Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obese person gets called obese, claims she's being bullied

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I'm not sure where all these obese children are that we hear about constantly. I can't think of one child in my son's school who is obese. Certainly none in the junior classes are anyway. Today we went to a very busy family activity/picnic venue and I didn't see any obese children.

BMI children should not have layers of fat equivalent to an adult. Peoples perception of what is overweight these days is way off. I'm sure most people can remember when they were young been as thin a a rake. Puppy fat on babies yes but not on children over 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I'm not sure where all these obese children are that we hear about constantly. I can't think of one child in my son's school who is obese. Certainly none in the junior classes are anyway. Today we went to a very busy family activity/picnic venue and I didn't see any obese children.
    Agreed. Seems a kinda bandwagon thing to say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Peoples perception of what is overweight these days is way off.
    While yes there is a fair bit of scaremongering/moral panic among the chattering classes, I'd agree with this in a big way. We saw/see it in the US of A, where clearly fat kids and adults have somehow become closer to the norm. EDIT I was channel hopping this morning and fell on that Discovery channel show about gold miners in Alaska(whose name escapes) and being kind, about a third were fat, nigh on obese. We're behind that curve(no pun), but it's here, or is coming here soon enough.
    I'm sure most people can remember when they were young been as thin a a rake.
    Just from my own experience, I look back on school photos and memories and the "fat lad" in our class was stocky, with a rounded face at most. The rest of us where varying levels of thin(back in the 70's/80's). A couple of years ago, a mate of mine whose kids go to the same school as we once did, showed me a pic of his kid's class and while it wasn't near "1 in 3" overweight kids, it was quite a noticeably different spread of weight and mostly upwards.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Agreed. Seems a kinda bandwagon thing to say.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexfordpeople/news/childhood-obesity-facts-and-figures-27730064.html

And the 1 in 3 is more general population

Advertisement