Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

MilanPan!c wrote: »

You know how I feel about bleacherreport. Sports journalism at its worst. So is it really "some in the New York media" or just some hack writing for an awful website?

* I didn't actually read the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭boccy23

Josh Hamilton out 6/8 weeks with the thumb after sliding head first into 1st base.

Pity. I was liking how he started and shutting up some of the haters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

boccy23 wrote: »
    Josh Hamilton out 6/8 weeks with the thumb after sliding head first into 1st base.

Pity. I was liking how he started and shutting up some of the haters.

Sliding into first .. so stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭boccy23

Sliding into first .. so stupid

Plus you would think that Hamilton would know better. He hurt his shoulder a couple of years ago when sliding into home (or was it3rd - cant remember even though I saw it live!:o).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Some in the New York press are already calling Tanaka the Yankees ace.

Apparently being an ace on the Yankees looks like this in 2014:

"In his first 14 innings, the 25-year-old with the $155 million contract has allowed six runs (five earned) on 13 hits with a robust 18-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio while facing two tough AL East competitors, both of whom finished among the top 10 in runs scored and among the top five in home runs last season."

13 hits in two starts... And that's an ace?

Even if I loved the Yankees I'd be worried if that the new standard.
    I think alot of teams would love to have a pitcher with a 18:1 K/BB ratio. He has been punished for a few bad pitches but he will learn soon enough what he can get away with and what he can't. Darvish's start in MLB was not as good and look how he turned out.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

You know how I feel about bleacherreport. Sports journalism at its worst. So is it really "some in the New York media" or just some hack writing for an awful website?

* I didn't actually read the article.

You should know by now that that article isn't necessarily on BR. I just use the mobile app and so all external links go through a BR link.

You should know by now that that article isn't necessarily on BR. I just use the mobile app and so all external links go through a BR link.

Just broke my golden rule and clicked on a BR link and this story is one of theirs. Written by their lead MLB writer apparently.

And it seems it is just him who is calling him the ace, not the New York press. But to be fair to him, he does qualify the statement at the end and back off the statement but it seems like a typical poor BR article to me.

Coeus wrote: »
    I think alot of teams would love to have a pitcher with a 18:1 K/BB ratio. He has been punished for a few bad pitches but he will learn soon enough what he can get away with and what he can't. Darvish's start in MLB was not as good and look how he turned out.

Suuuuure, but that goes back to the discussion we were having:

Is he doing better now that no one knows his stuff - a common prediction/claim

Or

Will he do better once he settles down.

All the strikeouts in the world won't help if you also give up seven hits per start and consistently give up HRs.

Just broke my golden rule and clicked on a BR link and this story is one of theirs. Written by their lead MLB writer apparently.

And it seems it is just him who is calling him the ace, not the New York press. But to be fair to him, he does qualify the statement at the end and back off the statement but it seems like a typical poor BR article to me.

The guy in question writes for ESPN as well. And the article is full of caveats and quotes, showing how the Yanks initially tried to claim they were paying 175M for a number three starter. A dubious claim at best.

But the way, here's the Post saying something similar:

"Then Tanaka delivered what might prove to be a trademark outing in his freshman Major League Baseball campaign: Not perfect, but competitive. Early turbulence, late correction. More than a few flashes of dominance.
    In all? Closer to a number one starter than a number three."

http://nypost.com/2014/04/10/tanaka-lives-up-to-glitz-surrounding-first-stadium-start/

Another few things to note are that Tanaka and Matsuzaka had about the same success (WHIP, ERA, Etc.) relative to the rest of the JPP. And most folks think Matsuzaka was over-valued at this point.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/masahiro-tanaka-japan-yu-darvish-pitcher-comparison-dice-k/

His strikeout to walk ratio, in the JPP was also less than half as good (4.5) as Uehara's was last year in the MLB (10.3).

http://guardianlv.com/2014/04/masahiro-tanaka-new-york-yankees-scouting-report-bomber-boulevard-video/

The guy in question writes for ESPN as well. And the article is full of caveats and quotes, showing how the Yanks initially tried to claim they were paying 175M for a number three starter. A dubious claim at best.

At the end of the day though, it's still just one guy's opinion. One guy who is not affiliated with the Yankees, their fans or the media in general in New York (he might or might not be NY based but the article is a national one). So while the topic of whether he's their ace yet or not is worth discussing, it's not like there's a big debate going around NY claiming one side or the other (yet!). To the best of my knowledge, most just see it as it is. A new pitcher with plenty of potential finding his way.

It seem there's just a Boston fan trying to get a dig in at the Yankees at any cost....!!!!

• Advertisement

But the way, here's the Post saying something similar:

"Then Tanaka delivered what might prove to be a trademark outing in his freshman Major League Baseball campaign: Not perfect, but competitive. Early turbulence, late correction. More than a few flashes of dominance.
    In all? Closer to a number one starter than a number three."

http://nypost.com/2014/04/10/tanaka-lives-up-to-glitz-surrounding-first-stadium-start/

Not really. Just giving his opinion on where he sees Tabaka now. He's not claiming he's their ace. He's just saying he's more a 2 than a 3. And again, that he has the potential to be a great pitcher.

Have you googled the NYDN or Times to try and find more mentions of Tanaka yet?

Not really. Just giving his opinion on where he sees Tabaka now. He's not claiming he's their ace. He's just saying he's more a 2 than a 3. And again, that he has the potential to be a great pitcher.

Have you googled the NYDN or Times to try and find more mentions of Tanaka yet?

He said more of a 1 than a 3. Not a 2.

1 being the staff ace.

He said more of a 1 than a 3. Not a 2.

1 being the staff ace.

I'm not going to spend the afternoon going back and forth of what a 1 or a 2 pitcher is as it's just a hypothetical thing anyway but IMO, closer to a one means you're not a one yet and as he's saying he's not a 3, I picked 2 as it's it the middle!

But as I say, all you really need to know is whether he's any good or not. And while he's hasn't proved it in MLB yet, he has the potential.

I'm not going to spend the afternoon going back and forth of what a 1 or a 2 pitcher is as it's just a hypothetical thing anyway but IMO, closer to a one means you're not a one yet and as he's saying he's not a 3, I picked 2 as it's it the middle!

But as I say, all you really need to know is whether he's any good or not. And while he's hasn't proved it in MLB yet, he has the potential.

I'd never argue that he doesn't have potential. Just that at this point people that see his current putting as proof of being an ace ... They're projecting.

I like him and more than any other Yankee I wish him well - genuinely - but he's not been amazing so far. IMO.

... They're projecting.

but he's not been amazing so far. IMO.

Of course they're projecting. That's what everyone does. Fans, media, scouts etc. When you don't have enough to make a definitive statement, you have to project.

And he's only had 2 starts remember. Hardly enough of a body of work to judge him as to whether he's the next Cy Young or not. It'd be like saying Grady Sizemore's made the best comeback since Lazarus because he's done ok in the first 10 games of April.

You should get a good look at this this weekend Milan. After he puts that 18:1 ratio on your boys!

You should get a good look at this this weekend Milan. After he puts that 18:1 ratio on your boys!

As long as he gives up seven hits and a homerun, we'll be grand.

That's the kind of ace I'm happy for the yanks to have! ;)

As long as he gives up seven hits and a homerun, we'll be grand.

That's the kind of ace I'm happy for the yanks to have! ;)

As he pitched last night, it'll be after the Boston series before he pitches again. So we'll have to wait until later in the season to see him throw his first perfect game in the US.

Strasbourg on the mound tonight funny thing is I think Williams is protecting him slightly by having him pitch against Miami rather than his scheduled start tomorrow against the Braves.

Strasbourg on the mound tonight funny thing is I think Williams is protecting him slightly by having him pitch against Miami rather than his scheduled start tomorrow against the Braves.

When you say his schedule start, is that his turn in the rotation? Because if they had a day off and everyone goes in order, it'll mean 6 days between starts. So maybe by skipping the number 5 guy, Strasburg stays on 4 days rest and pitches as normal.

• Advertisement

When you say his schedule start, is that his turn in the rotation? Because if they had a day off and everyone goes in order, it'll mean 6 days between starts. So maybe by skipping the number 5 guy, Strasburg stays on 4 days rest and pitches as normal.

It could be that fair enough. Just a conincidence then that they head to Atlanta tomorrow.

I think the team could do with a strong outing from Stras.

As he pitched last night, it'll be after the Boston series before he pitches again. So we'll have to wait until later in the season to see him throw his first perfect game in the US.

hahahaha... that would shut me up ;)

They're scheduled to meet 19 times during the season, so I think we'll all get what we want... to some degree :D

Crazy Uehara stats:

"Counting the postseason, Red Sox closer Koji Uehara has gone 40 games and 42.2 innings without issuing a walk. In his last 55 games, again counting the postseason, Uehara has a 0.30 ERA and 0.42 WHIP."

http://bostonglobe.scribblelive.com/Event/Red_Sox_2014_season_updates/112947885

For comparison, Mariano Rivera's best year was 2005, when his ERA was 1.38.

Crazy.

Nerves. Nerves. Aghh

Nerves. Nerves. Aghh

Only 1 game in April. No need to be biting off all the nails yet.

I think the team could do with a strong outing from Stras.

Striking out 12 and only allowing 1 run was a great effort last night.

Striking out 12 and only allowing 1 run was a great effort last night.

He was brilliant last night. Thankfully an early game so I got some proper sleep!

So the Yankees beat the Red Sox comfortably. Ironic that the Red Sox are now claiming Pineda had something on his hand given that Bucholz was pitching!

Ellsbury with a run and an RBI single. Interesting three games left, with a pitching advantage in each of them IMO I think the Red Sox should at least split the series if not win it

So the Yankees beat the Red Sox comfortably. Ironic that the Red Sox are now claiming Pineda had something on his hand given that Bucholz was pitching!

Ellsbury with a run and an RBI single. Interesting three games left, with a pitching advantage in each of them IMO I think the Red Sox should at least split the series if not win it

Disappointing outing from Buckholz - again. But better than last time. The real issue of course is the bats. Not pretty.

Saying all of that, JBJ is looking good, and there was some great defence on display.

Here's hoping they bounce back today.

• Advertisement

Disappointing outing from Buckholz - again. But better than last time. The real issue of course is the bats. Not pretty.

Saying all of that, JBJ is looking good, and there was some great defence on display.

Here's hoping they bounce back today.

Bats were not pretty last night alright. Pineda looked good again for the Yankees, thats a good comeback story as well.

Advertisement