Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Swiwi. wrote: »
    He coulda' been a contender [for greatest AB TH prop], instead of a Toulonite, which is what he is - let's face it, Yeah_Right.

(with apologies to Marlon)

Now all he has is the farm in NZ and quite a healthy bank balance . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Morf wrote: »
    Now all he has is the farm in NZ and quite a healthy bank balance . . .

To be fair, he could have had that if he stayed in NZ. Possibly a not as healthy bank balance but he still could have gone to France or Japan later in his career.

I think he opted for the less stressful choice after 07. He never was a guy who loved attention, positive or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He coulda' been a contender [for greatest AB TH prop], instead of a Toulonite, which is what he is - let's face it, Yeah_Right.

(with apologies to Marlon)

If he had won a world cup I think he would have been our greatest TH. Now he has to settle for just being in the discussion.

And I know that hurts him more than anything. Whatever his bank account and various other achievements :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

aimee1 wrote: »
    I thought hayman spent a few seasons in england before going to france? Wages in SH are low by comparison to the money on offer in NH outside of a few big names. Could be wrong but the population of the tri nations countries combined is lower then the french population alone? Basic economics.

SA has almost as many people as France but the percentage who would be rugby fans and have any disposable income would be rather low.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

SA has almost as many people as France but the percentage who would be rugby fans and have any disposable income would be rather low.

I hate to bring up race but there are about 4.5 million White South Africans. It wouldn't be a stretch to say the majority of SA rugby fans are white, as far as I know football/soccer is much more popular in the coloured and black communities. Plus the Rand is ridiculously weak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

hahashake wrote: »
    To be fair, he could have had that if he stayed in NZ. Possibly a not as healthy bank balance but he still could have gone to France or Japan later in his career.

I think he opted for the less stressful choice after 07. He never was a guy who loved attention, positive or negative.

For what it's worth, one of the girls from my res at uni scored the man on a night out. He wasn't an AB then, though, so minimal bragging rights for the lady in Q.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

razorblunt wrote: »
    Edinburgh lock Sean Cox is joining London Irish next season.
    That's a big loss for Edinburgh, he was pretty much their pack leader and was always very vocal during games.

I don't know if he's been injured or what but he hasn't really played that much for them this season. The Rabo site has him down as 3+5 for this season and I think he only played in 2 HEC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

For what it's worth, one of the girls from my res at uni scored the man on a night out. He wasn't an AB then, though, so minimal bragging rights for the lady in Q.

This made me laugh, not because of the story (although that's good) but because I mostly see you as a quite mature poster (probably because you're an expat which brings a level of maturity usually) and use of the word score just feels out of character. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

errlloyd wrote: »
    This made me laugh, not because of the story (although that's good) but because I mostly see you as a quite mature poster (probably because you're an expat which brings a level of maturity usually) and use of the word score just feels out of character. :D

We all were young once...we are talking the late 90s here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

We all were young once...we are talking the late 90s here...

Late 90's? Quite spry for your age aren't you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Despite their precarious position in the top 14, Oyonnax have signed Soane Tonga'uiha from Racing along with a couple more.
    http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/transferts/2014/oyonnax-devoile-cinq-recrues-dont-tonga-uiha_sto4200053/story.shtml

Tonga'uiha has been an atrocious signing for Racing, Mujati too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Interesting, that move was never even rumoured. Mad to think Tonga'uiha could be playing in ProD2 next year.

Hosea Gear will leave Toulouse for a second division club in Japan, after it seemed he was going to return to NZ to push for a World Cup spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Tonga'uiha and Mujati were hugely dependent on Hartley for their scrum abilities. He was central to it. I'm sure people remember in the 2011 HEC final when Mujati went off and the Saints scrum promptly destroyed Leinster still with the sub prop. Hartley used attack the tighthead and drive upwards. I can't explain the failure of Tonga'uiha to make an impact with the ball in hand though where he was formerly superb.

Mujati has been benching lately, he might stick around. Tonga'uiha hasn't been in the squad at all recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭weightlifter

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't know if he's been injured or what but he hasn't really played that much for them this season. The Rabo site has him down as 3+5 for this season and I think he only played in 2 HEC games.

One of the players who has been out of favour since Solomons took over. Not injured, just not fancied by the coach. Very good player. Was excellent in their HEC cup run a couple of years back.

The raid continues.

Biarritz first choice hooker Arnaud Heguy signs for Grenoble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

The raid continues.

Biarritz first choice hooker Arnaud Heguy signs for Grenoble.

That could be a risky move for him, given that Grenoble aren't exactly safe from the drop themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

conf101 wrote: »
    That could be a risky move for him, given that Grenoble aren't exactly safe from the drop themselves

Given Biarritz are gone, any move is a good move. It will take some awful showings for Grenoble to drop. Beating Bayonne at home will essentially guarantee their status in the top flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Interesting that Maurie Fa'asavalu has joined Oyonnax from Quins, I know he's old enough but is a seriously destructive blindside! Rian Smit too from the Cheetahs has always impressed when picked. Be a good 10 for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

It would be good if connacht got another no 10 replacement ronaldson is proving much competition for parks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It would be good if connacht got another no 10 replacement ronaldson is proving much competition for parks.

Have you omitted a word or two by accident?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is Parks signed on for another season?

I can't see another player covering 10 being signed if they've Parks, Ronaldson, and Nikora there for next season. They do need some centres though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Is Parks signed on for another season?

I can't see another player covering 10 being signed if they've Parks, Ronaldson, and Nikora there for next season. They do need some centres though.

There hasn't been any announcement so far that he is or isn't staying. Given his form has been frustratingly inconsistent this year, I think quite a few fans wouldn't be hugely upset to see him go.

We also have Carty to add to that list, though he hasn't really got a look in since Nikora came back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

b.gud wrote: »
    There hasn't been any announcement so far that he is or isn't staying. Given his form has been frustratingly inconsistent this year, I think quite a few fans wouldn't be hugely upset to see him go.

We also have Carty to add to that list, though he hasn't really got a look in since Nikora came back

Is it thought that Parks will move reasonably seamlessly into a coaching role at Connacht? I thought it was implied that would happen.

I'm happy for Parks in a lot of ways. I think he's had a largely positive end to a career that perhaps had more downs than ups. Maybe I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Tonga'uiha has been woeful ever since the change to the scrum laws. He appears to have lost his effectiveness thanks to the hit disappearing, and the process of trying to adapt may have left him with a body shape he's not used to playing rugby in. I'd be curious to see some data on whether the new sequence has had an impact on the body types of successful props.

Biarritz have published their squad for next season, with Nick de Luca joining. Harinordoquy and Yachvili are not listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Biarritz have published their squad for next season, with Nick de Luca joining. Harinordoquy and Yachvili are not listed.

Harinordoquy is retiring apparently and Yachvili is rumoured to be off to Lyon

Pedrie Wannenburg will be leaving Castres in the summer. He's been more or less a flop signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

He's not good enough now that they have signed Paddy McAllister...:D:D

Advertisement