Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punching a woman - Justified or not? - MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

How is it self defence to hit someone who hasnt hit you ?

Ops group was the subject of assault and the op could reasonably expect to be assaulted next.
    Sure it is. Just because you want to defend your friend doesn't mean you can dole out punches. Self defence is one thing but "defence" is in this scenario is another and there was no need for the OP to hit the girl so it was plain old assault to lay her out with a punch to the face.

No, it is not assault. Defense of self or others is not assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I havent read the thread, has anyone mentioned donkey punch? is that what this is about?
    Its normal right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ops group was the subject of assault and the op could reasonably expect to be assaulted next.

That is unlikely to stand in a court of law. Aggravated assult

efb wrote: »
    That is unlikely to stand in a court of law. Aggravated assult

No, defense of others is widely accepted amongst most jurisdictions, ours included.

No, defense of others is widely accepted amongst most jurisdictions, ours included.

I can't see that standing, only one punch had been thrown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

No, it is not assault. Defense of self or others is not assault.

Why would the OP expect to be assaulted next when the girl pushed him out of the way to hit his friend ? There was absolutely no reason to hit the girl from what I have read. Seems it was a case of retaliation and not defence. So thats plain old assault.

Duty to retreat, she hasn't captured him, free to move away

Why would the OP expect to be assaulted next when the girl pushed him out of the way to hit his friend ? There was absolutely no reason to hit the girl from what I have read. Seems it was a case of retaliation and not defence. So thats plain old assault.

No, this is incorrect. It is reasonable for the op to assume that a further assault on them or their friend could take place and they moved to stop this. This is specifically covered for in legislation and it is not deemed assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Retaliation is plentiful reason.
    Most people would react in the same manner, I'd keep better friends if they didn't.

Duty to retreat, she hasn't captured him, free to move away

Not mandatory, it depends on circumstances also the other party was incapacitated on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Sure it is. Just because you want to defend your friend doesn't mean you can dole out punches. Self defence is one thing but "defence" is in this scenario is another and there was no need for the OP to hit the girl so it was plain old assault to lay her out with a punch to the face.

It wasn't assault though it was defence of a person who had been attacked and was incapacitated at the time and therefore unable to defend herself.

bumper234 wrote: »
    It wasn't assault though it was defence of a person who had been attacked and was incapacitated at the time and therefore unable to defend herself.

Its also reasonable to assume that it was straight defence of self given the actions of the aggressor.

Lovely how no one is condemning the person who initiated the conflict though.

Op should have waited for another couple of punches to land on friends face before stepping in?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

peekachoo wrote: »
    Oh man this is a whole other offensive territory youre crossing into :rolleyes:

Yeah, cos hitting girls is "charmer" territory. The hints in the act IMO. I'd lump women who "hit" in the same boat - real classy charmers. It might be old-fashioned, might even be "naive", but I like women who don't hit anyone, and lads who wouldn't hit a girl. The rest, I lump under the "scanger" umbrella, and that's my view.

And for all the "lads" who reckon hitting a woman is a-ok, fair enough, but top tip, don't do it when me or people of a like mind to me are toddling past, 'cos I'd knock a lump of your head off for the craic/educational purposes and to reinforce your love for old-fashioned stereotypes.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Yeah, cos hitting girls is "charmer" territory. The hints in the act IMO. I'd lump women who "hit" in the same boat - real classy charmers. It might be old-fashioned, might even be "naive", but I like women who don't hit anyone, and lads who wouldn't hit a girl. The rest, I lump under the "scanger" umbrella, and that's my view.

And for all the "lads" who reckon hitting a woman is a-ok, fair enough, but top tip, don't do it when me or people of a like mind to me are toddling past, 'cos I'd knock a lump of your head off for the craic/educational purposes and to reinforce your love for old-fashioned stereotypes.;)

Strangely enough, most of us would label people who hit anyone as scangers- gender is usually irrelevant either way

You do realise your post makes you appear as big a scumbag as the people you've given out about right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Think you might find yourself with an assault charge or getting the shîte beaten out of ya in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

http://www.vgmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/come-at-me-bro.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Op should have waited for another couple of punches to land on friends face before stepping in?:rolleyes:

Now you're just being deliberately obtuse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

How is it self defence to hit someone who hasnt hit you ?

It would be seen as defense of others, not self defense. But it's pretty much the same rules as self defense.

Someone knocks your friend to the ground, you see her on the floor bleeding, the aggressor is still standing over her and you instinctively punch the aggressor. How is that not defense? This person just floored your friend for no reason! There's still a threat of further violence and your friend is incapacitated and unable to defend herself.

If the agressor had walked away and he ran after her and punched her, that would've been a different story. Or if the OP decided to kick her to death or something. That's not reasonable force to prevent further violence, a punch is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

I'd disagree with the OP punching the girl. His friend (the assaulted case) had full right to knock seven bells out of the **** though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

To be honest Stavros if a women assaulted me and I retaliated in self defense and a white knight like yourself stepped in I would go to town on some one like that I'd consider the pair of them "scangers" for re-educational purposes of course

Girl assults me.

I hit girl back in self defence.

You think it's scummy to defend myself.

You decide to.assault me.

Kinda makes you a bigger scumbag imo. And fyi not everyone would stand there and take your **** as well.

The roll eyes was very endearing

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

What a piece of work - you punched a woman? It would be bad doing that even if she had hit you instead of your friend.

Now you're just being deliberately obtuse.

Not obtuse at all, some seem to think one punch does not constitute assault. Ironic that op only threw one punch and the lynch mob are only short of getting pitch forks and torches ready.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

riveratom wrote: »
    You punched a woman? It would be bad doing that even if she had hit you

Care to explain why you think a man should never defend himself against an unprovoked attack from a woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Reality is he was all over the big girl and dropped her for skinnier one ,so she give the skinny one a slap doubt its as clear as just a quick dance and move on, seems it happened right at that moment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

tritium wrote: »
    Strangely enough, most of us would label people who hit anyone as scangers- gender is usually irrelevant either way

You do realise your post makes you appear as big a scumbag as the people you've given out about right?

Good so. I'll draw my line, you draw yours. Everyones happy. Well, mainly me and you, but lets focus on the positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

riveratom wrote: »
    What a piece of work - you punched a woman? It would be bad doing that even if she had hit you instead of your friend.

It really wouldn't. That would be fairly definitively self defence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Care to explain why you think a man should never defend themself against an unprovoked attack from a woman?

Defending yourself and punching someone are two different things. I've never punched anyone in all my 36 years on this planet, eleven of those running a nightclub in Donegal at the height of the Celtic Tiger plastering gold rush. Been in plenty of hairy situations, I've had to defend myself on numerous occasions, never had to lift my hand to anybody.

Advertisement