Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Currently wearing the wave rider 17s which I am not mad about. Although lighter they feel a little clunky compared to the 16s and the sole is wearing out fast. 200 miles in and I will probably be changing them soon compared to 500 miles on the WR 16s and there is no sign of wear.

Bought the sayonara's a few weeks back and I like them so far, a bit stiffer than the WR and 3mm lower

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

Bought Nike Flyknit Trainer + and Racer. Difference is mostly in weight and Racer has a bit smaller drop (11mm vs 10mm). Still pretty high drop. Decided not to go into minimalistic shoes before I'll loose 10kg of weight.

Racers are just 160 grams, trainers about 210 if I'm not wrong.

Flyknit Trainer+
    Nike-Flyknit-Trainer-Squadron-Blue-Pink-Flash.jpg

Flyknit Racer
    77275.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Brooks PureFlow I'm wearing are awfully itchy.....like, no matter what pair of socks I wear my feet itch something fierce. Never had this problem with any other shoe.

Any ideas what's going on there?

wearing mine a lot and no problems whatsoever with itching. perhaps you;re allergic to some material they are using

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I went down to Elverys yesterday to get a new pair, and the assistant stood me up on that machine thingy, which deduced I am a slight over pronator.

Girl recommended to get either the Asics Pulse 5, with FootBalance insoles moulded to my feet (€50 extra for the insoles), or the GT2000's, both of which were on sale.

From my impression I got the feeling I was only a slight over pronator. Was just wondering would people think a pair of GT2000s be of any benefit? Was thinking of just going with the neutral Pulse 5's, without insoles.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

...Elverys...assistant stood me up on that machine thingy, which deduced I am a slight over pronator.

What machine thingy, a treadmill with a camera?

I wouldn't have huge confidence in Elvery's gait analysis- I'd have more faith in Amphibian King.

Either way, and FWIW, I'm a mild over-pronator and one of the shoes recommended in AK was the GT 2000. I didn't go with it in the end as I just got on better with one of the other shoes, Mizuno Wave Inspires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Was this elverys suffolk st? If so, I was in the shop when you were in there and there was some amount of waffle coming out of the sales assistant...

In my experience, from what I've overheard and seen, they aren't the most knowledgeable. However, the buy one get one half price deal is very good and their selection of shoes isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

I went in to the Elvery's in Letterkenny when I was bored one day, they said I was an overpronator (which I guess I am), and recommended Kayanos for me (even though I said I'd prefer a lightweight shoe).

Wouldn't really have much confidence in their expertise as a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭cullenswood

johnk123 wrote: »
    Was this elverys suffolk st? If so, I was in the shop when you were in there and there was some amount of waffle coming out of the sales assistant...

In my experience, from what I've overheard and seen, they aren't the most knowledgeable. However, the buy one get one half price deal is very good and their selection of shoes isn't too bad.

No, it was the one in Clerys....your one was very sincere and all that, but I think she could sense I wasn't buying into a lot of what she said

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

I am running in muzuno wave alchemy 12 and find them great, I need a new pair but can't seem to find them anywhere I think they have been discontinued. Can anyone recommended me a similar shoe? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I am running in muzuno wave alchemy 12 and find them great, I need a new pair but can't seem to find them anywhere I think they have been discontinued. Can anyone recommended me a similar shoe? Thanks.

The Wave Paradox is the straight replacement for the Alchemy. A lot lighter but with the same support. Try them on though, Mizuno have tweaked the fit on all their shoes and they feel differently initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

AKW wrote: »
    The Wave Paradox is the straight replacement for the Alchemy. A lot lighter but with the same support. Try them on though, Mizuno have tweaked the fit on all their shoes and they feel differently initially.

Thanks for that AKW I will pop into you soon and get fitted again and pick up a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Anyone have any opinion on the Brooks racer ST5? Is it enough shoe for a marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

I just broke in a pair of minimalist zero-drop Merrell Trail Glove 2 I bought during my trip to USA a couple of weeks ago. I wore them on Sunday morning to run up and down the Great Sugar Loaf and I can only say I'm glad to be writing these lines!!! Call it inexperience if you like but this is only my 2nd pair of trail shoes and I had never climbed the Sugar Loaf... Everything was fine until the rocky and foggy and wet last stretch of the climb. If scrambling up the last bit on four legs was hard and painful, climbing down was mental! I nearly kill myself several times. Luckily I survived with only a dozen bruises or so on my feet and some cuts. Just don't wear these shoes on such ground. I think they only have protection on the front of the shoe because landing on rocks midfoot was quite painful on my foot arch. "Otherwise" they felt great and had more than decent grip on grassy and earthy kind of ground. I think the Merrell will come in handy in the dry and clean trails of my holiday destinations. Still at about $50 on amazon.com with free shipping I couldn' resist...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Anyone have any opinion on the Brooks racer ST5? Is it enough shoe for a marathon?

I had planned to run manchester in them, but kept getting blisters on the long runs. Definitely enough cushioning and support.

Not too sure I'll wear mine again as the Skechers are much lighter and more flexible.
    But may make a purchase of another pair of racers. Just not sure which ones.

I had planned to run manchester in them, but kept getting blisters on the long runs. Definitely enough cushioning and support.

Cheers! Where did you get the blisters? I'm a forefoot striker and the longer the run the hotter the outsides of the balls of my feet get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Picked up a pair of Salomon Sense Mantra 2.
    The current pair are still very good at nearly 500miles with some life left in them, a few rips and toebox fold wear but otherwise can't fault them. That's a good price on them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Sorry if these are dumb questions and if I'm posting in the wrong place but here goes...

- Do racing shoes last as long as regular trainers? I have a pair of Brooks st5s. Do I get about 500 miles out of them?
    - Do they still make them? Are they the very same? I got them about 18 months ago I think and would like another identical pair.

thanks!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Sorry if these are dumb questions and if I'm posting in the wrong place but here goes...

- Do racing shoes last as long as regular trainers? I have a pair of Brooks st5s. Do I get about 500 miles out of them?
    - Do they still make them? Are they the very same? I got them about 18 months ago I think and would like another identical pair.

thanks!

Hi! As far as I can make out they are still the same shoe as the last couple of years just a new colour which is a mad blue and flourescent yellow. They look great actually! They have them in Amphibian King in Ashtown. It must be a good sign that a shoe is still being made. You see with most shoes that they are updated almost yearly but these seem to be on the go for at least three years now. I'm really tempted to get a pair for a marathon at the end of June. I've never had anything other than "training" shoes but would love to try these out as I'm told they have a good bit of cushioning as well as good support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Hi! As far as I can make out they are still the same shoe as the last couple of years just a new colour which is a mad blue and flourescent yellow. They look great actually! They have them in Amphibian King in Ashtown. It must be a good sign that a shoe is still being made. You see with most shoes that they are updated almost yearly but these seem to be on the go for at least three years now. I'm really tempted to get a pair for a marathon at the end of June. I've never had anything other than "training" shoes but would love to try these out as I'm told they have a good bit of cushioning as well as good support.

Great stuff thanks for that. Delighted to hear they're still the same. I love my current pair and agree about the cushioning. The only negative would be the ribbon-like laces which come undone very easily but they can be easily changed I guess. I think I'll get another pair while they're still the same just in case they change them. I wore them up to half marathon but didn't have the guts to wear them for full marathon. Colour sounds good.
    Any idea on what kind of mileage you'd get out of a pair?

Not really but a friend of mine who's 6' 3" and pushing 14 stone had a pair while training for the Waterford marathon last year and he wore them for the race. He was delighted with them and found them very durable. The white and yellow version is available on the millet sports website for €74 something while the new colour is €89. Not sure about shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Hi all,
    Has anyone tried Nike Flyknit Lunar 1+?
    I picked up a pair in Kildare village at the weekend. Really light, sole feels good.
    Took them out for a short run though and they were burning my achilles area. I stopped before blisters developed.
    Reading now across various forums and this is a common problem. Just wondering if anyone here has tried them, if so did you have this problem and if you were able to break them in?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 George Chinaglia

Yep, I have the Flyknit Lunar 1+, bought them after having Lunarglides and Puma Faas 300 and wanting something that could possibly combine the best of both.

They chafed slightly on my right heel on the first run but I made a couple of changes to them and they've been great since. First thing I did was to steam them (youtube it) which made them a bit snugger around my ankle. Second thing was to swap out the ribbon laces which just kept slipping for regular laces which just kept the shoe in place better.

Since then I've done a couple of hundred kilometres in them, including 5k/10k races and a marathon and they've been great.

I just wish Nike would stop bringing out different colourways every few months and making me want to buy new pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Panda.w

Hey!! At the monent i have a pair of Inov-8 Bare X Lite 155. I think there great, there nice and flat with a 3mm drop(used have shinsplints and as a result iv adapted a midfoot strike so i find the minimal drop very benaficial) and there very light. Iv had them for nearly 18 months now and the goodness is starting to go in them. Im not a running fanatic - 5to10km, once or twice a week on the road.

Im looking for something the exact same but with more ankle support just coming back from a broken ankle and i dont have as much confidence in the support as i used to (this could also be because of there age tho)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great :-)

Hey!! At the monent i have a pair of Inov-8 Bare X Lite 155. I think there great, there nice and flat with a 3mm drop(used have shinsplints and as a result iv adapted a midfoot strike so i find the minimal drop very benaficial) and there very light. Iv had them for nearly 18 months now and the goodness is starting to go in them. Im not a running fanatic - 5to10km, once or twice a week on the road.

Im looking for something the exact same but with more ankle support just coming back from a broken ankle and i dont have as much confidence in the support as i used to (this could also be because of there age tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Panda.w wrote: »

Inov-8 fan here so I've a few ideas...
    You could go with:-
    Road Xtreme 178, 3mm drop with a bit more cushioning underfoot.
    New Road Xtreme 198, as above but 6mm drop.
    Road-X 233, 6mm drop more heavy duty than the 155, 178 or 198.
    New Tri Xtreme 225, looks like a more heavy duty shoe but with a 3mm drop.

I have the 233 & 178, trying to decide if next shoe will be the 198 or 225.

If you're looking outside inov-8 I'll let others advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I got my gait done a good few years ago and they recommended nike peagus's, So those shoes wore out and I've been using vomero's 6 7 and 8, looking to get a new pair should I get my gait redone or just buy vomero 9s,
    Never had any problems with the runners, ie sore feet or blisters, my PF hurts for a few meters when I run up hill,
    Gait or not to gait,

Ordered a pair of st5's last weekend. Looking forward to their arrival. Should be here soon. I've been training in Ravennas and they've been brilliant. Best shoe I've ever had. Got the st5's to try something lighter but without sacrificing too much support. If all goes to plan they'll be my marathon shoe in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Took my takumi sens out onto the track last night. They were a little tight last week so I went sockless for 8 x 400. They're a revelation! Amazing levels of grip, they're extremely light and low. My new favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Adidas Energy Boost 2. Tried them out for the first time last night on a four mile easy run. V comfy. Snug, but not constricting, which I had feared when I first tried them on.

Advertisement