so soon this year ,as they had a tough group,but they beat de la salle,flannans ,and then had to play Dungarvan with 7 of the 2013 croke team winners ,with Kevin Daly the waterford captain and curran and donnelly ,in the quater final and by no means shamed to Ard scoil .

They in 3 years made huge progress,and what they need like other cork schools is help and funding from the board and more help coaching wise,.What they dont need is people with narrow minded views that are dissrespectful to what they produced ,in saying they will never be as good again  and knocking them down.Also that school has 3 cork minors,Jerry O Neill,Luke meade, chris o leary ,and had Michael Cahalane and Trevor Horgan dual minors last year with Michael macsweeney,that are u21 potential players in the future.

That school has been a predomintely football focused,so Hurling is takeing time but Must be continued as valley rover,bandon ,and newecstown etc have a huge talent base ,so joining with others,some talents would be lost  and not developed in the game.

Hamilton must be on its own ,as it gives west cork a real Idenity in Hurling.Bob ryan said that Hamilton ,should amalagamate in 2012 with our schools.This year success and the talents they have produced for cork intercounty shows they dont and shouldnt almagatmate and can Stand on its own two fee,it would be great if the board helped Hamilton with money to support coaching etc ,and increase the Gdos in west cork.

One point that i do agree with ,is that Rebel og must get more help and funding as compared to limerick and waterford they are barely scratching the surface.Limerick gets funding in the schoolr from the dublin branch of the limerick supporters club,local buisnesmen and the county board.There schools teams,Ard scoil are treated like professionals ,meals after games etc ,gyms you name it.
    Buses to and from matches.

Even today ,there A and b teams were well treated ,and they had food etc after.
    The Cork set up had nothing i believe,and the players had to make there own way to limerick by parents etc cars .Why not hire a bus for them .

They had a bus in kerry for the u17 lads today but no bus for the u16 team,and a lot of city lads and farther afield with the panel .Surelx a bus could be organised???a county with money like cork.

Ard scoil had a bus from limerick to to mallow ,for a challenge match 5 wks ago against cork minors.
    That was an hour trip each way.Some cork had a hour and 40 at least each way ,yet parents etc had to make that trip at there own expense.
    Blarney played Castletroy wednesday ,and had a bus for there team ,for the 45 minute each way trip to chareville .

I saw the same last year,cork u17s in mallow getting in to cars in to travel,no bus for them.In this day and age ,they should have transport provided,as it gets lads used to it for bigger days down the line and is good for team bonding and morale etc.

Players and familes make enough sacfries for the game is it is,they should be supported.Yes they do it for the love of the Game,but these are the toughest times in ecomic history for Ireland,people shouldnt be out of expense for it ,and espiceally when Cork are very profitable .

Leitrim beat Galway in the u21 football,the champions are out .I expected Roscommon to beat galway and win it,i never thought Galway wouldtbe beaten today,i expect roscommon to win Connaught and play Cork if we win Munster on the 9th of April.The minor Hurling 1st round games limerick v tipp in the gaelic grounds and cork v kerry at pairc u rinn ,is put back from Wednesday the 9th April to Thursday 10th of April.

Ben and Jerry O connor are unlikely to play with newtown this year ,at senior or  junior.Two great servants for Club and County ,retired ,in all likelhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'd heard that Ray Carey wouldn't be up to IC anymore. Hard to know who will play in the corner Tom Clancy/Galvin/Jamie.

Interesting to hear about the inexperience showing at the training camp. We'll have a month to prepare for the Tipp game and that should be enough time but the dual players might miss some of it.

Good to hear that Paudie Kissane is doing well with Clare - hopefully we'll see him involved with Cork before too long.

He's still flying fit himself, played against Clyda a few weeks back - they're playing some good stuff - smart football moreso.

You'd imagine the management on the line have their tactics in order and Paudie would have a bearing on how they're training re: fitness as their conditioning seemed very good when we played them.

D'Agger wrote: »
    He's still flying fit himself, played against Clyda a few weeks back - they're playing some good stuff - smart football moreso.

You'd imagine the management on the line have their tactics in order and Paudie would have a bearing on how they're training re: fitness as their conditioning seemed very good when we played them.

Yeah english doing great job with them

They I fancy beat skib who have peadear healy,a vetqy limited coach ex cork with them

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

fair comment thinks too much, I still feel that the overall picture could be better. The team this year will be better coached no doubt. Last year selections were difficult, Yes there is great talent there it just need to be brought through now. Looking forward to the year in prospect.

A lot of what you said is true and I 110 per cent back you in the minor ,rebel og,development squads should be a lot,lot better ,and at Cork it is reasonable expectation .

The management at u15,u16,17 and u18 is fine ,senior is fine in hurling.A strong chain up along.However a strong chain is only as good as its weakeast link .

Where is cork weakest link in Hurling..Its at u21,pure shambles ,and its got nothing to do with ,talent .
    You couldnt script how far of the pace we are Played Cork intermediates ,and jesus I dont know where to begin .
    Yet no one questions it .
    The ex cork stars,and media could do such more ,to question it and bring it in the public domain ,like the club delegates,about how management with awful records get top jobs.
    But no body does.Yet these people wonder ,year after year why we are are we are ,and have the audacity to blame ,everything else bar question why ,managament that have awful track records get it.
    How Ger fitz wasnt made accountable for hes woeful 4 years is beyond belief.
    He said sorry to fans.Fair enough.
    To me ,i dont buy it as ,he shouldnt stayed on after two years.And Ger would probably take a job again if offered.Words to me then mean nothing.

The management ,ger cunningham,Rock,landers and ring having input to u17 as well as minor ,are top notch.No problem.

The problem is the Board half fund ,rebel og,and compared to limerick,put nothing like same money ,in to it,and rebel og would be lost with out volunteers ,real people ,real gaa die hards that love game shine through.

Limerick u16,minor ,etc no cost is spared ,and wallis every need is catered of with the teams .
    He was asked to go cork intercounty team,declined this year.
    He is commited to limerick.He doesnt break commitment,makes him a great coach.
    Cork were too late ,should have kept him years ago g

Maybee after the limerick minors he would however Wallis wherever he goes want certain thing.It would imo,have to be a perfect enviroment for him to take over.
    Players welfare paramount to wallis.Post match meals,equipment ,etc you name it.

Limerick have a great man there.But its just inevitable they will self destruct and mess it up .I saw wallis at a game ,and one of lads took a blow to the head .Lad thankfully got up and was grand .

But you can never be too careful ,with head injuries after hearing that lucky kerry lad ,that had rubgy injury and thankfully survived.
    Referee saw it,other did and thought fine game on etc.

Wallis screamed at hes own medic to go over check the lad out ASAP,and made sure he was taken away from the action for a minute,pupils checked etc.Any doubt that lad would be even taken away hospital.Wallis has a real nature players ,but is a tough oyster on field,demands and expect the best .

Two years ago he said ,cork needed to get physical and referring had to be tougher and not awarding frees soft fouls and he would rather see player with 2 points play game than 1-5 from frees.Hes so ahead of the game its unreal .

Like I said in the other post,bit of joke at games cork lads arrive in cars,than buses etc .At u17 in mallow last year ,had to bring there own sun tan.Ffs ,what a joke.
    Lads got jaffa cakes etc,Dublin lads had sandwiches paid for by there board delivered by catering company ,at 8 in the morn ,and had a meal afterwards.
    Cork u15 last year had pay 5 euro for a breakfast in cork .It was up on the website.Id be embarrased to do that .

A hotel in charville just an example like many do special ,5 euro breakfast etc

It wouldnt break board ,to pay for that for the lads .Our board has money ,however ,a 5 euro note is a lot to hard cash strapped familes in some cases in present times.

I personally dont now ,but I used to support the cork gaa draw ,but stopped doing it.Simple reason,is Im not sure money is invested in the right way .And the last strike ,was the straw that broke the camels back.

Tommorrow I have no bother paying 10,euro ,to charity match for Dessie fitzgerald ,that great brave hurler who had a tragic accident .I expect and hope a huge crowd for the lad turn up .They will do ,a huge north cork,and bruff ,kilmallock,hospital,effin crowd at it ,as limerick puplic great in times like this.

You see thats why I find the 67m (quite ironic its now risen to 70 m)in all media reports recently.
    Cost is going up it seems ,hard to swallow as ,i am a firm believer Money must be put in to underage structure ,and then a stadium after .
    You always build from the bottom up ,always our the house always falls down .

I see that the planning is to be appealed.6 months at least,it could delay it by media reports.
    And then it could go to he high court then .Could be long delays yet .And that costs board money .Id saying the board are using a lot of chewing gum so to speak,tense times.

In relation to training ,a point I be concerned with is at training camp senior football last week ,we didnt have video anaylaist .
    Cork u21 team last year had ,cleary was a strong advocate for it .
    Dublin u21 footballers had it at challenge matches and training this year.

Clare use it.Laois hurling had it last week two day camp.Pat flangan kerry coach ex,waterford last year ,tipp u21 footballers this year ,i belive if true ,with cian o neill at laois strong advocates for them.

Just my opinion ,but I would think in this age its a necessity .
    At cork v monagahan ladies football,there was a video anaylst there.Im not sure entirely if it was cork or monagahan but one team had one there .
    Again people may think im being overlycritical and harsh.Hand on heart ,im not ,i just want the best for cork and no stone left unturned in our pursuit for glory at all levels ,minor ,u21,senior and intermediate at both codes.And others are doing what we should be doing.We are Cork ,like .6

Cork are still so behind other counties in some aeras its beyond belief,and we should be the standard bearers ,not 6 the pack .
    And we should have a director of hurling Donal O GRADY ,and a Director of Football ,Billy Morgan .
    That wont happen as there very much there own men and wont comprimse there own principles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

TTM, its terry Dillon your talking about, played centre for highfield when they were doing well in the AIL back when it started, very strong a fine player but off the pace for senior inter county. Is he coaching clon in rugby now?
    As for noel galvin, how are fellas doubting him over who exactly???? who has done better then galvin in the full back line over the league? bar shields, cadogan hasn't got games, osullvian has been ok, Clancy is out of position. Galvin will do fine and I expect him to push hard for corner back.
    Don't worry about dineens cows ffs lads, he is old and mature enough to have made a decision to come into the set up and have things ok back home, he is well worth his place and his toughness is required in what is essentially a 'nice' team, especially gould and walsh at midfield neither of whom would be in any way physical despite being huge men.
    As for barry o driscoll, has done very well when selected and typtified vs Kerry when himself and colm o driscoll cleaned up on broken ball and we know what happened vs Dublin when they were replaced by donncha and goulding!!!
    Cork are essentially playing 2 inside men, the third man plays in the half forward line with Collins dropping further back. It is this mans job to win breaking ball and link midfield/half back line with the inside line, barry is well capable of doing this as like all nemo footballers he is intelligent.
    Its why he is under NO pressure from dan maceoin as dan is an out in out target man inside and will have a say on this championship yet.
    Surprised with Crowley being brought straight in think he is one of these wing backs who soloes first and as a young player he will run into trouble at this level doing this.
    Cadogan will see very little time with the hurlers this year and including him in the 'development' panel is only a smokescreen, he has committed to the hurlers first and fair enough, bad enough having 3 dual players but having more would be an even bigger joke, walsh and cadogan have been hampered by injuries since februaury at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Taken from gaacork.ie

MUNSTER SHC CORK V WATERFORD TICKETS ON SALE NOW! 24/04/2014
    Munster Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final
    Cork v Waterford
    Sunday May 25th
    4pm @ Thurles
    *Preceded by IHC Q-Final at 2pm
    Good quality tickets, including central stand tickets, for this game are now available for sale online at gaa.tickets.ie and via Centra & Supervalu stores (subject to availability). Prices are as follows:

Adults Covered Stand – €25
    Adults Uncovered Stand – €20
    Juveniles (Under 16s) for both stands & terrace – €5
    Adults Killinan End Terrace – €15

For more information, see munster.gaa.ie.

Centra/Supervalu Ticket Outlets
    Centra Carrigtwohill Cork
    SuperValu Hollyhill Cork
    SuperValu Blarney Cork
    SuperValu Castletownbere Cork
    SuperValu Dunmanway Cork
    SuperValu Kanturk Cork
    SuperValu Millstreet Cork
    SuperValu Newmarket Cork
    SuperValu Skibbereen Cork
    SuperValu Blackrock Cork
    SuperValu Glanmire Cork
    SuperValu Ballincollig - Quish's Cork
    SuperValu Charleville Cork
    SuperValu Youghal Cork
    SuperValu Togher Cork
    SuperValu Bandon Cork
    SuperValu Midleton Cork
    SuperValu Carrigaline Cork
    SuperValu Fermoy Cork
    SuperValu Bantry Cork
    SuperValu Mallow Cork
    SuperValu Clonakilty Cork
    SuperValu Ballincollig - Down's Cork
    SuperValu Merchants Quay Cork
    SuperValu Mitchelstown Cork
    SuperValu Grange Cork
    SuperValu Cobh Cork
    Centra Fermoy Cork
    Centra Mallow Cork
    Centra Bishopstown Cork
    Centra Crosshaven Cork
    Centra Charleville Cork
    Centra Tower Cork
    Centra Togher Cork
    The Pavilion Cafe Bar Cork
    Pluggd Records Cork

Internet shocking charville post pic progamme later

Nash,sul,eoin kean,burke,

Ellis,egan cahalane
    Walsh lawton

Oshea,cian-cooper

Moylan,bud,alan 2d

Limerk

Quaid,walsh,rich.e,condon
    O brien,wayne,gav o . Mah

Browne ,tom ryan

Allis,dodge,reidy
    Mulchay,downes,tobin

2-3 to 1-5 to limerick ghrame twnd goal

Nash penalty briilant sgoal.

H time. 2-9 limerick to 1-11
    Bud some frees,ellis,walsh and cian mac

Nash goal

Aidan walsh awesome game winning lots ball at h forward

Ghrame mul 2-3 frrom play Had 3 goal but for awesome save point blank save

Cahalane great game and great poin

Condon went of groin injury looks like it 25 minttes
    Aidan walsh superb point sideline

1-13 to 2-10 pouring rain

Downes 3rd goal

Report later match
    and if I can upload photas if internet is okay later

Nash 2nd penalty

Cork to 2-18 3-14 5 left

Cork won 3-20 to 3-17 aidan walsh superb goal

Man of match

I expected limkerick to be much stronger team to win

They are poor have huge problems

Will tj have to aplogise or board do it for him now

Wexford in knowlan park next saturday then a game in portaloise v dublin are next up

My aplogies if there was a lot short hand updates and grammar etc,bv it was pouring rain ,blowing in to the stand,and bitterly cold

Will have report later be late though,

Wexford in knowlan park next saturday then a game in portaloise v dublin are next up

My aplogies if there was a lot short hand updates and grammar etc,bv it was pouring rain ,blowing in to the stand,and bitterly cold

Will have report later be late though,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Thanks for the updates.

Happy to hear Walsh did well. Appears a good result on the face of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Horse84

Cheers TTM. An awful night for it

Cork team was changed from the programme even the subs

Limerick had one change

Cork had nash,sulliujan,keane,burke
    Ellis,egan(shane o neill replace him )
    Cahalane was down as 7,was cormac murphy who was lad got two great pointr,damien came on
    O shea,lawton

cian,cooper,and walsh
    Moylan,bud,and cads

Subs as programme

Mccarthy
    Mcdonnell
    Kearney
    Lehane
    Bud
    Harnedy
    Joyce
    O neill
    Cahalane

As I said above team lined out differently
    Murphy wasnt in programme started
    Mcdonnell,harndy,lehane were nt there

Cold and dry but then heavy rain and greasy ,and average crowd.Stand was full.
    Temp was 12o c,slight south westerly wind.
    Tame atmosphere as in very jovial as you expect these games

Great nick was the ptich and programmes werent 100 per cent but they were free

Limerick were up 1-4 to 3 after ten minutes then nash penalty we got going.

Im a huge fan of keane ,said had get a chance and at 3.Im man enough and honest to call a spade a spade ,he was awful tonight,in a slow physicak game,wet ground,against team wanted physicalty ,he should thrived.
    He was poor,fumbled lot high balls and beaten easily be he man ,mulchay then downes and caught way out of position .At fault for all 3 goals,imo

He was poor,and I mean bad.Hes strengths like ,high ball,was even poor .He had zero cofidence and thurles 3 wks ago,when he was at 5 has really drained it .
    He wont start in may.We have real problems at 3.Shouldnt been at 5 in league .He was a pale shadow lad I saw past.Cant start in may.

Nash-two great penalties ,great stuff begrudgers,by that talent again.
    Was at fault for downes goal,when downes batted it past him,like steffan edberg 1988 wimbledon at the net ,against becker .He went for the pile driver,i expected it,nash did,we both decieved by easy tap in .
    Couldnt have chance two mulchay goalrs.
    Great two saves in match,a pile driver point blank mulchay a point up.

Conor sul,struggled at times,however just back injury ,grew in to it.

Burke,was in dire troble v muchay.Couldnt handle him .
    Murphy shouldnt be dropped.burke is potential do.

Ellis-aint a fan,had a good game though,loved the phyiscality ,had a good game,but allis ,suited him in a wet ptich.
    Dowling would cause him problems and allis dry ptich.great point.
    I remain to be convinced .

Just back from injury,good game .

O neill had solid game,but dodge lorded high ball ,and same reason shane isnt a 3 is same at 6.
    Cormac murphy,superb game.2nd game 4 days saw lad ,superb.
    Two great points.
    However reidy isnt that great.
    Still great game.Midfield maybee.
    O shea -great game ,worked hard ,and ran a lot ,solid

Lawton-fan always,said other day didnt do it league games and looked way of player he was

Tonight was magnifcent.Showed a real appettie,and hunger of and on the ball.
    Got 3 great points at crucial times need greatest .
    Had super touch and loved midfield.
    Shows that hunger in every game may be option,has hurling

Cian-good frees,same old display.
    Won lot early ball ,and then faded ,then came in to it.Again limited,in movement swall ptich and heavy going,he still at times of the pace.

COoper.Won lot ball of wayne mac,had real hunger,worked hard,had a bit cut ,and never gave inch wayne mac.Raw and a work in progress,twice broke two tackles but penalised for over playing it and had few wides.

However missed year hurling,and also lost a bit due to rubgy,late developer but has potential.
    Perist with lad,as he works and brave,just sharpen up hurling

Walsh -green helmet wasnt why he was noticeable.He was awesome.He has clearly spent lot time hurling than football,as football ,edge is gone,but hurling is touch was greasy sliothar like a magnet .He was superb,roasted o brien then mahony ,under aerial ball ,had huge work rate,two great points play .

He ran at limerick time and again ,and got a great goal,tight angle,and superb side line cut as good u21 2011
    What power ,athlesticm .Should,always said,only dual star ,both codes that is starter .Its tough but may do it.Breathtaking display and I would think on that game management vfry happy with him ,murphy and lawton in particular

Moylan-busy ,condon kept him in toe,however stuck at it

Bud-okay ,and got few points,thinj frees,however not standout .
    Clean in on goal and a very bad fresh air ground swipe.
    Imo,not at this level

Cadogan kept busy,lovely poinst-fouled for a penalty,created a lot real talent and pace.
    Hurling is hes prirorty so should be fine this year.
    He would be superb in thurles or croker

A good win with so many out.We had a great touch ,and intensity that we hadnt l year.And what we do we do well.

Lorchan wasnt on the programme .came on for o neill,had a great game,at 6 in the last 15 .He was great covering.

Limerick unlike in feb,however played an orthdox game 15 v 15 hit ball after down on our backs ,and we were alert to it.Limerick were so predictable.Had around 20 wides so players got to take responbilty.

Tipp play maher as a sweeper ,and they have much bigger probs that tonight.
    Cork cant get carried away ,as we wont met as naive manager as tj again,and most teams play a sweeper ,test us .

I expected limerick to win ,as stronger team ,and expected a rection from them.They were flat ,and looked a team that had no energy.And I didnt expect it with full strength side close to it tonight.
    They have real problems going forward.

Talent is there but they blew away any chance,with o grady gone.
    1973 style in even a challenge game wasnt much good to them.
    We have serious worries at 3,and midfield ,but ,o shea,and lawton and murphy are options

Two game next two weeks,two neutral venues apparatently as want big test and opponents want the same.
    Wexford sat knowlan park kilkenny and dubs week after portlaoise

horse thats no bother buddy,i said I would do updates ,im always true to my word.Only two happy to help .
    Non opertatimal,no bother lad any time ,yeah postives in certain aeras .awful night.
    We will get a better test against wexford though.

Limerick

Quaid,walsh,riche,condon(king as injured)
    O brien ,wayne mac,gavin o mahony
    Browne,tom ryan
    James ryan didnt start,allis did
    Dodge,
    Reidy
    Muclchay
    Downes
    Tobin

Hannon,hickey ,o loughlin(brother is with minors,and played harty with chareville, got game,hannon two great points

The subs they had per programme(not 100 per cent)

Hennesy
    King
    O loughlin
    Morrisey
    Allis
    Hickey
    Fitzgibbon
    O. brien
    Quaid hannon

Apolgies wrong info re cahalane etc but programme was wrong

Limerick best men ,riche ,condon,wayne at time,dodge ,and hannone,ghraeme mul .

Dodge great time for however should got the line by james owens ,as nash had got penalty,minding hes own buisness ,running up ,and dodge blatanty hit him of the ball.
    People go bout nash being a danger in penaltes ,how ridaclous in truth.

What dangerous is players now target the lad of the ball.But there wont be a whisper .

Cork

Yeah sean thanks man got it last night.A very hard,tough player but lacked the quailty for intercounty.
    Had heart and guts though.
    Tremendous attuide for the game.
    Played out half for Highfield.A solid 12 wasnt it ,and did he play outhalf also and a good ball carrier.
    I always felt he would have been a great 8 sean in the back row.Savage leg power .

Coaching clon now as far as im aware.Father kevin a fine player,fine player.A kerry man orignally ,family played with kerry .
    Speaking of Clon,i would like if anyone can confirm ,but is that Barry O Donovan ,ex player them ,minor with cork around 15 years ago , the same sports journalist with the Eveining Echo??
    Im not sure if it is ,i think it is.
    A fine journalist, writes,articultae articles,lad knows he's stuff .Great reading.

If Terry Dillon had the finese and talent of Newmarkets Mark O Sullivan,lovely player,super feet,lacked heart and temparament big games ,great golfer also,would be sum player and vice versa ,he had terrys tough and resilent,what a player we would have had.The best club player of hes time,like hayes and masters lacking that work ethic to do it in the Big games,like the great,i mean really great players.

Dualism is here to stay as you said here weeks ago Sean.Anyone saying otherwise,is way of the mark.
    See way both panels were named,and not a word regards dualism.
    I wouldnt be so sure ,its a non definete next year either.

Crowley be fine Sean ,he just needs coaching and ciaran sullivan a half back is up to it what I saw the weekend .Hes good in the coaching.Crowley Sean,honest to God ,i have seen enough lad,is going to be Great ,once hes developed.U21 next two years,he is going to be better and better.He had a great 2nd half last week.Looks shy and quite,on the field never takes a step back ,he is the ultimate warrior.Imo ,be as great Ciaran Sullivan .

Off the field ,very like Harnedy,unassuming,and shy.
    On it,a real real competitor with Natural talents .If talent was a tear drop,he would be the ocean.Thats how much I rate the lad.Seen loads lad playing down the years.No fear there Seam,imo.

We must get more ruthless also in all aeras on and of the field imo.
    Other counties make it clear ,even in there training ,there world ,and they set the statement .Nothing is comprised.They make the rest comprimse to there Standards.Its the same with dualism,were comprimising our standards.
    Limerick shared a ptich last year with the minors.
    Again ,would Clare ,kk,Kerry,Dublin do it ??

Davy wouldnt share a ptich with anyone ,espiceally when they pay to use it. Again people may say,ah I wouldnt worry bout it.However the best worry about everything,its like a compulisve obbession to winning,and great to have,cody,davy,keane,fr bertie troy ,jbm ,harte,AP MCCOY,Ruby Walsh,Katie Taylor,Eammon Ryan all had that quailty.Davy doesnt comprimse to anyone,makes othes do.

Lit v ul ,fitzgibbon cup,he made he team train at ul end ptich,made hosts feel uncomfortable before game even started.Lit wouldnt go in to dressing room.Parked bus on plassey road,lads ran in over hedge,through bushes and briers ,saying we make our own way ,we go our route not the route you want us to take.Again a statement of intent.Games are won and lost in those moments.Epic,epic defining moments,before the game had begun.
    Like him or him not,i underestand the man for it,martin johnson ,the president snub in landsowne road.

I see why he had to do it,as he had a statement for intent ,hes team laying down a marker .
    You must have that mentailty.After it,ex irish rubgy lads said had no anomisty towards johno.
    He done what he had to as captain.He insipired others to be great.Thats what Real Real leaders do .

Donnacha be fine ,again is a warrior,ideal to slow the game down .There is times play a tempo game,times when like Munster v toluse 2008,you kill it in a game and play down the clock.Dublin thirve of momentum.Doc should stayed on ,to negate that .

Noel Galvin ,i totally agree,was one man show here for months saying he had it and better than mcloughlin ..He needs a clear run of injuries.He is fine .Tough and abrasive ,just what I want against kerry.

Colm o driscoll,one swallow never made a summer.Kerry wasnt game to judge lads totally.lets wait and see ,in more games.
    Brian is much better imo ,and was good last week.

I agree Sean,as you saidNemo,always had intelligent players,and a city arrogance and cockiness you must have with a balance of course.

Barry o driscoll ,is potentially up to it ,but must do it me ,two big games to earn my approval ,and kerry game was a non event ,so I would not read much in to that .
    Like for example make no mistake marc o se will be on hurley in champinship.That kerry game ,is a non event imo.

I agree Sean, nice footballer arent what we need on there own,we need resoulte,men of steel,that when need is greatest we have Warriors that we can rely on.

Dinnen as you say is that ,not just big on the outside.In the inside he has real heart and ,resilence.Like beauty ,no good from outside in ,as it wears off.Beautfiul people from the inside out are the real treasures of life.You can never take that beauty away .Same in a heart and hunger in a player.

Same a player that has a big heart ,to match talent,is a real real treasure.
    Everything you want against kerry.Always known as pure footballers,the greatest that graced the game ,however had real characthers ,real players of steel,gooch,galvin,o se by 3,galvin ,donaghy ,mahony ,fitzmurice etc,thats why they were winners.Had talent and inner resolve.

Training last week was a real eye opener for me ,lads I didnt expect stood up and lads I expected to lead I was suprised,expected more of them .Not that they were bad,but I expected more ,of them .

In forward v backs hurley v shields,was a titanic match up,epic.None gave an inch .Sum battle.Two warriors.Two lads cork are lucky to have.

Cahalane ,collins,dinneen,clancy kelly were to the fore front.
    Ken in goals was vocal,really driving it.I mean really to the fore .

Thats what you want ,you crave for.That desire and want in the team.
    I remember I watched keane 2003 charity shield final.Start of the season.Had won it all in the game .No need to proof a dime of anything at the start of the season.Could saved himself,a tired ravaged body for the long season ahead .
    Not in he's DNA.All or nothing.To comprise that Mentailty he had just once,meant he lost that edge that made him the Leader,the Great,not good or very Good,a really really Great player,a man you could go to to War with .

However ,its wasnt man u v arsenal.
    It was keane v veira .
    He had always that mindset,greateset enemy ,had to at least break equal.Viera was just the same.
    Thats why that game you could judge both players.Both chased and ran every ball as it was life depended on it .
    Thats what cork must develop ,that real ,inner will,unquinchable drive within .
    We must develop those characthers.to do that enviroment must be right,we must have conviction ,and drive ,from management down .Keane had that drive ,but Clough and Fergie tough love,hardened a lad already with a sharp edge .Managements Role in this Group ,cannot be underestimated in determining the future of the team,imo.In that drive and resilence cant be diluted or undermined by poor,naive,tactical nous from management
    This is year one,but crucial to the development of the team .

Myself and you ,Sean speak in unity when we say all issues and obstacles in this Cork teams way to win an all ireland are a hundred per cent fixable ,and totally within in there control .The key word is they must TAKE Control.
    Either way Management will Create a legacey.Lets hope its the right one.

They win Cork an all ireland ,playing pure football,i like many back those lads through thick and thin,cause they earned that respect.
    They fail ,and they will be remembered as a set up that didnt meet expectation with the next generation.
    Theres no point in saying otherwise.

Three years ,by 2016,plenty time win it .Again my huge worry is no one has said ,when Cork must win it by.
    Jbm in fairness said when he took over it was a 3 year plan .So a great judge at the end of this year of our progress.

We fail to win Munster against kerry and get a competive semi final,then they should be reviewed.Harsh no,a reality ,that is perfectly attainable target ,and we cant waste crucial time with this group on management if they arent up to it.We will know after year 1 what signs are.Must always be an upward steady curve of constant progress,in the complete succesful evoloution of any winning team .

They fail to beat kerry ,next year ,or get to an all ireland final again must be asked questions .As I said before must be mininum standards that a basic requirment is met even without winning ,even in year one .

Obivously if major injuries deplete the squad or a woeful referee costs you a game,you make an exception ,and adjust the targets and review accordingly .THERE isnt a job in ireland that you don't have a 6 month review or at least a year with any boss.Cork must ,have that same accountability with unproven management but we don't.

With A Director of each code,it brings Accountabilty ,responsibilty and ownership for all involved.
    Jack o connor called for a Director of Football in Kerry.Chances are they will in time do that.Cork has zero chance of that happening .

I watched jason sherlock late late.Showed that goal 95,still haunts me ,mark o connor slipped ,goal.
    He was a fine full back the Bantry man .

Clare as I raid would rattle tipp in div 4 final.

Watched it now .
    Clare put up a great display and kissane doing a great job.

Kilkenny minors hurlers beaten by dublin,our lads beat dubs handy in a challenge ,so a good sign .

I heard more great news if true re our minor hurlers today.

Nash getting ready to take penalty no 1

Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

TTm, thanks for the reports appreciated. As for terry Dillon, played in the centre for highfield and a tough operator. May have played with a fella called brian Cuthbert! who also lined out for highfield for a while, playing number 8 and was another abrasive character on the pitch.

sean mac wrote: »
    TTm, thanks for the reports appreciated. As for terry Dillon, played in the centre for highfield and a tough operator. May have played with a fella called brian Cuthbert! who also lined out for highfield for a while, playing number 8 and was another abrasive character on the pitch.

Go way.Cubby played rubgy?

Jesus I never knew that sean

Thanks did he play long?

No bother sean at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

You would have to wonder about things.there we are with development squads at underage, young fellas training 3 nights a week in cork, lads deferring their leaving if they are close to the minor team and now we parachute a fella into intercounty midfield with no previous inter county experience and wasnt even looked at underage.not saying any thing about him its just that if they were developing players they should have a list of elite players who have benifited from this extra training and perfoming at a higher level.I suspect that underage intercounty mentors are actually only just trying to get a win on their watch and are doing f all developing and are prepared to destroy players to get their win.you would hear ancedotal evidence that players go backwards when they are involved with county setups

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement