Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    Now - Saucony Kinvaras. Next - Saucony Kinvaras. Next to next - I'm guessing Saucony Kinvaras. Having attempted to clear out my shoes and realising I have a problem (see attached) I'm thinking my running shoe choice is unlikely to change anytime soon. These bad boys keep me happy from 1mile to 50k! :)

Spot which ones you used in the 50k ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

13534627253_fb22bb117b_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

Had 3 pairs of Nike Run Free (2nd, 3rd and 4th editions). Made almost 2000km in them.

After that I was told that I have over-pronation and I selected Asics Gel-Noosa. They are neutral but compare to Nike Free provide quite a lot of support. Feet felt numb first week or two (probably because shoe isn't even close in flexibility to Nike Free). But my feet used to it and now I feel quite comfortable.

Still thinking to come back to minimalistic shoes. I've read that over-pronation doesn't really mean that you need a support. And that it is kinda also amortisation mechanism. Not sure how true was that article but I never experienced any problems with over-pronation and Nike Free...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

OgreSwamp wrote: »
    Had 3 pairs of Nike Run Free (2nd, 3rd and 4th editions). Made almost 2000km in them.

After that I was told that I have over-pronation and I selected Asics Gel-Noosa. They are neutral but compare to Nike Free provide quite a lot of support. Feet felt numb first week or two (probably because shoe isn't even close in flexibility to Nike Free). But my feet used to it and now I feel quite comfortable.

Still thinking to come back to minimalistic shoes. I've read that over-pronation doesn't really mean that you need a support. And that it is kinda also amortisation mechanism. Not sure how true was that article but I never experienced any problems with over-pronation and Nike Free...

My unsolicited advice.

You've had no issues running 2000km in a minimalistic, flexible shoe? No injuries whatsoever?

The last thing you need is to undo all that adaptation by going into a guidance shoe. Regardless of the advice you were given, your history should be taken into account too. The Noosa is not a neutral shoe. It is a guidance shoe specifically aimed at the triathlon market.

Now you have to decide which is worse. Wearing an unnecessary guidance running shoe or being mistaken for a triathlete :D

Thanks a lot for advice.

Unfortunately, it is about a year since I run last time in my Nike Free...
    I forgot about an injury which led me to have a 5 month break. I don't blame shoe there but my impatience. I was training for 10M to run it with 5:40 pace and finished with 5:00 pace. As result I had hip joint inflammation. I think it was purely lack of training. After that I gained 11kg of weight (was 85 now 96).
    Well.. now I kinda afraid to run Nike Frees, especially after those Asics. I hope to loose some kgs, run about 500km in those Asics and try to switch back to Frees (I spent almost 150eur for Asics Gel-Noosa while been in business trip, can't just left them aside :))

By the way, can you please tell me briefly what is a guidance shoe and what is special about triathlon shoes?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

By the way, can you please tell me briefly what is a guidance shoe and what is special about triathlon shoes?

Thanks!

Shoes are generally broken up into two categories neutral or guidance (often referred to as support but neutral shoes support too so I prefer being clear about the wording).

Guidance shoes - mild, moderate or motion control are the general breakdowns within this category and are used when someone is over pronating.

The Noosa is a triathlon specific shoe in so far as it is named after Noosa Triathlon in Australia it is loud, brash and colourful and usually comes with elastic lock laces in the box.

Most shoes aimed at the triahtlon market have a pull on loop at the heel & speed laces to speed transitions but it truth any runner will suit triathlon, we just like being different :)

Edit: I think I know why Claralara thanked that post, might have something to do with her love of all things triathlon ;)

That what I though, that any runner should suit triathlon and the real difference Gel-Nusa vs other running shoe - elastic lock laces (well I haven't used them yet, love colourful classic ones :))
    Thanks for the info anyway. I'll run this shoe for a while and then will try to switch back to my minimal shoes (hope to loose few kilos before that :))

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So...I've been wearing Sauycony Omni for the last 18 months, since starting running properly. First the 11's and then the 12's.

As I'm about half way through the second pair, about 250 miles in, I decided to look at another pair.

Anyway I went into AK and it became apparent that the support shoe was no longer suitable and that I should be looking at a neutral shoe.

Just goes to show that it is completely worth going into the shop rather than ordering online as my gait has apparently changed over time!

I ended up buying a pair of Brooks Ghost 6.

Has anybody used these before and do they have any opinions?

Going to order Nike Flyknit Racers tomorrow :)
    I've read that they are grand for anything 5K to Marathon and fell quite like Frees.
    I'm also thinking to order Hyperfeel for speed work. Anyone had an experience with those two?

I've also read recommendation to "save" Racers for racing day and speed work and do long runs in other shoes. Any advice why? And what can you recommend? Really like minimalistic shoes but I going to train for DCM later this year. So plan to run long runs 1:20-2:00h till Sep, and then will increase long runs. 40-50K on average during next 4-5 months (race once, sometimes twice a month).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Going to order Nike Flyknit Racers tomorrow :)
    I've read that they are grand for anything 5K to Marathon and fell quite like Frees.
    I'm also thinking to order Hyperfeel for speed work. Anyone had an experience with those two?

I've also read recommendation to "save" Racers for racing day and speed work and do long runs in other shoes. Any advice why? And what can you recommend? Really like minimalistic shoes but I going to train for DCM later this year. So plan to run long runs 1:20-2:00h till Sep, and then will increase long runs. 40-50K on average during next 4-5 months (race once, sometimes twice a month).

I keep my lightweight lower profile shoes for races and fast sessions, but from reading you're other posts on getting the Noosa, I'd be more inclined to dump that shoe and get a replacement (is that what you're going to use the Flynit Racers for?).

Priority wise, I would get the right shoe for standard training sessions, including long runs, and if going for a second pair, something lighter for quicker sessions and races.

My current lineup is almost all all Inov-8 shoes, numbers indicating weight in grams:-
    Road-X-Treme 178, 3mm drop, races and fast sessions on road or track
    Road-X 233, 6mm drop, most training sessions
    Road-X 255, 9mm drop, long runs only
    TrailRoc 245, 3mm drop, anything off-road or on rough paths
    Asics Track Spikes - have used these for some sessions and the improvement in grip on a track is great, will be using them over the 178s in future.

Currently thinking of ditching the 255s, and getting either a lightweight 6mm or a heavier 3mm drop shoe for most runs, and leaving the 233 as the long run only shoe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Major overhaul of my shoes in the coming weeks (for a few reasons: worn out being main one)

Currently the shoes I am wearing

Easy runs: Kinvara 3s
    Tempos : 2x Saucony Fastwitch (Still plenty of miles in both thankfully)
    Racers: Brooks t7s

Will be picking up the following over the next few weeks though

Saucony Kinvara 4s and Brooks Pure Drift
    Brooks ST5s
    New Balance RC5000

Interested in trying the New Balance as a resplacement for long track races hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Kinvara 5 out at the start of May, think I'll give them a go for the Derry Marathon.

Priority wise, I would get the right shoe for standard training sessions, including long runs, and if going for a second pair, something lighter for quicker sessions and races.

Well... I have pair of Nike Free Run v4. Not sure how good are they for really long runs. I did a bit over 30k runs in them (well, in v3) and they were ok. Do you think I can keep standard training in Frees or you'd recommend take something more traditional/cushioned?

BTW, any thought on Flyknit Hyperfeel? :)

Got a pair of Skechers Ultra Run last week in the outlets while I was in the US. (same model $80 in outlet vs $100 in retail store. Seriously cushy and comfy, seem quite grippy too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

adrian522 wrote: »

I ended up buying a pair of Brooks Ghost 6.

Has anybody used these before and do they have any opinions?

on my second pair of ghosts, had 5's and they hit their limit and i won a pair of 6's. love them, do all my long runs and some recovery runs in them. i don't think you'll be disappointed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, do you mind me asking what you do the rest of your runs in?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks, do you mind me asking what you do the rest of your runs in?

do my speed sessions and some of the shorter easy runs in a pair of brooks pureflow. lower drop, lighter shoe. love running in these but longer runs in the lower drop doesn't agree with my achilles, hence the ghosts.

have a pair of inov-8s x-233 as well, like running in those, but not used them much since getting the pureflow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Recently picked up a pair of New Balance 890v3 and must say I absolutely love them. They are light enough for racing but provide just enough cushioning in the heel to protect me from Planter Fasciitis which I have a history of...

Will be stocking up. Apparently the 890v4 is even lighter too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Anybody got much experience with the Mizuno Sayonara, is is a supportive as the elixir?

PaulieC wrote: »
    Got a pair of Skechers Ultra Run last week in the outlets while I was in the US. (same model $80 in outlet vs $100 in retail store. Seriously cushy and comfy, seem quite grippy too.

was up around Three Rock today in these. While they are super spongy, the relatively high stack height make them somewhat unsuitable for technical trails e.g. the rocky trail from the masts down alongside Ticknock forest. You could easily go over an ankle in these, so much so that I had to slow right down so I didn't bust myself.

• Advertisement

Anybody got much experience with the Mizuno Sayonara, is is a supportive as the elixir?

Yes & no is my reaction.

Nice and light, very flexible toe box, flatter than the Elxir at 10mm (Elixir pitched nicely onto the toes at 13mm) but IMO stiffer at the heel and through the wave plate.

Possibly a better shoe for longer runs due to the stiffer plate, but definitely lighter than the Elixir.

The trick I found was to stop expecting it to be the replacement for the Elixir because you just can't get that same feeling :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

What would be a good race shoe for someone like me who's daily trainer is the Brooks Ravenna 4. The Waterford marathon is the goal race at the moment. I've been looking at the pure cadence, st5 and the adidas tempo 5/6. I'm a forefoot striker. My shoes wear through under the ball of my foot with little or no wear on the heel. That's what makes me think I might be able to manage a lower profile shoe. I'd love to be able to have a lighter shoe that I could use for the track or tempo sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

2275491-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Brooks Pure Cadence 2

2275491-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Brooks Pure Cadence 2

Cool looking shoe. How do they perform?

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Cool looking shoe. How do they perform?

Nice shoe. I've a pair of them and they're light enough to race in yet cushioned and comfy enough for long runs. Last the average runner a lot, lot longer than an out and out racer will.

AKW wrote: »
    Nice shoe. I've a pair of them and they're light enough to race in yet cushioned and comfy enough for long runs. Last the average runner a lot, lot longer than an out and out racer will.

Have they good pronation support?

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Have they good pronation support?

Yes, but not in the traditional sense of the medial posting.

Brooks are making quite a few changes in how running footwear is being viewed. Not a bad indicator of their thought process here: http://talk.brooksrunning.com/2013/07/31/brooks-proposes-radical-shift-in-the-running-shoe-paradigm/

The Cadence has a pod the rectangular black thing opposite the yellow oval in the images below that when depressed (ie. your foot over pronates) it increases the surface area of the shoe base allowing better distribution of the landing energy.

Coupled with the lower ramp and more midfoot landing there is less ground contact time for the foot to pronate too much = less requirement for heavy posting.

Hope that makes sense?

Does. Thx! What's the damage for these?!

would it be too much to go from Ravennas to the cadence? They have a 4 millimetre drop don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Brooks PureFlow I'm wearing are awfully itchy.....like, no matter what pair of socks I wear my feet itch something fierce. Never had this problem with any other shoe.

Any ideas what's going on there?

Advertisement