Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provincial Schools Cups 2013-2014 [MOD NOTE POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah, comfortably enough.

The big Methody 12, Conor McKee, will get a lot of the headlines but I thought their full back, Conor Kelly, looked really good.

Josh Bingham looks assured as an out half and created a try with a lovely bit of footwork, he has already played for Ulster U20s, but as mentioned his place kicking was abysmal.

Some decent players on both sides who we may see more of in the future.

McKee was very classy all game, always bet his man or got an offload away, outstanding player on the pitch. Expected more from Bingham, struck the ball terribly all game. Adare for Sullivan looked a better prospect IMO but was guilty of overdoing it a few times.

• Administrators Posts: 53,530 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah, comfortably enough.

The big Methody 12, Conor McKee, will get a lot of the headlines but I thought their full back, Conor Kelly, looked really good.

Josh Bingham looks assured as an out half and created a try with a lovely bit of footwork, he has already played for Ulster U20s, but as mentioned his place kicking was abysmal.

Some decent players on both sides who we may see more of in the future.

The talk over on UAFC is that MCBs junior teams are not as strong as their current senior team, most of which are upper sixth and will be away next year.

Hope for a non-Belfast school to win it next year. Since 1995 it has only been won by schools outside of Belfast twice. :(

Out of curiosity - what would training be like for these top level teams? These lads all look pretty built so I'm sure there's some serious hard work going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

awec wrote: »
    Out of curiosity - what would training be like for these top level teams? These lads all look pretty built so I'm sure there's some serious hard work going in.
    top schools 3 pitch sessions and 3-4 gym sessions a week plus a game a week virtually until the SSC

top schools 3 pitch sessions and 3-4 gym sessions a week plus a game a week virtually until the SSC

What about during the summer? Do they still train?

• Advertisement

What about during the summer? Do they still train?
    The senior squads will start back August pre going back to school minus their provincial representatives

The senior squads will start back August pre going back to school minus their provincial representatives

So there are lads in the schools teams already on the books of the provinces?

So there are lads in the schools teams already on the books of the provinces?
    No. Playing for the schools provincial under 18 side and the provincial under 19/20 sides.
    Under 19s and 20s are sides with players from the traditional rugby schools, players who came up through the youths(clubs) system and then there is players who are on the books and in academies.

Connacht Schools finals tomorrow
    Senior: Garbally v Sligo Grammar.
    Garbally dominate Connacht like Blackrock do Leinster and are looking for their 45th title in 101 years of competition. Sligo are aiming for a 10th title.
    Garbally won league final pre christmas v Sligo 11-6 and will be slight favourites

Junior: St Geralds Castlebar v CBS Roscommon
    Both sides in final for first time Geralds won the league beating Roscommon in that final and may be slight favourites as a result

Both in Sportsground. may go to senior game if I have time

For the first time the finals will be broadcast live on ConnachtRugby.ie and Galwabayfm.ie.
    Coverage will begin at 1:45 ahead of Junior final

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Rock had this years squad doing sessions before they broke up from school last summer weekend mornings down in sandymount strand!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

CGD wrote: »
    Rock had this years squad doing sessions before they broke up from school last summer weekend mornings down in sandymount strand!
    So the poached lads would have been training with them while still at another school?Heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Following the Connacht junior cup game on Twitter. Sound like a belter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Got the end of the game. The quality on show was the best junior game I've seen in years. Remember the name Barry Walsh, I see big things for him. Loves the loop and has a step to kill for. Hope highlights of the game go up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

That was seriously impressive. Lots of attacking ingenuity and for a Junior Cup player to make the conversion Walsh made towards the end in that wind is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

What drama in the senior! 10-3 to Sligo all half they've had all the territory but have created little, Garbally get their one trip into the Sligo 22 and they score near the posts. 10-10. Last minute.

its_phil wrote: »
    Following the Connacht junior cup game on Twitter. Sound like a belter
    It was. Was at the game and it was a fantastic game with great skills for two sides not playing rugby all that long.
    All of the centres were really nice players and full backs excellent(if i was picking 3/4 from each side as very good all would be included) and both sides just wanted to run everything which was fantastic to watch as a neutral.
    its_phil wrote: »
    Got the end of the game. The quality on show was the best junior game I've seen in years. Remember the name Barry Walsh, I see big things for him. Loves the loop and has a step to kill for. Hope highlights of the game go up later.
    fairly sure i heard it being said Highlights up tomorrow.

Senior game: Sligo's centres were superb. Cosgrave normally a backrow but was super at 12 for grammar and worked well with byrne outside him.

Really hope i can get to replay especially if its anything similar to that game

Holy Ghosts v Jesuits game tonight in Donnybrook in aid of Jack Kavanagh
    teams named

Holy Ghost schools side
    1. Eric O'Sullivan(Templeogue)
    2. Hugo Kean(Blackrock)
    3. Jeremy Loughman(Blackrock)
    4. Hugo Diepman(Marys)
    5. James Ryan(Michaels)
    6. Conor Corcoran(Marys)
    7. Alex Penny(Michaels)
    8. Nick Timoney(Blackrock)
    9. David Duggan(Michaels)
    10. Matthew Gilsenan(Michaels)
    11. Terry Kennedy(Marys)
    12. Oisin O'Meara(Michaels)
    13. Jack Power(Blackrock)
    14. Kevin O'Connor(Templeogue)
    15. Joey Carberry(Blackrock)
    16. Jordan Finnegan(Marys)
    17. Conor Whelan(Marys)
    18. Harry Redmond(Michaels)
    19. David Rohan(Templeogue)
    20. Conor Oliver(Blackrock)
    21. Matthew Timmons(Templeogue)
    22. Ben Hoey(Marys)
    23. Adam Leavy(Michaels)

Jesuit schools side
    1. Cormac Marrey(Belvo)
    2. John Molony(Clongowes)
    3. Barry Lysaght(Belvo)
    4. Conor Gleeson(Clongowes)
    5. James Doyle(Belvo)
    6. Will Connors(Clongowes)
    7. Joshua Pim(Clongowes)
    8. Stephen McVeigh(Clongowes)
    9. Rowan Osborne(Clongowes)
    10. Conor Jennings(Belvo)
    11. Cian O'Donoghue(Clongowes)
    12. Adam Marks(Gonzaga)
    13. Colm Mulcahy(Clongowes)
    14. Ciaran Clifford(Belvo)
    15. Alan Hughes(Clongowes)
    16. Jack Hutchinson(Belvo)
    17. Nicolas Rinklin(Clongowes)
    18. Eoghan Byrne(Gonzaga)
    19. Jake Kennedy(Clongowes)
    20. Rory Litchfield(Blevo)
    21. Nick Peters(Gonzaga)
    22. Kevin O'Connor(Gonzaga)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Historyguy941

What do ye think of the winners of the senior cups so far? I know the Connacht final has gone to a replay but wanted to see if ye thought they were deserved?
    Saw the Blackrock/Clongowes final on tv and it honestly imo could have gone either way, which is great to see as it looked dead and won when Blackrock got their second try before the break. Amazing to think Clongowes havent beaten Rock in a final yet...

As for the munster final, having been at the game Crescent were by far the better team although they never got out of second gear. Limited chances for both sides as their big hits from committed defences but the difference was Crescent had the ruthless quality to take theirs. TBH the standard in this years Munster schools senior cup was poor compared to last years, CBC and Rockwell were nowhere near last years quality and in fairness Crescent were very comfortable in their matches after their win against PBC in Cork

Didn't see the Ulster final so don't know the story there.

Would any side outside Leinster have a chance against Blackrock?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Methody would be the only team who might push them, but even they were beaten by more than a score I think when the two played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Was there ever an all Ireland schools cup proposed???? What would people think of that??? And for the likes off schools with small player numbers, could 2 local schools join together. It could increase competition a lot. ...... Or maybe I am wrong.

What do ye think of the winners of the senior cups so far? I know the Connacht final has gone to a replay but wanted to see if ye thought they were deserved?
    Saw the Blackrock/Clongowes final on tv and it honestly imo could have gone either way, which is great to see as it looked dead and won when Blackrock got their second try before the break. Amazing to think Clongowes havent beaten Rock in a final yet...

As for the munster final, having been at the game Crescent were by far the better team although they never got out of second gear. Limited chances for both sides as their big hits from committed defences but the difference was Crescent had the ruthless quality to take theirs. TBH the standard in this years Munster schools senior cup was poor compared to last years, CBC and Rockwell were nowhere near last years quality and in fairness Crescent were very comfortable in their matches after their win against PBC in Cork

Didn't see the Ulster final so don't know the story there.

Think they all were fair and more than deserved. Surprised ASR didn't win Munster but on basis of final CCC deserved the win..
    Methody and maybe with the luckiest of lucky days Crescent but no one else.
    Stan27 wrote: »
    Was there ever an all Ireland schools cup proposed???? What would people think of that??? And for the likes off schools with small player numbers, could 2 local schools join together. It could increase competition a lot. ...... Or maybe I am wrong.
    There wasn't and All Ireland and cant see it ever happening.
    Possibly doing like is done in GAA and you could have mergers of schools and this would be great in area's where schools are not strong but clubs are and the players would all benefit from playing more games.
    This was done to great success in hurling most notably in Waterford, Dublin in Hurling over the years.
    Again I cant see this ever happening

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rugby20920

In my opinion to only team that are as good as rock are clongowes ! Methody would put it up to both of them but crescent certainly wouldn't come close to even challenging them !

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rugby20920

Clongowes and Blackrock were streets ahead of everyone in the country this year

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Jesuit schools 20 - 17 Spiritan schools.

Great match for a great cause, can't wait 'til the jerseys arrive in from Canterbury!

Rugby20920 wrote: »
    Clongowes and Blackrock were streets ahead of everyone in the country this year

Even then there was a chasing pack of Michael's, Newbridge and Belvo who could have knobbled Clongowes on their day. The standard across the board in Leinster the past few years has been phenomenal, the pre-season results across the last few seasons have really reflected that too.

Leinster schools would clean up in any all ireland schools cup.

Even then there was a chasing pack of Michael's, Newbridge and Belvo who could have knobbled Clongowes on their day. The standard across the board in Leinster the past few years has been phenomenal, the pre-season results across the last few seasons have really reflected that too.
    I know its prob been asked before but if all the games pre cup are "pre season" then are just the cup games "in season" games? Isnt that just a small bit ridiculous?

They(big 4/5 schools) have the biggest resources by far, both in terms of numbers and financially, to beat virtually all comers from other provinces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I presume by pre-season results he's talking about the u18 interpros no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What age group are the Ulster schools?

U18 or U19's?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement