Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provincial Schools Cups 2013-2014 [MOD NOTE POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

mtwr999 wrote: »
    you mean when he impressed greatly? It's not every year you see a u17 second row start for Ireland u18 schools and perform well... then go on an captaining leinster u19 to a win against Australia schools as an u18, while also scoring a try.
    there is regularly players playing a year under and impressing but as I said that's what people don't say. they say he's a fourth year but what is more relevant is saying he's an u17
    The captaining of a side a year younger is a very impressive feat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Well it's kind of the same thing. If you're in 4th year you will more often than not be u17.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭thetruth_time

The squad going to FIRA should have the best from the youths, schools and exiles. With a second strength squad of the remainder playing in the fixtures the youths play.
    The schools v youths fixture at Christmas should be final trial in selection for each squad though obviously outstanding performances in schools cups/later stages of youths competitions like pan munster etc should give a player another chance to be looked at by irish coaches

Back when you were 'Ormond Lad' on a thread like this a you were complaining about how the youths should be representing Ireland at Fira, I made the suggestion that there should be no Ireland schools/youths teams, just ireland u18 & Ire u18 'A' and you couldn't have disagreed more!

Funny how you you've changed your tune!!

Back when you were 'Ormond Lad' on a thread like this a you were complaining about how the youths should be representing Ireland at Fira, I made the suggestion that there should be no Ireland schools/youths teams, just ireland u18 & Ire u18 'A' and you couldn't have disagreed more!

Funny how you you've changed your tune!!
    Cant have changed any tune if didn't play one in the beginning...
    when the youths competed in the FIRA competition the schools competed in another competition and when that competition was stopped the youths were dumped out of the FIRA for the schools side

Cant have changed any tune if didn't play one in the beginning...
    when the youths competed in the FIRA competition the schools competed in another competition and when that competition was stopped the youths were dumped out of the FIRA for the schools side
    Changed your tune is a phrase people often use.. Not to worry if you don't understand the meaning of the term...

Should have said you've Changed your opinion, there much easier for you to understand.

• Advertisement

Changed your tune is a phrase people often use.. Not to worry if you don't understand the meaning of the term...

Should have said you've Changed your opinion, there much easier for you to understand.
    I understood what you said the first time which Is why I replied in manner I did

Anyway is anyone going to Connacht SSC replay tomorrow? Ive a meeting in Galway City Centre around 3 o clock so should be able to squeeze in the most of the game beforehand?

Hard to predict a winner after last game. Anyone else have a prediction?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I'd have to agree that it would be nice if we could have an u18 side sent to the euros that is a representative of the best players underage that we have be they schools or clubs. I'd like to see it happen.
    But how likely is it to ever happen? Or how difficult would it be Torrey set up such a team? If there was an A team it would fill any worry that it means less players getting time but I suppose you'd have to wonder who could they play. Maybe enter the European B league?
    What do the other elite nations do selection wise?

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I'd have to agree that it would be nice if we could have an u18 side sent to the euros that is a representative of the best players underage that we have be they schools or clubs. I'd like to see it happen.
    But how likely is it to ever happen? Or how difficult would it be Torrey set up such a team? If there was an A team it would fill any worry that it means less players getting time but I suppose you'd have to wonder who could they play. Maybe enter the European B league?
    What do the other elite nations do selection wise?
    France have an A and a B side. England have a side for players already in the premiership academies as under 18s and another side for those not yet or not interested in playing for the pro sides or joining academies.
    Most other countries field just one side
    Its unlikely to ever happen. What European b league?

Sligo Grammar won Connacht Senior title in todays replay. Grammar won 10-9 in tough conditions and deserved victory. Garbally tried to play a bit too wide and would have been better off using their bigger pack a bit closer to breakdown and wearing down their opponents.
    Weather was horrible throughout though not a bad game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Sligo Grammar won Connacht Senior title in todays replay. Grammar won 10-9 in tough conditions and deserved victory. Garbally tried to play a bit too wide and would have been better off using their bigger pack a bit closer to breakdown and wearing down their opponents.
    Weather was horrible throughout though not a bad game

Delighted for them. They should have won last week by all accounts.

• Advertisement

Brewster wrote: »
    Delighted for them. They should have won last week by all accounts.
    Yeah probably.
    Thought last weekends game was better tbh
    That's a Connacht double for some of those Sligo players as Sligo RFC won Connacht u19 league and lost out to Bruff in All Ireland semi last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 13 annelin

it will be involved

Ireland u18 beat Scotland 26-6. Tries from Matthew Gilsenan, Jacob Stockdale (2) and Calvin Nash
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixturesandresults/30298.php

Hagz wrote: »
    Ireland u18 schools beat Scotland 26-6. Tries from Matthew Gilsenan, Jacob Stockdale (2) and Calvin Nash
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixturesandresults/30298.php
    FYP
    Alright win as Scotland aren't the greatest.
    England will be side to beat at this level in FIRA as they've dominated since the change of format for 2011 when schools side replaced youths for Ireland

Don't you mean BYP :pac:

FYP
    Alright win as Scotland aren't the greatest.
    England will be side to beat at this level in FIRA as they've dominated since the change of format for 2011 when schools side replaced youths for Ireland[/quote]
    Not correct... Ireland won Fira in 2011, beat England in the final!!

Not correct... Ireland won Fira in 2011, beat England in the final!!
    What's not correct? England have won all the other competitions and lost just once since they began to send their premier side to the FIRA championships.

That's what I call domination of a competition. 1 loss in 9-10 games over 3 tournaments.

Only school competitions to be decided are 2nd/3rd/4th cups/leagues aren't they?

they've dominated since the change of format for 2011 when schools side replaced youths for Ireland[/quote]
    That is what's not correct. Ireland Schools won the competition in 2011.

That is what's not correct. Ireland Schools won the competition in 2011.
    England have still dominated. Were in final in 2011 and won the other two competitions. So it is correct. They've dominated the competition. 2 wins and a runners up place. in final each year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

England have dominated this competition, I think that is fair and factual.

LS, you'll be happy to know that Leinster are taking the initiative and sending branch reps to the schools around Leinster with the goal of encouraging students to carry on playing rugby after school.

Hagz wrote: »
    LS, you'll be happy to know that Leinster are taking the initiative and sending branch reps to the schools around Leinster with the goal of encouraging students to carry on playing rugby after school.
    Yeah i saw Ward mention it in the Indo. Wonder what they are actually doing to try keep people in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Yeah i saw Ward mention it in the Indo. Wonder what they are actually doing to try keep people in the game.

Yeah it'll be interesting all right to see what tack they take with it. Could never understand why so many talented players from my year, and even less talented ones who enjoyed the sport, dropped out of it to booze and the likes. So many clubs are prioritizing their u20s, free gear and the like, and giving young lads opportunities in the senior squad that they can't really be faulted.

Yeah it'll be interesting all right to see what tack they take with it. Could never understand why so many talented players from my year, and even less talented ones who enjoyed the sport, dropped out of it to booze and the likes. So many clubs are prioritizing their u20s, free gear and the like, and giving young lads opportunities in the senior squad that they can't really be faulted.
    Never mind just the players who are senior 1st xv players but what of the players who are 3rds/4ths etc. They are the ones who dont get the attention from the clubs..

Should there be small "open u19 cups" similar to in Limerick at the end of the season in Dublin. Small cup where all the senior clubs enter sides and play small competition where any kid who attended a rugby playing school is encouraged to play. This could be first step to try keep players who will not have played any rugby outside of a school environment for possibly 5/6 years play for a club before the end of the season and it may help in keeping them playing rugby the following september and on....

I have no idea what they're going to do, but even the simple action of going to the school and encouraging everyone and more importantly explaining to them that there is room for everyone will help draw in a more numbers for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Schools are possibly guilty of not fostering a relationship with the Schools. Some do but a lot are more concerned with immediate goals like winning the cup.
    Clubs do themselves no favours by paying lads to play 20's. If you give a lad a few grand to play for your club when he is that age grade, how is he to be motivated to play for the same clubs seconds/thirds for free after wards?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭RuPi

Why are Dublin schools so far ahead in general? A lot of Ulster schools train just as much but are still off the pace, is it down to resources? Quality of coaching? The culture? Is more done from an earlier age rather than waiting to Senior rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rugby addict

RuPi wrote: »
    Why are Dublin schools so far ahead in general? A lot of Ulster schools train just as much but are still off the pace, is it down to resources? Quality of coaching? The culture? Is more done from an earlier age rather than waiting to Senior rugby?
    The big Dublin schools are coached at higher standard in the early years and therefore have a much better skill set by the time they make it to Senior rugby, when other schools are trying to catch up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

RuPi wrote: »

If you are in a rugby school in leinster you are training 4 days a week from a young age compared to twice a week perhaps in a club.
    Added to that there is the cultural significance of making schools sides
    The number of competitive sides drive up the standards. Methody are as good as most leinster schools but there might only be 1/2/3 tough team for them in ulster. When you see a smaller school like Andrews have 4 Irish u18 it gives you the idea of the standard across the board. The big 6 and around 4 to 5 strong league schools setting high standards for each other make it all very competitive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement