Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I flipped on Lyric in the car today, and caught a piece of classical music!!

It was... the Gadfly.

So when Yvonne said yesterday:

And in fact Mart plays a lot of the Gadfly

she was not wrong. His playlist of classical standards is that predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Mendelssohn's Fingals Cave on Radio 3 right now. Lovely and nothing remotely elitist about it. No inane chatter either.

We can expect Petroc to "dum de dum bum" over the closing bars, like the Mart does.

NOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

I tuned in twice this morning and got to experience two more great Marty classics....

Apparently, it's US writer Maya Angelou's birthday. So what does our host play to mark this great day?

Red Hurley trying to sound like an African American singing Amazing Grace!:D
    Seriously, is there a brain cell between them on that programme or is the presenter completely out of control?

Later on, in reverential, hushed tones he declared his complete admiration for Martin Luther King Jr above all others. He died on this date (where would Marty be without the calendar?)
    "He was a great man for the old civil disobedience!", declares Walter Kronkite Whelan.
    After this profundity, it was off to Klassik Radio in Germany with me.
    klassikradio.de - mostly light and upbeat classics with breezy presentation - but no Whelan madness, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Yeah, I like Klassik Radio as well. TuneIn.com is great. France Musique has a great overnight show called Nocturne which is also available as a two hour podcast.

Yvonne, most classical music is not heavy. Heavy is Rammstein or Mastodon.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Just waiting now for the results of the Verona competition. If you're not in you can't win. Into the tombola as Mart says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Calina wrote: »
    Yeah, I like Klassik Radio as well. TuneIn.com is great. France Musique has a great overnight show called Nocturne which is also available as a two hour podcast.

Yvonne, most classical music is not heavy. Heavy is Rammstein or Mastodon.

I haven't listened to them in a while but France Musique and FIP for different reasons are excellent. Too busy studying to explore too much on Internet radio til June but will be exploring then. Thanks for the tip about the Finnish stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I haven't listened to them in a while but France Musique and FIP for different reasons are excellent. Too busy studying to explore too much on Internet radio til June but will be exploring then. Thanks for the tip about the Finnish stations.

I tuned in (oh so very briefly) and got a weekly round-up combination of Marty, the traffic guy, his holidays, a Les Dawson joke with some other jokes lined up behind - needless to say that was that.

Can anyone tell me where/how I can get the BBC stations? I have an ordinary radio stereo, a DAB bit on it (which I've never used), a laptop, and a mobile with FM app on it. I also have a square plastic plug-in aerial somewhere that I seem to remember vaguely might get you LW (???) stations? Maybe? Will any of them deliver me from the hell that is MITM? Obviously the stereo or DAB would be best as they have proper speakers. I'm in Dublin.

(That's all a serious question btw, I've never used DAB so no idea what its potential is. And I need away from Lyric before 10am, badly!)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    (That's all a serious question btw, I've never used DAB so no idea what its potential is. And I need away from Lyric before 10am, badly!)

We share your pain. Do you have Broadband? Can you see http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3?

DownBeaten wrote: »
    We share your pain. Do you have Broadband? Can you see http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3?

Woohoo! That works, but on the laptop, so crappy speakers..... better than nothing though :D

Is DAB any use to me? What's DAB for anyway, I tuned it in and from what I can remember all I had was the same stations I had on FM so I never went near it again :confused:

Woohoo! That works, but on the laptop, so crappy speakers..... better than nothing though :D

Is DAB any use to me? What's DAB for anyway, I tuned it in and from what I can remember all I had was the same stations I had on FM so I never went near it again :confused:

Better to listen to good music via crappy speakers than verbal excrement though hifi.

Have you the DAB player manual?

• Advertisement

If you are in Dublin DAB is no use to you at all.

You can get R3 on FM at 90.9 or 92.3, but it's marginal and you may need an outdoor FM aerial for it.

More reliably, it's on satellite and cable. If you have $ky or UPC you will have it.

DownBeaten wrote: »
    Better to listen to good music via crappy speakers than verbal excrement though hifi.

Have you the DAB player manual?

I do somewhere, will dig it out - but am going away for the weekend so no time just now. I'd actually forgotten about it completely - but this has stirred me and I'll investigate when I get back :D

In the meantime I'm sooooo enjoying the calm, reasoned, knowledgeable voice of this presenter (and yes, she's just run a competition, but with no hysteria or in-jokes :D) and the really beautiful music :)

If you are in Dublin DAB is no use to you at all.

You can get R3 on FM at 90.9 or 92.3, but it's marginal and you may need an outdoor FM aerial for it.

More reliably, it's on satellite and cable. If you have $ky or UPC you will have it.

Oooh really?....... *rushes off to turn on the telly* (which is wired into the big stereo speakers)

eta - BINGO!!!!!

Between that and the cute elephants video that appeared on FB this morning, my Friday has been made :D:D:D

There was a short lived classical music station on DAB last year called Pure Classic.
    There were no presenters on it but it was a very good mix of the classics. I think it was a test broadcast. It's still going online, so maybe it'll come back to DAB soon.

pureclassic.ie

Oooh really?....... *rushes off to turn on the telly*

eta - BINGO!!!!!

Between that and the cute elephants video that appeared on FB this morning, my Friday has been made :D:D:D

Well done you! Enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Marty Whelan, the poor man's Terry Wogan.

I didn't win! A woman in Dublin 11 won it. (And Mart dropped her postcard when he plucked it out of the bucket. Me nerves! :D But he found it under his swivel chair.) I'm kind of glad I didn't win because I'm going anyway though.

But what really surprised me is to see that the Travel Department are advertising here on this Thread on Boards.ie. Just above my message a couple of minutes ago was an advert for their trips to Verona for the opera, Lake Garda and Venice. Now it wouldn't be possible to join in the Marty one - unless there's a queue for cancellations. But they're clever lads and lassies to know where to put their ads. :)

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    I didn't win! A woman in Dublin 11 won it. (And Mart dropped her postcard when he plucked it out of the bucket. Me nerves! :D But he found it under his swivel chair.) I'm kind of glad I didn't win because I'm going anyway though.

But what really surprised me is to see that the Travel Department are advertising here on this Thread on Boards.ie. Just above my message a couple of minutes ago was an advert for their trips to Verona for the opera, Lake Garda and Venice. Now it wouldn't be possible to join in the Marty one - unless there's a queue for cancellations. But they're clever lads and lassies to know where to put their ads. :)

This is turning into a slightly surreal parallel conversations thread.... Yvonne/SOL talking to each other/themselves about Verona and "Mart"'s funny foibles, while the rest of us discuss where we can find lovely music and the sound of (the presenters') silence.......

Yeah, Calina,
    I must say I like Pure Classic. I know it's not much more than a jukebox service, but at least the mix is good and the voice overs are done by Irish people. It's like a dream of what could be if someone had the cojones and cash to give it a go.
    Then we could leave Marty, Yvonne/Save/Hugo to their daily horror show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

This is turning into a slightly surreal parallel conversations thread.... Yvonne/SOL talking to each other/themselves about Verona and "Mart"'s funny foibles, while the rest of us discuss where we can find lovely music and the sound of (the presenters') silence.......

:rolleyes:

And who is to blame for that? Check out the thread title.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

And who is to blame for that? Check out the thread title.

Given yours and Yvonne's inability to accept any criticism of your beloved and adored Mart and his programme, I'd say it's yours. Discussion is not possible with you and so, people who'd like a reasonable classical breakfast show are discussing alternatives.

You could fix Marty Whelan's program by increasingly massively the amount of music he has to play (ie, cutting massively the amount of time he gets to force us to listen to the sound of his voice) and cutting the amount of non-classical music he plays (ie, increasing the proportional of classical music he plays).

You and Yvonne bang on about the plain people of Ireland and how they aren't educated enough to know any better than what Mart serves them. It's really very much a lack of ambition on your part and it's grossly insulting. A little self awareness is called for.

You could fix Marty Whelan's program by increasingly massively the amount of music he has to play (ie, cutting massively the amount of time he gets to force us to listen to the sound of his voice) and cutting the amount of non-classical music he plays (ie, increasing the proportional of classical music he plays).

You'd also have to blacklist everything classical he plays now for at least a year - he plays the same few little pieces over and over and over...

You'd also have to blacklist everything classical he plays now for at least a year - he plays the same few little pieces over and over and over...

Yeah but I quite like Shostakovich...

Yeah but I quite like Shostakovich...

We could have a pool: pick a piece, and the first one to appear on the Playlist page wins (we don't actually have to listen to the show to have a winner).

I bags "I Giorni" by Einaudi.

Given yours and Yvonne's inability to accept any criticism of your beloved and adored Mart and his programme, I'd say it's yours. Discussion is not possible with you and so, people who'd like a reasonable classical breakfast show are discussing alternatives.

You and Yvonne bang on about the plain people of Ireland and how they aren't educated enough to know any better than what Mart serves them. It's really very much a lack of ambition on your part and it's grossly insulting. A little self awareness is called for.

Start your own 'Great stations without banter but with heavy classical stuff' thread then.

Oddly enough I find that everyone I talk to in real life who listens to it loves the Marty Whelan Show. :cool:

OK some people like some part more than others but all in all in the round it's liked by the plain people of Ireland. And even if you despise the dull and ignorant - remember that we too have our story to tell. And what stories Mart has! I love his personal anecdotes, his Daphne & Myrtle saga, his banter with the AA people, his extracts from the Goons today, his tributes to Les Dawson as well. But he also mentioned this morning that tomorrow is Herbert von Karajan's anniversary tomorrow and he gave a spin to one of his numbers. :eek:

Ronan Gilligan is gone off now to see the beauties of Brazil for his holliers. He said that all he's packing will fit into his shirt pocket. Typical man! :)

Mart painted Lake Garda, Venona and Venice as really beautiful places to go to and experience in his company and with the Lyric team. He's going to tell us more on Monday about the Berlin trip. I think there will be a competition for that too but it's not sold out yet. But I'm not going so I will have fingers (and everything else :D ) crossed hoping that I win.

Saint Anthony guide!

Are rolls eyes rude. I didn't mean to be. But it. does look a little rude to me now that. I look at it again. but I suppose they wouldn't be there as an option if they were. Hard to be up with all this modern internet etiquette. Sorry if you. took it so, it. just looked like the appropriate family for the post but now I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

his banter with the AA people

:o

We could have a pool: pick a piece, and the first one to appear on the Playlist page wins (we don't actually have to listen to the show to have a winner).

I bags "I Giorni" by Einaudi.

Good one Zube! The beauty is we don't have to listen and be assaulted.

Seeing that next Monday is the anniversary of Billie Holiday's birth, put me down for a few of her tracks. Inappropriate, overplayed classical lollipops in between, of course.

Russel Crowe's birthday next Monday, so we'll definitely have 'Now We are Free' (again) from the Hans Zimmer Gladiator soundtrack.

Ravi Shankar's birthdate on Monday also so there'll be some of that shoehorned in there.

And guess what? It seems it's also Andrew Sach's birthday on Monday - yes Manuel from Fawlty Towers! So we'll surely have both the theme from Fawlty Towers (yet again) and probably a comedy clip from the series as well.
    And that, my friends, is what an RTE producer and presenter get very well paid for from licence fee funds - looking at a celebrity birthday calendar online and putting it on the national arts and music network of the State broadcaster.

It's wrong, wrong, wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Oddly enough I find that everyone I talk to in real life who listens to it loves the Marty Whelan Show. :cool:

OK some people like some part more than others but all in all in the round it's liked by the plain people of Ireland. And even if you despise the dull and ignorant - remember that we too have our story to tell. And what stories Mart has! I love his personal anecdotes, his Daphne & Myrtle saga, his banter with the AA people, his extracts from the Goons today, his tributes to Les Dawson as well. But he also mentioned this morning that tomorrow is Herbert von Karajan's anniversary tomorrow and he gave a spin to one of his numbers. :eek:

Ronan Gilligan is gone off now to see the beauties of Brazil for his holliers. He said that all he's packing will fit into his shirt pocket. Typical man! :)

Mart painted Lake Garda, Venona and Venice as really beautiful places to go to and experience in his company and with the Lyric team. He's going to tell us more on Monday about the Berlin trip. I think there will be a competition for that too but it's not sold out yet. But I'm not going so I will have fingers (and everything else :D ) crossed hoping that I win.

Saint Anthony guide!
    Are rolls eyes rude. I didn't mean to be. But it. does look a little rude to me now that. I look at it again. but I suppose they wouldn't be there as an option if they were. Hard to be up with all this modern internet etiquette. Sorry if you. took it so, it. just looked like the appropriate family for the post but now I'm not sure.

Definitive proof: Yonne/SaveOurLyric are one and the same!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement