Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I know its still extremely early but I think the Brewers are legit (if you look at the 2014 predictions thread I tipped them to finish above the Pirates). I was genuinely surprised to see so many experts so down on them this year.

In the fantasy league I'm in with a few mates I took Lucroy ahead of Carlos Santana. I really like Lucroy and think he'll have a huge year. Khris Davis is another I really like also even if he hasn't been too hot yet.

Pitching wise I'm really high on Marco Estrada. He'll have an All-Star calibre year imo and then I'v good faith in the likes of Lohse as well. Really enjoying watching this Brewers team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

More to add to his Paul Bunion stories........the legend of Corky Miller continued as he blew a 57mph pitch past the batter to record a K in AAA

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=32073753&sid=t416

Photo leaked from Reds' dressing room prior to yesterdays game.....

cerrano.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Sure everyone takes 3 of the Red Sox these days....!!!

(sorry Milan, couldn't resist)

[shakes fist]

;)

I can only hope that when Pedroia, Middlebrooks and Victorino ... And Uehara ... Are back... It'll get better...

And sure, injuries now are better than injuries in September.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Some injury update:

Cervelli off to the DL
    Pedroia gets "great news" won't be on DL
    Uehara not going on DL either

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=10781396&city=newyork&src=desktop

http://bostonglobe.scribblelive.com/Event/Red_Sox_2014_season_updates/113327695

Oh and the Yankees are saying there's no way they'll sign Drew, as Boras is asking for too much. Sounds familiar:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=10781396&city=newyork&src=desktop

• Advertisement

Don't know what's in the water in Cincinnati

Scoring through 6....

Top 1: RBI single, Pirates 1-0
    Bottom 1: 2 Run homer, Reds 2-1
    Top 2: Back to back homers, Pirates 3-2
    Bottom 4: 2 Run homer, Reds 4-3
    Top 5: Back to back homers, Pirates 5-4
    Bottom 5: 2 Run homer, Reds 6-5
    Top 6: Back to back homers, Pirates 7-6
    Bottom 6: Sole homer, tied 7-7

That's 10 homers in 6 innings (Ballpark full game record already broken) and they're in a rain delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

More to add to his Paul Bunion stories........the legend of Corky Miller continued as he blew a 57mph pitch past the batter to record a K in AAA

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=32073753&sid=t416

Ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Don't know what's in the water in Cincinnati

Scoring through 6....

Top 1: RBI single, Pirates 1-0
    Bottom 1: 2 Run homer, Reds 2-1
    Top 2: Back to back homers, Pirates 3-2
    Bottom 4: 2 Run homer, Reds 4-3
    Top 5: Back to back homers, Pirates 5-4
    Bottom 5: 2 Run homer, Reds 6-5
    Top 6: Back to back homers, Pirates 7-6
    Bottom 6: Sole homer, tied 7-7

That's 10 homers in 6 innings (Ballpark full game record already broken) and they're in a rain delay.

I had a look this morning.. insanity

I had a look this morning.. insanity

Jobu must be over-doing it.........we'll start over again this afternoon, with a shortened double-header.

No rain, but temperatures 35 degrees lower than last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Jobu must be over-doing it.........we'll start over again this afternoon, with a shortened double-header.

No rain, but temperatures 35 degrees lower than last night.

10 home runs and Bartolo Colon wasn't even pitching!

• Advertisement

10 home runs and Bartolo Colon wasn't even pitching!

No.....but Homer Bailey was

Dare I say it........

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Ace Ventura living up to his name. Throwing bullets. I like him.

Pirates are sinking in the Ohio river.......

http://www.lamag.com/features/2014/04/13/escape-from-cuba-yasiel-puigs-untold-journey-to-the-dodgers

Interesting story about Puig's journey to America that's being talked about quite a bit on the US sports shows at the moment.

FEcking hell Strasbourg got smacked around by the Marlins last night, funny the Marlins seem to have his number over the past 3 years.

FEcking hell Strasbourg got smacked around by the Marlins last night, funny the Marlins seem to have his number over the past 3 years.

Strasburg is hard to figure out. One day he's brilliant the next, he gets hit all over the place. I know all pitchers have days when they don't have their stuff but it seems to happen more to Strasburg than the other elite pitchers.

Having said that, I'd still have him on my team in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

So it looks like the Astros are sick of been bad or are starting to worry about their bottom line and have called up George Springer. It will be interesting to see if this guy lives up to the hype!

Strasburg is hard to figure out. One day he's brilliant the next, he gets hit all over the place. I know all pitchers have days when they don't have their stuff but it seems to happen more to Strasburg than the other elite pitchers.

Having said that, I'd still have him on my team in a heartbeat.

Strasbourg needs to learn not to throw the heat so often. Thats what's killing him, trying to get ahead in the count throwing heaters is getting him hit all over the place.

On a side note. I'm excited to see Zach Walters hit his first Home run. Serious talent.

• Advertisement

Strasbourg needs to learn not to throw the heat so often. Thats what's killing him, trying to get ahead in the count throwing heaters is getting him hit all over the place.

Is that poor coaching, bad game calling by the catcher or is he on his own when it comes to pitch selection? Maybe the pitching coach needs to be more forceful in getting him to mix it up a bit more

Is that poor coaching, bad game calling by the catcher or is he on his own when it comes to pitch selection? Maybe the pitching coach needs to be more forceful in getting him to mix it up a bit more

I dont really know, to be fair to Strasbourg and the catcher the Marlins just looked like they could hit anything last night. But this is the third dodgy start Strasbourg has had this season and two of them havent been against good hitting teams, no offence to the Marlins or Mets but the Braves are just at an upper tier so occasionally you'll expect that to happen.

I hope he gets out of this habit though. We need him being an ace to lead this staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭boccy23

I dont really know, to be fair to Strasbourg and the catcher the Marlins just looked like they could hit anything last night. But this is the third dodgy start Strasbourg has had this season and two of them havent been against good hitting teams, no offence to the Marlins or Mets but the Braves are just at an upper tier so occasionally you'll expect that to happen.

I hope he gets out of this habit though. We need him being an ace to lead this staff.
    Mike Stanton had 5 RBI. (Always be Mike to me:D)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Nothing like sitting in on a pleasant evening with a bottle of wine and watching baseball, windows open with the smell of freshly cut crass wafting through the air.

Billy Hamilton just scored a run without a ball being put in play....

For any doubters of the new Reds manager......Joey Votto is batting .500 with 3 homers since the controversial decision to move him to the 2-hole on Saturday.

I think Cueto is healthy again......9IP, 0R, 3H, 12K

Reds win their first series of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Tanaka looked fantastic today. After last weeks discussion about him: that was an ace performance.

Bloody hell. back to back to back HR given up on Sunday. Now back to back HRs today.

The old guys (Colon and Valverde) showing why no one else wanted them

EDIT: but on the positive side, the Mets are over .500 for the first time since 24 April last year. Enjoy it while it lasts eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Bloody hell. back to back to back HR given up on Sunday. Now back to back HRs today.

The old guys (Colon and Valverde) showing why no one else wanted them
    True, Valverde especially cannot be trusted. Gee was good today, surprised he didn't get to finish the game. He didn't look injured or anything.

Great road trip, ye just need to bring that form home.

Advertisement