Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Definitive proof: Yonne/SaveOurLyric are one and the same!

How appalling! This isn't true and I don't see what makes you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Back in 2010, I posted on facebook:

15 October 2010
    Today is the birthdate of Friedrich Nietzsche, author of the novel Also Sprach Zarathustra which inspired Richard Strauss to write the music later used as the main theme in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

So on Lyric FM, Marty Whelan today celebrated the 15th of October by playing Max Bygraves singing Tulips from Amsterdam, as his birthday is tomorrow, close enough.

15 October 2010
    Today is the birthdate of Friedrich Nietzsche, author of the novel Also Sprach Zarathustra which inspired Richard Strauss to write the music later used as the main theme in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

So on Lyric FM, Marty Whelan today celebrated the 15th of October by playing Max Bygraves singing Tulips from Amsterdam, as his birthday is tomorrow, close enough.

My good man, no ordinary person listening to Lyric FM knows who Friedrick Nietzsche is! ;) And he's not even musical. And the music in that very long and boring film is actually by Johann Strauss the younger not by Richard Strauss who came later.

But everyone has heard of Tulips from Amsterdam. We also sometimes have Danny Kaye singing about his Windmill in Old Amsterdam. And the Ugly Duckling also by Danny Kaye from Wonderful Copenhagen where the Eurovision is on this year. Linking again you see. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    My good man, no ordinary person listening to Lyric FM knows who Friedrick Nietzsche is! ;) And he's not even musical. And the music in that very long and boring film is actually by Johann Strauss the younger not by Richard Strauss who came later.

But everyone has heard of Tulips from Amsterdam. We also sometimes have Danny Kaye singing about his Windmill in Old Amsterdam. And the Ugly Duckling also by Danny Kaye from Wonderful Copenhagen where the Eurovision is on this year. Linking again you see. :)

Yvonne,

I feel sorry for you. It must be very limiting to live in the bubble you inhabit.

Most people have heard of Nietzsche even if they have not read his work. Your opinion of people is needlessly low.

Secondly, there was music from both Richard Strauss and Johann Strauss in the film, and the Richard Strauss is particularly effectively used.

I don't turn on Lyric to hear Danny Kaye. You can praise the linking all you like but it's tedious, unclever and irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

15 October 2010

Impressively cultured, both of you.
    Learning from Marty's linking talent we can make another link from yours, Nietzsche: would he have achieved what he did without his youthful friendship with Wagner? Similar to Mart and his support of some of the talented musicians discussed earlier in this thread. Time for Ride of the Valkerie !

• Advertisement

If that's targeted at me, I don't claim to be cultured.

Calina wrote: »

Sorry, I meant Zubeneschamali and Mart.
    Not that I am suggesting you aren't either Calina.

If you turn on Lyric now Liz Nolan is being exactly like Marty on the Show. Lovely chat, prizes, banter, interviews, a bit of music - including Marty's Jazz Suite!
    But the difference is that Liz probably has a degree and Mart doesn't like most people. Which is why the snobs love Liz but won't appreciate an ordinary man who came up the hard way like Marty Whelan.

If anything, I think the MA(Mus) crowd are a little handicapped and not best skilled to present classical music to typical listeners like ourselves. We dont like to feel inferior to these experts when all we want is some enjoyable music. :(Thats where Mart excels; you know he is one of us, and, you hardly notice him pushing our musical boundaries as he broadens our knowledge of it. And all in such a fun and light touch manner!:)

Definitive proof: Yonne/SaveOurLyric are one and the same!

I cannot fathom how you could reach such a conclusion. This thread swirls with madcap conspiracy theories and accusations!:mad:

• Advertisement

But what really surprised me is to see that the Travel Department are advertising here on this Thread on Boards.ie.

Thats really cool !:D

You will surely enjoy the Carmen. Its probably the best opera ever I think and usually tops the best operas ever lists. There are a few lovely songs in it.

Liz is now playing Dr Zhivago on Lyric. Will there be gripping? Of course not!

But today Mart played Luciano but he gets no credit.

But today Mart played Luciano but he gets no credit.

Thats a bit far out there for me ! Really cant get to grips at all with these modern composers and their experimentation, electronics use etc. But thats Mart for you ! Music for all sorts.:)

The Dr Zhivago is lovely though. Takes me back to the snowy wastes of Russia....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Just in case anyone wants to get away from the Madness that this thread is, I've started one with some basic information to alternatives available between 7 and 10 Monday to Friday. Please no discussion of Marty or His Show on that thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89779241#post89779241

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

Calina wrote: »

Yvonne/SOL is the Irish Sarah Palin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,296 ✭✭✭jmcc

But the difference is that Liz
    She has a nicer voice than Marty. Marty comes across like some kind of pub bore who thinks that his own jokes are the funniest in the world. And as for Marty's attempted banter with the AA people, it gets a bit creepy. But then Liz does seem to know about music and pronounces non-English names well.

Regards...jmcc

I have always been convinced that Liz studied languages at some stage. Her prononciation of French definitely suggests it.

Oddly enough I find that everyone I talk to in real life who listens to it loves the Marty Whelan Show. :cool:
    I'm sure the chats between yourself and SaveOurLyric are the stuff of legend.
    OK some people like some part more than others but all in all in the round it's liked by the plain people of Ireland.
    Rubbish. The phrase "plain people of Ireland" is overused and typically by the Martydom brigade.
    And even if you despise the dull and ignorant - remember that we too have our story to tell.
    Then go tell it on RTE. Go tell it on 2FM. Because the ordinary listeners to LyricFM don't want some low-brow version of Fair City or Coronation Street ripped off from Terry Wogan's idea.
    Mart painted Lake Garda, Venona and Venice as really beautiful places to go to and experience in his company and with the Lyric team.
    Promoting Marty's little travel packages again?

Regards...jmcc

I just realised who Marty and his "links" remind me of - Cliff Clavin from 'Cheers'

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    Promoting Marty's little travel packages again? Regards...jmcc

No indeed. Verone is charming city, and lake Garda is just gorgeous. I challenge anyone who has been there not to concede that it must be one of the most beautiful corners of the world.

• Advertisement

I just realised who Marty and his "links" remind me of - Cliff Clavin from 'Cheers'

Regards...jmcc

Showing the high level of his humour, and making the case I guess that Mart deserves a worldwide audience who would appreciate his talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

:rolleyes:

And who is to blame for that? Check out the thread title.
    Well, on that point, the title used to be "Is Marty Whelan the nadir of the rape of Lyric FM" and the accompanying poll answers were overwhelmingly "yes" in response to the question. ;)

Showing the high level of his humour, and making the case I guess that Mart deserves a worldwide audience who would appreciate his talent.
    Shame the world doesn't feel the same about your beloved Marty then? :)

Regards...jmcc

DownBeaten wrote: »
    Yvonne/SOL is the Irish Sarah Palin.
    Nah. More people listened to Sarah Palin and actually voted for her. You'd hardly think that Marty would have quite the same level of success. :)

Regards...jmcc

Well, on that point, the title used to be "Is Marty Whelan the nadir of the rape of Lyric FM" and the accompanying poll answers were overwhelmingly "yes" in response to the question. ;)

I do not believe you are correct. That was an option in the poll alright, but the thread and title were always as they are today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I do not believe you are correct. That was an option in the poll alright, but the thread and title were always as they are today.

Such an old soul, for so young an account. ;)

And were the results so massively and overwhelmingly anti-Martydom that the poll results had to be zeroed? :)

Regards...jmcc

Such an old soul, for so young an account. ;)

Correct. 'Long time lurker, first time poster' sort of thing. :o

I just felt I had to speak up for the silent majority. Mart getting such a bashing was just to sad to see. :(And Yvonne fighting such a gallant single handed battle against the massing forces, deserved some support to counter the contention that 'you are the only one who like Marty!'. :eek:

And were the results so massively and overwhelmingly anti-Martydom that the poll results had to be zeroed? :)

Regards...jmcc

That would be a question for the webmasters.

I seem to remember it was about 50-50.

Much as in the more recent one :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85656650

So opinions are split. But that is still a lot of people that love that Marty thang.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

this thread is for the discussion of Marty Whelans programme on Lyric. The campaign to remove Marty or don't listen to lyric is to cease. What Marty played or did 3 years ago is not for discussion. Start to discuss his show and it's daily content. Leave the rest at the door or I will close, repeat close this thread and ban this topic from the forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement