Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

I noticed that Niall Carroll was singing Marty's praises today over the lunchtime hour what with Verona and all he's doing for classical music in Ireland. This won't go down well in all Quarters. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    I noticed that Niall Carroll was singing Marty's praises today over the lunchtime hour what with Verona and all he's doing for classical music in Ireland. This won't go down well in all Quarters. :rolleyes:

Did Niall Carroll also play tracks from Johnny Cash's new album today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Sorry, but I didnt hear Niall's Show. Perhaps you could try Amazon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Marty Whelan will be remembered as the man who saved Lyric. I had a listen this morning to his show and it's like a breath of fresh air. Not a care or worry in the world and that's the way it should be. So what he veers off a bit with the natter but it's wonderful radio. A pleasure to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭jmcc

bbability wrote: »
    Marty Whelan will be remembered as the man who saved Lyric.
    He's not dead, is he?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

No, I didn't hear it, but I don't think it's the kind of music that's played at that time. You might have heard it on John Kelly's programme later on. It all blends into one, I know.

jmcc wrote: »
    He's not dead, is he?

Regards...jmcc

???

Marty Whelan will be remembered as the man who saved Lyric. I had a listen this morning to his show and it's like a breath of fresh air. Not a care or worry in the world and that's the way it should be. So what he veers off a bit with the natter but it's wonderful radio. A pleasure to listen to.

That's a lovely thing to say, and I agree with it. :)

I think that's very well put. Thanks.
    In time, it will be seen that without his Trojan efforts and great talent, Lyric would not have survived the slash and burn of public expenditure during the recession. That Lyric is now thriving as we return to more normal governance of our sovereignty, is a great testament to Marty's skill, charisma, tenacity, professionalism, unparalleled gift of the gab, and not least, his great innate musicality.

???
    Well speaking of people in the past tense generally means that they are either dead or fired.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Well speaking of people in the past tense generally means that they are either dead or fired.

Regards...jmcc

Well in that case I'd prefer to see him fired.

Well in that case I'd prefer to see him fired.
    May he have many years of happy babbling for those who like him - just not on LyricFM. :)

Regards...jmcc

May he have many years of happy babbling for those who like him - just not on LyricFM. :)

Regards...jmcc

Well that's nearly gracious and I accept it. :)

Super Yvonne, thanks. If you're not in you can't win!

A big group of us went to <> in the concert hall last night, all dolled up in our finery. I was thinking Marty might have been there but we didn't see him. Early start in the morning in Limerick I guess, so too difficult for him to make it. I'm sure he would have been there otherwise. it was FANTASTIC! I don't think you would hear better in <>. the slave chorus was divine. hopefully Mart will give it a whirl again this week.

Last edited by Itzy; Yesterday at 21:20.

Hey. Whats up with other posters editing my posts ? I didnt think you could do that ? Not very fair. In fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've been in the car for the last 45 minutes, have turned over to Lyric three times and each time I've got Marty talking/telling jokes/reading about bloody Myrtle.

Does he actually play ANY music any more?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've been in the car for the last 45 minutes, have turned over to Lyric three times and each time I've got Marty talking/telling jokes/reading about bloody Myrtle.

We have had La Boheme and Carmen in the past hour. The Verona trip for Carmen in the Arena is on Mid Summer's Day and is sold out Mart was saying. There are still tickets left for the broadcasting trip to Berlin for the Wagner. But Mart is raffling off a trip for two with a chance to mingle with Marty himself and the team and to enjoy the opera.

Ronan Gilligan from the AA is going on his holliers on Friday to Brazil he was saying and Marty is playing a Brazilian song each morning to celebrate. Copacabana. The Girl from Ipanema. Spanish Eyes. The Lonely Bull and so on. To get us in the mood. And lots of funnies about Henry Mancini and the Pink Panther and mankinis. Because Mancici is correctly pronounced as Mankini like Borat wore. Linking you see.

A huge entry for the competition this morning.

And Vladimir the Vivaldi Violin Virtuoso will be in shortly to discuss his up coming recital in the National Concert Hall. After 9.30.

Thanks for the tip off, I know not to try turning over any more so.

What on earth interest would I possibly have in the traffic guy's holiday???

[

QUOTE=Yvonne23R;89740718]We have had La Boheme and Carmen in the past hour. The Verona trip for Carmen in the Arena is on Mid Summer's Day and is sold out Mart was saying. There are still tickets left for the broadcasting trip to Berlin for the Wagner. But Mart is raffling off a trip for two with a chance to mingle with Marty himself and the team and to enjoy the opera.

Ronan Gilligan from the AA is going on his holliers on Friday to Brazil he was saying and Marty is playing a Brazilian song each morning to celebrate. Copacabana. The Girl from Ipanema. Spanish Eyes. The Lonely Bull and so on. To get us in the mood. And lots of funnies about Henry Mancini and the Pink Panther and mankinis. Because Mancici is correctly pronounced as Mankini like Borat wore. Linking you see.

A huge entry for the competition this morning.

And Vladimir the Vivaldi Violin Virtuoso will be in shortly to discuss his up coming recital in the National Concert Hall. After 9.30.[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Thought I'd give my opinion: though I rarely listen to him (it's not quite my "thing"), I find Marty Whelan inoffensive and at times mildly amusing. I can appreciate why many mightn't be so kind.

However, I think RTE is justified in retaining him. IMO, Lyric FM should be defined by its content rather than tone: so long as classical/world music remains the common theme, I don't mind if some of its output is populist in nature. I stress, though, it should be overwhelmingly a "serious" station. In the mornings, Radio 1 gives earnest current affairs; 2FM gives chatter and music targeted at a youth market; commercial stations give alternatives in the same vein as one or the other. For one who is not interested in seriousness at that time and who is old enough to no longer find funny-noises...erm...funny, there would be no alternative were Marty to be chucked. As it is, you have a bright-spirited presenter playing "all the favourites" at a time when most people are in the process of attaining full consciousness, with the rest of the schedule being of a more cerebral bent . RTE, unlike in many other of its operations, can actually be said to be providing public service broadcasting - that which wouldn't be provided in its absence. If you want serious music, throw on a CD.

Thought I'd give my opinion: though I rarely listen to him (it's not quite my "thing"), I find Marty Whelan inoffensive and at times mildly amusing. I can appreciate why many mightn't be so kind.

However, I think RTE is justified in retaining him. IMO, Lyric FM should be defined by its content rather than tone: so long as classical/world music remains the common theme, I don't mind if some of its output is populist in nature. I stress, though, it should be overwhelmingly a "serious" station. In the mornings, Radio 1 gives earnest current affairs; 2FM gives chatter and music targeted at a youth market; commercial stations give alternatives in the same vein as one or the other. For one who is not interested in seriousness at that time and who is old enough to no longer find funny-noises...erm...funny, there would be no alternative were Marty to be chucked. As it is, you have a bright-spirited presenter playing "all the favourites" at a time when most people are in the process of attaining full consciousness, with the rest of the schedule being of a more cerebral bent . RTE, unlike in many other of its operations, can actually be said to be providing public service broadcasting - that which wouldn't be provided in its absence. If you want serious music, throw on a CD.

That is exactly my point but you have said it better and fuller than I could. The Marty Whelan Show is about getting ready for the day ahead before we are ready for Beethoven and heavy music. We can have oceans of that later on when we've had our Weetabix and our first cup of instant! :)

Vladimir was on just now with his baby brother Anton who is also a virtuoso and he is training in the classical violin in Switzerland with the leading violin teacher. And the concert on Monday night in the National Concert Hall with a 25 piece orchestra is going to be attended by more than 100 VIPs from Slovenia and by Irish government ministers and so forth. They didn't give much time for answering the question to win the two tickets though but someone in Dublin 22 won them.

If you want music at all, throw on a CD.

That's my problem (I'm aware I'm posting this for about the hundreth time).

Marty does not play a lot of music. He chatters inanely, tells lame jokes and has some class of ongoing soap opera involving various unlikely characters. He (apparently) discusses the traffic reporters' holiday plans.

I don't want to hear any of this, and nor do most people posting on here.

We want music. On a music station. Why is that so hard to understand :confused:

• Advertisement

That is exactly my point but you have said it better and fuller than I could. The Marty Whelan Show is about getting ready for the day ahead before we are ready for Beethoven and heavy music. We can have oceans of that later on when we've had our Weetabix and our first cup of instant! :)

Vladimir was on just now with his baby brother Anton who is also a virtuoso and he is training in the classical violin in Switzerland with the leading violin teacher. And the concert on Monday night in the National Concert Hall with a 25 piece orchestra is going to be attended by more than 100 VIPs from Slovenia and by Irish government ministers and so forth. They didn't give much time for answering the question to win the two tickets though but someone in Dublin 22 won them.

Slovenia? Isn't he from Slovakia?!

If you want music at all, throw on a CD.

That's my problem (I'm aware I'm posting this for about the hundreth time).

Marty does not play a lot of music. He chatters inanely, tells lame jokes and has some class of ongoing soap opera involving various unlikely characters. He (apparently) discusses the traffic reporters' holiday plans.

I don't want to hear any of this, and nor do most people posting on here.

We want music. On a music station. Why is that so hard to understand :confused:

So, your objection is a lack of music? If there were to be a highbrow discussion at that time would you also object?

Edit: to clarify, I mean a "highbrow discussion" about classical music, a la what appears on BBC Radio 3.

So, your objection is a lack of music? If there were to be a highbrow discussion at that time would you also object?

I would, as it happens. Not as much though. The sheer inanity of it all tips me over the edge.

That always was, and is as far as I'm concerned, a music show. If it was billed as a highbrow discussion show, then so be it. But it's not.

And NOBODY could ever accuse MW of being highbrow.

I would, as it happens. Not as much though. The sheer inanity of it all tips me over the edge.

That always was, and is as far as I'm concerned, a music show. If it was billed as a highbrow discussion show, then so be it. But it's not.

Did you hear the chat with Vladimir and Anton? I know they're from Slovakia. They're very alike. That was highbrown chat brought down to earth because they'e well up on the real classical but they can give it a human touch. As can Mart.

I think you are confusing fun with insanity too. It's all about linking. Mart is rooting out some Les Dawson tapes for tomorrow's show because they did a Tommy Cooper Special on the show today. Today was Pope John Paul's anniversary to that's why we had the bit of John Rutter.

I wasn't making a point with that question; just enquiring!

I sympathise with you, but I do feel that a spectrum of output should be provided. And if you had to accommodate Whelan's programme somewhere in the 7-7 schedule, I'm sure you'd agree that it is already in the most appropriate place. The 2FM breakfast show is similarly bereft of music - that's just the format of breakfast programming. It goes without saying that, whereas one can put on a CD as an alternative to "Mart" (:p), one can't listen to him if there is music in his place.

Did you hear the chat with Vladimir and Anton? I know they're from Slovakia. They're very alike. That was highbrown chat brought down to earth because they'e well up on the real classical but they can give it a human touch. As can Mart.

I think you are confusing fun with insanity too. It's all about linking. Mart is rooting out some Les Dawson tapes for tomorrow's show because they did a Tommy Cooper Special on the show today. Today was Pope John Paul's anniversary to that's why we had the bit of John Rutter.

I didn't mention insanity, I said inanity. There's a difference, although I suppose the former could apply just as well......

No I didn't hear the chat, as you flagged that it was coming up so I didn't switch over. I switch to Lyric in the morning in the (vain) hope of hearing some music. Not Marty giggling away with whoever happens to be on the other microphone, be it traffic reporter or violinist.

I do not want to hear Les Dawson, so I won't be tuning in tomorrow either. Thanks for the advance warning. And what has Tommy Cooper got to do with the price of cabbages?

Anyway, even I'm getting sick of listening to my gripes, which have been VERY well aired by this point, so I'll stop now. Until your next blatant promotion of the show or competitions on it, or a suspected alter ego post, which I'll report again. And again. And again.

I didn't mention insanity, I said inanity. There's a difference, although I suppose the former could apply just as well......

No I didn't hear the chat, as you flagged that it was coming up so I didn't switch over. I switch to Lyric in the morning in the (vain) hope of hearing some music. Not Marty giggling away with whoever happens to be on the other microphone, be it traffic reporter or violinist.

These two paragraphs provided me with several laughs!

Until your next blatant promotion of the show or competitions on it, or a suspected alter ego post, which I'll report again. And again. And again.

Do explain!

Do explain!

I'm sure Yvonne/SaveOurLyric will be back in short order with prime examples to illustrate.

Otherwise, read back through the last few weeks of the thread and you'll see what I mean. Although some posts have been deleted/edited (without explanation) so you may not get the full picture.

I'm sure Yvonne/SaveOurLyric will be back in short order with prime examples to illustrate.

Otherwise, read back through the last few weeks of the thread and you'll see what I mean. Although some posts have been deleted/edited (without explanation) so you may not get the full picture.

Well your mischievousness isn't giving me the full picture either!

This never got answered. Does he?
    I wasn't making a point with that question; just enquiring!

I sympathise with you, but I do feel that a spectrum of output should be provided. And if you had to accommodate Whelan's programme somewhere in the 7-7 schedule, I'm sure you'd agree that it is already in the most appropriate place. The 2FM breakfast show is similarly bereft of music - that's just the format of breakfast programming. It goes without saying that, whereas one can put on a CD as an alternative to "Mart" (:p), one can't listen to him if there is music in his place.

you could also take the view that the light hearted chit chat banter market is already very well catered for on radio, what's missing is a decent classical (in its broadest sense) playlist by a station. I'm in a work car today, I don't have an array of cds to choose from, even if I wanted to .

• Advertisement

Well your mischievousness isn't giving me the full picture either!

Don't mean to be mischievous, I've been slapped before for making allegations so am simply choosing my words carefully (I hope! )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement