Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Got the ST5's eventually. So much lighter than I'm used to but am delighted with them so far. Did two ordinary 8 milers and a speed session in them. great amount of cushioning in them for a "racer" category shoe and the medial extra arch support is noticeable the moment you put them on. This gives a bit of peace of mind in that they'll be good for someone like me who's always ran in support shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Has anyone worn Saucony Grid Virratas? Like Kinvaras but with a zero drop. Seem to be good value at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Has anyone worn Saucony Grid Virratas? Like Kinvaras but with a zero drop. Seem to be good value at the moment.

I have. Slightly larger fit than Kinvaras but very comfortable with a bit of a thicker sock. I got them as I was looking for something a little different (maybe recovery-wise) for a few miles a week. I find the soles lovely and cushioned and the zero drop doesn't affect my gait at all. Calves were a tad tight the first few times I wore them but came around very quickly. If they're good value then I'd definitely recommend them for the stockpile!!

claralara wrote: »
    I have. Slightly larger fit than Kinvaras but very comfortable with a bit of a thicker sock. I got them as I was looking for something a little different (maybe recovery-wise) for a few miles a week. I find the soles lovely and cushioned and the zero drop doesn't affect my gait at all. Calves were a tad tight the first few times I wore them but came around very quickly. If they're good value then I'd definitely recommend them for the stockpile!!
    Cheers. Currently an extra 10% off on sportsshoes.com (code BA145), which makes 'em €53.86. I'm kind of looking for a racing-flat 'like' shoe with cushioning (I know a contradiction in terms), so might give them a lash. Exactly the same weight as the Kinvaras, so the only discernible difference seems to be the 0cm drop and softer cushioning. Might buy them as a general purpose shoe, and head to AK to try some racing flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cheers. Currently an extra 10% off on sportsshoes.com (code BA145), which makes 'em €53.86. I'm kind of looking for a racing-flat 'like' shoe with cushioning (I know a contradiction in terms), so might give them a lash. Exactly the same weight as the Kinvaras, so the only discernible difference seems to be the 0cm drop and softer cushioning. Might buy them as a general purpose shoe, and head to AK to try some racing flats.

Haven't experienced these, but sound like they would be 'too' cushioned for racing and you could lose the feel you would get from a firmer soled racing shoe like the A5. Probably fine if you're looking for a lightweight minimalist training shoe, but.... my 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Haven't experienced these, but sound like they would be 'too' cushioned for racing and you could lose the feel you would get from a firmer soled racing shoe like the A5. Probably fine if you're looking for a lightweight minimalist training shoe, but.... my 2c.

Yep I'd agree with that. I got them towards the end of DCM training last year as I really felt the soles of my feet needed some TLC on recovery runs. I blew some recent winnings on a pair of Type A6s last week and wore them for the first time in the SW 5 mile and then again at Bob Heff 5k on Tuesday. As a Kinvara wearer I think they're perfect for me with the same 4mm drop and very lightweight. Got .5 size bigger as they're a tighter fit. My first pair of racing flats and a good result / experience.

claralara wrote: »
    Yep I'd agree with that. I got them towards the end of DCM training last year as I really felt the soles of my feet needed some TLC on recovery runs. I blew some recent winnings on a pair of Type A6s last week and wore them for the first time in the SW 5 mile and then again at Bob Heff 5k on Tuesday. As a Kinvara wearer I think they're perfect for me with the same 4mm drop and very lightweight. Got .5 size bigger as they're a tighter fit. My first pair of racing flats and a good result / experience.
    Yeah, I wear the A5s for 5k distances (and may stretch to 10k), but I don't think they'll last 200 miles (and they're getting pretty close to that limit). The A5s I got were around 50 quid, but I'd find it hard to justify paying 100 squids for a pair of running shoes that is only good for 200 miles (50c a mile!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

As far as I remember Saucony referred to them initially as ''Not a racing shoe' in their marketing stuff

Yeah, I wear the A5s for 5k distances (and may stretch to 10k), but I don't think they'll last 200 miles (and they're getting pretty close to that limit). The A5s I got were around 50 quid, but I'd find it hard to justify paying 100 squids for a pair of running shoes that is only good for 200 miles (50c a mile!).

I've 120 mls on my A5's no noticeable sign of wear just yet, have raced to 10 miles no bother in them - 200 mls is a lot of racing (64 x 5ks - 1.36 a race :))

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Ran 11k in my new Brooks Ravenna 5's, nice and light and very comfortable, plenty of cushioning..I will see how the knees and ITB's feel after 20k !!!!
    Bought a second pair of Nike Pegasus 30 (Elverys half price deal) which I have to look forward to also !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Good luck with the Ravennas. I've had the Ravenna 4 since the beginning of the year and have put almost 700 miles on them. They're the best shoe I've ever had.

A little low cost experiment £30 in a sale, will take them for a spin next week.
    Anyone experience these?

14374947413_806f77b89e_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭PaulieC

A little low cost experiment £30 in a sale, will take them for a spin next week.
    Anyone experience these?

Look like Merrell Trail knockoffs. Don't go too far if you're not used to zero drop

PaulieC wrote: »
    Look like Merrell Trail knockoffs. Don't go too far if you're not used to zero drop

Do a chunk of running in 3mm / 4mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Despite the best advice of the internet, and Gary Crossan in Amphibian King, I decided to run Derry in my new Saucony A6's. They passed the test with flying colours, I have to say.

Do a chunk of running in 3mm / 4mm.

Personally I found a huge difference between 4mm and 0mm. For me, 0mm (nb mr00 shoe) is too tough on the calf muscles and a bit on the achilles, even after easing them in with short runs. 4mm I have no problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Have gone through 4 pairs of Mizuno Wave Inspires, just about to rotate in a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders now

glasso wrote: »
    Personally I found a huge difference between 4mm and 0mm. For me, 0mm (nb mr00 shoe) is too tough on the calf muscles and a bit on the achilles, even after easing them in with short runs. 4mm I have no problem with.

Had them on a 6.3 mile run, 80% off road with no drama.

Bought these half a size down as I wasn't sure if I'd wear them running or casually, but they're a very nice fit.
    Very comfortable with a very responsive / flexible sole and on all but very rough ground, offer good surface protection.
    A regular width fitting I would say, but didn't feel cramped at all.
    Not the lightest of minimalist shoes at 230+gms for my 9.5's, but don't feel heavy when wearing them.
    Overall for the price I'm happy out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

I was looking at getting some Sketchers GoRun 3 or some New Balance M1400 v2 but everywhere I look they are out of stock in my size (UK11).

I currently have Kinvara 3's, Adios Boost and Type A5. Any suggestions for places to look/alternatives for the shoes I am after? I am about to start another batch of marathon training and I think a motivational shoe purchase is in order.

I tried, Wiggle, Sportsshoes.com and the manufacturers site (Sketchers).

Thanks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Ordering off amazon.com, even with the customs hit, is a good deal cheaper than Sportsshoes for some stuff. You can get Kinvara 5s for 100 euro (with customs and shippnig included) rather than 125 on Sportsshoes, for instance. Think that'll be my next purchase (though they don't have the red and yellow ones that I wanted :( ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Just took delivery of a pair of nike vomero 8s, my 3rd pair of vomeros,
    Ordered them on sportshoes.com

ainsyjnr wrote: »
    I was looking at getting some Sketchers GoRun 3 or some New Balance M1400 v2 but everywhere I look they are out of stock in my size (UK11).

I currently have Kinvara 3's, Adios Boost and Type A5. Any suggestions for places to look/alternatives for the shoes I am after? I am about to start another batch of marathon training and I think a motivational shoe purchase is in order.

I tried, Wiggle, Sportsshoes.com and the manufacturers site (Sketchers).

Thanks ...

I've seen 2's knocking around for £40, are these 3's (UK 11 in stock), it doesn't say but I'm not too familiar with the brand: http://www.forrunnersbyrunners.com/en/Skechers-GOrun-Ride/m-853.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Got my hitogamis yesterday. Haven't road-tested them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

I've seen 2's knocking around for £40, are these 3's (UK 11 in stock), it doesn't say but I'm not too familiar with the brand

Thanks BB I wasn't aware if that site. They look like 2's as the 3 has a reflective flick near the little toe on the upper. It's the 3 I want as I had tried on a gorun 3 at vmlm expo, some people had issues with the 2's

I had a bad experience with some pure drift's I purchased off T'Internet after liking the pure cadence so i don't want another unused pair under the bed

I think I want the ride as they have more cushion than the gorun and I was going to use them for long runs, anybody have experience of both?

Adidas Adizero Primeknit - Adidas's woven shoe - has similarities to the Nike Flyknit but apparently quite different - anybody here given them a go?
    Needed a new pair of runners and saw them at a reasonable price on the adidas site and took the plunge - awaiting delivery....

http://www.adidas.ie/adizero-primeknit-2-shoes/M17419_650.html?pr=PR_product_rr

glasso wrote: »
    Adidas Adizero Primeknit - Adidas's woven shoe - has similarities to the Nike Flyknit but apparently quite different - anybody here given them a go?
    Needed a new pair of runners and saw them at a reasonable price on the adidas site and took the plunge - awaiting delivery....

http://www.adidas.ie/adizero-primeknit-2-shoes/M17419_650.html?pr=PR_product_rr
    Seems more like fashionware, than running gear, based on the description and the reviews.

Seems more like fashionware, than running gear, based on the description and the reviews.

well seems to have the same tech as adizero adios and it's about the same weight and the sole looks identical - except for the upper. I was thinking that I could use them as casual shoes after using them for running.

Another bargain bin minimalist experiment

WP_20140719_009.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Another bargain bin minimalist experiment

WP_20140719_009.jpg

Can't see owt

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Can't see owt