Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Can anyone give an explanation why the county team has regressed so much since last year. This hole the players have dug seems to be getting deeper and deeper. I do believe we have the players to beat teams like Clare and Kilkenny but at the moment they seem to give up to easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

At least we'll be guarnteed a quater final spot in the league next year .

What a stupid set up .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

DE DEISE wrote: »
    At least we'll be guarnteed a quater final spot in the league next year .

What a stupid set up .

that's far from gaurneeted with the performances this year:pac::pac:

they should be aiming for straight back up and not stagnating in division 2

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

all this negativity is puzzling. May I remind everyone here of the relegation final 2013.. Clare Versus Cork... their league form didnt hinder their championship.. DEISE ABU

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

<snip>

and who is this hurler???? ur very quick to put down your own paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

Long time reader ,, first time poster..compelled to post due to some of the idiots posting on here particularly the previous one from PaddyPounder

You publically slate amateur players giving up their time to represent their county, which is a joke in my eyes, these guys are heroes , end of!

All This negativity is baffling. We are waiting for Cork in the long grass, nobody giving us a chance. The way waterford has so often in the past thrived on. bring on the rebels

His Ray Barry comment aside, he raises some valid points. What's equally ridiculous is the "ah sure, everything will be grand, it's only the league and sure aren't we waiting in the long grass" attitude. This isn't the 80's. Teams that want to have any chance of competing in the championship need to have a serious amount of preparation done months in advance of the championship. Tactical, mental, physical and most importantly skills work. You can't just rock up in June and hope everything will go right on the day against teams that have all this work done. The league has shown us a serious indicator into how our game against Cork is going to go unless lads start taking their heads out of the sand.

Waterford have gotten progressively worse as each game went on this year. Starting with the Waterford Crystal cup and carrying through the farce that was our league campaign. Even in the first Dublin game which we won we seemed to have a gameplan which simply consisted of hoping Dublin wouldn't score. Balls being knocked into a solitary Seamus Predergast that Mullane would have been doing well to get onto.

Nobody can expect any of the current bunch to perform to the standard of Ken or Mullane who were truly special players but we can expect them to play with the same heart which they just don't. To suggest that players should be exempt from criticism just because they are amateurs is ridiculous. There seems to be very little character in the current Waterford set up. There are a few lads there who do not see anything wrong with heading off travelling for a year in the middle of their prime/development years. Yes, they are entitled to do that but it sums up their attitude and commitment to the team. You wouldn't see any of the Clare set up doing that. One of many reasons why they are winners. Here's hoping they have good craic in Portugal anyway whether they've paid for it out of their own pockets or not. They may be better served taking a long hard look at themselves and getting their act together before the championship starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

redlead wrote: »
    There are a few lads there who do not see anything wrong with heading off travelling for a year in the middle of their prime/development years. Yes, they are entitled to do that but it sums up their attitude and commitment to the team. You wouldn't see any of the Clare set up doing that. One of many reasons why they are winners.

Its exactly what Tony Griffin did a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

Its exactly what Tony Griffin did a couple of years back.

exactly and how many All Irelands does he have now? I am talking about the current Clare set up who are of a similar age group to our current team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paddypounder

Hopefully the trip abroad will sort a few differences out in the camp and not just turn into an excuse for a session, i remember hearing stories of when Kerry went out on there after struggling a bit and players aired their problems with each other and sorted everything out and after they were a much closer group who went on to win many all ireland.

I think the senior players must step up too and lead by example through what could be described as a transitional period for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paddypounder

Sorry lads i taught that a forum was where you would post such news or gossip heard about the county. i will withdraw my comment and will never mention the player again. up the Deise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

F***k me , nobody is happy about the last few performances but some of the sH*t on here is unbelievable, if some people are that pissed off with the team and management then why ye bother following at all, go follow the footballers perhaps, yes we are not in a good position at the moment but at 5 points up yesterday we were playing good hurling ( all be with a couple of exceptions) if sully hadn't been red carded and if Stephan M and Fives hadn't pulled up it could have been a different result, that's sport for you, and they are 3 of the lads you would have been looking for leadership from, yes I agree there are issues with the management and some of their decisions are incredibly hard to understand, but this sort of vicious negativity is of no benefit to anyone (especially the team )other than the sH*t stirrers that appear to have no real interest or understanding of the game, have no problem with anyone making their point a bit of common decency would,nt be to much to ask for ,

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

F***k me , nobody is happy about the last few performances but some of the sH*t on here is unbelievable, if some people are that pissed off with the team and management then why ye bother following at all, go follow the footballers perhaps, yes we are not in a good position at the moment but at 5 points up yesterday we were playing good hurling ( all be with a couple of exceptions) if sully hadn't been red carded and if Stephan M and Fives hadn't pulled up it could have been a different result, that's sport for you, and they are 3 of the lads you would have been looking for leadership from, yes I agree there are issues with the management and some of their decisions are incredibly hard to understand, but this sort of vicious negativity is of no benefit to anyone (especially the team )other than the sH*t stirrers that appear to have no real interest or understanding of the game, have no problem with anyone making their point a bit of common decency would,nt be to much to ask for ,
    Yeh its a pity the match had to go on longer that 8 minutes Wow 5 points up

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Over the 2 games with Dublin when it was 15 v 15 Waterford out scored them 2-16 to 1-10 and that would be 55 mins in total

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

3ships wrote: »
    Over the 2 games with Dublin when it was 15 v 15 Waterford out scored them 2-16 to 1-10 and that would be 55 mins in total

With respect to you as a poster, that all irrelevant now. We are down, no good with the if buts and maybes

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

perhaps Another 8 mins of the same might have been enough, I'm not defending the performance, I was as disappointed as anyone else there, but i don't believe for one second that the level of unconstructive personal abuse is going to make the next performance any better and that is what we are looking for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Lads this GAA forum is going downhill fast. A lot of "new" posters whose comments are poor to say the least. A mod needed to go over recent posts as personal attacks are bang out of order. Yes the league was disappointing and I would be worried for championship, but league is league and championship is what the management will fall or rise on. Relegation imo was always a strong possibility and we deserved what we got. No excuses about who we are missing or what decisions went against us. Panel is not as strong as some on here think. Some of the players tried in the league have done well and will push for a starting place but our strength in depth is weak, and I think our management team is too inexperienced for intercounty management. I'm sure the players and management are giving it all and will for championship but our expectations have to be realistic. Anything up to and beyond a quarter final in championship is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Lads this GAA forum is going downhill fast. A lot of "new" posters whose comments are poor to say the least. A mod needed to go over recent posts as personal attacks are bang out of order. Yes the league was disappointing and I would be worried for championship, but league is league and championship is what the management will fall or rise on. Relegation imo was always a strong possibility and we deserved what we got. No excuses about who we are missing or what decisions went against us. Panel is not as strong as some on here think. Some of the players tried in the league have done well and will push for a starting place but our strength in depth is weak, and I think our management team is too inexperienced for intercounty management. I'm sure the players and management are giving it all and will for championship but our expectations have to be realistic. Anything up to and beyond a quarter final in championship is a bonus.
    no match for 2 months it will be back to the regulars for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

This forum has reached a new low with people coming out and naming players and accusing them of this that and the other – I would like to see how well ye would do following these players lifestyles for a few weeks, Regardless of the results on the field these lads – many in their young 20’s are putting in a lot of work on and off the field, this whilst going to college or finding it difficult to even find a job after. Its not just what you see on the field on a league day, think about all the physical training these guys are doing, coupled with the work in the gym, the training is the easy part of it, the nutrition is the big side of it – getting your macro nutrient splits correct – making sure you are taking enough on board to not only compensate for the hard training but to than build quality muscle as well, the takes long term commitment week after week, month after month, year after year.
    I always have the upmost respect for anyone who represents their county, but these days it has been taken on to a new level. Anyone who feels they are in a position to sh*t down on that effort can only be one thing – Clueless to the amount of effort required.

By the way one young player in particular from Lismore seems to get mentioned more than anyone else on this forum- give it up, leave him alone, many times it is someone with very little posts doing it, it’s boring at this stage, to be honest I think a poster who is jumping to his defence is probably being trolled. How else can someone say he shouldnt be on the panel when you compare his league to everyone elses, it is either malicious or his buddies having a laugh- either way if it is ignored they will get bored and it will stop

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Just to move on from these personal attacks- A question to the genuine posters - Have management left anyone out of the panel that they haven't looked at or might be worth a look at during the championship? From clubs like Abbeyside,Roanmore ballyduff upper passage etc players that might be worth another look at maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 avonmore

Slobbery wrote: »
    This forum has reached a new low with people coming out and naming players and accusing them of this that and the other – I would like to see how well ye would do following these players lifestyles for a few weeks, Regardless of the results on the field these lads – many in their young 20’s are putting in a lot of work on and off the field, this whilst going to college or finding it difficult to even find a job after. Its not just what you see on the field on a league day, think about all the physical training these guys are doing, coupled with the work in the gym, the training is the easy part of it, the nutrition is the big side of it – getting your macro nutrient splits correct – making sure you are taking enough on board to not only compensate for the hard training but to than build quality muscle as well, the takes long term commitment week after week, month after month, year after year.
    I always have the upmost respect for anyone who represents their county, but these days it has been taken on to a new level. Anyone who feels they are in a position to sh*t down on that effort can only be one thing – Clueless to the amount of effort required.

By the way one young player in particular from Lismore seems to get mentioned more than anyone else on this forum- give it up, leave him alone, many times it is someone with very little posts doing it, it’s boring at this stage, to be honest I think a poster who is jumping to his defence is probably being trolled. How else can someone say he shouldnt be on the panel when you compare his league to everyone elses, it is either malicious or his buddies having a laugh- either way if it is ignored they will get bored and it will stop

Sound man.

Just to point out, I'm not jumping to any one lad's defence.

It's just that I have seen the hurt these lies and innuendo cause to the families of players who have borne the brunt of this type of lies and s**ite down through the years.

The lad mentioned, I do not know personally but for someone to come on here, because he obviously has a personal vendetta against the guy, and make baseless rumours about him is outrageous.

As I said on a previous post, there were two or three great lads who came in for an inordinate amount of this type of abuse from 98 on.

Better servants to Waterford hurling you would never find, All Stars each and all, but it seemed to me the more high profile they got, the bigger the lies became about them.

It's one thing these stories emanating from outside the county, but it's another thing when it's a so called Waterford supporter at it.

The problem is, they and their families don't have a chance to refute these lies and confront the scumbags who libel them.

As the saying goes, you can knock a person's house down and rebuild it but once you take his good name it's out there and there is no comeback.

I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement

cul beag wrote: »
    Just to move on from these personal attacks- A question to the genuine posters - Have management left anyone out of the panel that they haven't looked at or might be worth a look at during the championship? From clubs like Abbeyside,Roanmore ballyduff upper passage etc players that might be worth another look at maybe?
    No I don't think there's many that are left out, We're badly in need of a ball winner. DJ Foran and Cormac Curran will be great additions but that's not for 2/3 years. I hated seeing every puckout to our half forward line yesterday, it was bread and butter for the Dublin half back line

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Deskjockey wrote: »
    The team were very close to being relegated last year and beat a flaky Galway team at home in the league to avoid that relegation playoff. This year with only two home games was always going to be difficult to stay up, and so it has proved. Yes the team played well against Kilkenny in the championship last year and we'll see how these players do this year. I think certain posters here have had the knives out for D McGrath from word go this year, the same way as other posters had the knives out for M Ryan last year from word go. (Personally I would have given M Ryan another year after signs of progress last year but Derek McGrath is the manager in situ now. )
    Look we're all disappointed the way we have been relegated but it has been coming. You say there is no goal threat there. That's the exact same as last year ( and the last couple of years) we just are lacking some forwards unfortunately.

Who should have been relegated in our place this year seeing as we are entitled to stay up every year??

I don't have knives out for Derek McGrath. I have no agenda against the man. I have knives out for the brand of football- hurling being played. I have knives out for the lack of organisation in the backline. I have knives out for the lack of a pattern of play in the forward line. I have knives out for consistent short passing , too much soloing and over- carrying. I have knives out for pick and poke hurling. I have knives out for the failure to play proper ball into the forward line. You will note that I have not made an ugly personal attack on any player. I have criticized the pattern of play. I have never criticised Derek McGrath as a person. I am criticising the way he has set up to team to play. I want him to change it. I want to see more direct hurling/ground hurling. I want to see speed of striking improved. In general Waterford players are slower strikers than Kilkenny players. Skill levels of players need to be improved. I don't want to see us humiliated by the langers once more. We have only got ten weeks left.
    I want to see Derek McGrath succeed. I wish him well. I have offered suggestions as to how I think this can be turned around. I am not expecting an All Ireland win anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Heartless, Gutless, No hunger, No passion what has happened to us in the past even if we weren't the best team of hurlers we still gave it everything and left it all out on the pitch. Had the players given it their all I would have no problem but to see so many of them out there going through the motions sickened me, it should be an honor and a privilege to wear the Waterford jersey and every single one of them should be giving their all when they pull it on.

Yesterday was another horror show and one i fully expected. Players like noel connors and brick walsh seem to have regressed at an alarming rate when they should be standing up and leading this team. We lack leaders throughout the pitch from 1-15 gone are the inspirational men of the likes of Ken Mcgrath and Dan the Man who could grap the game by the scruff of the neck and will us to victory.

The defence is shipping goals left right and centre and something has to be done about this. Players such as Jerome Maher, who was outstanding for wit in their fitz win and has been playing super hurling for his club and Paudi Prendergast who looked promising in spells last year, should be players getting a run and chance in this side. You have a grudge against the above named player. Grow up and broaden your outlook.

Up front we look scared to have a go and I personally don't think Ray Barry should be anywhere near the county set up not skilled enough and has a questionable attitude.

I no we have had a lot of injuries but good teams should be able to overcome missing a few players. Derek has his work cut out from here till the 25th of May and i just can't see us getting anywhere near Cork at the present time i hope i am proved wrong.
    How many All Ireland medals have you won? What constructive suggestions have you offered? It is quite obvious to me where you are coming from in relation to an ugly attack on the above named player. The above comment is a fair clue to your real identity. Shame on you for making an ugly personal attack on an amateur player. You have a grudge against the above named player. Grow up and drop your parochial nonsense. You- with your three posts-came on here to blacken a particular player. What a sad agenda!! Go away and get a life for yourself!! Let the rest of us here debate as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭parish girl

Am beginning to realise that this forum is just a bullying mechanism for some peolpe. Cyber bullying in other words. Think the moderator needs to stand up and be counted quick:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,540 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Folks, you need to report the posts so the mods see them. Its a busy forum and they cant be expected to read every post, so best to give them a helping hand by using the report post button

cul beag wrote: »

DJ Foran is a big lad, although still very young, he might be worth a look.

Kieran Power also, this guy has loads of hurling and is afraid of nothing.

Mikey Kearney is another great prospect.

These three lads are still very young however and it might be a year too soon.

Shane Walsh from Ballygunner is very underestimated, extremely strong under a ball at half back or centre field and is very honest.

No doubt, Stephen Bennett is our best chance of a goal getter but the lad needs a lot of minding.

I honestly think our best bet though to make a break through for a regular position in the short term is Shane McNulty. I definitely think this lad what it takes. He could do a job for us in a number of different positions as the ground gets harder.

avonmore wrote: »
    DJ Foran is a big lad, although still very young, he might be worth a look.

Kieran Power also, this guy has loads of hurling and is afraid of nothing.

Mikey Kearney is another great prospect.

These three lads are still very young however and it might be a year too soon.

Shane Walsh from Ballygunner is very underestimated, extremely strong under a ball at half back or centre field and is very honest.

No doubt, Stephen Bennett is our best chance of a goal getter but the lad needs a lot of minding.

I honestly think our best bet though to make a break through for a regular position in the short term is Shane McNulty. I definitely think this lad what it takes. He could do a job for us in a number of different positions as the ground gets harder.
    Where would you play Mcnulty though? I think Tadhg Bourke is a better option at corner back and it would be very tough to break into the wing back line..

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Where would you play Mcnulty though? I think Tadhg Bourke is a better option at corner back and it would be very tough to break into the wing back line..

DLS have used him to good effect a few times at centre field and in the half forward line. He's a very versatile hurler with plenty of skill and pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

avonmore wrote: »
    Sound man.

Just to point out, I'm not jumping to any one lad's defence.

It's just that I have seen the hurt these lies and innuendo cause to the families of players who have borne the brunt of this type of lies and s**ite down through the years.

The lad mentioned, I do not know personally but for someone to come on here, because he obviously has a personal vendetta against the guy, and make baseless rumours about him is outrageous.

As I said on a previous post, there were two or three great lads who came in for an inordinate amount of this type of abuse from 98 on.

Better servants to Waterford hurling you would never find, All Stars each and all, but it seemed to me the more high profile they got, the bigger the lies became about them.

It's one thing these stories emanating from outside the county, but it's another thing when it's a so called Waterford supporter at it.

The problem is, they and their families don't have a chance to refute these lies and confront the scumbags who libel them.

As the saying goes, you can knock a person's house down and rebuild it but once you take his good name it's out there and there is no comeback.

I'll leave it at that.

Hi - ya I totally agree with you - and I wasnt thinking of you by the way with my comment. but as you say this forum has been nothing short of scandalous the last while, it is one thing trying to get a reaction or reponse from people but there is alot of nasty and personal stuff on here.

I think this topic needs to be cleaned up a lot by moderators to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,090 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Where have eamonn Murphy and Eoin Madigan gone too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement