Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obese person gets called obese, claims she's being bullied

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

professore wrote: »
    I don't think anyone's arguing against this point. The point is should you tell a complete stranger they need to lose weight? I don't think so.

Time to think so then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

professore wrote: »
    I don't think anyone's arguing against this point. The point is should you tell a complete stranger they need to lose weight? I don't think so.

My major point is society needs to push back and make Being obese unacceptable again especially in Younger people. The older generation cant or wont change. We can though change how we address obesity in children. It is not acceptable. We wont be able to fund treating obesity issues in the future if it keeps up. It's not rocket science eat less and exercise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Of course obesity has to be treated as a serious problem in society and steps need to be taken to reduce it's prevalence.

Being a dick isn't one of those steps. Telling random people they're fat and need to lose weight is not the answer, it's stating the obvious and it's being a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I tend not to tell obese people that they are obese as I consider it rude, ill-mannered and insensitive. Not sure if it's bullying or not to tell them, but I'll rule it out under the avoidance of the first three things I mentioned. It's also no-ones business apart from the person themselves. And I'm a skinny fcuker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

She's hardly a role model for young people. Teenage girls don't usually want to look like newsreaders. I have a teenage niece and her role models are whatever female singers are currently in the charts. I can't imagine her watching the RTE news and saying "I'd really love to look like Anne Doyle".

• Advertisement

A thought, a post says that the average Irish Woman is size 16.

Just now I remembered my [then pregnant] wife could not even find size 14 a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Do we really think obese people need to be told they're obese ? Are we under the impression they don't know they're obese? Seriously they're fat, not retarded. I'm sure they know what they're doing to themselves and the effects it's having on them. I would imagine obesity slaps you in the face several times a day reminding you of your stature. Some people genuinely don't care about their size, and would rather live large, others are stuck in a cycle of eating for comfort, others have medical or psychological conditions. But I would imagine most have friends or family members who will talk to them about their health problems, from a genuine caring perspective. What we don't need is dogooders, going round informing strangers of something they probably already know.

TL:DR - see a fatty ? STFU and mind ya own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Obesity is medically defined.

So if she meets the definition, then she is obese. No two ways about it.

Saw a girl no older than 16 buying 6 easter eggs in Tesco. I'd say she was easily 15 stone. Something seriously wrong there.

Not really! Perhaps she has 6 siblings or is buying Easter eggs for 6 of her friends. Why were you counting items in other peoples trolleys anyway? That is slightly odd behaviour in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Tall person gets called tall .
    Small person gets called small ....
    Not bullying , maybe it's not what you want to hear but on one occasion it certainly doesn't constitute as bullying .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Overweight people can lose weight but dickheads are usually dickheads for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

There's no diet for a bad attitude...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Do we really think obese people need to be told they're obese ? Are we under the impression they don't know they're obese? Seriously they're fat, not retarded. I'm sure they know what they're doing to themselves and the effects it's having on them. I would imagine obesity slaps you in the face several times a day reminding you of your stature. Some people genuinely don't care about their size, and would rather live large, others are stuck in a cycle of eating for comfort, others have medical or psychological conditions. But I would imagine most have friends or family members who will talk to them about their health problems, from a genuine caring perspective. What we don't need is dogooders, going round informing strangers of something they probably already know.

TL:DR - see a fatty ? STFU and mind ya own business.

And an intellectually disabled person might well tell you STFU for your use of a word that causes them great offence.

I wouldn't though, because I'm not a "do-gooder". I think it's nice that you'll defend fat fcuks while making little of intellectually disabled people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Czarcasm wrote: »
    And an intellectually disabled person might well tell you STFU for your use of a word that causes them great offence.

I wouldn't though, because I'm not a "do-gooder". I think it's nice that you'll defend fat fcuks while making little of intellectually disabled people.

Circular irony. Go you.

Do we really think obese people need to be told they're obese ?

Yes. It's not unlike the eating disorders where people can stave themselves to death.

You look normal to yourself, 30 years ago I got a hint from a small child as she said, "look at that fat daddy" and her parents quickly shut her up.

Rightly so, IMO. But that child was right allthesame.

In the hospital after my surgery I had three nurses attending me and they were very worried that they could not lift me back into the bed if I fell out ~ what? what?

But they were right too.

TBH, I'm still in denial looking at some of my old photos of myself ~ I can NEVER remember being that gargantuan size.

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I have a normal range BMI and think people who believe that the weight of random strangers is any of their business are dicks.

So you think being obese is acceptable ? Therefore it must be acceptable for them to stuff their children full of processed poison. Can small children of obese people say I don't want the frozen pizza I want a salad instead. The same people coming to the obese peoples aid may change their tune in the future when they have to foot the bill for their medical problems. Same if the hospital trolleys are overflowing with obese people and they cant get a bed for a condition not of there own making.

The same people coming to the obese peoples aid may change their tune in the future when they have to foot the bill for their medical problems. Same if the hospital trolleys are overflowing with obese people and they cant get a bed for a condition not of there own making.

I'll have to foot the bill for your medical treatment if you have a car accident too. Can you please stop driving a car?

I'll have to foot the bill for your medical treatment if you have a car accident too. Can you please stop driving a car?

Ok if you can tell me that over eating to the point of being obese is an accident as well.

So you think being obese is acceptable ? Therefore it must be acceptable for them to stuff their children full of processed poison. Can small children of obese people say I don't want the frozen pizza I want a salad instead.

That is all highly melodramatic. I don't think weight necessarily affects ability to parent. There are plenty of parents who are within a normal weight range who 'stuff' their children with 'processed poison'. It's OK for skinny people to do this? Perhaps this is an issue with the quality of food that is widely available rather than the ability of people with weight issues to parent?

That is all highly melodramatic. I don't think weight necessarily affects ability to parent. There are plenty of parents who are within a normal weight range who also 'stuff' their children with 'processed poison'. It's OK for skinny people to do this? Perhaps this is an issue with the quality of food that is widely available rather than the ability of people with weight issues to parent?

You rarely see obese children with thin parents and siblings. But you almost always see obese children with obese parents and obese siblings.

• Advertisement

You rarely see obese children with thin parents and siblings. But you almost always see obese children with obese parents and obese siblings.

Other peoples weight is really not your business.

Absolutely it is, anyone who is paying tax now, fixed me thank you, and anyone in the future will be paying ten or twenty time more tax on top of the personal health insurance.

It's society's business, Why do you see adds on the Irish TV telling you how to stop your children becoming obese ?

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Absolutely it is, anyone who is paying tax now, fixed me thank you, and anyone in the future will be paying ten or twenty time more tax on top of the personal health insurance.

Tax pays for loads of things that people are not really going to want to pay for if it's broken down and spelt out to them. I am not sure why this particular issue seems to be the the bandwagon all the busybodies love to jump on while peering judgementally into the supermarket trolleys of total strangers.

Tax pays for loads of things that people are not really going to want to pay for if it's broken down and spelt out to them. I am not sure why this particular issue seems to be the the bandwagon all the busybodies love to jump on while peering judgementally into the supermarket trolleys of total strangers.

People do the exact same to people who smoke but that seems to be acceptable.

Tax pays for loads of things .

for now, already smokers are running the risk of not being treated, in my case, the surgeon was delighted that I was a non smoker [20 years off smoking] so he, HE WAS going to operate on me.

You face your God, or Allah prior to the operating theater. Tax, PAYE or insurance does not come into it at that moment.

I don't think much of any proselytising busibodies, but this thread is about weight not smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Approaching / emailing complete strangers and telling them that they should be worried about their smoking/obesity/whatever?

One in a million chance that this will have any kind of positive impact on the person who was contacted, regardless of how well-intentioned it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You can look away from a fat person. Smokers are always smelly. You can't look away from a smell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Candie wrote: »
    Like hell I can, but it's okay to tell a fat person they're fat (like they don't know), because fat is ugly in a way the other things aren't, and THAT'S what the hate dressed up as calling a spade a spade, or telling it like it is is really all about.

Bingo.

Advertisement