Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punching a woman - Justified or not? - MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

In a violent confrontation it would be best to think and choose the best most sensible solution/reaction.
    But people don't.
    They go straight to fight/flight/freeze...
    It takes a lot of experience to react in a non instinctive manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

bumper234 wrote: »
    You are also extremely unlikely to attack someone for no reason.

Not because of my size. Because I'm a normal human being. Even if I was six foot tall, I wouldn't hit someone and knock them to the ground. Which is what both the 'aggressor' and the OP did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

sopretty, this was my first time I hit a girl and to be honest, if another girl decided to punch any of my female friends, I'd probably slap them in the face to cop the fúck on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭irelandrover

sopretty wrote: »
    Not because of my size. Because I'm a normal human being. Even if I was six foot tall, I wouldn't hit someone and knock them to the ground. Which is what both the 'aggressor' and the OP did.

Do you really not see the difference in the two acts?
    Randomly punching someone and then defending the person who was punched are completely different.

Why is aggressor in quotation marks? are you suggesting that hte person who threw the first punch is not the aggressor?

There is a wide range of normal in human beings...

• Advertisement

If your daughter was 18, If your daughter as in a night club with you, If someone attacked your daughter for no reason.....would you hit that person to protect your daughter from further attack?

No.

For a start, she is well reared, so would walk away. We're not an aggressive bunch. I would restrain as best I could, anyone trying to attack her, but even if I had the strength, I would not deliver a potentially lethal blow to whoever attacked her.

In any case, the OP wasn't trying to restrain the 'aggressor'. He just whacked her in retaliation.

Fair enough. Probably felt proud given his small stature, knocking down a 6 foot tall WOMAN. Definitely one to be proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

No.

For a start, she is well reared, so would walk away. We're not an aggressive bunch. I would restrain as best I could, anyone trying to attack her, but even if I had the strength, I would not deliver a potentially lethal blow to whoever attacked her.

In any case, the OP wasn't trying to restrain the 'aggressor'. He just whacked her in retaliation.

Fair enough. Probably felt proud given his small stature, knocking down a 6 foot tall WOMAN. Definitely one to be proud of.

Lol

How would she "Walk away" when she has just been knocked to the ground?
    How would you "restrain" someone who is attacking your child?
    Not every blow is "potentially lethal"

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

The passive aggressive digs aren't doing you any favours sopetty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭irelandrover

No.

I love this line. Anyone who has ever been randomly attacked is not well reared.

How would you restrain an attacker? You are only 5"4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...would I hit a woman. Say if she had a knife or gun ready to kill me.

I am aware that police now go to domestic fights with back-up to watch the female partners of these ( usually but not always male ) attacks.

Several policemen have been attacked seriously by women victims after they intervened and subdued the male attacker usually a partner.

Experience has shown them that a second police officer is needed to watch their backs and contain the woman victim and prevent an attack from her.

While I have never been put in the situation where I would be tempted to strike out at a woman I know and have seen times between my two parents where it came close to a fight. Dad had been hit several times and abused by my mother and she got it back verbally but never physically from my dad. I can say that in todays world they would have separated but they were given enough time to make up and ended their lives in good terms.

I have known people who did batter their wives and it is a sickening thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

No.

Wow, I certainly wouldn't make you in charge of an army. Someone taunts you and you just stand your ground. Someone shoots your soldier, you still stand your ground. Someone invades, you still fúcking stand your ground without doing anything? Not even retaliate :confused:

No.

Oooooh burn... ragging on his height? 5'10'' is pretty average not really small stature.
    You're losing your moral high ground now...

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

doolox wrote: »
    ...would I hit a woman. Say if she had a knife or gun ready to kill me.

I am aware that police now go to domestic fights with back-up to watch the female partners of these ( usually but not always male ) attacks.

Several policemen have been attacked seriously by women victims after they intervened and subdued the male attacker usually a partner.

Experience has shown them that a second police officer is needed to watch their backs and contain the woman victim and prevent an attack from her.

While I have never been put in the situation where I would be tempted to strike out at a woman I know and have seen times between my two parents where it came close to a fight. Dad had been hit several times and abused by my mother and she got it back verbally but never physically from my dad. I can say that in todays world they would have separated but they were given enough time to make up and ended their lives in good terms.

I have known people who did batter their wives and it is a sickening thing.

that's woman/wife beating though... the OP situation is totally different to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I'm 5.10 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

No.

Just come out and say it - you only care that it was a woman who was punched. The whiff of sexism in here.

Just come out and say it - you only care that it was a woman who was punched. The whiff of sexism in here.

Have wondered several times myself how much less outrage there would be if the tale was flipped and it was a large male who attacked another male and a female friend had punched the aggressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I'm still waiting for the punchline....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Complaining about sexism in a thread trying to justify scumbag behaviour? Mind you don't fall off your piebald pony.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Complaining about sexism in a thread trying to justify scumbag behaviour? Mind you don't fall off your piebald pony.

Not everyone sees protecting a friend as "scumbag behaviour".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Have wondered several times myself how much less outrage there would be if the tale was flipped and it was a large male who attacked another male and a female friend had punched the aggressor.

There probably wouldn't even be a thread on it and if there was it would be "you go girl"

• Advertisement

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I never once tried to justify that girl hitting the other girl, nor did i see anyone else :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

felling like i want to punch one of my female work colleges right now.
    i asked her last week to order something for a customer she said there is a backlog
    i said grand.

today the boss asks her she says nope didnt know anything about it.
    boss gives out to both of us.

then she rings me saying i didn't ask her even though I did.
    we get into the usual
    me: yes i did
    her: no you didnt

type thing then she starts F and Blinding and just says ok and hangs up.

has totally ruined the rest of my day.

what lesson did i learn?
    ask everything in an email

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i asked her last week to order something for a customer she said there is a backlog
    i said grand.

we get into the usual

tyoe thing then she starts F and Blinding and just says ok and hangs up.

That's why you use email for requests

i said grand.

we get into the usual

tyoe thing then she starts F and Blinding and just says ok and hangs up.

Have you heard of email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Dont do it, you could face serious assault charges, loose your job and potentially destroy your career.

Have you heard of email?
    yep use it all the time

but where a small shop and normally don't need to have to formally request.

the boss wasn't too bothered about it neither was i until she started ranting and raving

yep use it all the time

but where a small shop and normally don't need to have to formally request.

the boss wasn't too bothered about it neither was i until she started ranting and raving

No reason to punch her then I take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Oh Czarcasm is here now, everyone go say Three Hail Marys.

Just the one hail mary will do, least that's all it took by the OPs account of events anyway. I shudder to think how he'd have fared had his opponent been sober - picking bits of his teeth out of his testicles I'd imagine. That's why I advised earlier that he not make a habit of white knighting and he and his mate get the hell out of there instead. That's how you look after a mate.

On this occasion he got lucky the girl was on her own, because they're usually not!

No reason to punch her then I take it?

ah just needed to vent my rage and this thread appeared before me

• Advertisement

if she punched me first id punch her right back

Advertisement