Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provincial Schools Cups 2013-2014 [MOD NOTE POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 mtwr999

Not sure you are correct here-you have missed Kiernan/Osborne/Guy and have included Poland/Lappin/balburnie who i understand HAVE NOT been selected. Also it is Matthew Gilsenan

i was guessing, so i think i did a pretty good job.

Props: Porter, O'Donnell, McIlmurray, Kenny.
    Hooker: Molony, Kean.
    Lock: Ryan, O'Connor, Claffey.
    Backrow: Guy, Connors, Jones, Cregan, Deegan.
    Scrumhalf: Duggan, Osborne.
    Outhalf: Gilsenan.
    Centre: Kiernan, Mulcahy, Stockdale, O'Meara.
    Back 3: Nash, McMahon, Power, Carroll, Larmour.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rugby addict

Jordan Larmour is only in fourth year great achievment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Jordan Larmour is only in fourth year great achievment

What school?was he overage for U17 trials this year? Impressive work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

FrannoFan wrote: »
    What school?was he overage for U17 trials this year? Impressive work.

St Andrews. One for the future hopefully..

Guy, Larmour, Osborne, O'Meara were al uninvolved during the interpro's.

• Advertisement

Brewster wrote: »
    St Andrews. One for the future hopefully..

indeed, I believe he is an underage international with hockey aswell but you would hope rugby would hold greater appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Does anyone have the definite squad of 26 because the one posted is not 100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

rughug wrote: »
    Does anyone have the definite squad of 26 because the one posted is not 100% correct.
    Doubt anyone will have one and everyone will have to wait for game/irfu to announce squad.

Schools are announcing on their websites etc of players picked in the squad
    Jack Power and Hugo Keane from Blackrock have made squad.

Shame we will not have our best squad competing in the FIRA competition

Shame we will not have our best squad competing in the FIRA competition

Why do you say that?

what's wrong? My squad was a guess..

• Advertisement

mtwr999 wrote: »
    Why do you say that?
    The squad going to FIRA should have the best from the youths, schools and exiles. With a second strength squad of the remainder playing in the fixtures the youths play.
    The schools v youths fixture at Christmas should be final trial in selection for each squad though obviously outstanding performances in schools cups/later stages of youths competitions like pan munster etc should give a player another chance to be looked at by irish coaches

Why do you say that?

Yeah. Why do you say that we dont have our best squad out. Who isnt available or who is injured.??

My dear man . It would be nigh on impossible
    to pick a squad from that wide expanse of players. The standard of the schools squad at that age is just so much higher that it makes more sense to wait till 19 to marry the clubs and exiles in.Current system is fine. The net is cast wide open and no one misses out.

My dear man . It would be nigh on impossible
    to pick a squad from that wide expanse of players. The standard of the schools squad at that age is just so much higher that it makes more sense to wait till 19 to marry the clubs and exiles in.Current system is fine. The net is cast wide open and no one misses out.
    It wouldn't be nigh on impossible. There would be plenty of players from youths able to make a combined squad just look at 20s this year JOD, AB, PD all comfortably making side and would have done so at 18s no bother as well.
    My point is Ireland is not sending its best side to FIRA. Its sending only some of their best players.

It wouldn't be nigh on impossible. There would be plenty of players from youths able to make a combined squad just look at 20s this year JOD, AB, PD all comfortably making side and would have done so at 18s no bother as well.
    My point is Ireland is not sending its best side to FIRA. Its sending only some of their best players.

massive difference between 20s and 18s... schools usually control if not dominate youths when they play each other at this level..

imagine munster clubs versus leinster schools... it would get ugly

massive difference between 20s and 18s... schools usually control if not dominate youths when they play each other at this level..

imagine munster clubs versus leinster schools... it would get ugly
    Schools normally do win but we should have our best team competing in FIRA. When the youths played in FIRA the schools at least had the 4 nations tournament to play in the UK but when that stopped and there was to be only 1 European under 18 tournament we should have entered a mixed side.

youths will have gotten 3 games this year, one in Italy and two in France..

they aren't missing out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Schools normally do win but we should have our best team competing in FIRA. When the youths played in FIRA the schools at least had the 4 nations tournament to play in the UK but when that stopped and there was to be only 1 European under 18 tournament we should have entered a mixed side.

Lost Sheep you often bleat on about the youths not getting as good a look in at this age grade. The reality is club players have nowhere near the conditioning of their schools counterparts. They quickly make up this gap upon leaving school but at U18 level(4th and 5th years a lot of the time) there is a real physical mis-match.
    Look at the Leinster Cup final, how many club players would be able for it? Also in the same game look at the change in Cleary since going to Clongowes and Carberry and Oliver? No one doubting the youths players ability but the conditioning is a major issue.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Lost Sheep you often bleat on about the youths not getting as good a look in at this age grade. The reality is club players have nowhere near the conditioning of their schools counterparts. They quickly make up this gap upon leaving school but at U18 level(4th and 5th years a lot of the time) there is a real physical mis-match.
    Look at the Leinster Cup final, how many club players would be able for it? Also in the same game look at the change in Cleary since going to Clongowes and Carberry and Oliver? No one doubting the youths players ability but the conditioning is a major issue.
    There isnt a real physical mis match in the very top players. At Leinster Senior Schools final i would say about the top 20 or so youths straight away would and another 20 or so if they put in moe of the training the schools guys can put in

Anyway to get back to rugby. Connacht Senior Development Schools final is in sportsground today between Holy Rosary College Mountbellew v Scoil Chuimsitheach Chiaráin while replay of Senior Schools Cup final is tomorrow

Also irish schools squad of 27 is listed on the munster website
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/18172.php
    Elliott Boyd (Campbell College)
    Peter Claffey (Garbally College)
    Will Connors (Clongowes Wood College)
    Charlie Cregan (St Michael's College)
    Max Deegan (St Michael's College)
    David Duggan (St Michael's College)
    Tim Foley (Cistercian College Roscrea)
    Matthew Gilsenan (St Michael's College)
    Johnny Guy (St Andrews College)
    Greg Jones (St Andrews College)
    Hugo Kean (Blackrock College)
    Conor Kenny (Garbally College)
    Paul Kiernan (Presentation Brothers Cork)
    Jordan Larmour (St Andrews College)
    Conor McIlmurray (Campbell College)
    Alan McMahon (Rockwell College)
    John Molony (Clongowes Wood College)
    Colm Mulcahy (Clongowes Wood College)
    Calvin Nash (Crescent College Comprehensive)
    Sean O'Connor (Rockwell College)
    Conan O'Donnell (Summerhill College)
    Oisin O'Meara (St Michaels College)
    Rowan Osborne (Clongowes Wood College)
    Andrew Porter (St Andrews College)
    Jack Power (Blackrock College)
    James Ryan (St Michael's College)
    Jacob Stockdale (Wallace High School)

Props: Andrew Porter, Conan O'Donnell, Conor McIlmurray, Conor Kenny, Elliott Boyd
    Hooker: Hugo Kean, John Molony.
    Lock: James Ryan, Peter Claffey, Sean O'Connor
    Backrow: Johnny Guy, Max Deegan, Greg Jones, Charlie Cregan, Will Connors.
    Scrumhalf: David Duggan, Rowan Osborne
    Outhalf: Matthew Gilsenan, Tim Foley
    Centre: Jacob Stockdale, Colm Mulcahy, Peter Kiernan, Oisin O'Meara.
    Wing/Fullback: Jack Power, Calvin Nash, Alan McMahon, Jordan Larmour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The a particularly strong year for the u18s.

Hagz wrote: »
    The a particularly strong year for the u18s.

not sure I agree..

Wait, I made a typo. That was supposed to say NOT a particularly strong year.

Hagz wrote: »
    Wait, I made a typo. That was supposed to say NOT a particularly strong year.

i'd say its about average...

Ryan and Stockdale are special players from what i've seen..
    Have heard excellent things about O'Donnell too..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

i'd say its about average...

Ryan and Stockdale are special players from what i've seen..
    Have heard excellent things about O'Donnell too..

Jack Power is a super player too and Gilsenan is returning from last year. There's a scattering of individual talent but not the collective of previous years.

Forgot about Power, he is a very talented player.. interested to see if he starts at 13 or 15.. probably 15..
    Not sure what to make of Gilsenan..

I've only really seen the Leinster players in fairness. Out of the backs Osbourne looks promising and Power and Lamour had storming cup performances. In the pack James Ryan has a big reputation and Keane impressed me in the cup as well.

James Ryan's big reputation is well deserved.. if he was leaving school this year he would be going straight into the leinster academy
    Captained Leinster u19 schools versus Australia, Leinster u18 schools, started for Leinster/Ireland u18 schools last year as a 4th year.

Other u18 players who started for the u19 schools side that beat Oz were John Molony, Will Connors and David Duggan. Max Deegan came off the bench. So you would assume they are relatively highly thought of.

James Ryan's big reputation is well deserved.. if he was leaving school this year he would be going straight into the leinster academy
    Captained Leinster u19 schools versus Australia, Leinster u18 schools, started for Leinster/Ireland u18 schools last year as a 4th year.

Other u18 players who started for the u19 schools side that beat Oz were John Molony, Will Connors and David Duggan. Max Deegan came off the bench. So you would assume they are relatively highly thought of.
    People keep going on about him playing as a 4th year but surely its more relevant to say how he played u18 schools for Leinster/Ireland last year as an under 17 than a fourth year

• Advertisement

People keep going on about him playing as a 4th year but surely its more relevant to say how he played u18 schools for Leinster/Ireland last year as an under 17 than a fourth year

you mean when he impressed greatly? It's not every year you see a u17 second row start for Ireland u18 and perform well... then go on an captaining leinster u19 to a win against Australia schools as an u18, while also scoring a try.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement