Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Does he actually play ANY music any more?
    This never got answered. Does he?

You'd have to ask someone else! :p

You could also take the view that the light hearted chit chat banter market is already very well catered for on radio, what's missing is a decent classical (in its broadest sense) playlist by a station. I'm in a work car today, I don't have an array of cds to choose from, even if I wanted to.

As I said in a previous post, I don't think chit-chat for a mature audience is catered for. I read a page back in this thread, and someone blamed Whelan for Lyric's decline. I can't see a valid argument for that. If Lyric offered wide-ranging and innovative classical music broadcasting, perhaps Whelan's show wouldn't define the station. Breakfast and Drivetime are unique slots because the listenership jumps. Let Marty do his thing in the morning, play single movements of semi-unchallenging pieces in the evening to suit that market, and have everything in between cater for those of us who appreciate a full concerto and enjoy serious discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

As I said in a previous post, I don't think chit-chat for a mature audience is catered for. I read a page back in this thread, and someone blamed Whelan for Lyric's decline. I can't see a valid argument for that. If Lyric offered wide-ranging and innovative classical music broadcasting, perhaps Whelan's show wouldn't define the station. Breakfast and Drivetime are unique slots because the listenership jumps. Let Marty do his thing in the morning, play single movements of semi-unchallenging pieces in the evening to suit that market, and have everything in between cater for those of us who appreciate a full concerto and enjoy serious discussion!

Your views are so close to my own that people will suspect that you too are me. ;) This is it in a nutshell. :) Drivetime or Rise & Shine Time are times for music to help us get by. "There Once Was An Ugly Duckling" and the Hebrew Slave Chorus from Verdi are perfectly suitable for the morning slot. They give a smile or they give us something to sing to each other in the shower or in the car. SingalongaMarty as they used to say. :D

And what Mart does is he gathers up the light classical / crossover / Eurovision audience and shows how all music is as good as any other. I am always sharing his jokes all morning after the Show. And the Marty Recommends feature is excellent for knowing what's coming out from Sony each week. I love love love the Daphne & Myrtle story that's still winding on. The music today was Whose Sorry Now which was so funny after the story. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Blaming all of lyric s woes on Marty alone is ott, I agree, and I've never argued that.

But is waffling about daphne and myrtle, and laughing uproariously at your own (lame, schoolboy) jokes and flirting with the traffic girls really what the"mature audience"wants? Really?

Anyway, I'm back on the road, happily listening to the coffee concert, and enjoying it very much.

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    Your views are so close to my own that people will suspect that you too are me. ;) This is it in a nutshell. :) Drivetime or Rise & Shine Time are times for music to help us get by. "There Once Was An Ugly Duckling" and the Hebrew Slave Chorus from Verdi are perfectly suitable for the morning slot. They give a smile or they give us something to sing to each other in the shower or in the car. SingalongaMarty as they used to say. :D

And what Mart does is he gathers up the light classical / crossover / Eurovision audience and shows how all music is as good as any other. I am always sharing his jokes all morning after the Show. And the Marty Recommends feature is excellent for knowing what's coming out from Sony each week. I love love love the Daphne & Myrtle story that's still winding on. The music today was Whose Sorry Now which was so funny after the story. :D

Maybe I am you! Perhaps I/we/you said that line as a clever means of deflecting attention! To clarify my position: I don't listen to the show, but I am sympathetic to the argument for having it.

I'm happy for you that the show so entertains. I usually have to look to Radio 4 for programmes to which I would give such effusive praise.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Blaming all of lyric s woes on Marty alone is ott, I agree, and I've never argued that.

But is waffling about daphne and myrtle, and laughing uproariously at your own (lame, schoolboy) jokes and flirting with the traffic girls really what the"mature audience"wants? Really?

Anyway, I'm back on the road, happily listening to the coffee concert, and enjoying it very much.

It's important that you not think I'm generalising. What I mean is that a form of mature entertainment, to suit some in that category, is provided by Marty Whelan (I'm not even sure what the show is called - The Marty Whelan Show?). It doesn't appeal to everyone (nor many), but I think is still legitimate.

I'm nearing the end of Prokofiev's Cello Concerto. Equally enjoying it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    the Hebrew Slave Chorus from Verdi are perfectly suitable for the morning slot.

the slave chorus was divine. hopefully Mart will give it a whirl again this week.

Which he did for us yesterday. This is what makes Marty so reliable and his choice of music spot on.

Thanks Marty. :)

• Advertisement

Thought this might interest: How Telegraph readers would change Radio 3 for the better | Telegraph (London)

I LOVE Radio 3, but I don't think Lyric can afford to model itself on it (Radio 3 spends €48m on content whereas Lyric spends €5m), and question whether it should. Certainly, it should at least seek to borrow some aspects (as an aside, we have what is almost certainly the pre-eminent Radio broadcaster in the world in our language and within range - do you ever get the impression that neither Radio 1's nor Lyric's management has ever considered listening-in for tips?!). But a highbrow Arts channel isn't justifiable with a Share of only ~4%, IMO, and would probably shed listeners if the UK precedent is indicative: the populist Classic FM has a share three times that of R3.

Interesting.

R3 has dumbed down terribly over the last ten or a bit more years or so. From the BBC, that really is shameful.

Far too much low grade chatter, and the gravitational force of the Classical FM model and success has pulled it out of its original orbit of classical music for people who know what classical music is, with no compromise in standards to accommodate those who aren't up the level. It has been caught up in the ratings chasing race.

And unfortunately, done so while retaining its two old flaws: a commitment to air and promote too much modern 'classical' music of really low quality; and, while I will understand yet not forgive its sense of responsibility to do so on the grounds of coming with the turf of state funding, an over prominence of UK composers. Despite being a major power of wealth, culture, and world influence over the last 400 years, with many notable contributions in most fields of human endeavour, British mediocrity and under achievement in the field of classical music is quite astonishing. R3 surely recognises this but are obliged to pay it lip service.

Having said all that, it is still pretty good, and I would hope that it might reverse the decline and regain its previous high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Interesting.

R3 has dumbed down terribly over the last ten or a bit more years or so. From the BBC, that really is shameful.

Far too much low grade chatter, and the gravitational force of the Classical FM model and success has pulled it out of its original orbit of classical music for people who know what classical music is, with no compromise in standards to accommodate those who aren't up the level. It has been caught up in the ratings chasing race.

And unfortunately, done so while retaining its two old flaws: a commitment to air and promote too much modern 'classical' music of really low quality; and, while I will understand yet not forgive its sense of responsibility to do so on the grounds of coming with the turf of state funding, an over prominence of UK composers. Despite being a major power of wealth, culture, and world influence over the last 40 years, with many notable contributions in most fields of human endeavour, British mediocrity and under achievement in the field of classical music is quite astonishing. R3 surely recognises this but are obliged to pay it lip service.

Having said all that, it is still pretty good, and I would hope that it might reverse the decline and regain its previous high standard.

Coming from someone who seems to like Marty Whelan's programme, that is really breathtakingly hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Interesting.

And unfortunately, done so while retaining its two old flaws: a commitment to air and promote too much modern 'classical' music of really low quality; and, while I will understand yet not forgive its sense of responsibility to do so on the grounds of coming with the turf of state funding, an over prominence of UK composers. Despite being a major power of wealth, culture, and world influence over the last 400 years, with many notable contributions in most fields of human endeavour, British mediocrity and under achievement in the field of classical music is quite astonishing. R3 surely recognises this but are obliged to pay it lip service.

WTF :confused:

Is that a copy and paste job from somewhere else?

Calina wrote: »
    Coming from someone who seems to like Marty Whelan's programme, that is really breathtakingly hypocritical.

No. Its a case of horses for courses.

The UK has R1 and Classic FM, a greater radio population, a richer government, and a proportionately more sophisticated audience. It can afford to have classical music station as R3 pretty much was, and still to a reasonable degree, is.
    Ireland cannot. With Radio 1 and Newstalk delivering the talk, local radio stations delivering the country music, local gossip and death notices, and umpteen 'character' dj's with their mad japes and playing pop songs of zero musical merit for the borderline unmusical, the next worthwhile sizeable constituency capable of sustaining a radio station genre is that catered for by MITM.

• Advertisement

I must disagree. Radio 3 is, perhaps, less esoteric than it once was, but it remains a terrifically informative, educational, and entertaining station.

I must disagree. Radio 3 is, perhaps, less esoteric than it once was, but it remains a terrifically informative, educational, and entertaining station.

Maybe we are sort of agreeing though. It used to be too esoteric I think. And it still is very informative, educational, and entertaining. But has tended a little too much towards the lists, 'best of's, and efforts to appeal to the casual classical music listener more than it once did.

Maybe we are sort of agreeing though. It used to be too esoteric I think. And it still is very informative, educational, and entertaining. But has tended a little too much towards the lists, 'best of's, and efforts to appear to the casual classical music fan than it once did.

Definitely the case. And, as I've said several times today, I think our equivalent (Lyric) should combine aspects of both R3 and Classic FM (with the balance tipping to the former). I disagree that Whelan's audience sustains Lyric.

My Lyric: projects like "Mozart Monday", "Sibelius Saturday", etc; Marty in the Morning (and nowhere else!); Drivetime which features single-movements from pieces (two of the criticisms of Classic FM are pieces not played in entirety and informal presenter with chatter - I think the first is justified at peak times, but the second is never); an increase in the number of pieces played in full outside those times; increased discussion and documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

No. Its a case of horses for courses.

The UK has R1 and Classic FM, a greater radio population, a richer government, and a proportionately more sophisticated audience. It can afford to have classical music station as R3 pretty much was, and still to a reasonable degree, is.
    Ireland cannot.

And Finland can? In fact, Finland sustains two classical radio stations. I know this because I listen to both of them.

Actual population figures are not the governing factor here. Ireland could very well afford such a station. Dumbing down Lyric FM is not the way to get it though.
    With Radio 1 and Newstalk delivering the talk, local radio stations delivering the country music, local gossip and death notices, and umpteen 'character' dj's with their mad japes and playing pop songs of zero musical merit for the borderline unmusical, the next worthwhile sizeable constituency capable of sustaining a radio station genre is that catered for by MITM.

Actually I cannot believe I have to say this. Pop songs - regardless of how bad they are - actually do have musical merit. Some of them are extremely well constructed, and many of them, their relevance only becomes apparent some years after they are released. In that respect, they are not unlike a lot of classical music. I actually like pop music. And I like rock music.

But they are all over most of the rest of the airwaves. They do not need coverage on Lyric, even at that hour.

Mr Pseudoym - no - I would like a station which is primarily music and not much discussion. For documentaries, Radio 1 is unequalled.

Mr Pseudoym - no - I would like a station which is primarily music and not much discussion. For documentaries, Radio 1 is unequalled.

It would not be especially regular: maybe forty-five minutes at lunch and again in the evening. Lyric currently occasionally airs documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

I suppose the takeaway from those remarks is that BBC3 isn't the placebo that some people think it is and that for this reason Lyric FM paddles its own canoe. I was at the John Wilson in the National Concert Hall and loved it and this is what the Marty Whelan Show brings us day and daily on Lyric. Today's show was interspersed with gags and tales by Les Dawson that really enlivened things. Even Ronan Gilligan from the AA got into the spirit of things and had a few Dawson jokes of his own. He might have a bigger career in radio than just reading out the traffic reports from the way he can tell them. And there was a lovely lovely song from Val Doonican who's 86 today.

Which just goes to show that the dull BBC3 way of doling out heavy classical music isn't the only way and not necessarily the best. Certainly I think the Marty Show will put a smile on the nation's face when the BBC3 would depress us. I never listen to BBC3 during the day unless it's coming through the TV and turned down very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Expunge

The MITM playlist for this morning:
    Concerto For Mandoline, Strings And Harpischord (3rd Movement)Duration 0:02:11Vivaldi, Antonio (classical)
    Core 'NgratoDuration 0:05:07Cardillo, Salvatore (not classical)
    One Day Main Titles 0:02:13Portman, Rachel (not classical)
    Minuet0:04:11 Boccherini, Luigi (overplayed classical)
    Santa Lucia Duration 0:04:42 Cottrau, Teodoro (not classical)
    The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of 0:05:14Simon, Carly (not classical)
    Sentiental Journey Duration 0:03:59Green/Brown/Homer (not classical)
    Meditation From Thais Duration 0:06:21Massenet, Jules (overplayed Classical)
    Time After Time Duration 0:03:31Cahn, Sammy/Styne, Jule (not classical)
    Polovtsian Dances - Allegro VivoDuration 0:01:25 Borodin, Alexander (overplayed classical)
    Play It Sam - Play As Time Goes By Duration 0:05:13 Hupfeld, Herman (not clasical)
    Life Duration 0:04:37Einaudi, Ludovico (crossover)
    The Bare Necessities Duration 0:04:25 Gilkyson, Terry (overplayed not classical)
    Englishman In New York Duration 0:04:38 Sting (sigh, not classical)
    Arrivederci Roma Duration 0:03:39Rascel/Garinei/Sigman (not classical)
    A Fistful Of Dollars Duration 0:03:14Morricone, Ennio(not classical)
    Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)Duration 0:02:21Livingston, Jay/Evans, Ray (not classical)
    Mysterious People Duration 0:02:59Adolphson/Shaper (not classical)
    A Midsummer Night's Dream - Scherzo Duration 0:05:16Mendelssohn, Felix (oh look!, a piece of classical music!!!)
    Granada Duration 0:04:48 Lara, Agustin (not really classical)
    Habanera Duration 0:04:34Bizet Georges ( Marty's speciality, overplayed opera)
    The Bayadere Op.351 Duration 0:02:40Johann Strauss II (classical)
    The Very Thought Of You Duration 0:04:47Noble, Ray (not classical)
    Monteleone Duration 0:03:54Knopfler, Mark (f**k off Lyric, Knopfler)
    Track 12 Duration 0:03:45Mussorgsky, Modest (I'm assuming that's classical)
    Our Day Will Come Duration 0:02:57M.Garson/B. Hilliard (not classical)
    Adelina De Maya (Movement 2)Duration 0:05:16Curiale, Joseph (contemporary classical)
    Luck Be A Lady Duration 0:06:25Loesser, Frank (not classical)
    The Godfather: Love ThemeDuration 0:03:05 Rota, Nino (not classical)
    Mr Wonderful Duration 0:03:03Bock/Weiss 9 (not classical)

Not too many classical in that lot and if they are there, it's classical for slow learning dj's.

And now this morning's playlist (6-9 am) for Classic FM, the biggest commercial station in the UK.
    11% of the UK adult population listen each week in the last set of RAJARS.
    It has a 3.5% market share.....
    The Gadfly - Romance
    Dmitri Shostakovich (overplayed classical)
    Band of Brothers
    Michael Kamen (not classical)
    The Walk to the Paradise Garden
    Frederick Delius (from A village Romeo and Juliet ,an opera Mr Whelan probably never heard of)
    Les Sylphides - Prelude
    Frederic Chopin (classical)
    La Campanella (classical)
    Franz Liszt
    Swan Lake - Scene (Act II)
    Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky (classical)
    Concerto No.10 in E flat major (1)
    Pietro Antonio Locatelli (another classical one to cause Marty problems)
    Cavalleria Rusticana - Intermezzo
    Pietro Mascagni (classical, Marty's heard of this one, alright)
    L'Arlesienne Suite No.1 (1)
    Georges Bizet (1838-1875 : France) (classical)
    Dardanus - Tambourins I & II
    Jean-Philippe Rameau (1683-1764 : France) (Classical: He'd be lost on this one, too)
    Trumpet Concerto in Eb major Hob.VIIe:1 (1)
    Joseph Haydn (classical)
    Spanish Dance No.1
    Manuel De Falla (classical)
    Matinees Musicales Opus 24 (1)
    Benjamin Britten (There's a composer and a country with the same name, fancy that, Marty!)

You get the idea. Every one of those tunes is listenable and enjoyable. No one is resorting to Val f**kin Doonigan or embarrassed to be playing classical music.
    It's presented by Tim Lihoreau, a pleasant presence with just enough links between each tune and NO BANTER.
    Don't give me any crap about the backward Irish not being able to listen to such music in the morning. It works. It could work here if RTE management would grow a set and Whelan was shown the door.

For the record, Lyric's daily reach, from the Q4, 2013 JNLR is 4%
    Share is 1.7%

from ilevel.ie

Let me contribute Radio 3's offering. It's not entirely fair to compare them, because they are different shows and are on at slightly different times. However, below is the playlist of Monday's Breakfast (6-8 am).

Antonio Vivaldi - Concerto for string orchestra (RV.133) in E minor (classical)
    Jacques Offenbach - Barbe-bleue - operetta in 3 acts, Overture (classical)
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Ave verum corpus - motet for chorus and strings (K.618) (classical)
    Jean Sibelius - 5 Pieces for violin and piano (Op.81), no.1; Mazurka (classical)
    Johann Sebastian Bach - Cantata no. 35 BWV.35 (Geist und Seele wird verwirret) (classical)
    Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonata for piano no. 8 (Op.13) ... "Pathetique", 2nd mvt; Adagio cantabile (classical)
    Emmanuel Chabrier - Le Roi malgre lui - opera comique in 3 acts: Act 3, no.16; Danse slave (classical)
    Isaac Albéniz - Tango arr. A.Segovia for guitar
    Sir Charles Villiers - StanfordMorning, communion and evening services in G major Op.81..: no.5; Magnificat (choral)
    Sir Edward Elgar - Chanson de matin (Op.15`2) arr. for chamber orchestra [orig. for violin and pno] (classical)
    Joseph Haydn - Symphony no. 102 (H.1.102) in B flat major, 4th movement; Finale (classical)
    Meirion Williams - Gwynfyd (Paradise)
    Jean-Philippe Rameau - Les Fetes d'Hebe Overture (classical)
    George Gershwin - Cuban overture (classical)
    Anthony Holborne - Heigh ho holiday - galliard for 5 instruments [1599 no.65]
    Igor Stravinsky - Scherzo a la russe (classical)
    Johannes Brahms - Concerto in D major Op.77..: 3rd movement; Allegro giocoso, ma non troppo (classical)
    Karol Szymanowski - 4 Studies Op.4 for piano: no.4 in C major (classical)
    Thomas Tallis - If ye love me for 4 voices (choral)
    Franz von Suppé - Fatinitza - operetta, Marziale nach motiven (classical)
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Symphony no. 40 (K.550) in G minor, 3rd movement; Menuetto (classical)
    Richard Wagner - Tristan und Isolde, Act 3; Liebestod (Mild und leise, wie er lachelt) (opera)
    Antonin Dvorak - Cyprise for string quartet (B.152)..., no.2; V tak mnohem srdci... (classical)
    Sergey Vasilievich Rachmaninov - Prelude in A minor, Op.32, no.8 (classical)
    Claude Debussy - Images pour orchestre (classical)

Breakfast Playlist (31/3) | BBC Radio 3

As I said, I think the comparison is unfair. Here is the playlist for the following programme (Essential Classics) which is more similar to MITM - in that there are guests and more talking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I flip over to Lyric in the mornings in the car, and sometimes catch a bit of classical music - but it's usually an overplayed standard. Then Marty starts blathering and I flip back to news or stick on a CD.

Marty's blather is a brilliant way to turn off Lyric's core audience, while the bits of classical music will turn off everyone else.

Here is the playlist for the following programme (Essential Classics) which is more similar to MITM - in that there are guests and more talking.

Wot, no Val Doonican? Danny Kaye? Leo Sayer? Max Bygraves?

Expunge wrote: »
    The MITM playlist for this morning:
    Concerto For Mandoline, Strings And Harpischord (3rd Movement)Duration 0:02:11Vivaldi, Antonio (classical)
    Core 'NgratoDuration 0:05:07Cardillo, Salvatore (not classical)
    One Day Main Titles 0:02:13Portman, Rachel (not classical)
    Minuet0:04:11 Boccherini, Luigi (overplayed classical)
    Santa Lucia Duration 0:04:42 Cottrau, Teodoro (not classical)
    The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of 0:05:14Simon, Carly (not classical)
    Sentiental Journey Duration 0:03:59Green/Brown/Homer (not classical)
    Meditation From Thais Duration 0:06:21Massenet, Jules (overplayed Classical)
    Time After Time Duration 0:03:31Cahn, Sammy/Styne, Jule (not classical)
    Polovtsian Dances - Allegro VivoDuration 0:01:25 Borodin, Alexander (overplayed classical)
    Play It Sam - Play As Time Goes By Duration 0:05:13 Hupfeld, Herman (not clasical)
    Life Duration 0:04:37Einaudi, Ludovico (crossover)
    The Bare Necessities Duration 0:04:25 Gilkyson, Terry (overplayed not classical)
    Englishman In New York Duration 0:04:38 Sting (sigh, not classical)
    Arrivederci Roma Duration 0:03:39Rascel/Garinei/Sigman (not classical)
    A Fistful Of Dollars Duration 0:03:14Morricone, Ennio(not classical)
    Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)Duration 0:02:21Livingston, Jay/Evans, Ray (not classical)
    Mysterious People Duration 0:02:59Adolphson/Shaper (not classical)
    A Midsummer Night's Dream - Scherzo Duration 0:05:16Mendelssohn, Felix (oh look!, a piece of classical music!!!)
    Granada Duration 0:04:48 Lara, Agustin (not really classical)
    Habanera Duration 0:04:34Bizet Georges ( Marty's speciality, overplayed opera)
    The Bayadere Op.351 Duration 0:02:40Johann Strauss II (classical)
    The Very Thought Of You Duration 0:04:47Noble, Ray (not classical)
    Monteleone Duration 0:03:54Knopfler, Mark (f**k off Lyric, Knopfler)
    Track 12 Duration 0:03:45Mussorgsky, Modest (I'm assuming that's classical)
    Our Day Will Come Duration 0:02:57M.Garson/B. Hilliard (not classical)
    Adelina De Maya (Movement 2)Duration 0:05:16Curiale, Joseph (contemporary classical)
    Luck Be A Lady Duration 0:06:25Loesser, Frank (not classical)
    The Godfather: Love ThemeDuration 0:03:05 Rota, Nino (not classical)
    Mr Wonderful Duration 0:03:03Bock/Weiss 9 (not classical)

Not too many classical in that lot and if they are there, it's classical for slow learning dj's.

Well, there was the Vivaldi for the classical people. And a case can be made from the Borodin as well.
    But, no, the rest is not. But where does it say on the tin that he should play classical music? If your expectation is wrong at the outset, then its no surprise if you are going to be disappointed.

Benjamin Britten (There's a composer and a country with the same name, fancy that, Marty!)

As said, its all about linking - no doubt Marty would have spotted this too and finessed it nicely!:)

How in the name of all that's holy, Mr. P, can you say that MITM is in any way comparable to Essential Classics on Radio 3?
    An informed presenter talking music on a more than superficial level compared to Whelan going through the motions the same usual bland questions in a 'plugging' piece.

With respect, there is no comparision with this or any show on Radio 3 or Classic FM for that matter.

It's presented by Tim Lihoreau, a pleasant presence with just enough links between each tune and NO BANTER.

No banter? All presenters have their flaws, but maybe listening to Mart for a while and he would add that string to his bow.

For the record, Lyric's daily reach, from the Q4, 2013 JNLR is 4%
    Share is 1.7%

from ilevel.ie

Clearly too much heavy classical, not enough 'nice' music, and not enough banter for Seosamh Public.

Marty's blather is a brilliant way to turn off Lyric's core audience, while the bits of classical music will turn off everyone else.

The ideal for you being non-classical music and no blather ? Arent there plenty of stations offering just that ?

How in the name of all that's holy, Mr. P, can you say that MITM is in any way comparable to Essential Classics on Radio 3?
    An informed presenter talking music on a more than superficial level compared to Whelan going through the motions the same usual bland questions in a 'plugging' piece.

With respect, there is no comparision with this or any show on Radio 3 or Classic FM for that matter.

It is more comparable in that both have guests, etc.

I agree that a MITM-type show would never be heard on either.

• Advertisement

But where does it say on the tin that he should play classical music?

In fact, if you poke around on the RTÉ website, it's hard to find anything definitive on what Lyric is for, what sort of music it should play or who the intended audience is.

So they can just stick any old RTÉ staffer on there and schedule whatever they like. Which explains a lot.

The 2006 annual report from RTÉ describes Lyric as:

RTÉ lyric fm, which is a classical music and arts channel

By 2012 it was described as:

RTÉ lyric fm - a unique alternative listening choice for an audience of classical, world music and arts lovers.

No mention of playing Val Doonican songs or chatting up AA girls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement