Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Losing Laidlaw is a disaster for Edinburgh. There's no chance of them being able to recruit a player close to his quality.

Edit: Although, going by this thread the Edinburgh fans don't seem too miffed: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6495&start=15

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He'll be replacing Freddie Burns. Not sure what they're going to do at 9!

Did Laidlaw not speak openly in the past of his preference for playing 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    Did Laidlaw not speak openly in the past of his preference for playing 9?

I'm not sure, but my preference is for him to play 9. He's much better there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Losing Laidlaw is a disaster for Edinburgh. There's no chance of them being able to recruit a player close to his quality.

Edit: Although, going by this thread the Edinburgh fans don't seem too miffed: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6495&start=15

I don't think it is too much of a disaster, they'll miss his calming influence though, folk here are happy with the prospect of Grayson Hart and Leonard running 9 and 10 so that's calmed them somewhat.
    It's also seen as a good opportunity for Laidlaw to bolster his pension fund. Hope he has more luck than Rory Lawson down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

So Wales and Lions prop Adam Jones could be moving to the Dragons (of all people) next season, according to Wales Online. He's been targetted by the WRU for a central contract and could nominate Dragons as his region.

Also in Wales, Matt Morgan will not be kept on by Ospreys. That's bananas, he could turn out to be a great player.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is that Morgan the outhalf?

Connacht should try to sign Morgan. Seriously!

Cardiff and Scarlets already have established starters so that leaves the Dragons really. I'd say he'll go to Dragons or a low level Premiership club.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Morgan has always been a bit overrated by posters on here. He's not as good as advertised, but he could be a goid backup for a premiership side, Gloucester might be a good fit I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Confirmation of Hudson to Bristol along with O'Connell

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/11558.php#.Uxc4e_l_tHU

They look well equipped for promotion so hopefully regular Prem Rugby for the lads next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Morgan has always been a bit overrated by posters on here. He's not as good as advertised, but he could be a goid backup for a premiership side, Gloucester might be a good fit I think.

I think that's a bit harsh, the guy is still only 21 and has never had regular first-team rugby so there is still massive room for development in his game. There was talk of Leicester and Northampton being interested but apparently Dragons is the most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He'll be 22 in April so he's still got a good bit of developing to do.

If he does go to the Dragons and so does Adam Jones then with Lee Byrne and Aled Brew coming back they could well be the 2nd best team in Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Connacht should try to sign Morgan. Seriously!

Could compliment our Welsh scrum-half nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Genuinely disappointed to see JOC moving on but I can't blame him. He's 4th choice. He is a guy that could be first choice elsewhere in Ireland. Hopefully he stands out at Bristol and gets a look in at a province.

It's essential Bristol get promoted though or else the move could be a disaster.

Morgan has gone to Bristol: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26448128

They're spending big, they better get promoted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Jesus the Rabo is taking some hit with this Welsh and Scottish exodus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

From a development point of view they are some good signings as they're all young enough players that could take them places.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Only seen Morgan play once a few weeks ago but he tortured the Ulster defence. He looked fantastic.

The only hope for its dwindling competitiveness is the race for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

the welsh and scottish exodus and the irish "not taking it seriously":rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Bristol have also signed Jack Lam. Serious acquisitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Hagz wrote: »
    Bristol have also signed Jack Lam. Serious acquisitions.

...and Matthew Morgan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

jacothelad wrote: »
    ...and Matthew Morgan.

…and Jack O'Connell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

Hagz wrote: »
    …and Jack O'Connell.

...and my axe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Even this season it's evident how much the competitiveness in the league is dropping off. More or less 7 of the 12 teams in the league are absolutely useless, with teams like Cardiff on the steepest downward curve, and whilst Ospreys can still just about be considered a decent team, in 2 seasons if not next season they'll be another joke shop. It's a terrible situation. Looking at the league table this season already shows the massive gulf between the top 5 and everyone else.

All that will be left will be Leinster, Munster, Ulster & Glasgow + 8 mediocre and barely sustainable entities.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Morgan reminds me of Madigan a lot. Fantastic rugby player but lacks the ability to step back and think a few phases ahead and control the game. The AP is the prime place for him to learn that.

Bristol signing some quality fringe players. You'd have to assume joc and Hudson were cheap, relatively speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Even this season it's evident how much the competitiveness in the league is dropping off. More or less 7 of the 12 teams in the league are absolutely useless, with teams like Cardiff on the steepest downward curve, and whilst Ospreys can still just about be considered a decent team, in 2 seasons if not next season they'll be another joke shop. It's a terrible situation. Looking at the league table this season already shows the massive gulf between the top 5 and everyone else.

All that will be left will be Leinster, Munster, Ulster & Glasgow + 8 mediocre and barely sustainable entities.
    Uh the West will rise!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Chris Farrell signed a 1 year deal with Grenoble.. What's surprising is that there is no indication that it's a loan deal.. The article signs off with "the length of the deal could see a return to the Province for Farrell in the not too distant future." Surely Ulster have some buy-back rights.. Most promising 12 in the country in my view.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby/chris-farrell-to-leave-ulster-for-french-pastures-1-5907771?WT.mc_id=Outbrain_text&obref=obinsite

Unless Ulster have agreed to release Farrell early from a contract then they won't have a buy-back clause. By the looks of it Farrell was a free agent and could sign with anyone.

[Jackass] wrote: »

I think there's always been a divide between the big teams and the not so big teams. Take for example:

11/12 6pts between 6th and 7th and then 13 between 7th and 8th
    10/11 11pts between 6th and 7th
    09/10 there was no big gaps really
    08/09 12pts between 4th and 5th
    07/08 7pts between 5th and 6th
    06/07 there was no big gaps

So I'd say we've always had a top 4 or 5 teams each season since 07/08 which have been a good bit stronger than the rest.

I think the Rabo fairs fairly well in this aspect compared to other leagues. Take the Aviva Premiership

11/12 10pts between 5th and 6th
    10/11 9pts between 2nd and 3rd and 8pts between 5th and 6th
    09/10 8pts between 3rd and 4th
    08/09 there was no big gaps
    07/08 7pts between 7th and 8th and then 15 between 8th and 9th
    06/07 8pts between 5th and 6th

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Rabo should take the 6th SA franchise and an Argentina club side. There'd be some great away days.

Advertisement