Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obese person gets called obese, claims she's being bullied

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

It's society's business, Why do you see adds on the Irish TV telling you how to stop your children becoming obese ?

For pretty much the same reason that TV advertisers touted smoking as being healthy, relaxing and sophisticated (in the 50s and 60s) and early Coca-Cola ads saying that it was a healthy refreshing elixir and earlier it was marketed as a patent medicine, claiming it would get rid of fatigue and headaches.

Are you one of these people that believes what the TV ads say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    For pretty much the same reason that TV advertisers touted smoking as being healthy, relaxing and sophisticated (in the 50s and 60s) and early Coca-Cola ads saying that it was a healthy refreshing elixir and earlier it was marketed as a patent medicine, claiming it would get rid of fatigue and headaches.

Are you one of these people that believes what the TV ads say?

Strawman would you discount an advertisement about water safety saying "Boil all tap water in your area" I assume you would ignore that as all TV advertisements are incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Just now I remembered my [then pregnant] wife could not even find size 14 a few years ago.

Complete bullshít.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

endacl wrote: »
    You can look away from a fat person. Smokers are always smelly. You can't look away from a smell.

Obese people can smell too, and the aroma is awfully more pungent than the smell of smoke.

Of course athletes/gym goers also smell after exercise, I would also imagine people without regular access to a shower would also smell, should we castigate them too? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Also, on topic being obese is clearly a problem but as my sibling with an obese girlfriend says "She knows she's fat, I don't need to tell her". Basically, whatever good intentions the guy had with beating his own obesity, the woman clearly knows she has a problem, and being reminded of it won't solve it.

One of my close relatives is obese and asthmatic, I would never ever bring it up. They already feel bad enough themselves about it and don't feel like changing. I'll be there to support a change if they decide to implement one. That's all you can really do when it comes to obesity.

You can help but never advise or proselytise. It's like any problem, you have to let people get there on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Any pics of her obese boobs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

People do the exact same to people who smoke but that seems to be acceptable.

Smokers directly impact the health of those around them.

I never heard of anyone getting fat by sitting in close proximity to a fat person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Smokers directly impact the health of those around them.

I never heard of anyone getting fat by sitting in close proximity to a fat person.

Fat people increase healthcare costs for everyone

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Fat people increase healthcare costs for everyone

So do drinkers, smokers. What's your point? Are we allowed be dicks to people for increasing healthcare costs now or something?

So do drinkers, smokers. What's your point? Are we allowed be dicks to people for increasing healthcare costs now or something?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Yes.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Fat parents with fat children.

Well done.

You're welcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Can I go up to someone who lost a leg to diabetes and point out that they're an amputee? It fits some people's definition of acceptable because A: it's true and B: it's a result of their diet.

How is pointing out (in a private email) to someone in the public eye that a liftstyle that is killing the person is one that they should reconsider "being a dick"?

What about when George Best was drinking himself to death?
    Nobody should have said a word?
    Nobody should have said "Drinking to excess is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain"?

What about when Amy Winehouse was killing herself with drugs?
    Nobody should have had a private word and said "taking drugs is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain"?

Were the people that tried to help George and Amy "being dicks"?

mathie wrote: »
    How is pointing out (in a private email) to someone in the public eye that a liftstyle that is killing the person is one that they should reconsider "being a dick"?

Nobody should have said "Drinking to excess is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain"?

Nobody should have had a private word and said "taking drugs is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain"?

Everybody that tries to give people a nudge in the right direction, for the betterment of society as a whole, is a dick apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Everybody that tries to give people a nudge in the right direction, for the betterment of society as a whole.
    This is either a massive case of delusion, or the worst excuse ever.

"I tell people they're too fat for the good of society."

Perhaps a fat tax would help curb the mass amounts of obesity in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Perhaps a fat tax would help curb the mass amounts of obesity in this country.

It does not stop us smokers when they keep piling on more and more tax on a pack of cigarettes

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It does not stop us smokers when they keep piling on more and more tax on a pack of cigarettes

Stopped me! I've saved a fortune.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

endacl wrote: »
    Stopped me! I've saved a fortune.

:D

congratulations thats a great achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I think the tipping point for ciggies being legal or not will be when the health care cost is more than the revenue generated from customs and duty.

Because it's none of your business. How are you unable to grasp that little fact? You seem to think that once something is said in private that it's okay to say what you want to who you want. Do you think you're enlightening an obese person by sending them an email to tell them they're obese?

If a total stranger went up to these people while they were very clearly battling their addictions to tell them that they made one of the "worst choices a person can make" then not only would they be a total dick head they'd also be a patronizing arsehole.

But I'll be sure the next time I'm on a night out to have a private word with anyone I see with a pint or a joint or a cigarette in their hand, just to let them know that their lifestyle is killing them. Because apparently, that's not being a dick.

I wonder if someone were to post a thread in PI saying that they see a person on the bus everyday who is really overweight, they don't know this person but they really want to tell this person that they're overweight and they should really do something about it.

Now, I wonder what kind of advice that person would get?

1. Take the person aside and privately let them know in polite and sensitive language that they're overweight and should probably make more of an effort to lose it, or better yet, try and get that persons email address so you won't have to do it in person.

2. Mind your own business.

Personally, I'm going to say that the unanimous advice given would be No. 2, along with a fair amount of abuse for being such an arsehole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

"We don't like to be called FAT"

"Well then you should have stayed at home"

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

has it not crossed your minds that the government WANT us to smoke, they want us to be fat and unhealthy and they want us to drink. they keep all these things legal because they absolutely RAKE it in off the peoples illnesses. Big Pharma/Government all the one, and they are killing us to line their own pockets. it's the same reason they wont legalise weed - would have us all healthy and not dying and giving them money to stay alive.

smoke weed and stay healthy!

Because it's none of your business. How are you unable to grasp that little fact?

As someone else said before it's societys business.
    Why does the government advertise and promote against obesity, drug taking, drinking to excess?
    Because they're bad for society.
    Healthcare costs are skyrocketing for a reason.
    You seem to think that once something is said in private that it's okay to say what you want to who you want.

I never said it's okay to say "what you want to who you want" so please don't put words in my mouth.

It's called Freedom of Speech and it's part of society.
    If you don't like what someone says then ignore it.
    If its hate-filled racism then report it.

But there's nothing to stop someone emparting advise on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

A newsreader is not a role model for healthy eating etc. Her weight is irrelevant to her ability to read the news and is none of anyone's business, except maybe her family and Doctor. I did always think it was inappropriate for Gerry Ryan to be hosting Operation Transformation though (although I didn't watch it, for all I know he could have been doing it himself?)

As someone else said before it's societys business.
    Why does the government advertise and promote against obesity, drug taking, drinking to excess?
    Because they're bad for society.
    Healthcare costs are skyrocketing for a reason.

So why don't you have "private words" with people you don't know? Why don't you privately tell that smoker/drinker/fat person that they should stop drinking/smoking/eating so much? Is it because, like normal people, you realise it's a dickish thing to do? Or is it because you're a coward?
    I never said it's okay to say "what you want to who you want" so please don't put words in my mouth.

It's called Freedom of Speech and it's part of society.
    If you don't like what someone says then ignore it.
    If its hate-filled racism then report it.

But there's nothing to stop someone emparting advise on others.

I never said there was anything to stop someone doing it, I'm saying telling a total stranger they're fat and should lose weight is being a dick of the highest order. I think this is pretty irrefutable.

• Advertisement

So why don't you have "private words" with people you don't know? Why don't you privately tell that smoker/drinker/fat person that they should stop drinking/smoking/eating so much? Is it because, like normal people, you realise it's a dickish thing to do? Or is it because you're a coward?

I wouldn't do it because I think most people wouldn't listen and because they know the harm they're doing to themselves anyway. They know the risks.
    I never said there was anything to stop someone doing it, I'm saying telling a total stranger they're fat and should lose weight is being a dick of the highest order. I think this is pretty irrefutable.

Opinions aren't irrefutable.
    They're opinions and everybodys got one.

Advertisement