Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obese person gets called obese, claims she's being bullied

Options
  • 14-04-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-19822407
    A video message from US local news anchor Jennifer Livingston responding to a viewer who said she was obese has gone viral online.

In her broadcast from La Crosse, Wisconsin, Ms Livingston urged young people struggling with their weight, skin colour or sexuality not to let their sense of self-worth be "defined by bullies".

Last week, Ms Livingston had received an email from a viewer who wrote, "obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make", and suggested she was not a good role model for young girls.

Is she right? Can we all just let ourselves go and then shout "Bully!" if someone comments?

Can a junky now claim he's being bulled if he's called a junkie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Fatty Fatty Bom-Batty.

Actually, isn't that video old?

Yeah, October 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

October 2012? Finger on the pulse there OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

The email that was sent to her is well articulated and put across imo. Dead right, claiming she's being bullied is bullshít.

Sending an email stating she's a fat bítch and should lay off the donuts would be bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Link obviously found on http://archive.org/web/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It'd be lovely if everyone could just not be cnuts. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Her weight is her own business and no one else's.

If someone came into/contacted my place of business to comment on my weight I'd tell them to fúck off. It IS a form of bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

That's not bullying FFS. Bullying is continuous, not one isolated event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Cienciano wrote: »
    October 2012? Finger on the pulse there OP

It was on the Most watched section on BBC News.

They blatantly Rickrolled me.

If someone came into/contacted my place of business to comment on my weight I'd tell them to fúck off. It IS a form of bullying.

Is your business being in the public eye and somewhat of a role model for others?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

I seen a huge fella get 3 tesco brand birthday cakes with his shopping the other day.
    I wish I lived in a world where it would have been acceptable for me to take them off him and tell him he would thank me for it one day.

• Advertisement

jane82 wrote: »
    I seen a huge fella get 3 tesco brand birthday cakes with his shopping the other day.
    I wish I lived in a world where it would have been acceptable for me to take them off him and tell him he would thank me for it one day.

I don't think so man, I'd say his 3 friends birthdays would have been a bit shít without them

That's not bullying FFS. Bullying is continuous, not one isolated event.

Case closed. AH-style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Obesity is medically defined.

So if she meets the definition, then she is obese. No two ways about it.
    jane82 wrote: »

Saw a girl no older than 16 buying 6 easter eggs in Tesco. I'd say she was easily 15 stone. Something seriously wrong there.

GenieOz wrote: »
    Is your business being in the public eye and somewhat of a role model for others?

Relevance? A fat person cannot be a good roll model now, is that it?

Quick, someone tell Oprah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Saying ANYTHING is offensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

By that logic it's OK call a black person a ****** - a mispronounciation of negro? A disabled person a retard? A short person a dwarf?

No it isn't OK, since the assholes doing it are doing it in order to cause hurt and pain to the other person in order to make themselves feel better since they themselves are pathetic sad excuses for human beings and without exception end up as failures in life. What's worse though are the hangers on these types of people always attract. Too scared to bully themselves but still allowing it to happen by standing by the bully.

Why not befriend the obese person and make them feel better about themselves, and in time they might have enough self esteem to actually eat less?

Disclaimer : I'm not even fat.

Obesity is medically defined.

So if she meets the definition, then she is obese. No two ways about it.

Well done on stating the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The twist?

People started harassing the guy who wrote the letter so all she did was cause someone to actually be bullied for sending in a concerned letter.
    He didn't call her fat, he called her obese.
    The guy himself said he was obese when he was younger and struggled with his weight, so he was just concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

She's a newsreader. Her job is to read the news, not act as a role model. Not that being overweight should exclude somebody from being a role model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

I'm sure I read this story years ago. Livingstone, if I remember rightly, is more cuddly than obese. But cuddly here could be obese in Ireland.
    My answer to the question is, if you can catch the person that called you obese you should hold them down, explain what emotional intelligence is and then sit on them for an hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

fats fine until you're in your 50's...then stop being fat or you will die horribly.

professore wrote: »
    By that logic it's OK call a black person a ****** - a mispronounciation of negro? A disabled person a retard? A short person a dwarf?

Nope. They used the word "obese" which isn't a derogartory word.
    All the examples you use are derogatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

What she actually said is don't let your self worth be determined by bullies.
    Fair play. She is right.

Ah, Oprah, the woman who has yo yo dieted her entire life and damaged her body through it beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I'm just shocked she actually went public with it. She should have said nothing about it, and comparing it to abuse people may get due to skin colour, sexuality etc... was a bit ridiculous to say the least.

Ah, Oprah, the woman who has yo yo dieted her entire life and damaged her body through it beyond belief.
    WTF does that matter and what business is it of yours?

Is she a bad person because she's a yo yo dieter? Does that take away from the millions she's given away and the countless people that she's helped?

Don't be so fúckin' judgemental, we can't all be as perfect as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

I'm just shocked she actually went public with it. She should have said nothing about it, and comparing it to abuse people may get due to skin colour, sexuality etc... was a bit ridiculous to say the least.

In a sense you are right, people can change being obese but can't change their sexual orientation or skin colour.
    I still think what she said is right, don't let your self worth be determined by bullies.
    Change your weight because you want to or because you need to or because it makes you unhappy. Don't change your weight because other people think you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

There are a whole lot of pun-tastic jokes one could make but one wouldn't like to be labelled a bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

So, if someone is judgmental it is OK to call them judgmental, but if they are obese................

Re the OP, bullying is dependant upon intent - it was not the persons intent to hurt, but to advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I really don't understand how obese people let themselves go like that. It's not that hard to put down the mars bar

Advertisement